PDA

View Full Version : Biggs: Six teams after Ryan Clark

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Biggs: Six teams after Ryan Clark
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Six-teams-after-Ryan-Clark.html

Ryan Clark negotiated with the Pittsburgh Steelers this week to see if he could hammer out a longterm extension but that didn’t happen and the free agent is drawing pretty solid interest early in free agency.

His agent Joel Turner declined to name the teams involved but said six clubs, including the Steelers, are involved at this point. Obviously, Arizona and Chicago would be on a very short list of teams seeking safeties with Miami and the New York Giants also in the market. Washington, where Clark used to play, could also be looking for a safety.

“Everyone is gaga over Antrel Rolle,” Turner said. “Ryan is a better player. He’s got better numbers across the board.”

Turner said they are in no rush to make a deal and are seeking the right fit and the right contract. Clark is considered a savvy veteran and one personnel veteran compared him to Mike Brown from his playing days with the Bears.

steelerdude15
03-06-2010, 02:28 AM
“Everyone is gaga over Antrel Rolle,” Turner said. “Ryan is a better player. He’s got better numbers across the board.”
Ah I don't know about that statement. Clark is an average FS at best. He is also older and has probably lost a step or two. I could see him as a Bear or a Steeler again. If he's gone for good, I say go for Earl Thomas in the first round this draft.

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Cardinal lol.

The Problem with Ryan's agent is that he doesn't want Ryan to get low piad, i guess the bigger the players contract the bigger the ego gets for the agent and the known...

Galax Steeler
03-06-2010, 03:59 AM
We can take the Giants off of the list of canidates for a FS.

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 04:29 AM
Add the Dolphins to the list. They also like to sign overpaid players

Rick5895
03-06-2010, 05:44 AM
Ryan may very well be back in Black and Gold, as he realizes the money he is seeking just isn't there for him.

solardave
03-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Cardinal lol.

The Problem with Ryan's agent is that he doesn't want Ryan to get low piad, i guess the bigger the players contract the bigger the ego gets for the agent and the known...

If honesty was required there probably wouldn't be any agents. Ryan needs to fire this guy that obviously doesn't have his best interests in mind. He's just out for the BIG % of his contract. Saying he's the best safety is like saying Ike is the best corner. We all know the truth that Ryan plays with a big heart and his hits most times make up for the fact that he is just slightly above average. Troy makes him look better and it showed when Troy was out last season. He struggled the whole time.

pete74
03-06-2010, 07:03 AM
he's gone. after the giants signed rolle to that big contract rolle will want a similar one and we cant and wont pay that much

SteelerFanInStl
03-06-2010, 08:26 AM
The huge contract that the Giants gave Rolle pretty much put the last nail in the coffin. Rolle is way overpaid and Clark's agent thinks that Clark is better than Rolle. They're gonna go for the biggest payday and that won't be the Steelers. Cya Ryan! :wave:

Set-Man
03-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Wow this is actually my first reply as I finally got my password/ username fixed. I've been reading these threads for years now and have been a steelers fan for 30+ years ever since I was a little boy watching the Steelers with my dad when we lived in pittsburgh for a few years. I got to witness the aints, oops I mean Saints win the superbowl this year as I live in New Orleans. I was happy for them as I know how it felt when the Steelers won the superbowl last year.... Enough with the babble.

Ryan Clark is a good safety with big hit potential but he will not be worth the money he will want. With Troy he is above-average but that can be said about anybody who is paired up with Troy (when healthy). I wouldn't be suprised if he signs with Steelers West (Cardinals) as they have a lot of money freed up now with Rolle and Boldin gone.:thumbsup:

pancake
03-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Wow this is actually my first reply as I finally got my password/ username fixed. I've been reading these threads for years now and have been a steelers fan for 30+ years ever since I was a little boy watching the Steelers with my dad when we lived in pittsburgh for a few years. I got to witness the aints, oops I mean Saints win the superbowl this year as I live in New Orleans. I was happy for them as I know how it felt when the Steelers won the superbowl last year.... Enough with the babble.

