View Full Version : Veteran wide receiver Battle to visit Steelers

mesaSteeler
03-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Veteran wide receiver Battle to visit Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_670338.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 6, 2010

Veteran wide receiver Arnaz Battle, an unrestricted free agent who played his entire NFL career with the San Francisco 49ers, will visit the Steelers this weekend.

The Steelers are apparently shopping for a new No. 4 receiver after experiencing little success there with Limas Sweed and Shaun McDonald in 2009.

Battle, who has 178 career receptions for 2,150 yards and 11 touchdowns in seven seasons, also excels on special teams, which is another area the Steelers need to upgrade. New special teams coach Al Everest coached Battle in San Francisco.

Meanwhile, unrestricted free agent defensive end Nick Eason, who started five games for the Steelers at defensive end last season, will visit the Arizona Cardinals on Tuesday.

Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt, the former offensive coordinator under Bill Cowher, featured five former Steelers on his roster in 2009 cornerback Bryant McFadden, linebacker Clark Haggans, fullback Dan Kreider, wide receiver Sean Morey and quarterback Brian St. Pierre.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

nikstar
03-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Eason leaving too?
don't understand letting all the quality depth players leave.. but i'm sure front office know's what theyre doing
I know it happens every year, a big team in the division making a move, but Baltimore getting questionably my favourite receiver in the nfl from Arizona has me shook.

Psyychoward86
03-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I think we need at least one more defensive end for depth in FA or the draft. Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are pretty much locks as starter. Ziggy Hood is going to keep growing, and maybe Sonny Harris will stick around? I wonder what we'll do with Kirschke.

SteelerFanInStl
03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Battle, who has 178 career receptions for 2,150 yards and 11 touchdowns in seven seasons, also excels on special teams, which is another area the Steelers need to upgrade. New special teams coach Al Everest coached Battle in San Francisco.

This is the only reason that I can see for bringing him in.

SteelerNation12
03-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Id rather have Kareem Osgood.

Galax Steeler
03-07-2010, 06:30 AM
If he can help our special teams and can at least catch something thrown his way then I say bring him in and lets sign him.

steeltheone
03-07-2010, 07:46 AM
I thought Shaun Mcdonald looked good, in the pre season.

mesaSteeler
03-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Steelers: Battle visits Monday; Sweed's status in air
Sunday, March 07, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Uncertain about the future of Limas Sweed and looking to add depth to the position, the Steelers will entertain their first free agent Monday when San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Arnaz Battle will visit the team's South Side facility.

Battle, 30, has spent seven seasons with the 49ers after being a sixth-round draft pick out of Notre Dame in 2003. He has 178 catches, 2,150 yards and 11 touchdowns in his NFL career. His best season was in 2006 when he had 56 catches, 686 yards and 3 touchdowns.

He had just 29 catches for 358 yards and no touchdowns in 24 games the past two seasons, including five catches for 40 yards in 15 games last season.

Battle (6 feet 1, 208 pounds), who played quarterback at Notre Dame, might also visit with the Seattle Seahawks.

The Steelers will not visit with any free agents before Monday because coach Mike Tomlin and his coaching staff are on a weekend retreat at one of the area mountain resorts.

Battle would provide depth at wide receiver because veteran Joey Galloway, signed late in the season, is an unrestricted free agent who will not be re-signed. Also, it is not known what will happen with Sweed, a second-round draft choice in 2008 who missed the final three games last season because of undisclosed personal issues.

The Steelers finished the regular season with free-agent Tyler Grisham, who spent most of the year on the practice squad, as their fourth wide receiver.
Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10066/1040927-66.stm#ixzz0hV3Nbohq

(Looks like Sweed is a total bust. To bad. - mesa)

Steelers>NFL
03-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Boy this is an exciting prospect visit! :noidea:

Prok
03-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Boy this is an exciting prospect visit! :noidea:

Most everyone in the football universe views WR as one of the strongest positions on the team. Most everyone in the football universe views secondary as one of our WORST positions.....

Yet here we are with our first FA visit being a WR.

Yayyyyyyyyyyy !!

:chuckle:

steelpride12
03-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Well that is an ok move if they make it. I mean we saw the chances gone Sweed's way. Maybe 10 throws a season and Battle was a good receiver and it's not like he would want paid a lot.

Galax Steeler
03-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Most everyone in the football universe views WR as one of the strongest positions on the team. Most everyone in the football universe views secondary as one of our WORST positions.....

Yet here we are with our first FA visit being a WR.

Yayyyyyyyyyyy !!

:chuckle:

I guess they have to start somewhere.

steelcityboyz
03-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Boy this is an exciting prospect visit! :noidea:Typical Steelers. :coffee:

Pi Kapp Steeler
03-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Just read this on Rumors on espn. Prolly already posted but got a question...

Arnaz Battle | 49ers | Interested: Steelers? Top Email With the signing of Michael Crabtree and emergence of Josh Morgan and Vernon Davis in San Francisco, Arnaz Battle is looking for a new home, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, he'll be visiting the Steelers first.

Battle caught just five passes in 2009 but has a career high of 59 and can also return kicks and punts. One area that the Steelers need to improve is special teams coverage, so perhaps they'll run him through some drills in that vein. Otherwise, he could be used as a replacement for Limas Sweed, who is still battling an unspecified issue.

What unspecified issue does limas sweed have?

Chidi29
03-07-2010, 11:41 AM
It was listed as an "undisclosed ilness" that was never specified outside of it not being something physical. the general consenus is that he was diagnosed with depression.

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Allen and Battle will help out our ST coverage a lot and both have experience in starting. So these are solid signings.

steelerdave1969
03-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I just hope these 2 signings doesnt mean that the Front Office feels comfortable with them enough not to draft in these positions. We are not getting major starters here in my opinion but hopefuly they will be good on our special teams.

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 01:40 PM
I just hope these 2 signings doesnt mean that the Front Office feels comfortable with them enough not to draft in these positions. We are not getting major starters here in my opinion but hopefuly they will be good on our special teams.
I highly doubt these guys were viewed as more than STers with back up roles.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2010, 01:44 PM

I'd be surprised to see the Steelers draft a WR with Holmes, Ward, Wallace, Battle, Sweed(for now) on the roster. I expect them to sign a FS though.

Basically, this is a "say bye to Shaun McDonald and Ryan Clark" pair of signings. I expect to see a few draft picks that will replace Ty Carter, Willie Parker, Chris Hoke, Donovan Woods, Andre Frazier, DeShea Townsend, Keiwan Ratliff, Tony Hills.

SteelMember
03-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I'd be surprised to see the Steelers draft a WR with Holmes, Ward, Wallace, Battle, Sweed(for now) on the roster. I expect them to sign a FS though.

Basically, this is a "say bye to Shaun McDonald and Ryan Clark" pair of signings. I expect to see a few draft picks that will replace Ty Carter, Willie Parker, Chris Hoke, Donovan Woods, Andre Frazier, DeShea Townsend, Keiwan Ratliff, Tony Hills.

Also, the Steelers have reached contract agreement (http://postgazette.com/pg/10067/1041133-66.stm) with former Buffalo Bills tackle Jonathan Scott (6-foot-6, 318), an unrestricted free agent who started eight games for the Bills in 2009. Scott will be reunited with the Steelers' new offensive line coach, Sean Kugler, who coached in Buffalo last season.