PDA

View Full Version : Is Sweed in a 'Battle' For His Job?

mesaSteeler
03-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Is Sweed in a 'Battle' For His Job?
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/3/7/1361025/is-sweed-in-a-battle-for-his-job
Photo_32_tiny by ncoolong on Mar 7, 2010 11:22 AM EST Comment 49 comments
Photo

More photos Elaine Thompson - AP

Browse more photos

To say Steelers WR Limas Sweed's career has been timultuous through two seasons is an understatement.

There was The Drop against Baltimore. Then The Other Drop against Cincinnati. Inconsistent playing time followed both incidents, which led to the climax of Sweed being placed on the IR with three games to play due to a "non-football illness."

Or "undisclosed personal issues," per the Post-Gazette. The Steelers have stuck with the illness side of the story, but reports generally seem to agree that his status for training camp is up in the air.

The question then becomes how much faith do the Steelers have in Sweed to recover from the illness/issue, and start moving toward the potential the team hoped he'd reach by now?

Free agent WR Arnaz Battle's visit to Pittsburgh on Monday is the start of the process needed to answer that question.

Star-divide

Battle doesn't flash huge stats. He had just five catches for 40 yards last season, and hasn't really been productive since his two-year stretch in 2006-07 where he locked up 109 catches for 1,286 yards. But he has the size to play the slot (6-foot-1, 207 pounds), which is a position at which the Steelers need to establish some depth.

Sweed was expected to fill that role to this point, but has been unable to do it. The ageless Hines Ward put in one of his best statistical seasons in 2009 (95 catches, 1,167 yards, six TDs), and the Steelers are clearly a passing team. The combination of Ward, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace and Heath Miller make their passing attack one of the most formidable in the league.

However, behind Ward sits practice squad hero Tyler Grisham, whose best attribute was supposed to be his hands. That was said before he dropped one of the two passes thrown at him last season. Grisham replaced Sweed in the short-term before the signing of Joey Galloway who didn't dress for either of the games he was on the roster for, and will not be resigned.

Battle is 30, so age won't be an issue in providing a longer term solution. He's almost the same size as Ward. While Battle doesn't have a reputation as the hardest run blocker at his position, as the fourth WR, it's rare he'll see many running plays anyway.

At a lower price tag, he seems like a reasonable enough solution. Is that what it's come to for Sweed? Size and speed that makes scouts drool and defensive coordinators sleepless, and a low price tag to boot, he looks like a long touchdown or third down conversion waiting to happen. Sweed taking a flanker spot on the field opposite Ward with Holmes and Wallace outside of them sounds lethal on paper. Production out of that sub package would open the game up so much more for the base package, particularly on first downs.

But we stratch our heads wondering how a second-round pick with so much potential now has a low-cost contingency plan in place. If Battle's 29 catches and zero touchdowns in his last 24 games is a better option that Sweed for whatever reason, it'll mark one of the more disappointing Steelers storylines in recent memory.

OneForTheToe
03-07-2010, 09:17 PM
If the biggest problem the Steelers face this season is who to fill the fourth wide receiver slot, I'll be thrilled. That is especially true after this week.

Chidi29
03-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Battle would be here mainly for special teams value. I'm sure al Everest put in a good word about him.

It's not like we don't bring in a vet WR or two. Did it with McDonald last year.

tony hipchest
03-07-2010, 09:56 PM
nothing new in this article.

although i guess shawn mcdonald (who certain people had winning the #3 job last year) was denied an opportunity to shine for all of his drops too.

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Battle is nothing more than a STer. I wouldn't trust him at all playing WR. If we really want a 4th WR draft one like Barnes or Price.

Galax Steeler
03-08-2010, 05:18 AM
According to the National Football Post, Limas Sweed "doesn't have a future with the Steelers."
It's notable that the team is conducting business as if Sweed isn't even on the roster. With Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, and Mike Wallace locked in as receivers Nos. 1-3, the Steelers pursued Arnaz Battle as a potential No. 4 and special teams help. Sweed may not even make the club out of training camp.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=PIT

wootawnee
03-08-2010, 06:12 AM
I am tired of the Sweed hating going on in the negative nancy burgh.....The kid dropped 2 balls......In wins to boot......Bfd......be positive.......Unless your tackling someone,then smash em.....

steelreserve
03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
The only person Sweed is competing against for the fourth receiver job is himself. Unfortunately, it looks like he's losing.

truesteelerfan
03-08-2010, 10:36 AM
The only person Sweed is competing against for the fourth receiver job is himself. Unfortunately, it looks like he's losing.

Well said. We're all disappointed for his production so far, but until we release him, I'm still a fan. Come on Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Its now or never dude.:tt:

SuzyPeppercorn
03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
With Randle El coming back, Sweed is toast unless there were some injuries. It's exciting knowing we have Ward, Holmes, Randle El, and Wallace as 4 WRs.

That is possibly the deepest and most skilled set of WRs in the league.

Cape Cod Steel Head
03-09-2010, 03:13 PM
So long Stone Hands!

pancake
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Well said. We're all disappointed for his production so far, but until we release him, I'm still a fan. Come on Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Its now or never dude.:tt:

I agree with you, if Sweed could get it together, this WR core could be crazy good...

pete74
03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
With Randle El coming back, Sweed is toast unless there were some injuries. It's exciting knowing we have Ward, Holmes, Randle El, and Wallace as 4 WRs.

agreed. its second to no one this year. my only concern is they may not be able to afford holmes when his contract is up but the way wallace looks he can easily take his place

xbroughneck
03-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Sweed is gone...or at the very least the #5 receiver.

Mike Wallace is the #3 receiver. El is the #4 guy.

Sweed won't even have a spot over the guy from San Francisco.

vrabinec
03-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't know how they can keep him. He was awsome in camp last year. If he's awsome in camp again this year, what the hell do they do? Do they cut Battle or ARE based on what he does in CAMP? They can't, can they? Because his issues don't start until he gets in a real game. I'm tellin' ya, last summer he was making leaping one-handed catches, he was smooth, he was sure-handed, etc...I thought he looked like the best receiver we had last camp. Gets to a game and he forgets how to catch. Although, now that I think about it, he was dropping some in the pre-season games too, wasn't he? I guess we can see if he lights it up in camp again, and then keep a close eye on him in the pre-season games to see if the get's the terminal dropsies again.

Prok
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Agreed. I've got a ton of clowns fan friends and just about every one of their reactions has been..." Sonofabitch you guys are loaded at WR..."

No need to go into detail as to their "other" comments for me this week....

rich4eagle
03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
This thread is so cool, especially as a lot of bad happened the past season, the mantra was we need to go back to smash mouth football.

The Steelers have elite receivers and a clutch winner franchise QB.......................

so why is running every down so important

The thing that would make the team whole on offense is that ONE yard guy for sure. Bettis was that all his time

tony hipchest
03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
vince young will lobby with jeff fisher for sweed. we will trade him on draft day for a 4th, or include him in a swap of picks to move up.

Carolina Steelers
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
vince young will lobby with jeff fisher for sweed. we will trade him on draft day for a 4th, or include him in a swap of picks to move up.

Thats a thought I forgot they played together for the Longhorns. Sweed is gone I believe now that Randle El is back

pete74
03-09-2010, 07:31 PM
yea sweed wont play for the steelers again

ricardisimo
03-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Far be it from me to suggest that the FO could ever be mistaken in any way, shape or form, but... really? Arnaz Battle? $3.9 million? That's not a Special Teamer's money, and it's an awful lot of money just to light a fire under someone else's tush, as they supposedly did with the McDonald signing last year (and boy did that really pay off.)

How many catches did Battle have last year?

Vincent
03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
How many catches did Battle have last year?

Really.

All this spending almost looks like "Well, we have $12M in cap space we didn't think we had. Might as well stock up and make another run". Very uncharacteristic.

What a bizarre last few days. :noidea:

Heart4Steelers
03-09-2010, 09:45 PM

good point. I heard Savran say this morning that Sweed has been fighting "off field" issues. He didn't elaborate But on Mondesishouse.com tonight, I guess Sweed is fighting depression (link on the site). Sweed wants to be traded.

So with all being said, the Tennesse trade makes the most sense. I like Sweed. I wish him the best.

Chidi29
03-09-2010, 10:05 PM
PFT just show down rumors over Limas' name being thrown around in trade talks with Atlanta, but the rumors do seem to be out there.

SteelerEmpire
03-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Sweeeeeed has just brought stress, and a hope that never materialized, to fans, team-mates and coaches. He made a small fortune just sitting on the sidelines... he should'ent complain much....

Aussie_steeler
03-10-2010, 01:51 AM
good point. I heard Savran say this morning that Sweed has been fighting "off field" issues. He didn't elaborate But on Mondesishouse.com tonight, I guess Sweed is fighting depression (link on the site). Sweed wants to be traded.

So with all being said, the Tennesse trade makes the most sense. I like Sweed. I wish him the best.

One theory that I have heard thrown around is Seasonal Affected Disorder. Quite often there is a link between sunlight exposure and depression. People who move to new regions that have a lower level of sunlight exposure develop or magnify their depressive symptoms. If Sweed has been diagnosed with such a disorder it would make sense for him to return to somewhere like Texas or other sunny states . Look for the Texans or Dallas to be potential trade candidates.

IMO this mans health and well being is more important than anything. If he can get back onto the football field that is a bonus. If the Steelers can get any compensation then that is like winning the lottery.

Lets all just hope he finds his feet and gets better.

T&B fan
03-10-2010, 08:54 AM
One theory that I have heard thrown around is Seasonal Affected Disorder. Quite often there is a link between sunlight exposure and depression. People who move to new regions that have a lower level of sunlight exposure develop or magnify their depressive symptoms. If Sweed has been diagnosed with such a disorder it would make sense for him to return to somewhere like Texas or other sunny states . Look for the Texans or Dallas to be potential trade candidates.

IMO this mans health and well being is more important than anything. If he can get back onto the football field that is a bonus. If the Steelers can get any compensation then that is like winning the lottery.

call it what ever you like .hes been here a few yrs now and should be over any thing like that . IMO

It's not his feet that he needs to find ... it's ball in his hands ,that would be nice

SteelMember
03-10-2010, 09:01 AM

Interesting point Aussie.

Although, this assessment would lead me to believe that there were countless miserable people living in the ever consistent "partly cloudy" forcast of the burg.

Wait....no. they were miserable already. :wink02:

Just kidding people. I love the consistency of the weather. Some days you get "partly sunny". :chuckle:

There has been news that Limas has asked to be traded, or released.

I guess another team will see if he really had it, or not. :noidea:

After all this, I hope we get something for him. A 4th rounder is better than nothing at this point.