Ryan Clark is a good safety with big hit potential but he will not be worth the money he will want. With Troy he is above-average but that can be said about anybody who is paired up with Troy (when healthy). I wouldn't be suprised if he signs with Steelers West (Cardinals) as they have a lot of money freed up now with Rolle and Boldin gone.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the SF.... :drink:

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Welcome.

Anyone think Clark may go to the Saints. He was born in Louisanna and most people like ending their careers or having their career with their hometown/supported team.

Psyychoward86
03-06-2010, 05:22 PM
"We wont be able to get Clark the money he wants????"

wat. we havent even OFFERED him a deal yet. I thought the FO was doing a phenomenal job with our RFA's and UFA's so far, except for Clark. I really dont understand this situation. At least try to keep the man. He has said repeatedly that money isnt a big issue, and that he wants to stay.

tony hipchest
03-06-2010, 05:33 PM
"We wont be able to get Clark the money he wants????"

wat. we havent even OFFERED him a deal yet. I thought the FO was doing a phenomenal job with our RFA's and UFA's so far, except for Clark. I really dont understand this situation. At least try to keep the man. He has said repeatedly that money isnt a big issue, and that he wants to stay.

dont buy into everything... his agent has stressed while he isnt trying to break the bank, getting free market value is a big issue.

free market value for him right now is over million a year and the steelers just arent gonna pay it.

i would say they are at an impass.

Prok
03-06-2010, 05:46 PM
dont buy into everything... his agent has stressed while he isnt trying to break the bank, getting free market value is a big issue.

free market value for him right now is over million a year and the steelers just arent gonna pay it.

i would say they are at an impass.

IMO they are wanting him to test the FA waters to get a good feel for what his market value is. Due dillegence.

BTW it's also my opinion that once a club is willing to let said player test the market like that then said player is not too hard to replace in their eyes.

xbroughneck
03-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Ryan is going to ask for 5 million per year.

Based on what I saw when Troy was out, he is not worth that. He's a good role player, but he's just that. A good role player. I wish him luck.

Time to draft his replacement, and bring in a veteran corner (Bodden).

Unless Mundy has shown stuff that we all haven't seen, which may be the case.

Prok
03-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Based on what I saw when Troy was out, he is not worth that. He's a good role player, but he's just that. A good role player. I wish him luck.

Time to draft his replacement, and bring in a veteran corner (Bodden).

Unless Mundy has shown stuff that we all haven't seen, which may be the case.

Agreed. Except I don't see us signing a FA CB like Bodden. That position is an expensive one. We'll prolly rely on draft and what we got in-house imo.

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Put Limas Sweed for Corner. He could be just Like Ike. Bats the ball away and never gets interceptions could work :\ lol

SteelerFanInStl
03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Looks like Ryan won't be going to AZ. They just made a trade with the Jets for Rhodes.

Psyychoward86
03-06-2010, 08:00 PM

way to pull that out of your ass

GBMelBlount
03-06-2010, 09:40 PM
It only takes one team to make him an offer that he can't refuse.

Godfather
03-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Welcome aboard. I've lived in the area since 1993, including Uptown and Algiers. :drink:

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 09:49 PM
It only takes one team to make him an offer that he can't refuse.

The Rat Jerry Jones.

I haven't so far seen anything yet on any team having talks with Clark.

tony hipchest
03-06-2010, 09:49 PM
IMO they are wanting him to test the FA waters to get a good feel for what his market value is. Due dillegence.

BTW it's also my opinion that once a club is willing to let said player test the market like that then said player is not too hard to replace in their eyes.i dont think its that simple. I already know what his market value is, so the steelers most certainly do to. the steelers already know they arent willing, nor capable of matching it.

they know he wont be easy to replace, but neither was chris hope. i think the steelers are just looking of following their patter of winning a superbowl, screwing the pooch the next season, tweaking things and making the playoffs the following season, and finally making a legitimate sb run in the 3rd.

way to pull that out of your asswhether he pulled it out of his ass or not, it is a pretty sound number. i think the steelers wouldnt budge for anything more than 3.5 mil.

clark will probably go for atleast 4.5 to 5.25 mil.

