PDA

View Full Version : Steelers best bets

SteelerNation12
03-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Got time to kill. So figured I'd post some of the players I think are the best bets for the Steelers come April.

Joe Haden, Don't care about his 40. The guy has natural cover skills and ability to read routes. Hard worker and wants to be good.

Nate Allen, another guy with great work ethic, with leadership ability. Has great instincts and you really need that in a safety. Would be a great guy next to Troy for years to come.

Charles Brown, tons of upside with this guy. Could develop into a solid LT or RT. Will require some coaching to work with his leverage.

Micah Johnson, could be a bargin with his woes at the combine. But the guy has natural talent and shouldn't cost more than a 3rd day pick.

Mike Williams, high risk/high reward player. We have guys on this team that will wipe him into shape, He could end up being the best WR from this class with the right situation and coaching.

Joe McKnight, a less talented Reggie Bush. But has good hands coming outta the backfield and would be a very good 3rd down back and back up to Mendenhall.

Dorin Dickerson, local product. Solid speed and hands. Has played, HB,WR and Te in his career. Would be a solid H back for us.

Again this just a short list of players Steelers should look at. NOT a mock draft.

jollyrob68
03-06-2010, 12:58 AM
I agree nice list. After listening to my Steelers Pod cast I agree with the host. In the first round they only picks that make sense are McClain if he falls(same for HAden), Mike Iupati,Maurkice Pouncey or a DB. Most of the top rate tackles will be gone. Sean Weatherspoon is alot like Timmons and need to be in space & roam sideline to sideline so he doesn't get engulfed by bigger lineman and he's not a run stuffer. (I still wouldn't mind if we took him). Taking NT Dan Williams probably wont help us out this year after signing Hampton. However, My thoughts on a DL is Jared Odrick Because he can Join the rotation and help keep A.Smith & B.Keisel fresh with Ziggy.
If we get Pouncey or Iupati then the 2nd DB, 3rd rd Toby G/DB,4th Anthony DIxon/LB,5th MIcah Johnson/DB, 5a LInval Joseph,6 Center/OL 7 DB 7a TE.

I'd like to get OL, DB,DB RB, LB,LB,DL,OL, TE/WR Adjust the order for the best available.
We need a corners and safeties. I like Chris Cook,Kam Chancellor, Myron Rolle, JAviar Arinas in the later rounds & COdy Grim LAte. LB I like AJ Edds,Pat Angerer,Micah Johnson and McClain & Weatherspoon.

The Definiti0n
03-06-2010, 05:18 AM
I really like ur thoughts on McKnight I think he would be a great compliment to Mendy

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-06-2010, 07:04 AM
I really like ur thoughts on McKnight I think he would be a great compliment to Mendy

Hope you dont mind if I comment of McKnight...

ProFootballWeekly & NFLdraftscout.com both have him listed as a late 2nd-early third round pick.

He is 6'0" 198 and is expected to run the forty at about 4.45.

A one year starter, he had 1,014 yards this last year for an average of 6.2 yards with a career ypc average at an impressive 6.4

instincive versatile runner who can change gears instantly. One of the better "hands" running backs in this draft and could actually line up as a reciever if needed. Not an in between the tackles back, but rather an elusive runner with excellent lateral cutback ability Will need a Vet to help him work out some ball security problems, and will benefit from some time in an NFL strength program.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Got time to kill. So figured I'd post some of the players I think are the best bets for the Steelers come April.

Joe Haden, Don't care about his 40. The guy has natural cover skills and ability to read routes. Hard worker and wants to be good.

Nate Allen, another guy with great work ethic, with leadership ability. Has great instincts and you really need that in a safety. Would be a great guy next to Troy for years to come.

Charles Brown, tons of upside with this guy. Could develop into a solid LT or RT. Will require some coaching to work with his leverage.

Micah Johnson, could be a bargin with his woes at the combine. But the guy has natural talent and shouldn't cost more than a 3rd day pick.

Mike Williams, high risk/high reward player. We have guys on this team that will wipe him into shape, He could end up being the best WR from this class with the right situation and coaching.

Joe McKnight, a less talented Reggie Bush. But has good hands coming outta the backfield and would be a very good 3rd down back and back up to Mendenhall.

Dorin Dickerson, local product. Solid speed and hands. Has played, HB,WR and Te in his career. Would be a solid H back for us.

Again this just a short list of players Steelers should look at. NOT a mock draft.

At this point I am still hoping that Thomas falls to us. He would actually fill two of our weakest positions as a FS/CB.
If we go a different route in the first round, I would love to grab Nate Allen in the second.
Charles Brown I'm not real impressed with. He doesnt look "strong" to me and I think that he might t do better in a strict zone blocking scheme like Denvers, then he would in ours in which he would have to zone and power block.
Micah Johnson is one of my favorite players. I agree that he would be a steal in the later rounds. I
think some team will reach for Dorin Dickerson and will draft him as a WR rather than a TE or H-back. I would rather see Nate Byham or Michael Hoomanawanu drafted someher in the 6-7 round range Both are very good blocking TE's with marginal/good hands.

Steely McSmash
03-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Dickerson intrigues me as a utility guy. Not an overwhelming need though...

Could be a lot of things potentially

H-back TE - on the small side for this
Slot receiver - Good size, speed, needs to mature as a receiver
3rd down back - Good hands, blocking skills

vrabinec
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
At this point I am still hoping that Thomas falls to us. He would actually fill two of our weakest positions as a FS/CB.
If we go a different route in the first round, I would love to grab Nate Allen in the second.
Charles Brown I'm not real impressed with. He doesnt look "strong" to me and I think that he might t do better in a strict zone blocking scheme like Denvers, then he would in ours in which he would have to zone and power block.
Micah Johnson is one of my favorite players. I agree that he would be a steal in the later rounds. I
think some team will reach for Dorin Dickerson and will draft him as a WR rather than a TE or H-back. I would rather see Nate Byham or Michael Hoomanawanu drafted someher in the 6-7 round range Both are very good blocking TE's with marginal/good hands.

I've been hopping from board to board, and it looks to me like about 25 team's fans have Micah penciled in as a "sleeper". Usually, when a guy is that much of a sleeper, he goes pretty early because it means a lot of people like him. I think he goes in the late second or early third.

p.s. I agree with you about McKnight. My only reservation is that, if we take a running back in the second, which we would most likely have to do, then we would be left with using a 3rd on either a guard (we have enough of those types) or a corner (no good value at corner in the third IMO) or both if we go with an ILB like McClain in the first. I'd rather put the load on Mendy and Moore, than hope Gay bounces back or Lewis/Burnette develops AND go in with Essex as the starter with a possible Urbik upgrade. Just too many holes and not enough high picks.

Northside Jonny
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I like me some Dorin Dickerson. I remember the last famous Steeler with the initials D.D. he was pretty good.

taztroy43
03-10-2010, 12:46 AM
I like me some Dorin Dickerson. I remember the last famous Steeler with the initials D.D. he was pretty good.

Thats the guy that I'm hoping the Steelers pick up in the 3rd round...the guy has the potential to be something special IMO!!!!

pancake
03-10-2010, 03:13 AM
I think we need to get the best CB we can get, followed by OL, DL, LB & RB...

SteelerNation12
03-10-2010, 03:37 AM
I've been hopping from board to board, and it looks to me like about 25 team's fans have Micah penciled in as a "sleeper". Usually, when a guy is that much of a sleeper, he goes pretty early because it means a lot of people like him. I think he goes in the late second or early third.

p.s. I agree with you about McKnight. My only reservation is that, if we take a running back in the second, which we would most likely have to do, then we would be left with using a 3rd on either a guard (we have enough of those types) or a corner (no good value at corner in the third IMO) or both if we go with an ILB like McClain in the first. I'd rather put the load on Mendy and Moore, than hope Gay bounces back or Lewis/Burnette develops AND go in with Essex as the starter with a possible Urbik upgrade. Just too many holes and not enough high picks.
No way no how should Micah got that high. He is coming off another injury, and was terrible at the combine. He will be lucky to go in the 4th. This is a deep draft, so no point in reaching for a sleeper that high. He would be nice to have though.