PDA

View Full Version : Assuming the very worst possible outcome w/ the BB case

theplatypus
03-07-2010, 10:35 AM
How do you feel about our chances with Dennis Dixon at the helm? Oregon was an entirely different team when he was out due to injury and he showed some talent in his start against Baltimore this year. So what do you think the sky is falling or we'll be fine?

KYsteelfan
03-07-2010, 10:39 AM
How do you feel about our chances with Dennis Dixon at the helm? Oregon was an entirely different team when he was out due to injury and he showed some talent in his start against Baltimore this year. So what do you think the sky is falling or we'll be fine?

if the worst comes to pass, grab an umbrella, the sky will be falling. they would be a decent team at best, with out him. maybe 8-8 but so much of our offense, with our lacking runnign game, runs through Big Ben. so i just dont see any offensive production with out him. lets just hope and pray for the best. i still think that that theres something fishy with this girl

M.C. Smith
03-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow, how many different Roethlisberger threads are there going to be? There is a 0% chance of Dennis Dixon being this team's starting quarterback come Week One of the regular season. Without question, Ben will be under center when the season begins.

theplatypus
03-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Wow, how many different Roethlisberger threads are there going to be? There is a 0% chance of Dennis Dixon being this team's starting quarterback come Week One of the regular season. Without question, Ben will be under center when the season begins.

THis isn't a Roelisberger thread this is a Dennis Dixon thread. If(IF) he's charged, unless the charges are dropped or miraculously make it through the court system in 6 months he won't be under center when the season begins and that leaves us with Dixon or Batch. So the question remains. Is the sky falling or will we be fine?

Nadroj 20
03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
THis isn't a Roelisberger thread this is a Dennis Dixon thread. If(IF) he's charged, unless the charges are dropped or miraculously make it through the court system in 6 months he won't be under center when the season begins and that leaves us with Dixon or Batch. So the question remains. Is the sky falling or will we be fine?

Why wont he? the last case didnt effect him and hes not been cleared of that yet, so whys this different?

theplatypus
03-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Why wont he? the last case didnt effect him and hes not been cleared of that yet, so whys this different?

Apples and oranges
One is a civil case and one is a criminal case. You can bring a civil case against just about anyone for just about anything, a criminal case requires the police department and the States Attorney.

SteelCityMom
03-07-2010, 11:09 AM
The sky is always falling in Steeler land. It won't matter if BB is our QB or not, people will find something to complain about anyway. This just takes some of the heat off of Arians lol.

Kaeg
03-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I think Dixon will be good, but I'm sure we will have to go through growing pains early on. I just hope it doesn't take a season to work it out.

supa_fly_steeler
03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.tapirback.com/tapirgal/gifts/friends/mixed/platypus-stuffed-plush-f787.jpg

The Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) is a semi-aquatic mammal endemic to eastern Australia, including Tasmania.

To be serious Dennis Dixon would be great. He's far better than Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco

madtowndrunkard
03-07-2010, 11:18 AM
If Ben is charged expect the NFL to hand down a suspension.

My guess is Ben will be charged for a crime. It might not be sexual assault, but I highly doubt the DA in that town is going to let this go with out criminal charges. The women went immediately to the Police and was sent to the hospital. Sure its' entirely possible she took advantage of the moment and had sex w/ Ben with the intention of getting rich off it. What kind of person would do that I don't know...but if she is that kind of person that will come out. There would be others who could testify that this women is a psycho. If she's a normal person then you really have to think there is something to the allegations. If there is you also have to think maybe Ben did do something w/ that other woman accusing him of the same thing.

Frankly it does not sound good for Ben at all. I am not going to assume she's nuts. Ben had no business being in a college club trying to screw a 20 year old in the bathroom. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a Tiger Woods type thing.

If there is no evidence of rape, they can still charge him w/ other things.

I will be shocked if Ben is not suspended next season.

Edman
03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
If the worst happens, Ben'll be promptly released and we'll move on with our lives.

We'll survive. We won't be as good as we used to be, but we can move on without him. The Steelers are my favorite team, but they're not my life, and neither is Ben.

The guy has constantly shown a complete lack of mental restraint and responsibility in the offseason. After getting into trouble once the previous offseason, one would think he would keep a low profile and watch his back until the incident boils over. But nope. This is the third time this clown has shamed the organization with his antics. Talent cannot be sacraficed for honor. If he hasn't gotten it then, he'll never get it.

The hell with him. Thank you for #5 and #6, but the hell with Ben Roethlisberger.

steelcityboyz
03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
If Dennis Dixon starts, the Steelers are in big trouble.

stillers4me
03-07-2010, 11:24 AM
If Dennis Dixon starts, the Steelers are in big trouble.

Dixon won't be the problem. BA will be.

:stirthepot:

X-Terminator
03-07-2010, 11:28 AM
If the worst happens, Ben'll be promptly released and we'll move on with our lives.

We'll survive. We won't be as good as we used to be, but we can move on without him. The Steelers are my favorite team, but they're not my life, and neither is Ben.

The guy has constantly shown a complete lack of mental restraint and responsibility in the offseason. After getting into trouble once the previous offseason, one would think he would keep a low profile and watch his back until the incident boils over. But nope. This is the third time this clown has shamed the organization with his antics. Talent cannot be sacraficed for honor. If he hasn't gotten it then, he'll never get it.

The hell with him. Thank you for #5 and #6, but the hell with Ben Roethlisberger.

Pretty strong sentiment toward a guy who hasn't been charged with a damn thing yet, much less convicted.

And if it turns out he did nothing wrong in either incident, will it still be "the hell with Ben Roethlisberger?"

Gotta love the court of public opinion, where you are tried, convicted and executed before you get to the actual court of law. How about we wait until all of the facts are known before you get on your high horse?

mikegrimey
03-07-2010, 11:36 AM
If the worst happens a lot of perpetual malcontents will soon realize just how valuable Ben was/is to our team. I think a lot of Steelers fans take him for granted and pummel him for any mistake he makes and talk about him like he's Trent Dilfer, a lot of these people must forget what its like not to have a true franchise QB, and to be a lock to lose big playoff games because of it.

steelcityboyz
03-07-2010, 11:46 AM
If the worst happens a lot of perpetual malcontents will soon realize just how valuable Ben was/is to our team. I think a lot of Steelers fans take him for granted and pummel him for any mistake he makes and talk about him like he's Trent Dilfer, a lot of these people must forget what its like not to have a true franchise QB, and to be a lock to lose big playoff games because of it.

Good post. Mark Malone, Cliff Stout, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart... Any of these names ring a bell? :shootme:

MACH1
03-07-2010, 11:52 AM
How do you feel about our chances with Dennis Dixon at the helm?

Slim and none.

stillers4me
03-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I just hope that Ben's lawyers can make this go away and that he finally learns his lesson and grows the eff up.

Otherwise, kiddies, we're screwed. Watching the Bengals win the division was fun, eh?

MACH1
03-07-2010, 11:59 AM
I just hope that Ben's lawyers can make this go away and that he finally learns his lesson and grows the eff up.

Otherwise, kiddies, we're screwed. Watching the Bengals win the division was fun, eh?

Finishing in last place will be even funner. :banging:

Guess we'll finally get that high draft pick that everyone wants though.

theplatypus
03-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Finishing in last place will be even funner. :banging:

Guess we'll finally get that high draft pick that everyone wants though.

I think we'll be fine. We've got far too many weapons and Dixon is a gifted athlete which should prevent us from finishing last. That's not too say that the offense won't be different, but we'll be fine none the less.

MACH1
03-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I think we'll be fine. We've got far too many weapons and Dixon is a gifted athlete which should prevent us from finishing last. That's not too say that the offense won't be different, but we'll be fine none the less.

I hear that and I have flashbacks to kordell. :chuckle:

Prok
03-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I shudder to think of this scenario....

This ain't the Cowher era where a QB is just expected to not make the big mistakes and dump the ball off a ton. This team, the way it is built now, would struggle mightily without Ben.

And ya think we're hard on Arians now ?? Just imagine if he has to call ALL the plays and doesn't have John Elway jr bailing most deeper pass routes out by buying time and helping the WR's get seperation and open.

Um yeah... the sky would not only fall for us... It'd crush us as well.......

tony hipchest
03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
there are plenty of options but we must act now.

my favorite is we have dixon, and if he goes down batch is a fine mentor who knows the system and will be training the practice squad qb we get in the 6th or 7th round. not sure how that helps us on the field though.

we can sign delhomme or david carr since everyone is convinced delhomme is done. nobody has shown theyre big and can take a sack like big ben like david carr has.

trade pick #18 to the vikings for brett favre. sure its a 1 year answer but it gives dixon another year to develop, and batch another year to heal from tha ankle injury he is sure to endure running out of the tunnel.

trade ben to the browns for their #1 pick and brady quinn. sure quinn sucks but we can use the browns #1 to package with our #1 and take bradford, or claussen.

trade ben to the cardinals for matt leinart for their 1st and the 3rd they got from ravens in boldin deal. again, move up for bradford or claussen.

see we will be fine. we may have all of our playoff aspirations on a sucky, old, or rookie, qb but we will be fine and rid of "worthisburger".

stillers4me
03-07-2010, 12:20 PM

But not Superbowl caliber without Ben. He is really the difference maker.

I'm waiting to see what kind of statement the team makes. They way they word it will be very telling. They stood by Harrison and Santonio and you get tell by the officail statement that they thought it would turn out fine. If it's a generic statement about waiting for the legal process to play out, it's bad. Look for them to make some kind of drastic move to prepare for the future.

I do believe Dixon will be a good QB. But is the Steelers Nation patient enough for the growing pains? And not to start any BA bashing, but is he really the right OC for Dixon?

MACH1
03-07-2010, 12:21 PM

my favorite is we have dixon, and if he goes down batch is a fine mentor who knows the system and will be training the practice squad qb we get in the 6th or 7th round. not sure how that helps us on the field though.

we can sign delhomme or david carr since everyone is convinced delhomme is done. nobody has shown theyre big and can take a sack like big ben like david carr has.

trade pick #18 to the vikings for brett favre. sure its a 1 year answer but it gives dixon another year to develop, and batch another year to heal from tha ankle injury he is sure to endure running out of the tunnel.

trade ben to the browns for their #1 pick and brady quinn. sure quinn sucks but we can use the browns #1 to package with our #1 and take bradford, or claussen.

trade ben to the cardinals for matt leinart for their 1st and the 3rd they got from ravens in boldin deal. again, move up for bradford or claussen.

see we will be fine. we may have all of our playoff aspirations on a sucky, old, or rookie, qb but we will be fine and rid of "worthisburger".

We could just bring tim couch out of retirement.

OneForTheToe
03-07-2010, 12:21 PM

We really need that sarcasm smiley so I don't have to read things twice. It makes my poor little head hurt.:wink02:

Shoes
03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
WOW, it's only March and we need to start shoveling the finger nails out the door! I think Dixon would be fine, I've always liked the kid. Sure we have to pick up another QB, like Tony said "there are plenty of options but we must act now". Heck we're going to run the ball more this season anyway :chuckle:

Vincent
03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Ben would go down as the best prison QB ev-har, and be a lock 1st ballot PHoFer. He'd be a 3rd or 4th ballot HoFer because by that time standards will be so low that...

Look you people. McStabbin is still playing after knifing a few Homies more than a decade ago. Little, Stallworth, and a host of real criminals are still playing. You think a little grabass is going to sideline our $100M franchise QB? Money talks. Bull@#$% walks.

All better.

stillers4me
03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Ben would go down as the best prison QB ev-har, and be a lock 1st ballot PHoFer. He'd be a 3rd or 4th ballot HoFer because by that time standards will be so low that...

Look you people. McStabbin is still playing after knifing a few Homies more than a decade ago. Little, Stallworth, and a host of real criminals are still playing. You think a little grabass is going to sideline our $100M franchise QB? Money talks. Bull@#$% walks.

All better.

None of those players play for teams owned by Dan Rooney.

Even if the worst scenario is that Ben actually is a convicted rapist, he won't be returning to Pittsburgh, guaranteed.