GridironWarrior
03-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Well the Cards traded for Rhodes. Clark's options are running out.

supa_fly_steeler
03-07-2010, 06:57 PM
He will sign with the Dolphins next week says reporters.

supa_fly_steeler
03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Clark will sign by Monday.

Psyychoward86
03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Earl Thomas, please be available at the 18th overall pick

tony hipchest
03-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Just got a text that he landed in Miami and is hoping to get something soon.. UGH!!

P.S. My GF and I stopped to see my guy who was having Clark come for a signing and his wife mentioned that Clark called him and was pretty upset about not getting anything from the Steelers organization.

he got the joey porter treatment. that should make him happy. :shake01:

unfortunately he outplayed his worth in the eyes of the steelers organization.

while it will definitely hurt us next year, i am hoping it helps us in 2011 and beyond.

Chidi29
03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Clark regarding playing in Miami:

"That's the reason we waited so long to take any trips," he said. "We had interested teams that I didn't really want to go to. But this seems like a good spot. So I'm praying to goes well."

Will sign with them very soon. Best of luck Ryan.

xbroughneck
03-07-2010, 09:36 PM
while it will definitely hurt us next year, i am hoping it helps us in 2011 and beyond.

This.

We can only hope that.

1) Troy stays healthy all year.:toofunny:
2) William Gay becomes our shut down NICKEL corner.
3) Ryan Mundy plays out of his shoes
4) Keenan Lewis can stay heathy and wins the #2 corner spot.

5) Steelers get Earl Thomas at #18

If all those things happen, the defensive secondary should be pretty good come 2011.

Not sure all those things will happen though.

This was a blow to the Steelers secondary, but I think it will work out for the best. Both for Ryan AND for the Steelers.

CargoJon
03-07-2010, 10:59 PM
God our secondary just makes me nervous as hell in 2010. Hopefully we get some rook to step up huge a la Mike Wallace....

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 08:02 AM
This.

We can only hope that.

1) Troy stays healthy all year.:toofunny:
2) William Gay becomes our shut down NICKEL corner.
3) Ryan Mundy plays out of his shoes
4) Keenan Lewis can stay heathy and wins the #2 corner spot.

5) Steelers get Earl Thomas at #18

If all those things happen, the defensive secondary should be pretty good come 2011.

Not sure all those things will happen though.

This was a blow to the Steelers secondary, but I think it will work out for the best. Both for Ryan AND for the Steelers.

What about Joe Burnett? I think he has the tools to succeed

xbroughneck
03-08-2010, 09:20 AM
What about Joe Burnett? I think he has the tools to succeed

Another 5th round pick, who probably wouldn't have been picked if it wasn't for his ability to return kicks. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not putting too much hope in Mr. Burnett being more than a spot nickel back.

Keenan Lewis is the immediate hopeful, but who knows where that's going to go.

If Ryan signs elsewhere we're still woefully thin in our defensive secondary, with very few playmakers in the bunch. Ike is fast and physical...but he's not a playmaker.

Troy is a playmaker but gets hurt.

The rest of the secondary we don't know about.

steelballs
03-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I'd like to have Clark back as he's a good player and teammate, but he was somewhat "outed" last year when Troy went down.

Ryan's a hard nosed player and hits like a tank, but in several games last year he simply didn't get the job done.

I haven't "officially" heard what him and his agent are asking for, but it's obvious the Steelers aren't biting. As many have inferred previously, the Steelers are letting Clark test the market and see what happens....but in this case I think we've seen the last of #25.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Another 5th round pick, who probably wouldn't have been picked if it wasn't for his ability to return kicks. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not putting too much hope in Mr. Burnett being more than a spot nickel back.

If Ryan signs elsewhere we're still woefully thin in our defensive secondary, with very few playmakers in the bunch. Ike is fast and physical...but he's not a playmaker.

