PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you were GM?

Cmdurand21
03-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I know that this will never really happen, so I need to live out my fantasies on an internet forum. Here it goes

Needs (as I see them, in order): S, CB, ILB, DT, OL, DE, OLB, WR, RB, QB.

Well, as Steelers GM i am going to attempt to build through the draft.. I mean, we are the Steelers, that's what we do. So first comes the draft:

1st round Draft pick: This is tough to predict because you never know who is going to be there when our picks come around. Safety is going to be a huge concern for the Steelers, we must spend atleast a 1-3 round pick on a FS if we are unable to retain Clark. I like Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays in the 1st round, they are both ready to play this season. However if they aren't there I would like to see us snatch up Dan Williams from UT, Rolando McClain from AL, or Brandon Spikes from UF. These 3 players are ready to step in in the 2011 season, the ILBs could learn from Farrior and DT from Hampton.

2nd Round: No matter what we do in the 1st round, I believe this pick needs to be spent on an versatile. We need to get some protection, maybe a character guy who can keep Ben's hands off unwilling ladies too. If Terrance Coty falls here, we have to take him.

3rd Round: We are notorious for taking a project in the 3rd round. I could see us taking a OLB here or a ILB if we haven't snatched one up by this point. A RB is very possible at this point. Our depth (to me) is scary bad at RB.

On to Free Agency, the Steelers aren't ones to spend lots on FA. As the Gm of the Steelers, I am going to keep this tradition alive.

DE: I would like to see Ma'ake Kemoeatu, who was just released from the Panthers, in a Steelers uniform. He is a big 3-4 DE (Height: 6 ft 5 in Weight: 345 lb) who can stop the run. He has had some injury problems, but looked really good in preseason before tearing his knee up. He would add great depth to the line for cheap. Also he is Chris's older brother!

CB: Here is a position that I would like to spend a little money on. But, i don't want to sign someone to a long contract. We have a lot of young CBs, and i don't want a huge contract on the books for my Nickel or Dim corner in 3 years. I'd probably attempt to sign Lito Sheppard (Released from the Jets) to a prove it deal, incentive laced and only lasting 1-2 years. He should be a good fill in while our younger talent develops.

ILB: I want to fill this position in the 1st 3 rounds in the draft. We're not looking for depth, Fox is plenty good enough. So let's bring in some young talent and let him watch and grow.

OLB: We are mostly looking for depth here. Woodley is a star and Harrison is too. Harrison isn't getting any younger, but he didn't get much wear on his tires in his first 5 years in the NFL. We may use a late pick on an OLB for depth and develop him, or we could sign a Veteran. Joey Porter comes to mind, I would love to have him back, but at his age he could only be used as a situational pass rusher, but i am fine with just adding a role player at the min here.

RB: We MUST improve or RB depth, I am not comfortable with Moore as a fulltime back if Mendy goes down. But, he shouldn't reach in the draft for depth. A 3rd round is the earliest I'd select a RB, but a Veteran will be suitable if there isn't one. Thomas Jones is a possibility, he shouldn't garner a lot of interest and has been very productive the last 2 years.

WR: I think we are set here, but I would like to stimulate some competition at the 4th WR slot. Maybe this will light a fire under Limas Sweed's ass. I am not ready to declare him a bust until the end of next year. He has shown the ability to get open and to block. Now is time to learn how to catch Limas,

I am going to be updating this post after looking at combine results, reading player Bios, and maybe a few youtube films to fill in the rest of the draft and looking at ALL available UFAs.

Is anyone happy with this kind of offseason? Why? Why not? What would you do if you were a GM?

Northside Jonny
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I would love to add another Kemo! IMO they love to play and they play hard!

supa_fly_steeler
03-05-2010, 07:26 PM
If i were a GM i would somehow try to land Earl Thomas and Kyle Wilson in rounds 1, pick up center in round 2 and go with BPA after those rounds.

Gnutella
03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
If I were GM, I'd leave the light-duty trucks, vans and SUVs to Chevrolet, and make GMC exclusively a heavy-duty and commercial truck brand.

steelerdave1969
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
gnutella... thats a good one bud. I think if I were GM I would go Best Available in the 1st round. I would LOVE to see LB McClain make it to us at 18, but I Dont See that Ever Happening. I would love to see the Steelers get some Secondary help but I dont want them Reaching where they shouldnt be and I think they have proven in the past that they wont do that, so I feel pretty good about what our front office will do come april.

steelreserve
03-06-2010, 02:38 AM
1. We will not draft a safety in the first round to be the starter
2. WE WILL NOT DRAFT A SAFETY IN THE FIRST ROUND TO BE A STARTER.

I really think we'll take the best player available out of the LB, OL, DL, DB, RB positions, in that order. I wouldnot be surprised to see 1-LB, 2-Cody, 3-OL, 4-RB, 5-WR, 6-??, 7-??

Yes, despite the OMG panic going around, we could omit DB and DL entirely unless we find an exceptionally lucky value. We addressed both of those positions last year and probably stand a good chance that at least one guy at each will turn into a decent starter. I do think we take a NT somewhere as a project, and Cody is looking like just that. Problem is, while I see him dropping to the 2nd round, I don't necessarily see him dropping THAT far that he gets to us. Would we trade up for him (like, our 2nd and 4th)? That seems kind of unlikely too. More like we try our luck with 3rd-4th round guy.

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 02:40 AM
1. We will not draft a safety in the first round to be the starter
2. WE WILL NOT DRAFT A SAFETY IN THE FIRST ROUND TO BE A STARTER.

I really think we'll take the best player available out of the LB, OL, DL, DB, RB positions, in that order. I wouldnot be surprised to see 1-LB, 2-Cody, 3-OL, 4-RB, 5-WR, 6-??, 7-??

Yes, despite the OMG panic going around, we could omit DB and DL entirely unless we find an exceptionally lucky value. We addressed both of those positions last year and probably stand a good chance that at least one guy at each will turn into a decent starter. I do think we take a NT somewhere as a project, and Cody is looking like just that. Problem is, while I see him dropping to the 2nd round, I don't necessarily see him dropping THAT far that he gets to us. Would we trade up for him (like, our 2nd and 4th)? That seems kind of unlikely too. More like we try our luck with 3rd-4th round guy.

Um dude you dont know what will happen on draft day.

I wondered what you said during 2007 and 2008 and 2009

steelreserve
03-06-2010, 03:05 AM
Um dude you dont know what will happen on draft day.

I wondered what you said during 2007 and 2008 and 2009

2007: "I hope we get a good RB because Parker sucks, but I wouldn't be surprised if we spent some high picks on LB."

2008: "I hope we get a good RB because Parker sucks, but I would'nt be surprised if we picked some LBs or DLs."

2009: "No, we do not need to draft three offensive linemen in the first three rounds; we'll probably get one guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a DL or an LB. I'm glad we got a RB last year, because Parker sucked."

Yeah, I've got no clue at all and OMG, I'm just throwing whtever random crap I can think of out there. Ummm, I proly better stfu, right?

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 03:15 AM
2007: "I hope we get a good RB because Parker sucks, but I wouldn't be surprised if we spent some high picks on LB."

2008: "I hope we get a good RB because Parker sucks, but I would'nt be surprised if we picked some LBs or DLs."

2009: "No, we do not need to draft three offensive linemen in the first three rounds; we'll probably get one guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a DL or an LB. I'm glad we got a RB last year, because Parker sucked."

Yeah, I've got no clue at all and OMG, I'm just throwing whtever random crap I can think of out there. Ummm, I proly better stfu, right?

Lol, you are saying WE WILL NOT implying as if it's a good as done deal. You could and may be right but i hate it when people say we will and we wont...

Steel_Bus_24
03-06-2010, 03:41 AM
yeah I think we have to find a way to get Earl Thomas or McClain if he falls far enough

I almost hope Clark signs with the phins so that they wont be tempted to draft thomas......of course if they sign clark and draft Thomas Id flip

steelreserve
03-06-2010, 03:54 AM
Lol, you are saying WE WILL NOT implying as if it's a good as done deal. You could and may be right but i hate it when people say we will and we wont...

Yeah, and other people are saying WE NEED TO, WE NEED TO, WE NEED TO about drafting a safety in the first round, as if that's a done deal. I hate that just as much as you hate it the other way around.

Might we take a safety? Maybe. But I don't see it as any more likely than any of about five other positions, and it's not the panic-button issue that people are wanting to pull the fire alarm over. So we probably lost Clark. OK, that sucks, but we'll get over it, and as I've said before, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT our plan is to draft a rookie #1 and start him in the secondary. But nonetheless, people are insisting we'll somehow go after top-five guys in the draft, as if that was our plan all along. The Clark situation didn't blindside us -- we had months to think about it, and we've obviously got something else in mind.

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 04:45 AM
Yeah, and other people are saying WE NEED TO, WE NEED TO, WE NEED TO about drafting a safety in the first round, as if that's a done deal. I hate that just as much as you hate it the other way around.

Might we take a safety? Maybe. But I don't see it as any more likely than any of about five other positions, and it's not the panic-button issue that people are wanting to pull the fire alarm over. So we probably lost Clark. OK, that sucks, but we'll get over it, and as I've said before, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT our plan is to draft a rookie #1 and start him in the secondary. But nonetheless, people are insisting we'll somehow go after top-five guys in the draft, as if that was our plan all along. The Clark situation didn't blindside us -- we had months to think about it, and we've obviously got something else in mind.

