PDA

View Full Version : Well looks like we won't be taking a S or WR in the draft.

SS43Polamalu
03-08-2010, 06:35 PM
We re-signed Ryan Clark and brought in Will Allen both play S and we brought Randle El back along with signing Battle.

taztroy43
03-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes sir...I think we might trade up to get Haden or ILB McClain....or even draft a OL at #18......or we might even draft a FS w/our 1st pick and develop him to replace Clark in the longrun....:noidea:

SS43Polamalu
03-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes sir...I think we might trade up to get Haden or ILB McClain....or even draft a OL at #18......or we might even draft a FS w/our 1st pick and develop him to replace Clark in the longrun....:noidea:

I would still love to pick Thomas but i don't see that happening anymore, maybe if we only re-signed Clark but having signed Allen as well i don't think so. I would love to trade up for Haden or even McClain now, even an OL worthy of being taken at 18 would be ok.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I still think we could see a saftey get drafted. It's just not a first round priority now.

SS43Polamalu
03-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I still think we could see a saftey get drafted. It's just not a first round priority now.

I hope we do, If Myron Rolle falls i hope Tomlin looks at him.

+NuBbS+
03-08-2010, 06:57 PM
i dont see us taking a safety. we might take a best available pick, or a value pick. hopefully we look into grooming a ILB, DE, or CB... you never know... hell the steelers may take a runningback!!!

SS43Polamalu
03-08-2010, 06:59 PM
i dont see us taking a safety. we might take a best available pick, or a value pick. hopefully we look into grooming a ILB, DE, or CB... you never know... hell the steelers may take a runningback!!!

Ohh i like the RB idea, with S no longer a need in the early rounds or at all, maybe we look at McKnight in the 3rd? I would love that lol

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 07:05 PM
We may still take a safety. Just not in round 1 or 2 now. Leaves the door open for guys like, Spoon, McClain and Haden on D. I doubt any OL will be there that are worth reaching for, unless they love Bruce Campbell.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I hope we do, If Myron Rolle falls i hope Tomlin looks at him.

I like Rolle but I think we might be leaning towards a SS. Maybe Berry Church, Cam Chancellor or Curt Coleman in the mid rounds. It really depends on whether the coaching staff views Mundy as more of a FS or SS, in my opinion.

SS43Polamalu
03-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I like Rolle but I think we might be leaning towards a SS. Maybe Berry Church, Cam Chancellor or Curt Coleman in the mid rounds. It really depends on whether the coaching staff views Mundy as more of a FS or SS, in my opinion.

Well good news, Myron Rolle played SS lol if he's available in or after round 4 i hope we look at him.

+NuBbS+
03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
id love to go running back in the first round. maybe grab a speedster like spiller or jahvid best?? but practically I'd like DL, OL, or ILB....

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Well good news, Myron Rolle played SS lol if he's available in or after round 4 i hope we look at him.

I'll be honest, I haven't seen a ton on Rolle other than some highlight films. I know he is super intelligent but is he stronger in pass coverage or run support?

SS43Polamalu
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I'll be honest, I haven't seen a ton on Rolle other than some highlight films. I know he is super intelligent but is he stronger in pass coverage or run support?

I personally think he's pretty good all around but if i had to pick one, run support.

7willBheaven
03-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I still think theres a good chance they get a S in 1 or 2. If Allen ends up making the team...he will be a backup. The other backup is Mundy...who the jury is still out on, but doesnt mean they wont pick someone if they are there. And Clark may not be a starter all 4 of the years of his deal, who knows. May not be as high now, but def not out of the question.

PhantomJB93
03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't think we'd take like Taylor Mays but we could still take Earl Thomas because *supposedly* he can be moved to CB and play almost as well there as he does at FS or something I heard like that...Id rather trade up for Haden or just take Kyle Wilson though

SS43Polamalu
03-08-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't think we'd take like Taylor Mays but we could still take Earl Thomas because *supposedly* he can be moved to CB and play almost as well there as he does at FS or something I heard like that...Id rather trade up for Haden or just take Kyle Wilson though

I'd still love to take Thomas, I'd rule trading up for Haden out, cause the Browns will probably take him and I wouldn't mind trading back some and picking Wilson up.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm a bit hesitant about drafting a corner early this year. We grabbed Burnett and Lewis in the last draft and I'm interested to see what they can do with a season under their belt. Plus with a healthy Troy I don't think our secondary will look as exposed as they did last season.

