PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays Fails to Impress in DB Drills at NFL Combine

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Risers & Sliders: Mays fails to impress in DB drills at NFL combine

Story Highlights
-Taylor Mays is fast, but scouts still question his ability on the field
By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com
-Taylor Mays impressed in the 40-yard dash, but left much to be desired in field drills.

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL decision makers and scouts gathered at Lucas Oil Stadium today for the final day of the 2010 NFL Scouting Combine. They were on hand to watch the 58 defensive backs who were invited to work out.

Taylor Mays' workout at the combine will be one talked about for a long time, and with good reason. After weighing in at 230 pounds, Mays completed 24 reps on the bench press, then ran a 40 that most scouts clocked at 4.32 seconds. Normally those numbers would elevate a prospect towards the top of the draft, but we contend that won't be the case with Mays.

During drills, Mays was in poor form. As fast as he was moving forwards, Mays was terribly slow moving in reverse. It was similar to his performance at the Senior Bowl in January. Mays looked uncomfortable backpedaling during drills and one scout called his defensive back fundamentals "just bad." When asked to change direction, Mays would come to a complete stop then start up again. The contrast between Mays and players such as Earl Thomas and T.J. Ward, who lost little momentum changing direction, was striking.

Poor performances in Mobile and Indianapolis do not mean Mays won't be productive in the NFL. It does mean he will be limited to certain systems that don't require him to play man coverage or make plays sideline-to-sideline. In other words Mays is likely to go later in the draft than someone with his measurables usually would.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/02/combine.dbs/index.html#ixzz0hKusnSnf

supa_fly_steeler
03-05-2010, 03:37 PM
This has been posted like five times already??????

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
If so, then the mods can shut it down. I have not seen anything where Mays drills were commented on......they were terrible to watch. All I have seen on this board posted is how Mays ran a 4.24.

I thought that you would like the part where it contrasts Mays poor change of direction to a certain FS from Texas and TJ Ward. :chuckle:

supa_fly_steeler
03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
If so, then the mods can shut it down. I have not seen anything where Mays drills were commented on......they were terrible to watch. All I have seen on this board posted is how Mays ran a 4.24.

I thought that you would like the part where it contrasts Mays poor change of direction to a certain FS from Texas and TJ Ward. :chuckle:

:chuckle:

Lol lets comment and flame Mays anyway because it's fun.

I didn't think he looked to bad runnign those routes. Someone in the top 17 will take a gamble with his freakish athletic ability.
:toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2010, 04:30 PM
:chuckle:

Lol lets comment and flame Mays anyway because it's fun.

I didn't think he looked to bad runnign those routes. Someone in the top 17 will take a gamble with his freakish athletic ability.
:toofunny:

I dont want to flame for the sake of flaming. I just think its pretty obvious the shortcomings of Mays and dont want him here to play FS. If Troy has to cover the TE, there is no way that Mays can cover sideline to sideline by himself.

Texasteel
03-05-2010, 05:09 PM
I dont want to flame for the sake of flaming. I just think its pretty obvious the shortcomings of Mays and dont want him here to play FS. If Troy has to cover the TE, there is no way that Mays can cover sideline to sideline by himself.

Flame or no flame, I agree with you. The few times I saw Mays he looked lost. It does no good to run a 4.2 - 40 if your running it in the wrong direction.

supa_fly_steeler
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Im not gonna flame Mays totally but is their a chance he took Steroids comeon look at that man.

xbroughneck
03-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks EG.

Finding negative talk on the internet regarding Mays OVERALL combine performance has been almost impossible.

Everyone talks about his 40 time...talk about Carroll taking him at 14 or the 49ers taking him at 17.

His performance makes me wonder why Pete Carroll had him playing safety instead of linebacker at USC?

Nadroj 20
03-06-2010, 11:21 AM
No surprise really, his coverage skills arent good at all.

wdsteel
03-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I would love Mays to be picked at 17....woot

xbroughneck
03-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I would love Mays to be picked at 17....woot

See...even though everything screams no, I agree.

But then, after I got over the jubilation of him being picked by the Steelers I'd probably be worried about the pick until midway in the season.

I don't like the comparisons to Scott Shields, but I remember Scott Shields vividly.

I'd hate for a team in need of secondary help to pick the wrong guy for their secondary.

Earl Thomas is the safer pick.

Mays would be the hit or miss pick.

SteelerFanInStl
03-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I think it's funny how so many people keep talking about Mays 4.24 40. I was watching the combine when he ran and it was obvious to everyone that something was messed up with the clocking on that. It didn't look like he ran nearly as fast as the clock.

Mays is one guy, along with Cody, that I DON'T want as a Steeler. I hope that another team takes him before the Steelers draft.

xbroughneck
03-06-2010, 01:31 PM
If Earl Thomas were 2 inches taller I'd really want him instead of Mays, but I worry about having two safeties around 5'10" in a league full of tall TEs and WRs. Bolden is on his way to the Ratbirds...

BKAnthem
03-06-2010, 03:56 PM
If they take Thomas i hope they move him to corner , I really like Mundy...i think he improved last year...

Set-Man
03-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Pass on Mays.I watched USC several times this season. He doesn't have the skills to cover in the NFL. He is a great athlete who made it work at the college level. He may be a good linebacker project but not for us.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Pete Carroll took the timings at the Combine

taztroy43
03-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I got an idea!!!! What if we draft Taylor Mays in the 1st if McClain isn't there and if Spoon isn't there as well and mold him into an OLB or even an ILB.....Of course he will be a work in progress for a couple of years(he would have to put on some more weight) and when Farrior is ready to call it quits than Mays would be ready to step up with Timmons!!! So what do you guys think of this??? and remember its just an idea so don't take it so damn literal!!!!!

SteelCurtain0815
03-10-2010, 12:39 AM
I got an idea!!!! What if we draft Taylor Mays in the 1st if McClain isn't there and if Spoon isn't there as well and mold him into an OLB or even an ILB.....Of course he will be a work in progress for a couple of years(he would have to put on some more weight) and when Farrior is ready to call it quits than Mays would be ready to step up with Timmons!!! So what do you guys think of this??? and remember its just an idea so don't take it so damn literal!!!!!

I would entertain this idea. Mays would definitely be an ILB in our 3-4 system and not an OLB. Just think of the speed we would have flying to the ball with him and Timmons. I like the idea, but highly unlikely, and another hit or miss situation if we tried that, but man that would be sweet on Madden with them two running the middle of the field. :applaudit:

taztroy43
03-10-2010, 01:22 AM
I would entertain this idea. Mays would definitely be an ILB in our 3-4 system and not an OLB. Just think of the speed we would have flying to the ball with him and Timmons. I like the idea, but highly unlikely, and another hit or miss situation if we tried that, but man that would be sweet on Madden with them two running the middle of the field. :applaudit:

LOL...it would be pretty sweet on MADDEN!!!! :drink: but you're right it would be highly unlikely but it would be an interesting project.....Timmons and Mays would be all over the field....:thumbsup: