PDA

View Full Version : Steelers big day..

Prok
03-08-2010, 08:02 PM
So were all these signings a way to take some heat off of Ben or just taking advantage of un-capped year ?

Coincedence or not ?

What say's Steeler Nation?

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Doubtful. They needed to improve STs and they did with Allen and Battle. Randle El adds solid depth to the WR position and can takeover as the #4 WR. Clark was an obvious resign.

O Sensei
03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I seen no downsides to any of these signings, we are now stronger in the secondary, at wr and at ST. This allows them to focus on CB and O line come draft day. Good job overall.

tony hipchest
03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
So were all these signings a way to take some heat off of Ben or just taking advantage of un-capped year ?

Coincedence or not ?

What say's Steeler Nation?we are dumping ben and thus have an influx of spare cash.

heres some numbers via Steelers Depot-

Arnaz Battle Steelers contract a 3 year deal worth around $4 million

Will Allen Steelers contract a 3 year deal worth around $4.5 million with 1.5 signing bonus or so.

we're spending like ben in a bar in a college town full of lawyers. :tt04:

fansince'76
03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
we are dumping ben and thus have an influx of spare cash.

Beat me to it. :chuckle:

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
ryan clark agreed to a 4 year deal worth 4 mill garunteed

MACH1
03-08-2010, 08:25 PM
we are dumping ben

He's too fat and slow anyways. :rolleyes:

supa_fly_steeler
03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
lets trade limas for draft picks now

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
We could probably trade Sweed. The eagles just got a 6th for Reggie Brown lol.
As for Porter, why not for the right price. Can never have too much depth.

tony hipchest
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
He's too fat and slow anyways. :rolleyes:plus he rapes young girl scouts (unless they already have developing boobs in training bras, then he just gives them an autograph).

Rick5895
03-08-2010, 08:44 PM
A great day for the Steelers, Clark back and Will Allen is an incredible upgrade over Carter. Battle is a nice pick up and I saw the interest in EL but was he signed.? I would wait on Foote however and see what the draft brings.
Here is a thought for the FO (I can see the tar and feathers now , LOL) Big ben to Miami for Chad Henne and a #1.
For the Draft, DL, OL and ILB and maybe if we are luck Gerhart in the 4th round.

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Where's that facepalm picture when u need it most????

Pshh yeah obviously none of these signings are to be taken seriously, we just decided to sign 5 guys to take the heat off of Ben. Lol......conspiracies...

Prok
03-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Where's that facepalm picture when u need it most????

Pshh yeah obviously none of these signings are to be taken seriously, we just decided to sign 5 guys to take the heat off of Ben. Lol......conspiracies...

Hey be cool now this thread made it to page 2 so far. And a certain thread has been in-active for a bit.

:wink02:

steeltheone
03-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I seen no downsides to any of these signings, we are now stronger in the secondary, at wr and at ST. This allows them to focus on CB and O line come draft day. Good job overall.

How are we stronger in our secondary? It's all the same people..

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 09:22 PM

As a whole we should be better....

we get troy and smith back next year remember....

steeltheone
03-08-2010, 09:24 PM
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! My day has been made... Let's bring the crew back together... Anyone for Porter???

I like the special teams and wr upgrade. But our D is the exact same as last year only another year older. I hope im wrong. But it concerns me.

steelerdude15
03-08-2010, 09:26 PM
I like how they're adding depth to the chart and bringing back Clark and Randle El who knows our system.

tony hipchest
03-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I like the special teams and wr upgrade. But our D is the exact same as last year only another year older. I hope im wrong. But it concerns me.

there is the draft, and guys loke hood, lewis, burnett, woodley, timmons, etc. arent exactly walking around with the use of a cane. :old:

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Yeah i mean we're only getting Troy and Aaron Smith back, no big deal :rolleyes:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-08-2010, 09:35 PM
i think today allows us to address both sides of the line in the draft, and possibly a playmaker on defense.

i'm liking no salary cap!!!

tony hipchest
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah i mean we're only getting Troy and Aaron Smith back, no big deal :rolleyes:damn... i forgot about those chucklehead stiffs.

Northside Jonny
03-08-2010, 09:57 PM
The signing of two recievers tells me Bye Bye Mr. Rock Hands Sweed.

Bluedust
03-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Overall very happy with the signings, just hope we do something with CB still.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Does the signing of El mean we may be letting Logan go? El was the last Steelers player to score a TD on special teams.

I am liking this. El was never a great receiver, but he was good and always a threat to throw the ball. He's got speed and would be the fourth option anyhow.

tube517
03-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Ty Carter is gone. That is adding by subtracting.

Actually, I like Ty Carter but as a FS NOT a SS/Sub for Troy. And he's old. So thanks Ty for helping out but you gotta go.

tony hipchest
03-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Does the signing of El mean we may be letting Logan go? El was the last Steelers player to score a TD on special teams.

