PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in bringing back Foote

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Steelers interested in bringing back Foote

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200904/20090429mffoote0429_500.jpg

The Steelers are interested in bringing back one of their former players -- inside linebacker Larry Foote -- to improve their depth and create some flexibility at the linebacker position, the Post-Gazette has learned.

However, the Steelers are waiting to see if Foote, who is an unrestricted free agent after playing one season with the Detroit Lions, is willing to return.

Foote, 29, is scheduled to meet today with the Washington Redskins, where former Steelers defensive assistant Lou Spanos is the new linebackers coach; and later this week with the Arizona Cardinals, where he would be reunited with former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Foote asked to be released by the Steelers after the 2008 Super Bowl season because he didn't want to be a backup to Lawrence Timmons.

But the Steelers are willing to take him back because he would give them some veteran depth on the roster in the event of injury, even at outside linebacker. If LaMarr Woodley or James Harrison were injured, Timmons would move to the outside and Foote could take his old spot alongside James Farrior in the middle.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041149-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0hcJA6KnB

StainlessStill
03-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Just read it on PG. Mixed bagged for me. #1, will he want to? And #2 He would have to play second fiddle and be added as a depth player, something he could have signed for in the beginning. Talk about a mistake the Lions was? Waste of TIME.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
i believe there is NO chance this will happen... moving right along, nothing to see here...

steelerdude15
03-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't see him coming back to the Steelers. Timmons is coming along and he would just ride the bench.

Steelers>NFL
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
They could bring back Foote and release Farrior. Never know.
Farrior is smart, but much slower today. This is always an option until
the LB they draft gets up to speed in a year or two.

Fire Haley
03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
hahahahahahaha

hahahahahahaha

hahahahahahaha

that is all

jollyrob68
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I understand why they'd bring him back but why would he come back to be a backup? He can goto Washington or Arizona. If he came back because they did him a favor last year and he owes then fine. They should go after Kirk Morrison and negotiate with Oakland. Perhaps trade Colon for a 2nd & Kirk Morrison.

pete74
03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
They could bring back Foote and release Farrior. Never know.
Farrior is smart, but much slower today. This is always an option until
the LB they draft gets up to speed in a year or two.

they probably wont do it but i agree. we need to drop farrior, move timmons to the other side were he belongs and start fox or foote if he will come back

steelerdude15
03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
They could bring back Foote and release Farrior.
There is no way that Farrior will be released. If anything, he'll retire as a Steeler. Yes even though Farrior isn't the same as he used to be and is older, theres no way he's going to be cut.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Foote is a better linebacker than Timmons right now.

truesteelerfan
03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Nothing wrong with asking Foote if he's interested.....I'd be surprised, but I'd take him if he came on and knew what his role would be. Maybe a year suffering in Detroit let him knew how good he had it here....even in a backup role. He would immediately fill a major need as far as depth goes in our LB corp.

pete74
03-08-2010, 06:16 PM

i agree.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I cant see Foote wanting to come to the burgh. He will still be a role player until next season when he probably takes over for Farrior for a couple seasons and is again cast aside for a younger draft pick like Micah Johnson.

Still wish we could have drafted Jasper Brinkley last year. :banging:

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 06:51 PM

Uh, if you mean by last year's performance, you fail miserably. Foote had by FAR his worst season ever in the NFL.

(Please, tell me about how he has no one else on his defense. I couldnt have seen that line coming)

SteelersMongol
03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
They could bring back Foote and release Farrior...

:doh: blast u, u fu! don't u ever say anything life this again about our good ol' Farrior. :wink02:

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2010, 08:06 PM
With all of the other signings today, I don't see this happening.

wootawnee
03-08-2010, 09:54 PM
i agree.

Me 2......Especially in our system......

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Timmons has never had the chance to start for an entire season side by side with Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu on the field. He was also what, 22 years old when we drafted him? He's young, a rising star, brings versatility to our team (plays ILB/OLB), and brings a blitzing dimension to our defense that Lebeau absolutely salivates over.

Wouldnt be fair to say Foote > Timmons, especially when Foote is coming off an absolutely abysmal season.

wootawnee
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I think Larry really wanted to go back to his hometown to see what it would be like......But he realized that it was nothing like the burgh and the Steeler nation and our ways of doing things......He was really great in our run defense.......Much better than L.T.......I miss the old foot stomps.......It would be a win win right away, cause he knows all the calls and the playbook and all the guys....And we know him so the learning curve would be pretty instant,cept for what D.L. put in last season.......My heat wants him back.....

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Uh, if you mean by last year's performance, you fail miserably. Foote had by FAR his worst season ever in the NFL.

(Please, tell me about how he has no one else on his defense. I couldnt have seen that line coming)

In Dick Lebeau's defense Timmons is a bust. Foote was immense.

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 10:04 PM
In Dick Lebeau's defense Timmons is a bust. Foote was immense.

This is his first full-time year as a starter and he's a bust in our defense? Foote WAS immense. Even though he's coming off a really crappy season, i have no doubt that he's still as good as always if he comes back. He needs more experience, and he's never started full-time with our two best defensive players healthy the whole year. That's not a fair way to judge the two.

LVSteelersfan
03-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Timmons is hardly what you would call a bust. He has a learning curve but with another year under his belt I predict he will be a big time player this year. Especially if Troy is back in full capacity the whole year. I was glad Foote left and I don't want them to bring him back. I would rather see Joey Porter come back than Foote.

wootawnee
03-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Timmons has never had the chance to start for an entire season side by side with Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu on the field. He was also what, 22 years old when we drafted him? He's young, a rising star, brings versatility to our team (plays ILB/OLB), and brings a blitzing dimension to our defense that Lebeau absolutely salivates over.

Wouldnt be fair to say Foote > Timmons, especially when Foote is coming off an absolutely abysmal season.

I also gotta feeling that our D is going to mutate into some new form with Timmons being an underneath roaming rover, or an inside cover 2 drop back deep middle zone guy......kinda figure out a 3-4 4-3 hybrid, kicking out the nose guard and having 3 middle backers......I think something new is on our horizon......I can't wait to see it......This is why I would bring Foote man back to have Him ,Potsie and L.T. on the feild at the same time in certain packages......

wootawnee
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Timmons is hardly what you would call a bust. He has a learning curve but with another year under his belt I predict he will be a big time player this year. Especially if Troy is back in full capacity the whole year. I was glad Foote left and I don't want them to bring him back. I would rather see Joey Porter come back than Foote.

I like Foote better than Peezy(for our team)......He is more of a team guy.....Foote could have played on the 01 Patiots team that were all average dudes who played well together and gelled to become the best d team in the league.......

I got lots of love for J.Peezy too......But there ain't no spots for him......Who you gonna pull out.....Exacty ....Neither of our outside guys....They are the best tandem in the league....I can't wait to see what those 2 do this year........

steeltheone
03-08-2010, 10:19 PM
We dont need anymore 30 year old players,,,Need to get younger...In a hurry!

SteelGhost
03-08-2010, 11:32 PM

I agree with you Psyyco, Timmons must have a monster year with Troy and Aaron :tt:

I'm more concerned about adding depth to the DL and secondary corps :noidea:

Steeldude
03-09-2010, 01:13 AM
if he accepts a very, very, very low salary. i was tired of watching foote get runover, pushed back and standing around waiting for the ball carrier to come to him.

tony hipchest
03-09-2010, 01:44 AM
We dont need anymore 30 year old players,,,Need to get younger...In a hurry!

the packers have been one of the youngest teams in the past 5-6 years.

infact they even gotr rid of old man favre who was the last fogie to lead them to a championship game. (i think he also led the vikings to the championship game last year too).

personally, i would rather root for a bunch of 30 year old superbowl champions as opposed to a bunch of 21-24 year old college prospects, but that is just me. :hunch:

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Free-agent LB Foote wants deal similar to Fujita’s
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/09/free-agent-lb-foote-wants-deal-similar-to-fujitas/

Free-agent LB Larry Foote is seeking a deal that exceeds Scott Fujita’s contract, according to a league source.

Foote, a veteran with lots of 3-4 experience, is being sought by several teams playing that scheme. Arizona, Washington and Pittsburgh are in the hunt, and according to a source familiar with the process, Foote is hoping to exceed Fujita’s deal with the Browns, which includes $8 million guaranteed.

Foote spent last season with the Lions after playing the previous seven seasons for the Steelers.

Psyychoward86
03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Free-agent LB Foote wants deal similar to Fujita’s
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/09/free-agent-lb-foote-wants-deal-similar-to-fujitas/

Free-agent LB Larry Foote is seeking a deal that exceeds Scott Fujita’s contract, according to a league source.

Foote, a veteran with lots of 3-4 experience, is being sought by several teams playing that scheme. Arizona, Washington and Pittsburgh are in the hunt, and according to a source familiar with the process, Foote is hoping to exceed Fujita’s deal with the Browns, which includes $8 million guaranteed.

Foote spent last season with the Lions after playing the previous seven seasons for the Steelers.

probably not then.....

we aint that desperate to have 6 good linebackers, even in our 3-4 defense

tony hipchest
03-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Foote is hoping to exceed Fujita’s deal with the Browns, which includes $8 million guaranteed.

in other news- people in hell want ice water.

NJarhead
03-09-2010, 10:36 PM
the packers have been one of the youngest teams in the past 5-6 years.

infact they even gotr rid of old man favre who was the last fogie to lead them to a championship game. (i think he also led the vikings to the championship game last year too).

personally, i would rather root for a bunch of 30 year old superbowl champions as opposed to a bunch of 21-24 year old college prospects, but that is just me. :hunch:

I totally agree. However, it was tough to watch Farrior struggle both tackling and covering this year. I still think Foote has at least 2 good years left in him.

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 11:18 PM
probably not then.....

we aint that desperate to have 6 good linebackers, even in our 3-4 defense

having foote back would be an assett especially on third downs that could change the game.