PDA

View Full Version : Nobody here likes PFT eh? Weekend retreat...

Prok
03-07-2010, 12:33 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/07/steelers-coaching-staff-spends-weekend-on-retreat/

Some coaching staffs spent the weekend wining and dining free agents. Or showing up at their houses.

The Steelers coaches hung out together on a "weekend retreat" at a Pittsburgh-area mountain resort.

The team-building exercise makes sense on a few levels. The team takes a measured approach to free agency, so the coaches weren't going to be busy yet anyhow. Plus there are many new members to a Steelers staff which also includes an offensive coordinator that nearly got booted.

Mike Tomlin's crew will be back in town Monday, when they will meet with wide receiver Arnaz Battle.

Is this story true or not ??

Thoughts ??

slippy
03-07-2010, 01:37 PM
i like it.

why should they sit around the office discussing 4 million dollar players that they have no intention of even interviewing.

bond in the hottub and discuss the draft. maybe even give arians a weggie or two!

fansince'76
03-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Is Bradshaw still dead?

stillers4me
03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Why would I care if they all spent the weekend at Seven Springs? It's not like we ever spend money in FA like drunken sailors.

Prok
03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
i like it.

why should they sit around the office discussing 4 million dollar players that they have no intention of even interviewing.

bond in the hottub and discuss the draft. maybe even give arians a weggie or two!

LOL !!

I could totally see that happening !! :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
03-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Tomlin is "Unleashing Camping" in March

tony hipchest
03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
i like it.

bond in the hottub and discuss the draft. maybe even give arians a weggie or two!:toofunny:

that image is a bit to real and vivid, and as good as coach dad looks for his age, it is a bit haunting imagining him in a speedo chillin in the jacuzzi.

stillers4me
03-07-2010, 01:51 PM
:toofunny:

that image is a bit to real and vivid, and as good as coach dad looks for his age, it is a bit haunting imagining him in a speedo chillin in the jacuzzi.

:rofl:

mesaSteeler
03-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Tomlin is "Unleashing Camping" in March

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Prok
03-07-2010, 01:57 PM
This Jets MB i frequent has a thing called "post of the week" where usually the most funny, witty or clever post gets the win and they get to sport a sig for the week showing they won it.

Anywho, I think there are plenty enough clever and witty ppl here where I think that concept would go over well here.

:applaudit:

7willBheaven
03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Yes it seems true as an article in the PG is saying the same thing...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10066/1040927-66.stm (a few paragraphs down i think)

pete74
03-07-2010, 02:18 PM
it is definatly true but i think its a crock. what if we had the chance to land a really good player for a cheap price? they shouldnt be up there right now. i guess thats why we havnt signed clark

7willBheaven
03-07-2010, 02:51 PM
it is definatly true but i think its a crock. what if we had the chance to land a really good player for a cheap price? they shouldnt be up there right now. i guess thats why we havnt signed clark

Just because the coaches are elsewhere doesnt mean the FO hasnt looked into FA's. Hell they lined up a WR to come in without the coaches there. The coach doesnt do the contract talks with players the FO (and I think Omar Kahn type people) do that. Yes the coach I'm sure has a little input and sits in on any FA interviews, but they do not control it all. Get your facts straight.

pete74
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Just because the coaches are elsewhere doesnt mean the FO hasnt looked into FA's. Hell they lined up a WR to come in without the coaches there. The coach doesnt do the contract talks with players the FO (and I think Omar Kahn type people) do that. Yes the coach I'm sure has a little input and sits in on any FA interviews, but they do not control it all. Get your facts straight.

maybe you need to get your facts straight before you type there big guy. the coaches like to always meet and interview the players hence why were waiting to interview battle until monday tomlin gets back. as for the coach having a little input, unless you coach the raiders the coach always has input and i yhought everyone was aware of that.

Cmdurand21
03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
This Jets MB i frequent has a thing called "post of the week" where usually the most funny, witty or clever post gets the win and they get to sport a sig for the week showing they won it.

Anywho, I think there are plenty enough clever and witty ppl here where I think that concept would go over well here.

:applaudit:

I won the PFT comment contest and got a signed copy of Florio's book :coffee:. The comment went something like this: "Florio, can I receive my book without your signature? I don't wanted it devalued anymore than it really is". Now I am a proud owner of a signed copy of "The Quarterback of the Future" :thumbsup:

Chidi29
03-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Colbert is still probably in Pittsburgh. I'm sure the situation was discussed in-depth beforehand and they coaching staff and FO likely are keeping contact via phone.

stillers4me
03-07-2010, 03:27 PM
We all know the FO hasn't a clue about running a football team. :coffee:

7willBheaven
03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
maybe you need to get your facts straight before you type there big guy. the coaches like to always meet and interview the players hence why were waiting to interview battle until monday tomlin gets back. as for the coach having a little input, unless you coach the raiders the coach always has input and i yhought everyone was aware of that.

Ok you said the same thing I said. I said the coaches sit in on interviews, so did you. I said they have input, so did you (and by the little input...i mean as far as contract talks/etc are concerned, not player input). Your rebuttal didnt rebut at all, just said what I said. My point was the Steelers know what they are doing, and already have a target list of who they want to look into and I am sure have already been in contact with some of them to setup possible interviews (like w/ Battle). In your original post you made it sound like oh just because the coaches arent there it means they are missing out or not doing anything. Most organized teams (like the Steelers) plan ahead and have an idea what they are doing in FA (plus the Steelers rarely make a big splash early on...you should know that being a Steelers fan). As far as Clark...the Steelers have made it known they want him back...the coach doesnt need to be there for contract talks to go on. Its not like hes a new player they have to interview...the Steelers are still having on going talks with him. Thats my point to what you made sound like nothing is going on or happening w/o the coaches...but I guess I had to elaborate a little more for you to understand what i'm talking about.

pete74
03-07-2010, 03:50 PM
i was stating that the coaches are a big part of the decision making for new players not curently with the team.

solardave
03-08-2010, 05:37 AM
LOL !!

I could totally see that happening !! :chuckle:

I'd pay not to see that.