PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Tampa's Will Allen a target,

mesaSteeler
03-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Tampa's Will Allen a target, Nick Eason to talk with Cards
March 7, 6:00 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d7-Pittsburgh-Steelers-freeagency-digest-Tampas-Will-Allen-a-target-Nick-Eason-to-talk-with-Cards

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers have yet to host a free-agent as its coaching staff is away from town for the weekend, but as reported yesterday, Arnaz Battle will be the first.

His visit has been pushed back to Monday as the team is apparently searching for a replacement for Limas Sweed as the 4th receiver.

Examiner.com has learned that the Steelers may also be targeting a safety/special teams ace, and yet another player Mike Tomlin is familiar with in Will Allen.

Named as a Pro Bowl alternate in 2009, the former Ohio State player is known for his versatility and his ability to contribute at either safety position. He has 195 combined tackles and is also an ace on special teams, something the Steelers were missing last season.

Defensive End Nick Eason, who was not tendered a contract may be heading to Pittsburgh West as he is expected to visit with Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhut on Tuesday. The 29 year old played in eight games for the Steelers last year and had 16 tackles.

Ryan Clark's saga also got more interesting on Saturday, as the Cardinals, thought by many to be a strong suitor made a trade with the New York Jets for

Although the Bears are still in the race, a league source has said that Clark doesn't seem to fit what Chicago is looking for. Now it appears the Steelers along with Miami are the major players for his services.

On a side note, how about Larry Foote coming back to the Burg? After a year in his hometown, Foote was released by the Lions. Although the Cardinals are expected to woo Foote to Pittsburgh West, he has a meeting scheduled with the Redskins on Monday.

The skins defensive coordinator is former Steeler coach Jim Haslett, who is expected to install the 3-4.

Stlrs4Life
03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
LOL, and Foote wanted to play for his home town! Not too happy just to bring in Tomlins old guys either. What good will they do us?

LamarrWoodleysFade
03-07-2010, 07:47 PM
For some reason, the Cards goin' after a lot of our former players pisses me off...

MasterOfPuppets
03-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Although the Bears are still in the race, a league source has said that Clark doesn't seem to fit what Chicago is looking for. Now it appears the Steelers along with Miami are the major players for his services.
how can they call pittsburgh a "major player" , when they haven't made an offer to even try to keep him ? :noidea:

supa_fly_steeler
03-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Allen will play backup since he played backup in Buccaneers

Psyychoward86
03-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Allen will play backup since he played backup in Buccaneers

because good players have never reached their potential on better teams :coffee:

getting really sick of this attitude

truesteelerfan
03-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Allen's career stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/willallen/profile?id=ALL653088

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 10:54 AM
because good players have never reached their potential on better teams :coffee:

getting really sick of this attitude

Well it's abit obvious he isn't the answer to our problem.

I'm getting sick of you getting sick of me getting sick of interviewing players we don't really need.

Go ahead and put him as the starter. Then when the season is finished u will be crying for another safety

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2010, 11:11 AM
If Clark wants too much, I am OK with Will Allen.

As for Eason checking out the Cardinals...I thought he would stay over Kirschke, but I am still very optimistic about RaShonn Harris developing into a solid DE for us, so it doesnt matter that much.

xbroughneck
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I can't see how Allen would be worse than Clark, other than not being familiar with playing in our defense.

He's not a long term solution (I don't think) but he's gotta be better than just MUNDY.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I can't see how Allen would be worse than Clark, other than not being familiar with playing in our defense.

He's not a long term solution (I don't think) but he's gotta be better than just MUNDY.

Kind of reminds me of how the sky was falling when Chris Hope left for Tenn. If Clark goes, then Allen is fine until a rookie is drafted to replace him. :yawn: