PDA

View Full Version : Steelers talking to Tampa Bay safety

7willBheaven
03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Steelers talking to Tampa Bay safety
Monday, March 08, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Looking for help to possibly replace Ryan Clark, the Steelers have brought in Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Will Allen and are visiting with him today at the team's South Side facility.

Allen, 27, joins San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Arnaz Battle as the first two unrestricted free agents being entertained today by the Steelers.

Allen, a former special teams captain for the Buccaneers, played in only eight games last season after being placed on injured reserve with a thumb injury. He was a fourth-round draft choice out of Ohio State in 2004 who has four interceptions in 84 career games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys see him as a starter or a backup for Troy? I dont know much about him, but he just doesnt sound like a starter to me, but i could be wrong.

Steel_Bus_24
03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Im getting tired of dealing with Tampa, San fran.....the FO better be targeting Thomas.

We need playmakers, not just fill in guys who will only be exposed when/if Troy goes down

tyler289
03-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Schefter from ESPN just tweeted that we're signing Allen.

Adam_Schefter
Filed to ESPN: Former Bucs S Will Allen will sign a three-year contract today with the Steelers -- all while S Ryan Clark is in Miami.

devilsdancefloor
03-08-2010, 11:45 AM
well i guess we now can kinda see we are not gonna draft thomas in the first, but who knows lol

Prok
03-08-2010, 11:47 AM
haha should have looked here b4 posting my thread.

:doh:

steelerdude15
03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Hopefully Allen can make a difference, he's younger, but stats wise he is nothing compared to Clark...

7willBheaven
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I still wouldnt rule out Clark coming back (though it is looking more bleak) or us drafting a safety. Remember we didnt sign Carter back either...so technically we need a backup and a starter.

7willBheaven
03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
haha should have looked here b4 posting my thread.

:doh:

Duh haha, jk. I'm sure the mods will just combine both threads. No biggie.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
well i guess we now can kinda see we are not gonna draft thomas in the first, but who knows lol

I wouldnt bet on that....here is what I was saying in the other thread.

Once Allen was on our radar, I was thinking that he would be the perfect replacement for Clark and his signing would be more evidence that we will pick up a young FS in the first couple of rounds of the draft.

Allen is a stop-gap starter at Safety (though better than anything that we fielded after Troy went down) and has added value as a FANTASTIC special teams player. He is exactly the type of player that we would sign if we were going to groom a young starter.

He can start for us immediately, but retain value as a backup and ST ace when a young prospect like Earl Thomas or Nate Allen learn the defense and is ready to take over.

If we dont draft Thomas...I think we will targe a FS in the 2nd round.

SteelMember
03-08-2010, 12:07 PM

He can start for us immediately, but retain value as a backup and ST ace when a young prospect like Earl Thomas or Nate Allen learn the defense and is ready to take over.

Allen & Allen. :scratchchin:

Sounds like a law firm. :noidea:

:chuckle:

Texasteel
03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Hopefully Allen can make a difference, he's younger, but stats wise he is nothing compared to Clark...

If I remember right, Clark was nothing compared to Clark before he got here. I remember many wondering what the heck did the Steeler sign this guy for.

Texasteel
03-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Allen & Allen. :scratchchin:

Sounds like a law firm. :noidea:

Thats what I was thinking. I still think we don't get Thomas, and Allen being able to play both SS & FS just makes to much sense.:tt02:

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I doubt Allen was brought in to start. He has the ability to make the Pro Bowl at a STer though and we needed that a lot.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Will Allen was a Pro Bowl Alternate during the 2008 season according to wikipedia???????

Nadroj 20
03-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Will Allen was a Pro Bowl Alternate during the 2008 season according to wikipedia???????

I can go on there and say Nadroj 20 was a pro bowl alternate during the 2008 season :chuckle:

Wikipedia is not a relaible source when anyone can go on there and change things around

(but it still could be true idk just saying its not a reliable source)

devilsdancefloor
03-08-2010, 01:05 PM

i would love to see morgan burnett in the 2nd. i just think this wuold lead someone to belive we are gonna draft a LB or OL in the 1st is all

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I can go on there and say Nadroj 20 was a pro bowl alternate during the 2008 season :chuckle:

Wikipedia is not a relaible source when anyone can go on there and change things around

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 01:32 PM

They do a good job at weeding out the false info now.