Obviously, Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff are going to know how Burnett and Lewis are progressing better than Iand if they believe Wilson is the best route I can't complain.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I would like to see Kyle Wilson at Cornerback.

the only positions we need in the first round is cornerback and o-line

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm a bit hesitant about drafting a corner early this year. We grabbed Burnett and Lewis in the last draft and I'm interested to see what they can do with a season under their belt. Plus with a healthy Troy I don't think our secondary will look as exposed as they did last season.

Obviously, Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff are going to know how Burnett and Lewis are progressing better than Iand if they believe Wilson is the best route I can't complain.

Well, Lewis didn't play at all last year and Burnett played very little. They're still unknown quantities but neither was a top pick so I don't expect either to turn into a Pro Bowler. I'd like to see a CB taken after either a trade down in the 1st or a trade up in the 2nd.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
How about turning Earl Thomas into a Corner.

Im hyped about the up coming season.

Now i can see Clark destroy ray rice and randle el throwing trick plays

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Well, Lewis didn't play at all last year and Burnett played very little. They're still unknown quantities but neither was a top pick so I don't expect either to turn into a Pro Bowler. I'd like to see a CB taken after either a trade down in the 1st or a trade up in the 2nd.
I think if you look around the league, you will see quite a few good CBs weren't selected very high. Hell one of the best DBs to play the game in Ronde Barber was like a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Northside Jonny
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I sure hope this means we take weatherspoon in the first and Nate Allen in the second.

SS43Polamalu
03-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I sure hope this means we take weatherspoon in the first and Nate Allen in the second.

I think if we're to take a ILB in the first round we should trade up for McClain. Nothing against Spoon but mid first is to high for him and if McClain falls passed the Broncos i say we make a move before the Giants can take him.

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I think if we're to take a ILB in the first round we should trade up for McClain. Nothing against Spoon but mid first is to high for him and if McClain falls passed the Broncos i say we make a move before the Giants can take him.

That. McClain is the next best linebacker in the league.

taztroy43
03-08-2010, 09:34 PM

If McClain somehow is drafted by the Steelers he will be the second coming of Ray Lewis!!!! I bet he will be as good as Patrick Willis was early and I honestly hope we have a shot at this guy because he's a beast and he's probably as athletic as Spoon!!! He probably is more athletic who knows:noidea:.....and most importantly he played in a 3-4 defense in college!!!!

Northside Jonny
03-08-2010, 10:04 PM

I don't think spoon at 18 is too early it is right around what I've seen him ranked according to players in the draft. He is without a doubt a top 20 player in the draft.

Northside Jonny
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Remember Supa injuries can ruin anyone even my boy SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Merchant
03-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I would love to see McClain in the black and gold but I just don't see him falling to 18, or us trading up to get him. And i actually like Spike better than Spoon.

Steel_Bus_24
03-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I still want to find a way to get Thomas or McClain if we can........We need playmakers on D..........Opposing teams are carving up our zones.....How many Turnovers we get this year will be critical.....................this Draft just feels like a lot is on the line, we can't afford anymore 2nd round busts like Sweed

especially if we lose Ben

PittdaBurgh56
03-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I love what the steelers are doing this offseason(besides Ben...but thats a whole other story)

1.We sign ryan clark, hampton, and reed back. Also add some key additions like Will Allen and Battle. Now you have troy, clark, mundy, and allen back at safety with no carter...which is awesome.

2. With i believe the safety stop to be locked we know can focus on something else in the first maybe OL DL Linebacker are all possibilities.

3. We are also said to believe that we are trying to sign El back as well as foote.

4. I cant wait for the draft and nest season it shall be awesome.

Merchant
03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I love what the steelers are doing this offseason(besides Ben...but thats a whole other story)

1.We sign ryan clark, hampton, and reed back. Also add some key additions like Will Allen and Battle. Now you have troy, clark, mundy, and allen back at safety with no carter...which is awesome.

2. With i believe the safety stop to be locked we know can focus on something else in the first maybe OL DL Linebacker are all possibilities.

