PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys miss Cowher?

Whodey1974
03-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I know that Tomlin won a Super Bowl, but your identity seems to be changing from a smash mouth approach to more of a passing team. Fans of other teams always want Cowher when discussing possible candidates.

Steelers>NFL
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Yes, I misss Cowher. While I really do like Tomlin. The way he speaks and stuff.
But I do miss Cowher's spitting and fiery attitude. I was sad to see him go.
But yet excited to see what Tomlin brings.

KYsteelfan
03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I miss Cowher. He was a great coach for us. I think were just fine under Tomlin. He will keep us up on top

Prok
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I do not miss Cowher one bit.

I loved him as Steelers coach, don't get me wrong. But I think the team is actually in better hands with stronger leadership now.

Now I can't offer over-whelming proof, as it's just my opinion. And we all know the saying about opinions...

As i've stated to plenty fellow Steelers fans, compare Cowher's coaching to Tomlin's coaching in the big games. I'm convinced in our latest SB win that had Cowher been HC we would have been more conservative that last drive and been playing not to lose as opposed to playing to win, as we did. I can't factually back that up. But my OPINION is that had Cowher been in charge, we prolly end up kicking the field goal and being the first ever SB overtime game.

We may not win all the big games with Tomlin. And surely won't. But there is a whole different feeling with him in charge than when we had Cowher IMO. No sense of panic or over-whelming pressure.

I'm quite happy with coach Tomlin. :tt:

My 2 cents.

Northside Jonny
03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! He was so lame duck his last season here I was glad to see him go. I still believe if the FO would have forked over the $$, Cowher would've made them reget it. Great run Great coach, but it was time to change things where getting stale.

steelreserve
03-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Not even a little bit, after watching the way he checked out mentally his last year. It was time to move on.

Plus, I do think his reputation for not getting it done in the big games was well-deserved. Yeah, without him, we probably wouldn't have won the Super Bowl. But without him, we probably would've won more than one Super Bowl, if you understand what I mean.

Steely McSmash
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
I miss the young Bill Cowher who almost tackled that guy running down the sidelines but I don't miss the later Cowher who got all defensive in press conferences. He was awesome in his way but not really good as the face of the team.

I like Tomlin's head on approach and his way of speaking. I'll feel a lot better after the team turns around this year. Pretty words didn't seem to turn it around down the stretch. He won a SB so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-09-2010, 12:18 PM
i'm over him...i liked him a lot, but tomlin is OUR coach now. i believe that every person is made for the moment, and cowher had his. now it's tomlin's...

pete74
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
i dont miss him. we would of had another super bowl if he didnt stick with kordell stewert. i will never understand why he kept that bum in

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2010, 12:23 PM
No, he had his day here, he did well. We moved on, Tomlin is the man in my books.

Steeldude
03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
IMO, at times tomlin appears to be a person who says what he thinks you want to hear. for example, his comment about unleashing hell, but only to lose to the miserable raiders in a must-win game.

i am not advocating the dismissal of tomlin. he hasn't been here long enough to be let go this early. let's see how tomlin rebounds after this past season. obviously it's not all his fault. there were injuries involved last season. there was also a lack of focus which is generally the fault of the HC and his staff. tomlin is young and hopefully he learns from his mistakes or what he feels were his mistakes. on a scale from to 1 to 10, 5 being average, i give him a 6/7. some people may give him a 10. that of course is their opinion and one that is justifiable.

as for cowher, i miss his intensity, but not his play-not-lose scheme. i also do not miss how he was easy on veterans at times. i do think cowher did a better job putting together his staff.

don't get me started on how long kordell was allowed to be the QB

OX1947
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I do not miss Cowher one bit.

I loved him as Steelers coach, don't get me wrong. But I think the team is actually in better hands with stronger leadership now.

Now I can't offer over-whelming proof, as it's just my opinion. And we all know the saying about opinions...

As i've stated to plenty fellow Steelers fans, compare Cowher's coaching to Tomlin's coaching in the big games. I'm convinced in our latest SB win that had Cowher been HC we would have been more conservative that last drive and been playing not to lose as opposed to playing to win, as we did. I can't factually back that up. But my OPINION is that had Cowher been in charge, we prolly end up kicking the field goal and being the first ever SB overtime game.

We may not win all the big games with Tomlin. And surely won't. But there is a whole different feeling with him in charge than when we had Cowher IMO. No sense of panic or over-whelming pressure.

I'm quite happy with coach Tomlin. :tt:

My 2 cents.

Conservative huh? That's why he had Randle El throw a reverse pass with a 4 point lead in Super Bowl XL with 6 min left in the game?

Cowher lost ONE, ONE game when he was up 11 points at any point in the game in the 15 years he was head coach. He is the greatest closer of all head coaches, ever. Now, you wanna know why he was so conservative most of his career? I have 4 words for that, O'Donnell, Tomczak, Stewart, Maddox.

Give Cowher Big Ben in 1992, or Tom Brady and he would be sitting at CBS right now with 4 titles. There is a reason why he hasn't come back to coach yet. He wants to make sure he never has to deal with 3rd string Qb's that can't make it passed the AFC title game or throw INTs right into the hands of the other guys, with now one around, TWICE!

steelerdude15
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't miss him. He was a great coach and I grew up watching him, but I'm not the type of person who looks back and misses things. He'll always be in my heart as a Steelers coach and great person. I like Tomlin and I hope we can keep him just as long or longer. I mean only three coaches since 1969, no one else can say that.

Prok
03-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Conservative huh? That's why he had Randle El throw a reverse pass with a 4 point lead in Super Bowl XL with 6 min left in the game?

Cowher lost ONE, ONE game when he was up 11 points at any point in the game in the 15 years he was head coach. He is the greatest closer of all head coaches, ever. Now, you wanna know why he was so conservative most of his career? I have 4 words for that, O'Donnell, Tomczak, Stewart, Maddox.

Give Cowher Big Ben in 1992, or Tom Brady and he would be sitting at CBS right now with 4 titles. There is a reason why he hasn't come back to coach yet. He wants to make sure he never has to deal with 3rd string Qb's that can't make it passed the AFC title game or throw INTs right into the hands of the other guys, with now one around, TWICE!

And who's decision was it to have all those scrub QB's starting for us? How many times did we try to draft a QB in round 1 with Cowher ? Suppose ya wanna throw the entire FO under the bus for that ??

The man coached not to lose rather than coached to WIN. That'll get you some pretty good regular season success. Ask Marty Schottenheimer.

I'm not saying he was a bad coach by any means. I'm simply saying we are in better hands now leadership-wise and it shows in especially the big games.

It's my OPINION and it won't change.

:drink:

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2010, 01:17 PM
No.

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 01:21 PM
he cheered the hurricanes on against the penguins. i do not miss him after that.

SteelCityMom
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
No, not really. I enjoyed his tenure here, but after he clocked out his last season here it was definitely time to move on. I'll always be thankful for the time he put in here though.

steelcity1974
03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Tomlin has won two division titles and a Super Bowl...no, I don't miss Cowher.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2010, 02:08 PM
No, not really. I enjoyed his tenure here, but after he clocked out his last season here it was definitely time to move on. I'll always be thankful for the time he put in here though.

:applaudit: Well said, I completely agree.

The notion that Cowher somehow played not to lose instead of to win is idiotic. The conservative play in '94 vs the Chargers would be to run the football, not have O'donnell pass from the 3 yard line. Likewise, a conservative coach doesnt onside kick in the Super Bowl in '95, or tell his OC not to handcuff the players in XL.

Cowher knew how to close out games with a lead. But he didnt coach to not lose. :headshake:

Prok
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Even though i have been critical of Cowher's style..................

That's a perfect example of why i'll always envy posters like you SCM. So much said with so few words. Good job.

:drink:

Prok
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM

The notion that Cowher somehow played not to lose instead of to win is idiotic. The conservative play in '94 vs the Chargers would be to run the football, not have O'donnell pass from the 3 yard line. Likewise, a conservative coach doesnt onside kick in the Super Bowl in '95, or tell his OC not to handcuff the players in XL.

Cowher knew how to close out games with a lead. But he didnt coach to not lose. :headshake:

IMO there is a difference of coaching not to lose vs coaching to win and plain old conservative style. My opinion is that the team (AND ME PERSONALLY AS A FAN) never felt relaxed and poised in the biggest games.

But I do have a fondness for Cowher still.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
IMO there is a difference of coaching not to lose vs coaching to win and plain old conservative style. My opinion is that the team (AND ME PERSONALLY AS A FAN) never felt relaxed and poised in the biggest games.

But I do have a fondness for Cowher still.

Depending on the position, nobody should be relaxed in big games. You want a heightened sense of awareness and motivation. Its why you see pregame chants or jumping around in a group to get hyped up. Take a look at some sport psychology books and you will find that players draw from many sources of motivation like music, religion, family, reward or fear.

Bill Walsh told the 49ers how good the Dolphins offense was to motivate them in the super bowl. Mike Holmgren got a stack of $$ equivalent to the winnings to motivate his players. Cowher wore his emotions on his sleeve and his players would feed off of that.

Cowher gets an unfair label of not winning the big games, because of the loss in '95 and not more SB appearances. Its like Bud Grant, Marv Levy and Andy Reid, but he is really more similar to Tony Dungy who has also won 1 super bowl and been successful otherwise.

Cowher is and was a great coach. I don't miss him because he decided to retire and Tomlin is a good replacement. But the fans that loathe the era of Cowherball are a bunch of spoiled crybabies, as in contrast, the Buffalo Bills fans that lost all those Super Bowls in the '90's can at least appreciate the teams of that era and Marv Levy. Those are some loyal fans.

scsteeler
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
I know that Tomlin won a Super Bowl, but your identity seems to be changing from a smash mouth approach to more of a passing team. Fans of other teams always want Cowher when discussing possible candidates.

Miss him yes & no. So far Tomlin has fared much better than Cowher in his first 3 years. I am all about the future and not spending too much time on past performances.

Steelers>NFL
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Miss him yes & no. So far Tomlin has fared much better than Cowher in his first 3 years. I am all about the future and not spending too much time on past performances.

Tomlin is fared better than Cowher did the first 3 seasons because of one man - Big Ben. That's it!

JackHammer
03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Tomlin is fared better than Cowher did the first 3 seasons because of one man - Big Ben. That's it!

Yeah, and Cowher didn't win a SB until he had Ben. But really, who cares? They both fared well and they're both great coaches. We're lucky to have had coaches like that and even luckier to have owners who value their coaches enough to hold onto them for the long haul, through thick and thin. And to answer the question, I don't miss Cowher. I won't miss Tomlin when he's not our coach anymore either. On to the next one........ Because the next one will be a great one too.

xbroughneck
03-09-2010, 05:59 PM

The Steelers are a less physical offense team since he left, and I miss SMASH mouth football, but I don't necessarily miss Bill. I thought he was great for Pittsburgh and I think Mikey will be as well.

So yes, I miss the style of football the Steelers use to run.

No. I don't miss him.

I actually love watching and listening to coach Cowher on the CBS Sports show.

I think He, JB, Shannon, Dan and that fool from the Bengals are the perfect morning team.:tt03:

plenewken
03-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Not at all.

wootawnee
03-09-2010, 06:17 PM
The Steelers are a less physical team since Faneca,Krieder and the Bus left, not Cowher.....

Our Defense in 08 is up there with the best ever.....

Faneca is the Nastiest O lineman in the game since I don't know when.....When he went north he took that nastiness with him......Ask the Seahwks why they gave up a 75 yrd td in the SB and they will say 2 words, Alan Faneca......

pete74
03-09-2010, 06:23 PM
The Steelers are a less physical team since Faneca,Krieder and the Bus left, not Cowher.....

Faneca is the Nastiest O lineman in the game since I don't know when.....When he went north he took that nastiness with him......Ask the Seahwks why they gave up a 75 yrd td in the SB and they will say 2 words, Alan Faneca......

agreed and thats why i want iupati

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2010, 06:24 PM

The bus didnt carry the ball much in Cowher's 2nd last year. Kemoeatu is MORE physical than Faneca, but not technically as good. The absence of a FB and I-Formation running game is less physical for sure.

I dont think that you can discount the change in offensive philosophy as not happening when Cowher left. Cowher, Whiz and Grimm liked physical offense and defense........the current staff only values a physical defense.

NJarhead
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I love my memories of the Cowher days, but I love Mike Tomlin and his hiring is proof to me that I chose the right franchise to stick by all those years ago.

Pentheon
03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
I'll always miss cowher regardless if our team changes identity or not. Thats not to say I don't like Tomlin as a coach because I do.

Heart4Steelers
03-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Not, no. But...... HE** NO!!!

:hide: (sorry)

ETL
03-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Nope

fansince'76
03-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I'll always miss cowher regardless if our team changes identity or not. Thats not to say I don't like Tomlin as a coach because I do.

This. I still miss Chuck Noll too.

Shea
03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
he cheered the hurricanes on against the penguins. i do not miss him after that.

I had missed him up until I saw that too.

That image is seared into my brain. :shake01:

How could you do it coach??

Heart4Steelers
03-10-2010, 12:45 AM

yeah, and the season Cowher laid down (2006) here we were in a battle with the Falcons struggling to make the playoffs. Vick makes a nice run for a 1st down in the 4th Q and runs out of bounds in front of Cowher.

What does Cowher do????? he smiles and pats Vick and congratulates him!!! What the HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Falcons tie the game with a field goal... Game goes in OT... Final Score........................................

Falcons 41 Steelers 38

Cowher should have been shot! :horror::m16:

memphissteelergirl
03-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Everyone has their "season," as it were.

The Cowher era was one of the best in Steeler (not to mention league) history. But like many I thought if he knew that he didn't have it in him to coach after finally accomplishing his goal of winning #5, he should have walked away instead of letting things drop off as it did. That said, I will always appreciate the job he did and I will always have a fondness for him.

But now we're in the Tomlin era. An era that I think is off to a decent start, despite the last season. This is his team now. And I think it's in good hands.