True that i was being a hippcrite as well in some posts sorry for that lol.

Set-Man
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I think this year it will be no different than the last few years. We will take the BPA at certain positions: Cornerback, Middle linebacker, defensive line, or offensive line. If a there is a total stud at #18 he will be picked otherwise they will get the BPA (hopefully cornerback). I am sick and tired of watching the dbs play 10 yards off the receiver and seeing the secondary get scorched time and time again. Not rocket science but that's my opinion. We really need to getting younger especially in the trenches.

Making an attempt at Leigh Bodden would be great but I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

Cmdurand21
03-06-2010, 01:56 PM

We can Tyrone Carter and Troy as our S right now. If Troy get's hurt then we are stuck with the dynamic DB team of: Ike Taylor, William Gay, Tyrone Carter and Mundy. If that is the case, then we'd be lucky to reach 8-8. FS is a position that a rookie can come in and start immediately in the NFL, if Taylor Mays or Earl Thomas is there, we'd be fools not to take them. In no other position are we so weak at depth and starter.

If i were GM, i'd cut Ty Carter's terrible ass too. He is to old and slow.

Prok
03-06-2010, 02:15 PM
We can Tyrone Carter and Troy as our S right now. If Troy get's hurt then we are stuck with the dynamic DB team of: Ike Taylor, William Gay, Tyrone Carter and Mundy. If that is the case, then we'd be lucky to reach 8-8. FS is a position that a rookie can come in and start immediately in the NFL, if Taylor Mays or Earl Thomas is there, we'd be fools not to take them. In no other position are we so weak at depth and starter.

If i were GM, i'd cut Ty Carter's terrible ass too. He is to old and slow.

This may seem like a knee-jerk raction....

But if I were GM you could damn well bet the farm that William Gay AND Ike Taylor would be in my dog house and on their way out of Pittsburgh real soon.

And i'd be shopping the fa market like a mofo for at least one of their replacements with an eye towards drafting the other guys successor.

I've long been tired of Ike's coverage skills and ball awareness (or lack there of)...

I'd probably be aiming a foot towards the CS's collective asses for playing too much zone too. I'd tell them it's better to ATTACK on D than REACT.

:drink:

Chidi29
03-06-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd have to disagree with a lot of your plans and ideas.

I get what you're saying about Lito and know you're not throwing much money at him, but there's a point where you have to say that a guy isn't worth signing for anything. He was awful last year and I'd rather let a young guy that we've hand-picked like Burnett and/or Lewis get a chance to be the nickel back.

Porter isn't going to come back to be a backup. He's too prideful, and probably still too good, to be a pure backup.

Jones is likelt to get the most interest of any free agent back out on the market. He can get a better gig in KC or san Diego.

Kemoeatu isn't a terrible idea and you're right he was once excellent against the run, but it'd be more likely he'd play NT for us and it sounds like his rehab from his Achilles tendon injury isn't going well.

Prok
03-06-2010, 04:53 PM

I get what you're saying about Lito and know you're not throwing much money at him, but there's a point where you have to say that a guy isn't worth signing for anything. He was awful last year and I'd rather let a young guy that we've hand-picked like Burnett and/or Lewis get a chance to be the nickel back.

Porter isn't going to come back to be a backup. He's too prideful, and probably still too good, to be a pure backup.

Jones is likelt to get the most interest of any free agent back out on the market. He can get a better gig in KC or san Diego.

Kemoeatu isn't a terrible idea and you're right he was once excellent against the run, but it'd be more likely he'd play NT for us and it sounds like his rehab from his Achilles tendon injury isn't going well.

Good stuff Chidi.

What would you do as GM of the Steelers?

Would ya be a fan of my knee-jerk, fire the guy that gets beat once too often style of GM'ing ??

:chuckle:

Cmdurand21
03-06-2010, 06:13 PM

Well I understand what you are saying, but we need some veteran presence at the position. If not for anything else, just to stimulate competition for the young DBs. Luckily, there are a bunch of veteran DB's to choose from. Here is a list:

Bodden, Leigh CB UFA 6-1 193 7th Season
Walker, Frank CB UFA 5-11 200 7th Season
Buchanon, Phillip CB Released 5-11 186 8th Season
Sheppard, Lito CB Released 5-10 194 8th Season
Wesley, Dante CB UFA 6-1 210 8th Season
Harper, Nick CB UFA 5-10 182 9th Season
James, William CB UFA 6-0 200 9th Season
Henry, Anthony CB UFA 6-1 207 9th Season
Lucas, Ken CB UFA 6-0 205 9th Season
Allen, Will CB UFA 5-10 195 9th Season

You are right about Porter, He has still been capable the last 2 seasons in a 3-4. I assume a team that is changing to a 3-4 might try and pick him up. I can't think of any really but there are some out there. I'd be fine with building this position in the draft. Though I'd be scared of losing one of our bookends to injury, I just don't think Andre Frazier is good enough to start in the NFL, but i'd give Patrick Bailey a shot.

Thomas Jones was really just an example. I am just saying that after Mendy, we are THIN at RB. We should add a quality backup. But, I don't think that Thomas Jones is going to garner as much interest as you think. 30+ RB that looked slow down the stretch last year especially in the playoffs... There are much more enticing names out there for a split carry back: LT, Westbrook, Larry Johnson just to name a few. I will look at all the options before selecting. And Hey, Verron Haynes may even be on my radar. (Ha!)

I'd still like to see what he can do for us in training camp. 3-4 DEs are just NTs but not obese. While Kemo is a huge fella, He'd be a good run stopper on the edge for running downs and the goal line.

Keep the input coming!

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Well I understand what you are saying, but we need some veteran presence at the position. If not for anything else, just to stimulate competition for the young DBs. Luckily, there are a bunch of veteran DB's to choose from. Here is a list:

You are right about Porter, He has still been capable the last 2 seasons in a 3-4. I assume a team that is changing to a 3-4 might try and pick him up. I can't think of any really but there are some out there. I'd be fine with building this position in the draft. Though I'd be scared of losing one of our bookends to injury, I just don't think Andre Frazier is good enough to start in the NFL, but i'd give Patrick Bailey a shot.

Thomas Jones was really just an example. I am just saying that after Mendy, we are THIN at RB. We should add a quality backup. But, I don't think that Thomas Jones is going to garner as much interest as you think. 30+ RB that looked slow down the stretch last year especially in the playoffs... There are much more enticing names out there for a split carry back: LT, Westbrook, Larry Johnson just to name a few. I will look at all the options before selecting. And Hey, Verron Haynes may even be on my radar. (Ha!)

I'd still like to see what he can do for us in training camp. 3-4 DEs are just NTs but not obese. While Kemo is a huge fella, He'd be a good run stopper on the edge for running downs and the goal line.

Keep the input coming!

You would seriously consider looking at Frank Walker although last year he went around training camp with "F*uck the Steelers" on his training camp gear

Cmdurand21
03-06-2010, 06:25 PM
You would seriously consider looking at Frank Walker although last year he went around training camp with "F*uck the Steelers" on his training camp gear

I just copy and pasted the name's from another site, my bad. I'll punish myself :banging:

Chidi29
03-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Good stuff Chidi.

What would you do as GM of the Steelers?

Would ya be a fan of my knee-jerk, fire the guy that gets beat once too often style of GM'ing ??

:chuckle:

Here was my offseason plan.

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nfl&id=pit&tid=6425149&lid=31

In addition to Crumpler and Osgood, I'd like for us to get Dwan Edwards and I'm not against the idea of Sean Jones, though more as a backup strong safety than a starting free safety.

Prok
03-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I just copy and pasted the name's from another site, my bad. I'll punish myself :banging:

lol at self punishment.

Chidi: You're prolly one of the most knowledgeable and respectful Steelers fans i've ever had the pleasure of meeting on MB's. I thank you for that.

Chidi29
03-06-2010, 07:00 PM

Keep the input coming!

Most of the corners you listed are just plain bad (Harper, Henry, Buchanon, sheppard, Walker). The few that aren't, like Bodden, will end up getting a ton of money on the market because of how scarce the position is.

While looking up free agents, I did come across Rod Hood. He played pretty good while filling in for a battered Titans' secondary.

I understand, and agree, your concern about depth at OLB, but in the event there's an injury to Harrison or Woodley, Timmons would move to OLB and Fox would start at ILB. Too bad Bruce Davis didn't work out.

I get what you're saying about running back depth. I'd like to see us find a speedy guy (We don't have one) or another solid pass protector late in the draft or as a UDFA. A stafon Johnson or a Roy Upchurch. Thomas Clayton, formerly of the 49ers, doesn't have experience, but I think he's a decent option out of the backfield. And he's young.

Anyone think bringing in a Hollis Thomas or a Grady Jackson would be a good idea? To at least give us another big body in case something would happen to Hampton.

Chidi29
03-06-2010, 07:07 PM
lol at self punishment.

Chidi: You're prolly one of the most knowledgeable and respectful Steelers fans i've ever had the pleasure of meeting on MB's. I thank you for that.

Thanks for the kind words, Prok.

Chidi29
03-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Osgood just signed a deal with the Jags.

:crying02:

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Lol no worries.

Here was my offseason plan.

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/...6425149&lid=31

In addition to Crumpler and Osgood, I'd like for us to get Dwan Edwards and I'm not against the idea of Sean Jones, though more as a backup strong safety than a starting free safety.

I enjoyed reading that version you put up here. It was a good read