PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign an OT

Steeldude
03-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Also, the Steelers have reached contract agreement with former Buffalo Bills tackle Jonathan Scott (6-foot-6, 318), an unrestricted free agent who started eight games for the Bills in 2009. Scott will be reunited with the Steelers' new offensive line coach, Sean Kugler, who coached in Buffalo last season.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041133-100.stm#ixzz0hetOz3oL

http://post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041133-100.stm

i didn't see this posted. i see posts on randle el, arnaz and allen, but nothing on jonathan scott.

what a surprise, he's an ex-lion :chuckle:

SteelerNation12
03-09-2010, 01:10 AM
He was a great college player. But never really lived up to anything in the NFL. Who knows, he may take off here. But was was likely just brought in for depth and because he knows Kugler system

Steeldude
03-09-2010, 03:10 AM
i agree.

i think hills will be cut

Steely McSmash
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
This is also insurace if somebody signs Colon despite the 1st round tender. (Maybe SFO would do this as they have 2)

I think we could carry Hills and Scott as backup. We normally have 2 backups who can play some tackle.

Last year was Hills and Essex. If Essex gets bumped from RG by Urbik etc, maybe Essex, Scott this year?

pete74
03-09-2010, 11:31 AM
i think hills will be cut before scott

steelreserve
03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Maybe he's auditioning for next year because we're worried about our ability to keep Colon longer than that?

Or, I agree it's pretty likely this means we've decided Hills is useless.

For all the talk about how we never do anything in free agency, we've sure gone out and filled some holes. Granted, mostly holes at the backup positions, but what else do you expect when you have the whole team back.

Man -- aside from the fact that our QB apparently wishes he still lived in a frat house, this has been a pretty kick-ass start to the offseason. We've literally got all 22 starters back, it looks like we're finally getting rid of Parker, and it also looks like we're being way more decisive than usual about clearing out those marginal guys who aren't pulling their weight (Sweed, Carter -- I'm looking at you).

I just wonder with this going on, how are we going to find space for all the guys we draft? We can't put them all on the practice squad.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Honestly, I would love for someone to sign Colon. the draft is nice for Oline ths year. Thats if we are to get the pick for this year, lol. I'mnot sure this guy is a good replacement, but the draft could fill it fairly easy.

If not this year than I rather keep him.

steelerdude15
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
It's good to see that they're adding more depth to the charts and with Kugler being here, it could make things easier for the both of them.

Merchant
03-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Maybe he's auditioning for next year because we're worried about our ability to keep Colon longer than that?

For all the talk about how we never do anything in free agency, we've sure gone out and filled some holes. Granted, mostly holes at the backup positions, but what else do you expect when you have the whole team back.

Man -- aside from the fact that our QB apparently wishes he still lived in a frat house, this has been a pretty kick-ass start to the offseason. We've literally got all 22 starters back, it looks like we're finally getting rid of Parker, and it also looks like we're being way more decisive than usual about clearing out those marginal guys who aren't pulling their weight (Sweed, Carter -- I'm looking at you).

I just wonder with this going on, how are we going to find space for all the guys we draft? We can't put them all on the practice squad.

I think if we draft a corner or guard/center like Iupati/Pouncey, they would start soon. I don't think William Gay is the answer opposite Ike Taylor, although I will ease off him a little since it was his first year starting.. And I think Hartwig is one of the reasons our running game struggles.. he just doesn't have the size to get a push against guys like Haloti Ngata

steelreserve
03-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Honestly, I would love for someone to sign Colon. the draft is nice for Oline ths year. Thats if we are to get the pick for this year, lol. I'mnot sure this guy is a good replacement, but the draft could fill it fairly easy.

If not this year than I rather keep him.

If someone signed Colon this year, our starting tackles would probably be Starks and Essex, with Scott and a rookie as the backups.

Not that anyone is going to sign Colon. They'd have to be crazy. Since, as you pointed out, this year has a really strong draft class, why wouldn't they just keep their first-round pick and draft a guy who's likely to be even better? I like Colon, but it's not hard to imagine that if you take an OT in the first or second round, he'll turn out to be just as good.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
he just doesn't have the size to get a push against guys like Haloti Ngata

Please name 1 Center that does get a "push" against Haloti Ngata.

Nobody gets a "push" on just about any NT in the NFL, its about holding your ground and getting a "seal" for the rush lane.

If you can, go and watch the last game of the 2008 season vs. the Browns, where Hartwig effectively sealed Shaun Rogers......then watch the playoff game vs. the Chargers where Hartwig had his way with Jamaal Williams.

I was the biggest fan of getting Alex Mack or Eric Wood in last years draft, because I think they are elite Centers. But you belief that Hartwig isnt big enough to play against premier NT's is incorrect.

Edman
03-09-2010, 01:29 PM
The Steelers sure are signing a lot of dudes in FA.

This is completely unlike them. I miss when people complained we were so cheap.

OneForTheToe
03-09-2010, 01:56 PM

I think Hills gets a chance to beat out Scott. There is no point in naming a backup at this point. However, I agree unless Hills made a huge improvement he is done. If we don't have much roster space for draft picks maybe this is the year to move up and get a stud at some position.

Although, if that position is on the offensive line, I have no idea where we will put them. You have to figure Starks, Kemo, Hartwig and Colon (no one is giving a a 1 st round) are almost locks to start. They seem to love Legursky and Foster so they are locks. I can't see us getting rid of Urbik after one season, so he probably makes the team. That is seven guys right there.

We usually keep nine so I would have to figure you have two spots left. Essex is at an interesting point in his career. He didn't do poorly last season, but I don't think he will get much better, so the Steelers could decide to upgrade at RG. So Essex could be anywhere form a starter, to a backup, to a surprise cut after camp. So the last spots comes down to two among Essex, Scott, Hills and anybody we draft or sign. Essex has the advantage of being a starter and also being able to play guard and tackle, so he is more likely to stays. That would leave Scott, Hills and a potential draftee/FA to compete for the last spot.

Fire Haley
03-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Scott started 8 games for Buffalo last year - Hills hasn't even dressed on gameday yet, has he?