Steelers17
03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
If Ben is charged expect the NFL to hand down a suspension.

My guess is Ben will be charged for a crime. It might not be sexual assault, but I highly doubt the DA in that town is going to let this go with out criminal charges. The women went immediately to the Police and was sent to the hospital. Sure its' entirely possible she took advantage of the moment and had sex w/ Ben with the intention of getting rich off it. What kind of person would do that I don't know...but if she is that kind of person that will come out. There would be others who could testify that this women is a psycho. If she's a normal person then you really have to think there is something to the allegations. If there is you also have to think maybe Ben did do something w/ that other woman accusing him of the same thing.

Frankly it does not sound good for Ben at all. I am not going to assume she's nuts. Ben had no business being in a college club trying to screw a 20 year old in the bathroom. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a Tiger Woods type thing.

I will be shocked if Ben is not suspended next season.

Twelve (12), not a typo, investigators were reported by NBC sports as assigned to the case. Expending resources of this magnitude more often than not indicates hard evidence is available justifying the expense. Additionally, to avoid looking like fools, the locals and probably the state's criminal division are likely attempting to secure the case with the utmost due diligence. Furthermore, it is not out of the ordinary for a high profile investigation to last multiple months avoiding the perception of a rush to judgment.

It is human nature to hope for the best but preparing for the worst appears prudent. An indictment is not a conviction but it is anything other than a positive perspective for our leader, the team, and its ultra-loyal fans. I am sincerely sorry that a civil sex charge has rapidly escalated to potentially a significant criminal action within eight (8) months.

Prok
03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Twelve (12), not a typo, investigators were reported by NBC sports as assigned to the case. Expending resources of this magnitude more often than not indicates hard evidence is available justifying the expense. Additionally, to avoid looking like fools, the locals and probably the state's criminal division are likely attempting to secure the case with the utmost due diligence. Furthermore, it is not out of the ordinary for a high profile investigation to last multiple months avoiding the perception of a rush to judgment.

It is human nature to hope for the best but preparing for the worst appears prudent. An indictment is not a conviction but it is anything other than a positive perspective for our leader, the team, and its ultra-loyal fans. I am sincerely sorry that a civil sex charge has rapidly escalated to potentially a significant criminal action within eight (8) months.

And I'll re-iterate. In no means am I calling Ben guilty.

But for better or worse, I whole-heartedly agree that this young lady allowed herself to be taken to that hospital and tested etc., KNOWING she and Ben had had some sort of intimate actions.

I think it's going to come down to whether sexual assault can be proven or not.

Either way, I fully expect Ben's name to be dragged through a ton of mud. Especially since this is the second time such thing has happened.

pete74
03-07-2010, 01:28 PM
None of those players play for teams owned by Dan Rooney.

Even if the worst scenario is that Ben actually is a convicted rapist, he won't be returning to Pittsburgh, guaranteed.

agreed and i love and respect the rooney's for that. also, ben dosnt have to be convicted before comish suspends him. if he is guilty then screw him, i dont want him on the steelers anyway. if he is not then he needs to grow up and mature quick before he gets a life sentance. as for dixon, he could be a great qb in the nfl. anyone who watched him at oregon before he got hurt knows that and if he wasnt hurt he would of went in the 1st

Fenderpbass03
03-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Why would Ben Not be the Start this year, he Has not Been Charged he probley wont be Charged if you Actually read the Statement From people they Say The Woman and most Women at the club where all over him. So these charges will be Dropped Dennis Dixon will be Backup again. Big ben will be Starting next year

theplatypus
03-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Why would Ben Not be the Start this year, he Has not Been Charged he probley wont be Charged if you Actually read the Statement From people they Say The Woman and most Women at the club where all over him. So these charges will be Dropped Dennis Dixon will be Backup again. Big ben will be Starting next year

Would you tell me where I can find a crystal ball too? I'll give you $5.

Psyychoward86
03-07-2010, 01:53 PM
please guys, im begging you all, make another Ben Roethlisberger sexual assault thread

SteelerFanInStl
03-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Why do people keep talking about rape? There hasn't been a single report on this story that says anything about rape and the local police have even said that Ben's not being accused of rape.

The nature of the assault wasn't described, but Malone did say it was being termed a sexual assault, not a rape.

theplatypus
03-07-2010, 02:09 PM
please guys, im begging you all, make another Ben Roethlisberger sexual assault thread

Funny that you make this post here since this thread is supposed to be life without BB, but reading comprehension seems to be lacking for some.

pete74
03-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Back to the origanal question. i think we would be a 8-8 team this year without ben but after a year with dixon i think we can be really good. he isnt a big ben qb but he has his own good qualitys. he can throw and run. i for one wouldnt mind getting back to the smash mouth running team we used to be. dixon did great before his injury at oregon and i think he can be good in the nfl. with that said i hope ben isnt charged and he remains our qb but like i said before, he needs to grow up and mature quick.

steelreserve
03-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Funny how half the people come into a hypothetical thread and the first thing they do is bark about how no, it'll never happen, completely missing the point. Forget rape charges -- let's say Ben takes a meteor to the head. Then what would we do?

Honestly, I think we'd be OK with Dixon; after a couple of games, Arians would lose the paranoia and actually use a game plan that's suited to him. Dixon showed he's a hell of an accurate passer, and mobile, just needs some game experience to get used to reading what the defense is doing. We wouldn't be the same in one year, but in two or three, I think we'd be right back there contending again. If things got too bad in the first season, Batch could probably just come out of retirement temporarily and we wouldn't be completely adrift.

OneForTheToe
03-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Funny how half the people come into a hypothetical thread and the first thing they do is bark about how no, it'll never happen, completely missing the point. Forget rape charges -- let's say Ben takes a meteor to the head. Then what would we do?

Does the meteor have boobs? ...... because we all know Ben won't take a meteor to his head unless it has boobs.:downspin:

SteelerFanInStl
03-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Does the meteor have boobs? ...... because we all know Ben won't take a meteor to his head unless it has boobs.:downspin:

:sofunny: It would never get past his bodyguards.

SteelerFanInStl
03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
It's hard to answer this question because Dixon is an unknown quantity. If Ben weren't able to play, then I'd certainly want someone else besides Batch at #3. Without Ben, I think we'd be very lucky to win 8 games.

SteelersTilIDie
03-07-2010, 05:08 PM
i think we'd consider drafting a qb if any serious consequences result for ben, but it would suck

OX1947
03-07-2010, 09:04 PM
sorry fellas, if Ben goes to the big house or there is even a small amount of truth to the situation, steelers will get rid of him AND have to get a new QB. I think Dixon is a great athlete but he isnt an NFL starting QB.

Godfather
03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Is the meteor bigger than a windshield?

tony hipchest
03-07-2010, 10:14 PM
ben eats meteors in a bowl full of milk for breakfast.

(although he calls them 'grapenuts")

steelerdude15
03-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Ben isn't going anywhere, he's staying as our starting quarterback. Depending on the outcome of the investigation and if it even goes to court, we'll see what his punishment should be. If he is found guilty, he should be punished, on and off the field. If he is found innocent then nothing should happen. I believe he's innocent, but that's just me.

JEFF4i
03-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Assuming the worst? We give Dixon his shot.

Steeldude
03-09-2010, 03:10 AM
How do you feel about our chances with Dennis Dixon at the helm?

about as good as i did from 1997 to the beginning of 2002.:puke:

SouthTexasSteel
03-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Since he has already been convicted by a kangaroo court of his peers we might as well castrate him, paint a scarlet H on his forehead for (Horny), put him on waivers and send his ass packing through the tunnel on his motorcycle shrouded in shame! /sarcasm off

With that being said... If by some chance Ben isn't on the team this fall, our starting QB isn't on the roster as we speak. Book it!!!

WeegiesWarriors
03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Didn't read all of the thread so I might be duplicating.

I think we would sign a veteran such as Jake Delhomme if Ben is done, and see how Dixon has progressed.

Vincent
03-09-2010, 11:24 AM
...If by some chance Ben isn't on the team this fall...

The raiders will grab him and win some Super bowls.

Hey, it is what it is. If he did it, I don't want him anywhere near our team.