He Looked better but we need playmakers.

We are not going to win another Super Bowl with this secondary.

xbroughneck
03-08-2010, 12:13 PM
He Looked better but we need playmakers.

We are not going to win another Super Bowl with this secondary.

It's going to be even tougher if we lose Ben for a few games due to inappropriate behavior. :banging::banging:

Fricken Ben.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 12:16 PM
It's going to be even tougher if we lose Ben for a few games due to inappropriate behavior. :banging::banging:

Fricken Ben.

Blame the gold digging hores lol, the guy has needs lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Joe Burnett is a guy that didnt run a fast 40, but has good change of direction and ball skills. He will be a Steeler for several years as the nickel, or possibly starting corner.

Keenan Lewis I have a lot of hope for, but I think he came into camp heavier at 208, than the 195lbs he was in college and it hurt his quickness. I think we have some good young corners on the roster and will now add a young Safety in the draft. Ryan Clark has moved on.

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Just got a text that he landed in Miami and is hoping to get something soon.. UGH!!

I hope that he enjoys the weather in Miami because he'll never see another SB.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 12:31 PM
I hope that he enjoys the weather in Miami because he'll never see another SB.

lol

with the way we played and our quarterback going around earning a reputation as a rapist we wont as well lol.

he wanted to be back not his fault the front office didnt even offer him anything.

SteelMember
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Welcome.

Anyone think Clark may go to the Saints. He was born in Louisanna and most people like ending their careers or having their career with their hometown/supported team.

Could happen, but I don't think he leaves Miami without a contract.

You could pretty much count out any AFC west team... especially Denver.

Is anyone thinking that Clark may have been part of the freelancing problem other team members eluded to. Maybe the FO saw the same thing. He certianly wasn't helping the corners any last year. Perhaps his eyes were in the backfield too much. That's not what a FS is supposed to do. He was definately pressing with Troy out of the lineup, but who wouldn't be?

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2010, 05:42 PM
he wanted to be back not his fault the front office didnt even offer him anything.

He told the press that he wanted to be back but his agent's been trying to sell him as one of the best safeties in the NFL and looking for an equivalent salary. Unfortunately we don't know what was actually going on during the meetings between his agent and the Steelers. Maybe his demands were just too high. I tend to side with the Steelers FO because of their track record. If Clark really wanted to be back with the Steelers, he could've gotten it done.

LOL! Clark just re-signed with the Steelers!

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Haha! Suck it 5 other teams that wanted Ryan Clark!

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 08:26 PM
LOl. Whow how long would it of been until he went to those dolphins scumbags we must of made a last minute drill.

tony hipchest
03-08-2010, 08:50 PM
He told the press that he wanted to be back but his agent's been trying to sell him as one of the best safeties in the NFL and looking for an equivalent salary. Unfortunately we don't know what was actually going on during the meetings between his agent and the Steelers. Maybe his demands were just too high. I tend to side with the Steelers FO because of their track record. If Clark really wanted to be back with the Steelers, he could've gotten it done.

LOL! Clark just re-signed with the Steelers!

heres some insight of how the whole deal went down (pretty much clark just wanted to go home and told his agent to get a deal done with the steelers)-

http://twitter.com/Jeff_Darlington

Jeff Darlington covers the Miami Dolphins and the NFL for the Miami Herald. Visit JeffDarlingtonSports.com for more!

Confirmation of @RavesInsider: Clark re-signs w/ Steelers. I'll keep you posted as soon as dust settles. On the inside, it's a strange one.

I've spoken to both sides involved. Clark's agent, Joel Turner, insists his client just wanted to go home to his family. Details to follow.

Agent Joel Turner: "People change their minds. Plenty of people have walked away from the alter. By no means did he use the Dolphins. "

Turner said he took 1 call from the Steelers at 8 a.m. , "just like every other day." They didn't speak again until Ryan told him to do it.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Lol Ryan should fire his agent who is a scumbag.