PDA

View Full Version : Jake Delhomme or Charlie Batch?

tony hipchest
03-05-2010, 12:14 PM
....assuming the same price. delhomme has already earned a 12 million bonus this season and his base salary was only $1.5. if money is all the same, i think it would be an upgrade.

batch doesnt even seem capable of competing for the #2 back up. i think delhomme could still compete with dixon.

MDSteel15
03-05-2010, 12:18 PM
BATCH!!!

Northside Jonny
03-05-2010, 12:20 PM
At this point its not really a good fit for either IMO. It looks like Dixon can be a solid backup, I believe it would be cost effective to draft a late round QB and sign a UDFA or 2 and let them compete for the 3rd spot.

kirklandrules
03-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Batch for sure ... he's always pulling Ben aside to give him an extra perspective. So for a decent 3rd stringer you get an aged veteran that has our franchise QB's ear. Plus, being in Charlotte, I got to see Jake play quite a bit. I've said it a thousand times, Jake Delhomme is a poor man's Brett Favre. You get all the chucking of the ball, poor decisions and interceptions without too much of the fabulous "how did he get that in there" throws. This past year Jake reminded me of Tommy Maddox in his last year with the Steelers. Remember how Tommy would drop back you just worried it would be another pick six???? Well that's Jake. At least with Batch I'm not worried he'll toss it to the other team.

Nadroj 20
03-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Im not sure about either when i think Dixon is a good backup.

pete74
03-05-2010, 12:58 PM
definatly batch. delhomme had me so freaking mad this season because i had deangelo williams on my fantasy team and he lost many chances to run the ball thanks to delhomme's picks. he is equvilent to russell(oakland) in my mind

Steeldude
03-05-2010, 01:05 PM
delhomme over batch is an upgrade. if batch isn't around the steelers need someone to be the backup.

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Batch, and next year a rookie.

steelreserve
03-05-2010, 01:29 PM
I honestly don't want either one. We might as well just get a third QB out of the garbage can anyway.

xbroughneck
03-05-2010, 01:54 PM
delhomme over batch is an upgrade. if batch isn't around the steelers need someone to be the backup.

Dixon is the backup.

Delhomme has figured out how to throw interceptions at the worst part of the game. I thought he was stellar in that Super Bowl he lost, but that ain't the guy playing now.

He's a drive killer (NOW) and in an Arian pass happy offense, would break the back of his fellow teammates by throwing a pick that would cost the game.

Big Ben, then Dixon,...then the 3rd guy won't matter. Heck, could be Hines Ward in an emergency.

Saying no to the guy from the Panthers.

SteelMember
03-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Which ever one is the most proficient at holding the clipboard... and takes less pay. :chuckle:

I don't think I'd want to see either of these guys on the field, but if it came down to picking, and I guess that's what were doing here, I'd say Batch...

Just for the mentor role. I think he has proven he can work with Ben... and Dixon, for that matter.

tony hipchest
03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
well, since the question was, for the same price who would be a better number 3, i would most certainly want delhomme (if it came to getting in a game).

there is nothing that suggests delhomme is a poor leader, or mentor (his only downside is he doesnt know the playbook).

batch is getting progressively worse (i think getting hurt the last 3 times he was asked to do more than hand off).

at this point i fear he would break his hand holding a clipboard and tear a rotator cuff trying to write on it. God forbid he is asked to hand off to mendenhall- he'd tear an achilles.

SteelerFanInStl
03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Delhomme is terrible. I don't want him on the Steelers. Batch is good at helping the other two QBs. Basically another coach on the sideline.

xbroughneck
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
8 touchdowns and 18 interceptions this year.:doh:

I'll take an injured Batch thank you. Interceptions are killers.

HometownGal
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Ughhhh. That's a tough one. I think Delhomme is the better QB talent wise but Batch is a better mentor. Both are injury prone and tend to have happy feet.

I'd have to go with Delhomme by a gnat's eyelash.

OneForTheToe
03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
well, since the question was, for the same price who would be a better number 3, i would most certainly want delhomme (if it came to getting in a game).

there is nothing that suggests delhomme is a poor leader, or mentor (his only downside is he doesnt know the playbook).

batch is getting progressively worse (i think getting hurt the last 3 times he was asked to do more than hand off).

at this point i fear he would break his hand holding a clipboard and tear a rotator cuff trying to write on it. God forbid he is asked to hand off to mendenhall- he'd tear an achilles.

I have to agree. I like Charlie, but he would end up on IR after ten minutes in a sewing circle. As for Dixon, I do like him for a number two, but let's not get overexcited about him. He had one ok game filling in for Ben. I'm not willing to stake our season on him if Ben goes down.

Also, Delhomme has led his team to a Super Bowl. He just seems to be in an int funk right now. Remember there was a guy in Green Bay a few years ago who had int-idious, and he recovered from it this season. I'm not saying Delhomme is Brett Favre, but decent QBs can get in and out of funks over their careers. I wouldn't pay him more than back-up money but at that I'd say maybe at least.

If you want Charlie as a mentor, higher him as a coach. He might be able to make it through the season as a coach, as long as someone walked in front of him looking for gopher holes.

SteelMember
03-05-2010, 02:48 PM

:laughing:

Well, has Batch ever been called out like Smith did to Homme?

“Hey, I know you feel like crap. I mean, you’re not a very handsome guy anyway, so. But, the performer, the quarterback … I never really liked you as a quarterback. But as a person, that’s who I love. I love you as a person.”

--I know he was joking... hopefully. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Delhomme is terrible. I don't want him on the Steelers. Batch is good at helping the other two QBs. Basically another coach on the sideline.coaches dont count towards the salary cap... batch does

8 touchdowns and 18 interceptions this year.:doh:

I'll take an injured Batch thank you. Interceptions are killers.batch doesnt throw interceptions because he isnt allowed to throw the ball. in the rare instances he has been allowed to throw, ever pass looks like its gonna get picked or skip off the ground.

at this point in his career he is physically uncapable of completing a ball to mike wallace.

why dont people see that he no longer has an arm? thats not good.

(fwiw i think delhomme was instrumental in developing and mentoring matt moore and josh mccown)

SteelMember
03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
I'd rather have a guy like Chris Redman. He did a pretty good job filling in for Matt Ryan last year, and no one is pounding down his door to give him a wheel barrow full of money.

Guess that's for a different thread.

Think we can sqeeze it in between all those Thomas ones?

SteelerFanInStl
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
coaches dont count towards the salary cap... batch does

Well, If you want a guy at #3 who can step in and win a game for you, then Delhomme certainly isn't the answer either.

tony hipchest
03-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Well, If you want a guy at #3 who can step in and win a game for you, then Delhomme certainly isn't the answer either.he won enough games to get his team in the NFC champ game about 400 days ago.

qb's dont just suddenly forget how to throw the ball. just ask warner or favre.

SteelerFanInStl
03-05-2010, 03:05 PM
he won enough games to get his team in the NFC champ game about 400 days ago.

qb's dont just suddenly forget how to throw the ball. just ask warner or favre.

You didn't just compare Delhomme to Warner and Favre did you? :sofunny:

Why would the Panthers dump Delhomme despite still owing him $12m and thinking so highly of him if he was still a capable QB?

MACH1
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
....assuming the same price. delhomme has already earned a 12 million bonus this season and his base salary was only $1.5. if money is all the same, i think it would be an upgrade.

batch doesnt even seem capable of competing for the #2 back up. i think delhomme could still compete with dixon.

We may just end up looking for a new #1 altogether. :banging:

I think delhomme would make a good #2.

Prok
03-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Was just gonna say we may need BOTH QB's...:banging:

Given the choice between Batch and Delhomme though I'd take Jake in a heartbeat.

At least he's not near as injury prone as Batch is. Both are same talent-wise IMO.

Psyychoward86
03-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Lol, explain this to us? And Delhomme doesnt even know our system. At all.

Prok
03-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Hypothetical- Since we have very little to compare the 2...

What do you think the Panthers would have been like had Batch been their starter over the years?

Psyychoward86
03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Hypothetical- Since we have very little to compare the 2...

What do you think the Panthers would have been like had Batch been their starter over the years?

That's different. Batch knows our offense backwards and forwards. Delhomme doesnt. I see what kind of point you're making though because yeah, they're both on the downside of their careers.

tony hipchest
03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
You didn't just compare Delhomme to Warner and Favre did you? :sofunny:

Why would the Panthers dump Delhomme despite still owing him $12m and thinking so highly of him if he was still a capable QB?favre and warner didnt forget how to throw the ball, did they? yes i compared them. favre has thrown more interceptions than anyone in the history of the game. he led the league in interceptions very recently.

go back and take a look at what favre and warner did after they (and their huge salaries) were dumped by their primary team near what was supposed to be the end of their career.

delhomme and his $12 million bonus was dumped in a salary slash. the panthers found it prudent to eat the entire amount in an uncapped year as opposed to eating $4 mil/season for the next 3.

SteelerFanInStl
03-06-2010, 09:46 AM
favre and warner didnt forget how to throw the ball, did they? yes i compared them. favre has thrown more interceptions than anyone in the history of the game. he led the league in interceptions very recently.

go back and take a look at what favre and warner did after they (and their huge salaries) were dumped by their primary team near what was supposed to be the end of their career.

delhomme and his $12 million bonus was dumped in a salary slash. the panthers found it prudent to eat the entire amount in an uncapped year as opposed to eating $4 mil/season for the next 3.

Favre and Warner = future HOFers. Delhomme = NOT

Warner had injury problems for years and wasn't given much opportunity when he was with the Giants because they wanted Manning to be the starter. Favre wasn't dumped by the Packers, he retired.

Delhomme has a career QB rating of 82.1 with 123 TD and 94 INT. He's never been anything more than a serviceable starting QB that you hope doesn't cost you the game.

Steeldude
03-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Dixon is the backup.

i would rather have a QB as the backup QB :drink:

Steeldude
03-06-2010, 01:39 PM

explain what? how delhomme is a proven veteran QB? i would say he is more durable than batch at this point in their careers.

are you saying delhomme is incapable of learning the system in the off-season? did batch know the system before being signed? did maddox know the system before being signed? the list goes on and on and on....

solardave
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Delhomme has his best days behind him. I agree he would throw picks at exactly the wrong time and often. we don't need him. I say BB, Dixon and a late draft pick. Give Batch a job on the sidelines. Hell make him the QB coach. Him and Ben have a good relationship.

Prok
03-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Delhomme has his best days behind him. I agree he would throw picks at exactly the wrong time and often. we don't need him. I say BB, Dixon and a late draft pick. Give Batch a job on the sidelines. Hell make him the QB coach. Him and Ben have a good relationship.

Oh how i'd love to debating this issue with you. However, since we are in the midst of another investigation of our starting QB I just can't find it in me for a good old-fashioned QB debate....

:wink02:

:banging:

Kaeg
03-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Based solely on this past season; Batch without hesitation. I know he wasn't in much, but Jake WAS. And that was the Panthers' main problem.

rick723
03-06-2010, 07:09 PM

I live in North Carolina so I see them every week I don't want to see who is on CBS. delhomme is done, stick a fork in him. No matter what Steve Smith says in public, he is the one MOST happy to see jake gone.

Psyychoward86
03-06-2010, 07:57 PM
explain what? how delhomme is a proven veteran QB? i would say he is more durable than batch at this point in their careers.

are you saying delhomme is incapable of learning the system in the off-season? did batch know the system before being signed? did maddox know the system before being signed? the list goes on and on and on....

Delhomme obviously hasnt been able to shake off his playoff woes against the Cardinals. You want that crap happening to us if Ben goes down? What good is durability if he isnt any good? It can be argued that Jake wont be durable for the rest of his career since he came off of Tommy John surgery a while back.

He's been a part of 2 NFL teams and 2 european teams, so i guess he could. I'll agree on that.

tony hipchest
03-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Delhomme has a career QB rating of 82.1 with 123 TD and 94 INT. He's never been anything more than a serviceable starting QB that you hope doesn't cost you the game.now compare that to batch and maybe you will get the point. :noidea:

nobody is suggesting that delhomme can come in and be a #1 like favre or warner, which is what you seem to be trying to twist it into.

and by no means is this thread a knock on dixon. either way, i hope he ensures batch never sees the field again.

GBMelBlount
03-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Batch is simply too frail.

SteelerFanInStl
03-06-2010, 09:36 PM
now compare that to batch and maybe you will get the point. :noidea:

nobody is suggesting that delhomme can come in and be a #1 like favre or warner, which is what you seem to be trying to twist it into.

and by no means is this thread a knock on dixon. either way, i hope he ensures batch never sees the field again.

I'm not twisting anything. What I've said from the beginning is that there's absolutely no reason to replace Batch with someone else who really isn't any better than he is.

tony hipchest
03-06-2010, 10:16 PM
actually you suggested i thought delhomme was as good as favre or warner which was completely miles off the mark.

What I've said from the beginning is that there's absolutely no reason to replace Batch with someone else who really isn't any better than he is.

and thats fine. this thread is all about gathering opinions, not starting arguments.

it is my opinion that delhomme would be a significant upgrade, and i have a strong feeling that if batch had announced his retirement (instead of remaining as the mascot for another year) many more people would be receptive to the idea (especially for the same price).

however, i am mostly rooting for dixon to make this a moot point, and most of all for ben to remain healthy.

dixon certainly has one thing going for him that the likes of t. jackson, campbell, and alex smith werent afforded....

a chance to sit and learn the same system for several years without being tossed into the fire.

Steeldude
03-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Delhomme obviously hasnt been able to shake off his playoff woes against the Cardinals. You want that crap happening to us if Ben goes down? What good is durability if he isnt any good? It can be argued that Jake wont be durable for the rest of his career since he came off of Tommy John surgery a while back.

He's been a part of 2 NFL teams and 2 european teams, so i guess he could. I'll agree on that.

if it can be argued that he won't be durable, then it can also be argued that his poor playoff game vs. the cardinals doesn't mean it will continue as the steelers 2nd string QB. batch wasn't exactly lighting it up before coming to the steelers :smile: