PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Played the Game Perfectly With Ryan Clark

mesaSteeler
03-09-2010, 04:40 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/09/steelers-played-the-game-perfectly-with-ryan-clark/#cntnt
Steelers Played the Game Perfectly With Ryan Clark

o JJ Cooper is an NFL Blogger for FanHouse

Ryan ClarkAlmost every Steeler fan is shocked today to realize that Ryan Clark is still in Pittsburgh. But with the benefit of hindsight it is clear that the Steelers' front office pulled off a masterful negotiating strategy.

From the start, it was quite obvious that Ryan Clark wanted to remain a Steeler. He talked to the local newspapers and went on Pittsburgh radio stations to make it clear that he wasn't asking for Troy Polamalu money -- his demands were going to be reasonable. A player who is looking for the most money he can get doesn't really worry too much about making sure his former fanbase understands his reasons for leaving. But in Clark's case, he went on a full P.R. offensive to make sure Steelers' fans realized he wanted a reasonable deal in Pittsburgh.

But while Clark was proclaiming his desire to stay in Pittsburgh, the Steelers stayed relatively silent. They didn't throw out a series of contract offers. Instead, they gave him one offer right before Clark became a free agent, then went silent again. Clark couldn't be sure that the Steelers viewed him as a top priority or someone who they liked, but rather were quite willing to let him go elsewhere.

The Steelers plan appears to have been to let Clark realize that he wasn't going to get a massive deal elsewhere -- but they were going to let him decide to come back to them. On the first day of free agency, Clark got some interest from other teams, but he didn't get the full-court press that Julius Peppers or Kyle Vanden Bosch received. While the first signings were being announced, Clark stayed at home on Friday and Saturday.

Eventually, Clark's agent did try to ramp up the pressure by announcing Sunday that Clark was heading to Miami to talk about a contract. The Steelers responded by bringing in Bucs' free safety Will Allen for a visit. When Clark was telling ESPN's Adam Schefter that he liked his trip to Miami and hoped to sign, the Steelers responded by leaking that they had signed Allen to a multi-year contract.

That proved to be the masterstroke by the Steelers. By showing Clark that they were willing to go elsewhere, they apparently had called Clark's bluff. Just hours later, Clark, who had been talking about heading to Miami, decided to come back to Pittsburgh at a very reasonable four-year deal that averages $3.5 million per year.

The result? Pittsburgh brings back its biggest remaining free agent at a bargain price and Allen is quite useful as a No. 3 safety/special teams ace for only $4.4 million over three years.

Back in the 1990s the Steelers were criticized for letting player after player leave in free agency. Right now, they seem to be showing that they've figured out how to negotiate as well as anyone.

Read More: Steelers AFC North NFL Free Agency

mesaSteeler
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Clark says he never wanted to leave Steelers
Tuesday, March 09, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10068/1041365-100.stm

Safety Ryan Clark said he was intending to agree to a deal with the Miami Dolphins when he visited with them Monday because he did not have a contract offer from the Steelers.

But, after receiving a contract offer from the Dolphins, Clark phoned Coach Mike Tomlin and told him he didn't want to be anywhere but with the Steelers. So team president Art Rooney II and negotiator Omar Khan quickly put together a four-year, $14 million contract that Clark agreed to last night and signed today.

"It was always a situation where I wanted to be here ... I didn't want to leave," Clark said after arriving at the Steelers' South Side offices this morning. "When things seemed like they weren't going right, I'm not the type to sit at home and do nothing. I thought that was it. I was going down there to get a deal done."

Clark was so serious about getting a deal done with the Dolphins that he didn't plan to visit with any other NFL teams. But he said he didn't "use" the Dolphins to get a deal done with the Steelers.

And he said the Steelers' move to sign free-agent safety Will Allen to a three-year, $4.4 million contract earlier in the day did not affect his decision.

"This is the place where I wanted to be," Clark said. "If I get to finish my contract here, that's eight years in one place. That's an accomplishment for me. I finally have a home."
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10068/1041365-100.stm#ixzz0hipPjZuS

rich4eagle
03-09-2010, 04:45 PM
:tt02::tt::tt03:http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/09/steelers-played-the-game-perfectly-with-ryan-clark/#cntnt
Steelers Played the Game Perfectly With Ryan Clark

o JJ Cooper is an NFL Blogger for FanHouse

Ryan ClarkAlmost every Steeler fan is shocked today to realize that Ryan Clark is still in Pittsburgh. But with the benefit of hindsight it is clear that the Steelers' front office pulled off a masterful negotiating strategy.

From the start, it was quite obvious that Ryan Clark wanted to remain a Steeler. He talked to the local newspapers and went on Pittsburgh radio stations to make it clear that he wasn't asking for Troy Polamalu money -- his demands were going to be reasonable. A player who is looking for the most money he can get doesn't really worry too much about making sure his former fanbase understands his reasons for leaving. But in Clark's case, he went on a full P.R. offensive to make sure Steelers' fans realized he wanted a reasonable deal in Pittsburgh.

But while Clark was proclaiming his desire to stay in Pittsburgh, the Steelers stayed relatively silent. They didn't throw out a series of contract offers. Instead, they gave him one offer right before Clark became a free agent, then went silent again. Clark couldn't be sure that the Steelers viewed him as a top priority or someone who they liked, but rather were quite willing to let him go elsewhere.

The Steelers plan appears to have been to let Clark realize that he wasn't going to get a massive deal elsewhere -- but they were going to let him decide to come back to them. On the first day of free agency, Clark got some interest from other teams, but he didn't get the full-court press that Julius Peppers or Kyle Vanden Bosch received. While the first signings were being announced, Clark stayed at home on Friday and Saturday.

Eventually, Clark's agent did try to ramp up the pressure by announcing Sunday that Clark was heading to Miami to talk about a contract. The Steelers responded by bringing in Bucs' free safety Will Allen for a visit. When Clark was telling ESPN's Adam Schefter that he liked his trip to Miami and hoped to sign, the Steelers responded by leaking that they had signed Allen to a multi-year contract.

That proved to be the masterstroke by the Steelers. By showing Clark that they were willing to go elsewhere, they apparently had called Clark's bluff. Just hours later, Clark, who had been talking about heading to Miami, decided to come back to Pittsburgh at a very reasonable four-year deal that averages $3.5 million per year.

The result? Pittsburgh brings back its biggest remaining free agent at a bargain price and Allen is quite useful as a No. 3 safety/special teams ace for only $4.4 million over three years.

Back in the 1990s the Steelers were criticized for letting player after player leave in free agency. Right now, they seem to be showing that they've figured out how to negotiate as well as anyone.

Read More: Steelers AFC North NFL Free Agency

Great move for the beloved Steelers and Ryan Clark who embodies Steeler D all day:tt04::tt04::tt03::drink:

Psyychoward86
03-09-2010, 05:58 PM
LOL. And most people thought he was after the money

tony hipchest
03-09-2010, 06:04 PM
omar kahn...

the best in the business if you ask me.