PDA

View Full Version : Browns Columnist pro-Steelers article #1

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 08:59 AM
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/13791265.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Shhh! Gotta root for Steelers
Cowher's connection with Browns, Rooneys warrants our cheers
By Terry Pluto

I want the Pittsburgh Steelers to win the Super Bowl.
There, I said it.
Before you start putting FOR SALE signs in front of my house, stick with me for a moment.
I want the Steelers to win not because I have any warm fuzzy feelings about Pittsburgh, or that football team that crushed the Browns 41-0.
But I do like their coach, Bill Cowher.
He is really a Brown at heart. He played here. He was an assistant coach here. He wanted to be the head coach here.
The Browns didn't hire him, the Steelers did.
I don't see that as a negative on Cowher, just yet another mistake by the Browns.
I want the Steelers to win, because Cowher has been criticized for failing to win some big games. He's 2-4 in AFC title games and lost in his only Super Bowl appearance.
At least Cowher has been in some big games to lose. He also had something to do with his teams getting to the big games.
OK, I want Bill Cowher to win a Super Bowl so he doesn't have to hear about losing big games. Because he is a Hall of Fame-caliber coach. Because I sense that he's a decent human being.
I want the Steelers to win, because the Dan Rooney family was the friend of Browns fans during their darkest hour. When Art Modell wanted to move the franchise to Baltimore, only two ownerships voted against him -- Pittsburgh and the Buffalo Bills.
While Dan Rooney was close to Modell and wanted to help a friend, he stood up for what was right. He knew that Modell was about to do the Cleveland fans wrong. That should count for a lot with Browns fans.
So I want the Steelers to win for Rooney, who has had only two coaches in 37 years. He understands that stability isn't everything -- but it's a key to building and maintaining a winner.
I want Browns owner Randy Lerner to spend some time with Rooney. Notice how the Steelers don't have messes like the Phil Savage/John Collins fiasco. Football people do football, business people do business. The owner makes sure that everyone stays in their own sandbox and plays nice.
There have been 93 coaching changes since Cowher was hired in 1992. The Browns have had Bill Belichick, Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Terry Robiskie and now Romeo Crennel -- and the team was gone for three years!
The idea really bugs Browns fans, but this franchise can learn a few things from how the Steelers operate.
They support their coaches. They draft reasonably well. They think an offensive line is important. They have developed a culture and a personality. When you play the Steelers, you know that they will run the ball hard on offense, hit you even harder on defense.
I want the Steelers to win because the alternative is the Seattle Seahawks.
It's not like the Steelers are playing the Browns.
Seattle means nothing to me. No love. No hate. Just some team on the West Coast, where everyone drinks coffee all the time because it never stops raining. Seattle happens to be one of my favorite cities, but you get a sense that many of the mellow locals just think they are a little cooler than everyone else.
Especially us meat-eaters in the Midwest.
I want the Steelers to win because -- believe it or not -- it will help the Browns.
Think two words: Salary cap.
Think what happens when a team wins a Super Bowl: Players want big money.
Think what happens to most teams outside of the New England Patriots who win a Super Bowl: They have a salary-cap collapse as the payroll grows heavy and key players leave via free agency.
The NFL does not reward success. The NFL Draft and salary cap make it harder to win year after year.
And anything that makes it a little tougher for the Steelers next year should help the Browns.
So I want the Steelers to win -- but only this Super Bowl Sunday.

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2006, 09:05 AM
He is really a Brown at heart.

That is the only disagreement I have in this article.

Born in Pittsburgh + raised in Pittsburgh = Steeler at heart.

SteelerzGirl
02-04-2006, 09:09 AM
And anything that makes it a little tougher for the Steelers next year should help the Browns.
So I want the Steelers to win -- but only this Super Bowl Sunday.

Great article, but there isn't anything that is going to help the Browns next year...(lol).

SteelCityMan786
02-04-2006, 09:46 AM
In My Mind

Born In PA + Raised In PA = Steelers Fan At Heart

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Well, the dude is pandering to his base, which is mostly Browns fans. He is a Pulitzer winning sports writer, though...