PDA

View Full Version : Steelers got Clark's replacement

Prok
03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Former Bucs S Will Allen will sign a three-year contract today with the Steelers -- all while S Ryan Clark is in Miami.

Via Twitter

Steel_Bus_24
03-08-2010, 11:47 AM
They still better be targeting Thomas...:this dude isn't going to cut it if Troy goes down again.... Id rather break in a rookie with stud potential if that were to happen

pete74
03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
better then nothing i guess but i dont see him as a starter

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-08-2010, 11:54 AM
I kinda saw this one coming. Once Allen was on our radar, I was thinking that he would be the perfect replacement for Clark and his signing would be more evidence that we will pick up a young FS in the first couple of rounds of the draft.

Allen is a stop-gap starter at Safety (though better than anything that we fielded after Troy went down) and has added value as a FANTASTIC special teams player. He is exactly the type of player that we would sign if we were going to groom a young starter.

He can start for us immediately, but retain value as a backup and ST ace when a young prospect like Earl Thomas or Nate Allen learn the defense and is ready to take over.

vrabinec
03-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Four interceptions in six years, the guy's a stud. This makes me forget all about the Ben situation. Oh well, guess he's better than nothing.

steelerdude15
03-08-2010, 12:01 PM
We'll see what he can do, welcome to the team Will. :thumbsup:

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the team. To be a backup. Hopefully a consistent one.

OneForTheToe
03-08-2010, 12:13 PM
They still better be targeting Thomas...:this dude isn't going to cut it if Troy goes down again.... Id rather break in a rookie with stud potential if that were to happen

I agree with that, but I would also point out is exactly what was said when we signed Clark to replace Chris Hope. A young draftee named Anthony Smith was supposed to replace Clark and we know what happened there.

Just as a side note, I'm watching the NFL Network at the moment, where they cut away from the combine to update free agent signings, which included our signing of Allen. Anyways, they're running an advertisement that next week they will dedicate the whole week to free agency and we should tune in because it will be in HD. :toofunny: Wow, thank god, because I hate to get my free agency news in standard definition. Not really an important point. I just thought it was silly.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree with that, but I would also point out is exactly what was said when we signed Clark to replace Chris Hope. A young draftee named Anthony Smith was supposed to replace Clark and we know what happened there.

Just as a side note, I'm watching the NFL Network at the moment, where they cut away from the combine to update free agent signings, which included our signing of Allen. Anyways, they're running an advertisement that next week they will dedicate the whole week to free agency and we should tune in because it will be in HD. :toofunny: Wow, thank god, because I hate to get my free agency news in standard definition. Not really an important point. I just thought it was silly.

Lol.

Anthony Smith was a thug and a mistake of a draft pick like Limas Sweed sadly. Sometimes we do get picks wrong in the draft :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Nice. Face it people........Chris Hope and Ryan Clark were no hall of famers, Will Allen fits the bill fine and a young guy can be found in the draft.

I'm pretty sure this means that I wont have to see Tyrone Carter back with the Steelers. :tt:

OneForTheToe
03-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Don't know if this was a repeat but Earl Thomas just ran a 4.44 in his second run.

Texasteel
03-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Four interceptions in six years, the guy's a stud. This makes me forget all about the Ben situation. Oh well, guess he's better than nothing.

I believe I saw several post just like this one when we signed Clark. Give him a chance.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Unless I am mistaken....Clark had 4 interception in his first 6 years.
:noidea:

Nadroj 20
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I'll take him, not overly excited or anything but we will see how he does and hopefully we will all LOVE this signing a few weeks into the season.

Welcome to the team Will Allen!

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2010, 12:31 PM
I kinda saw this one coming. Once Allen was on our radar, I was thinking that he would be the perfect replacement for Clark and his signing would be more evidence that we will pick up a young FS in the first couple of rounds of the draft.

Allen is a stop-gap starter at Safety (though better than anything that we fielded after Troy went down) and has added value as a FANTASTIC special teams player. He is exactly the type of player that we would sign if we were going to groom a young starter.

He can start for us immediately, but retain value as a backup and ST ace when a young prospect like Earl Thomas or Nate Allen learn the defense and is ready to take over.

Agreed. I think he'll be fine as a stop-gap and provide depth that's sorely needed.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I believe I saw several post just like this one when we signed Clark. Give him a chance.

I'm having trouble seeing him as a Starter no disrespect to Will but we really need guys that on a consistent basis get at least 3 interceptions each year.

Fire Haley
03-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't know much about him

so I go to the TB forum to see what they say

Good for him, he's on a contending team with a strong D, he'll look much better there than he did here

Don't want him starting, but he was always a pretty good special teams player.

A special teams blow for sure, but it doesn't hurt our defense one bit.

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=185935

Prok
03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
I think he's a decent signing who comes in and takes Clark's old job right out the gate. Agree too that we can still target a S in the draft but are no longer FORCED to target one early. BPA people, BPA. It's a good thing for us.

Mods: Since you haven't merged this thread could one of you PLEASE at least fix my typo in the title. :wave:

pete74
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
he definatly will be a big improvment on special teams and hopefully he works out good for us as a saftey because god knows we need the help

Texasteel
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm having trouble seeing him as a Starter no disrespect to Will but we really need guys that on a consistent basis get at least 3 interceptions each year.

No disrespect toward you either bud, but this is exactly the type of posts we were seeing when they signed Clark. Will God touch us twice in this situation. I don't know, but I do know the FO does seem to have a nose for pretty good talent. Let see what the guy can do in 6 month.

I can still see us taking Thomas or maybe Allen in the 2nd. This has not changed that situation at all.

xbroughneck
03-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Much less starting time than Ryan Clark and almost the same amount of interceptions. I agree he's not much, but he's not a drop in talent from Ryan Clark.

Looks like we'll be drafting a safety with one of those first two picks. I'm good with that.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 12:51 PM
No disrespect toward you either bud, but this is exactly the type of posts we were seeing when they signed Clark. Will God touch us twice in this situation. I don't know, but I do know the FO does seem to have a nose for pretty good talent. Let see what the guy can do in 6 month.

I can still see us taking Thomas or maybe Allen in the 2nd. This has not changed that situation at all.

No disrespect taken. Ryan was an interesting find. He's was consistent, one of the most on our defense but the community seemed to be split with Ryan. Some thought he was a decent enough and was a good safety for us and some though he was no good and could easily be replaced.

That we will know as well after this ridiculously long offseason.

vrabinec
03-08-2010, 12:57 PM

If he turns out to be as good as Clark was when we got him, then I'll do cartwheels. Can't say I've seen Allen play since they don't televise may Tampa games out here on the east coast. Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Great Point....and lets not forget that Will Allen is no stranger to Mike Tomlin. The Coach just "might" know more about Allen then we do.

TampaSteelerFan
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
The unfortunate truth is that Will Allen stinks. I hope to God he doesn't end up starting for us. I've seen way too many bucs game where opposing qb's totally abused abused him, plus he can't tackle all that well. He was always hyped up in TB but always disappointed.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
What had Ryan Clark achieved with Washington before coming to Pittsburgh?

I like this signing - it's the kind the Steelers make. We will NOT get some high-profile, expensive player. Will Allen will provide more than Clark has recently (injuries) and is better than any backup the Steelers had on the roster.

I'm from the Tampa area (Wesley Chapel) and I like this signing. You could get a LOT worse players than Will Allen and I believe he will step in and perform well. Stay player? No...but a solid player.

steelerdave1969
03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I am not overly enthused with this pickup. Looking at his stats they have went down the last 2 years on a pretty bad Tampa team. No INT's the last 2 years and had 3 his 2nd season and NONE Since. I guess we will see.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
What had Ryan Clark achieved with Washington before coming to Pittsburgh?

I like this signing - it's the kind the Steelers make. We will NOT get some high-profile, expensive player. Will Allen will provide more than Clark has recently (injuries) and is better than any backup the Steelers had on the roster.

I'm from the Tampa area (Wesley Chapel) and I like this signing. You could get a LOT worse players than Will Allen and I believe he will step in and perform well. Stay player? No...but a solid player.

He will be a special teams player as well as backup. Says Steelers.com

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
The unfortunate truth is that Will Allen stinks. I hope to God he doesn't end up starting for us. I've seen way too many bucs game where opposing qb's totally abused abused him, plus he can't tackle all that well. He was always hyped up in TB but always disappointed.

Oh boy....I think we have all already came to the conclusion that Allen is a stop gap player. He will probably fill in at the starting position until a young safety is ready to take over in a year or two.

He is worth the contract...because he IS better than any of the backup safeties that we currently have on the roster...and he is an EXTREMELY good special teams player (which we desperately need!!!) He was a 2009 special teams Pro Bowl alternate and captain of the special teams in 2008.

Personally I liked Clark...but this next year will be the litmus test as to whether Clark was a good FS because of playing in the backfield with the best SS in the league. Lord knows he didnt look very special when Troy was gone.

steelreserve
03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
I agree with that, but I would also point out is exactly what was said when we signed Clark to replace Chris Hope.

Exactly what I was thinking. Clark was a pleasant surprise, but the last couple years have me thinking that just about anyone of reasonable skill can play opposite Troy and look good. We didn't even miss a beat when Carter was at FS subbing for Clark.

Of course, if Troy goes down again, we are screwed and if whoever we have at FS is average, he'll look average. But I don't think there's any way around that.

truesteelerfan
03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Sounds like a good signing to me since we didnt' make an offer to Clark. I'll be interested however in seeing the amount of this contract, compared to how much Ryan signs for wherever he ends up.

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Because the Nnamdhi Asomugha's of the world are laughable at best

Look, all we need at FS when Troy is prowling the field is an effective, yet conservative free safety who will most importantly surrender NOTHING deep.

86WARD
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
special teams depth. Nothing more. Same with Battle.

mesaSteeler
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/www/sidelines/index.html
Monday, March 08, 2010
Steelers sign Battle, Allen
The Steelers made their first foray into the free agent market, signing veterans Arnaz Battle and Will Allen.

Battle (6-1, 208) was originally drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the sixth round of the 2003 NFL Draft out of Notre Dame. He spent seven seasons with the 49ers and played in 88 career games as a wide receiver, kick returner and punt returner. For his career, Battle has 178 receptions for 2,150 yards and 11 touchdowns as a receiver. In 2009, he was the 49ers primary punt returner with 21 returns for 61 yards and added three kickoff returns for 68 yards.

Allen (6-1, 200) has played all six NFL seasons with Tampa Bay after being drafted by the Buccaneers in the fourth round of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Ohio State. Allen made two starts in 2009 before being placed on the teamís Reserve/Injured List following Week 9. In his six seasons with the Buccaneers, Allen had 63 special teams tackles and was named the teamís special teams captain in 2008. He started 26 games in six years and had 174 career tackles and four interceptions.

posted by Dale Lolley at 3:46 PM 5 Comments Links to this post

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Looks like the Steelers are replacing Clark with ............Ryan Clark.:tt:

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 06:17 PM
special teams depth. Nothing more. Same with Battle.

More like special teams beast/ safety depth. I'll take it.

mesaSteeler
03-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Steelers likely moving on at safety
March, 8, 2010
By James Walker
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/10330/steelers-likely-moving-on-at-safety

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed safety Will Allen to a three-year contract Monday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

As one door opened for Allen to join the Steelers, another one may have closed for veteran Ryan Clark.

Allen's signing is an indication that Pittsburgh is moving on with its safety position.

The Steelers targeted Clark as a player they wanted to retain this offseason. But both sides failed to reach a middle ground before last week's deadline, making Clark an unrestricted free agent.

Three days later, Pittsburgh went after Allen, and Clark is in Miami visiting with the Dolphins.

In my opinion, Clark is a better overall player than Allen, who recorded 20 tackles for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season. Clark also fit Pittsburgh's scheme and worked extremely well with safety Troy Polamalu. Allen will have to prove himself in both categories next season if he's the starter.

But credit the Steelers for moving fast to fill a potential hole that could have altered their draft plans. Pittsburgh expected to re-sign Clark and did not want to go into April's draft with a glaring weakness at safety. The team already has questions at cornerback and the offensive line.

Allen, who has 84 career games under his belt, gives the Steelers some piece of mind.

(Update: The Steelers also announced the signing of veteran receiver Arnaz Battle Monday to a three-year contract.)

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 07:13 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041204-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

3 years, $4.4 million

Good deal!

BigBen'sSwagger
03-08-2010, 07:24 PM

BEAT ME TO IT!!!

I keep hearing the theam song to Welcome Back Kottter!!!

Prok
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM

I just love it when i title a thread to make myself look stoopid.

:thmbup:

CargoJon
03-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Looks like Allen was to replace Tyrone Carter, not Ryan Clark...

solardave
03-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Lol.

Anthony Smith was a thug and a mistake of a draft pick like Limas Sweed sadly. Sometimes we do get picks wrong in the draft :noidea:

Another thing about Smith is Lebeau didn't like him and I believe I read that Smith just didn't care for the system. well, we all know this system works so something had to give.