.i think allen rossum took one back and s. holmes did vs the chargers last year in the playoffs, but yeah, it has been to few and far inbetween.

steeltheone
03-08-2010, 11:49 PM
there is the draft, and guys loke hood, lewis, burnett, woodley, timmons, etc. arent exactly walking around with the use of a cane. :old:

Hood,Lewis, Burnett...Dont even start..Although Hood should....And our draft picks have a habit of sitting.

tony hipchest
03-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Hood,Lewis, Burnett...Dont even start..Although Hood should....And our draft picks have a habit of sitting.yeah? well our team also has a habit of making it to the afc championship game once every three years, and playing in the superbowl in 7 of the 43 that have been held. (thats about one out of every 6 for those of you not good with math.)

i dont see what the problem is. :noidea:

"While there is always room for improvement, there really is no better than the best."

-tony hipchest

RoethlisBURGHer
03-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Hood,Lewis, Burnett...Dont even start..Although Hood should....And our draft picks have a habit of sitting.

Hood might not start this season, but he will get a good amount of playing time.

Under Cowher, draft picks almost always sat. It was like a rule. Very few started from day one, and many didn't get a shot at large chunks of playing time without there being injury or a basically lost season.

Sweed had his chance. He wasn't going to start, he had Holmes and Ward in front of him.

Timmons competed with Harrison for the OLB job. He didn't get it, Harrison showed that he was a beast and Timmons got moved to the inside. He was the first backup for the outside and inside in his rookie season. His second season he split a lot of time with Foote. Now he's a starter.

Wallace was a rookie last season. He became our #3 receiver and played a lot. He had 36 catches, 756 yards, and 6 touchdowns.

Woodley came onto the scene late in his rookie year. He started to get a lot of playing time and was a major contributor in the playoff game his rookie season.

I think Tomlin will give every rookie a chance to win a job as a big contributor to the team. You have to earn your spot and your chance to show what you can do, it won't be handed to you.

If we take an offensive lineman in the first round, I think there is a very good chance he can start in the opener.

If we take a CB in one of the first two rounds, I think he will get a shot to compete for a starting job against Gay, Burnett, and Lewis.

HometownGal
03-09-2010, 05:52 AM
Anyone for Porter???

No.

I think the Steelers simply want to solidify their ST's and add a little depth, which is a good thing. :drink: Overall, I am quite pleased with the moves they've made thus far.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-09-2010, 06:16 AM
I understand both the colts and cheats were interested in ARE so it's good to see him not only back in Black and Gold and not wearing the colors of those other 2 teams.

I had a feeling when you see ARE interviewing players before the last Superbowl he was beaming as if he was going to be going out on the field with those guys. I don't think he ever lost his desire to be a Steeler. Glad he's back.

Rick5895
03-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Great day for us, now perhaps we can find Farriors heir apparent in the draft. OL(Pouncy from florida comes to mind) in the 1st. Brandon Spikes in the 2nd. BTW, my feeling is burnett or lewis will turn out to be very good players for us. Lets not panic and reach for a CB with our pick in the 1st.

Steelers>NFL
03-09-2010, 07:22 AM

I am liking this. El was never a great receiver, but he was good and always a threat to throw the ball. He's got speed and would be the fourth option anyhow.
Logan is not going anywhere. His numbers last season were way better the El.
Plus Logan is younger, with a lot less miles on his legs. It is still Logans job!

plenewken
03-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Personally, I don't feel particularly excited to see ARE back. I didn't consider it was a big loss when he left and he hasn't been much of a factor with the Redskins either.
I think there are lots of younger receivers who could have contributed as much (or as little) for less $$$.
I'm just saying.

atlsteelers
03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
i am stoked to have randle el back. we added depth signing will allen. we got clarke back (i am really surprised maybe the market was not what clarke's agent expected?). Plus we got a tackle from buffalo.

WeegiesWarriors
03-09-2010, 10:59 AM

I thought El was a fine WR. He's not a number 1 or even a 2 at this point in his career, but he can still be a very good 3 who can find a space in a zone and move chains on 3rd down.

He'll never be a Hines Ward (not many are), and for the time being he doesn't have to because Hines is still productive. But right now he provides insurance to an oft banged up Hines, and if he can be half of what Ward is then he's going to be fine. Seems like with the way Ward plays he is playing injured toward the end of the year lately. Maybe this and Battle will allow Ward to take a game or two off if we are in that position to get healed up a bit for a playoff push.

Fire Haley
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Will Allen and Arnaz Battle contract numbers....

The Steelers signed free-agent safety Will Allen to a three-year deal earlier in the day.Allen's deal is worth $4.495 million with $975,000 to sign, a source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton.

The team also signed wide receiver Arnaz Battle to a three-year deal, the team announced Monday. Battles deal is worth $3.975 million with $975,000 to sign, a source told Clayton.