3. We are also said to believe that we are trying to sign El back as well as foote.

4. I cant wait for the draft and nest season it shall be awesome.

El is signed. HIGHLY doubt we'll sign Foote back as well.

Steeldude
03-09-2010, 12:41 AM
if weatherspoon, thomas, bulaga etc... are gone, then i can see the steelers trading down and taking pouncey.

SS43Polamalu
03-09-2010, 12:46 AM
if weatherspoon, thomas, bulaga etc... are gone, then i can see the steelers trading down and taking pouncey.

I wouldn't mind trading down with certain people already taken.

SteelerNation12
03-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Very unlikely all them will be gone. If so, then some very good players have fallen. I wouldn't mind Trent Williams at 18

Galax Steeler
03-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Hopefully Mclain will be around when we pick it is not likely but you never know.

PittdaBurgh56
03-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Just wanna get everyones 2 sense on this.
On steelers.com message board one member bought up that Randle El said in a interview that when he talked to the steelers he talked about being the number 3 Wr, which would seem to leave Wallace out...then they go on saying it looks like holmes is on is way out seeing that Wallace would be able to start at 1 or 2. Writing this i believe more and more that this is garbage.

Why would we let holmes go or have him as trade bait? Anyone think this is a possibility? cause i dont see it.

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Holmes may demand far too much money. Or Hines is closer to retirement than we all think. Either way Mike is our go for the future

MDSteel15
03-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Mike Wallace is our next John Stallworth! :thumbsup: Mark it down!

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Mike Wallace is our next John Stallworth! :thumbsup: Mark it down!

Mike Wallace will set his own legacy thank you very much :chuckle:

Northside Jonny
03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Just wanna get everyones 2 sense on this.
On steelers.com message board one member bought up that Randle El said in a interview that when he talked to the steelers he talked about being the number 3 Wr, which would seem to leave Wallace out...then they go on saying it looks like holmes is on is way out seeing that Wallace would be able to start at 1 or 2. Writing this i believe more and more that this is garbage.

Why would we let holmes go or have him as trade bait? Anyone think this is a possibility? cause i dont see it.

I don't think you have to worry aboute Tone going anywhere. IMO this was a move made so the Steelers can part ways with Sweed. It also helps our special teams out Battle will probably only see ST work unless there is a mass of injuries to the WR. Twan said a possibility as a #3 reciever wich means he will get a chance to compete for the spot, but I highly doubt at this point he will beat out Wallace (unless he goes down). It's pretty safe to say that the top the WR are set in place the rest is just icing on the cake.

Northside Jonny
03-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
This guy has character, athletic ability, the football IQ to play in the middle, and he impressed at the combine. He finished his college career with more than 400 tackles, 43.5 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks, and 18 passes defensed.

taztroy43
03-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Wallace to me seems like a faster Santonio Holmes....maybe not as physical but @ this point he's faster than a lot of players in the NFL....but I honestly hope the Steelers keep Tone and Wallace together because if they do....they can be the best WR tandem in the NFL IMO!!!!

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
We probably have the best wide reciever set in the league right now.

Northside Jonny
03-09-2010, 11:03 AM

I agree we have a stacked reciever corps!

jollyrob68
03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Holmes aint going nowhere we'll franchise him and sign Lamar Woodley this year or the other way around.

Steel_Bus_24
03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Wallace to me seems like a faster Santonio Holmes....maybe not as physical but @ this point he's faster than a lot of players in the NFL....but I honestly hope the Steelers keep Tone and Wallace together because if they do....they can be the best WR tandem in the NFL IMO!!!!

Wallace is looking studly, but I don't think he shakes off DBs as well as Santonio.....hed struggle mightily for a time against better DBs like the ones Santonio faces

It would be a big mistake IMO to let Santonio go short of anything spectacular in return

jollyrob68
03-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I still think we'll take a Safety and I can see taking Thomas as a CB. I like KAm CHancellor but I think they'll go with Major Wright in the 4th. I also like Chris Cook & Myron Rolle.
The will select at least 2 DB's, CB's or Safeties.

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Wallace is looking studly, but I don't think he shakes off DBs as well as Santonio.....hed struggle mightily for a time against better DBs like the ones Santonio faces

It would be a big mistake IMO to let Santonio go short of anything spectacular in return

I gotta disagree with Wallace having a harder time. Did you see what he did to Jonathan Joseph (a top cb in the league) wallace just ran past him and creamed him in the footrace for the long ball he's fast so i doubt he will need to get phsyical in the pass game lol.

yqal3HRugLM

Northside Jonny
03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Speed does kill. Good point Supa . Gotta use what GOD gave ya.

Steely McSmash
03-09-2010, 11:54 AM

I agree. AZ would have been the best IMO before they traded Boldin.

To those suggesting that a safety be drafted still:

Is the thought that he'd battle with Mundy or Allen for a spot? The team signed Allen for 3 years with a $975,000 bonus. not sure if that's all signing or once he makes the squad. It'd be nice to get a young guy in there with a higher ceilng than Allen or Mundy although for this year we're set.

BKAnthem
03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
We need a corner badly, everything else except for possibly O-Line can be had later this is deep draft...i don't get this RB talk either...we have good RB's on the practice squad and roster, Summers, Redman, Moore....can't say that about our CB's

taztroy43
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Are you forgetting that last year was Mike Wallace's ROOKIE YEAR!!?? :doh:

CorpseLW
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
We should make a strong, coordinated, CB with stature, character, and consistency one of our top priorities in the draft. It's been said that the draft is full of good CBs this year; I hope we get the right one. I believe consistent play, intelligence, character, and stature are more important than purely speed/athleticism or the total stats in college.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2010, 01:17 PM
We need a corner badly, everything else except for possibly O-Line can be had later this is deep draft...i don't get this RB talk either...we have good RB's on the practice squad and roster, Summers, Redman, Moore....can't say that about our CB's

I agree. That is whey I have chosen to pimp Kyle Wilson. He's only around 5'11", but can cover and plays run support well. Good fit for the Steelers IMO>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6MfSrrGZU2k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6MfSrrGZU2k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

vrabinec
03-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I still see the possiblity for any one of five or six directions we take in the first, depending on who gets taken ahead of us. I think we all agree the guard is a strong possibility if Iupati is there. If some prized stud like Haden or McClain falls to us, then I can see that trumping the need for guard. If not, then IMO, Iupati gets taken before the Steelers go to the second level of possibilities like Pouncey, Weatherspoon, or one of the next level of corner (whichever one they like best) just because we have a great need at the RG spot, and the word from the top was to run the ball better this year, and a mauler would go a long way in bringing that about. The last scenario and the most far-fetched IMo is that we take a NT like Williams or a safety like Thomas after just having signed a NT and a S to a fairly sizable contract (safety would obviously be the more likely beacue Clark's contract wasn't all THAT big, and they were willing to let him go once, so they'd be more willing to let him go again)

The second round looks much stronger for value at the corner position this year IMO than the guard spot does, so that may play into it as well (which position do they think they can adress in the second round)

taztroy43
03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
:chuckle:I agree. That is whey I have chosen to pimp Kyle Wilson. He's only around 5'11", but can cover and plays run support well. Good fit for the Steelers IMO>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6MfSrrGZU2k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6MfSrrGZU2k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I would love this guy as well...he's a beast in both coverage and run support....but he is kinda small for a CB hes only 5'10" tall exactly...i don't think that he grew an inch between the measurments @ the combine until now...lol.....

taztroy43
03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
We should make a strong, coordinated, CB with stature, character, and consistency one of our top priorities in the draft. It's been said that the draft is full of good CBs this year; I hope we get the right one. I believe consistent play, intelligence, character, and stature are more important than purely speed/athleticism or the total stats in college.

agree w/ u completely:thumbsup: but if we don't go w/ a cb in the first i would love for the Steelers to draft CB Chirs Cook out of Virginia he's 6'2" 212 who ran a 4.46 40 i think thats correct...lol....but he does have some issues and raises some red flags!!!

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree. That is whey I have chosen to pimp Kyle Wilson. He's only around 5'11", but can cover and plays run support well. Good fit for the Steelers IMO>

kyle wilson is the definition of awesome. he would go to waste in a shitty franchise like the falcons.

vrabinec
03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
:chuckle:

I would love this guy as well...he's a beast in both coverage and run support....but he is kinda small for a CB hes only 5'10" tall exactly...i don't think that he grew an inch between the measurments @ the combine until now...lol.....

I don't consider 5'10 an issue at all. Wilson's about the same size and build of Ty Law, and it was never an issue whith HIM. But I do want to see how he runs at his pro day (I think it's March 26th or something like that) before I get all giddy about him. I watched a couple Boise games this year and didn't hear his name called, which is good (of course, Boise doesn't exactly have the Gators and Bama on their schedule) , but if he runs a 4.6....

jollyrob68
03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I like Kyle Wilson but he may be to Hollywood Diva for the Steelers. I like Chris Cook and Kareem Jackson.

SteelMember
03-09-2010, 03:10 PM
kyle wilson is the definition of awesome. he would go to waste in a shitty franchise like the falcons.

The "shitty" falcons signed Danta Robinson, and got rid of Houston.

That should go a long way in helping their effort. :wink02:

Don't be a hater just becuase Vick left them in a bad situation. Oh, that's right. Your a Vick fan. :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't consider 5'10 an issue at all. Wilson's about the same size and build of Ty Law, and it was never an issue whith HIM. But I do want to see how he runs at his pro day (I think it's March 26th or something like that) before I get all giddy about him. I watched a couple Boise games this year and didn't hear his name called, which is good (of course, Boise doesn't exactly have the Gators and Bama on their schedule) , but if he runs a 4.6....

I hear ya. He only did the bench at the combine because he tweeked a hamstring. So will be interesting to see what he can do at his pro day. He is flat out quick and from what I saw of him at the Senior bowl, it looks like he can run with anybody. My guess is something like a 4.4.......but we never know until he gets timed huh?

Northside Jonny
03-09-2010, 04:57 PM

I disagree that we have all this depth at RB. Because none of these guys you mentioned could find their way off the bench last season sitting behind a Moore and a oft injured Willie P. RB is not high priority in this draft but 4th round or later I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up another young back to deepen the competition.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I like Kyle Wilson but he may be to Hollywood Diva for the Steelers. I like Chris Cook and Kareem Jackson.

Kyle Wilson is from New Jersey and went to Boise.........pretty far from Hollywood. Plus his 25 reps at 225lbs shows he puts in the work at the weight room.

Here's some of his play from the Fiesta Bowl, including a devastating sack and fumble.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3p5XJg54xkA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3p5XJg54xkA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 09:25 PM
We could get Earl Thomas for 2 years at Corner then move him to starting free safety... and have joe burnett or william gay as the cornerback after that if they fufil there potential.

Steel_Bus_24
03-09-2010, 09:49 PM
We could get Earl Thomas for 2 years at Corner then move him to starting free safety... and have joe burnett or william gay as the cornerback after that if they fufil there potential.

yeah Im not opposed to that either, but Im starting to fall into the trap of getting to attatched to a certain player/position

its crazy, for years Ive been screaming O-Line and year after year Ive been disappointed we didn't get a stud early......now Im at the point to where I'll almost be mad if we don't find a way to come away with a good db early:eyecrazy:

wdsteel
03-13-2010, 09:25 AM
trade up to browns pick 7..and get eric berry..grom him to play CB or leave at safty. lol well give them our 2 6th round picks

SS43Polamalu
03-13-2010, 03:05 PM
trade up to browns pick 7..and get eric berry..grom him to play CB or leave at safty. lol well give them our 2 6th round picks

To trade up that far we would have to give up like our 1st 2nd 3rd and maybe another. As much as i would like to see Eric Berry with the Steelers i would never give up that much for one player.

jollyrob68
03-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Kyle Wilson is from New Jersey and went to Boise.........pretty far from Hollywood. Plus his 25 reps at 225lbs shows he puts in the work at the weight room.

Here's some of his play from the Fiesta Bowl, including a devastating sack and fumble.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3p5XJg54xkA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3p5XJg54xkA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ooh I like the man and would love to have him. But withthe issues we already have with Ben we dont need any more diva's. I'd take him for sure but the only Cb to take in the top 18 is Joe HAden. Thats why we should take Pouncey he's ranked 17th on Mel Kipers big board.

Galax Steeler
03-14-2010, 09:22 AM
To trade up that far we would have to give up like our 1st 2nd 3rd and maybe another. As much as i would like to see Eric Berry with the Steelers i would never give up that much for one player.

I would for a Troy P.:chuckle: