PDA

View Full Version : Reassessing this team after the last few days

Preacher
03-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Heading into the offseason, we all had some worries.

1. The safety position had to be dealt with... We resigned Clark AND picked up someone to fill in incase of injury.

2. WR's were fine, but with our new system, depth beyond 3 receivers was a concern. We picked up ARE AND Arnaz Battle.

3. Some worried about an offense that was predictable. ARE brings unpredictability with him. It gives us the option of trick plays, Wildcat at times, etc. etc.

4. ST's were a problem. However, we picked up two excellent ST's players to shore it up.

5. LB depth scared me. Fox did fine, but after him there was nothing. Now? We are trying to pick up Foote, with that one move, we would become one of the deepest AND best LB's corps in the NFL.

6. NT- We resigned Casey Hampton

7. OL. Picked up a Tackle, have a guy or two waiting in the wings that have shown great promise.

8. QB. I am going to go on the assumption that until I hear anything else, Ben is playing. This isn't a thread for anything concerning Ben, let's keep it that way.

9. RB. We have one very good back right now.

So with all that said, what NOW do we expect in this draft?

It seems to me that we have just made a second round or a 3 rd pick expendable to move up in the first round. Maybe a 3rd rounder to move up in the first and a 4th and 5th to move up in the second?

Are all of these moves unrelated? Or are they now using FA to shore up, so that they can focus on one or two guys and REALLY attempt to get them?

Regardless, I REALLY like what I am seeing right now. I am ALSO seeing, that we aren't really busting the bank getting these guys.

So... Needs at this point.

1. Backup RB. Maybe Willie resigns. Haven't heard anything else about him going somewhere else. If not, I wonder if we would see a RB going in the 3rd round or so (provided that pick isn't spent moving up).

2. O and D lines. Well, too much font has been used here. Maybe they are tired of seeing players snatched away... and this year, we WILL move to pick up some top guys?

3. CB.... Don't think we'll see a pick here unless BPA happens. Not this year.

Thoughts?

Prok
03-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I think it freed us up to be able to trade up in 1 OR 2 if a player we covet falls.

I would not be surprised at all to see Parker back at a discount even. But I don't personally want him back. I think we can find his replacement in the later rounds.

I DO think we will draft a CB before round 3 this year still. This is a weak unit on the team no matter how ya slice it.

I think we'll be drafting OL and DL in early rounds as well.

I'm feeling much better about the team than I was before the signings, for sure.

We'll be a SB contender THIS year AGAIN.

We are a team built to win now. And that is why the signings made the most sense. (to those who have concern over the ages of players we signed / re-signed.

Nice topic Preacher, and a welcomed one at that, considering all the turmoil we STEELERS fans have been through in recent days.

:applaudit:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2010, 07:39 PM
I do think we will pick a CB in the first 3 picks. I dont know who on the O line is a young guy showing promise??(Hills, Urbik, Legursky, Foster??) Starks still sucks and Essex is in the last year of his contract, so I expect to see OT depth taken in the first 3 rounds too.

Keyaron Fox is nothing but a special teamer and backup, so a replacement for Farrior should be selected and our backup OLB at this point is Timmons, so an OLB will be selected since the Bruce Davis pick was a disaster too.

Yeah, we are fine, but the 2008 draft of Sweed, Davis, Hills is starting to look pretty bad. Instead I was hoping to bolster the lines then with #2 Kendall Langford, #3 OT Anthony Collins, #4 OG Carl Nicks.

LukesDad88
03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm still not convinced we've solved our ST coverage problems. The pickups are speedy, and the safety is excellent, but I felt that part of our issue last year was not getting off blocks or overpowering blockers.

mesaSteeler
03-09-2010, 08:17 PM
(I'll put this article here rather than starting another thread. - mesa)
http://www.observer-reporter.com/www/sidelines/index.html
Busy day for Steelers
F. Dale Lolley, the Observer-Reporter's veteran Steelers beat reporter, provides an inside view for Pittsburgh and the rest of the National Football League.

The Steelers added a pair of safeties and a pair of wide receivers Monday in perhaps the busiest free agent day in team history.

After visiting Miami, safety Ryan Clark decided to accept the Steelers' offer of $14 million over four years to remain in Pittsburgh.

That deal was struck at roughly the same time that former wideout Antwaan Randle El was also agreeing to terms with the team on a three-year deal to return to Pittsburgh. Randle El, who received a three-year deal, spent the past four seasons with the Washington Redskins.

Earlier in the day, the team announced the signings of safety Will Allen to a three-year deal worth $4.5 million and a three-year $3.975-million deal with wide receiver Arnaz Battle.

The signing of a pair of veteran wide receivers to long-term deals likely means that former second-round pick Limas Sweed has played his last football with the Steelers.

Sweed was placed on injured reserve at the end of last season so that he could deal with undisclosed personal issues.

The signings of both Clark and Allen, who played for head coach Mike Tomlin in Tampa Bay, means the team will not make an effort to bring back veteran safety Tyrone Carter.

Both Battle and Allen are also top-notch special teams players as well.

Godfather
03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
We need safeties and defensive linemen in the draft. The FA signings are the short term answer, but we need to find the eventual replacements for Troy, Clark, Smith, Hampton, and Keisel.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
If we take a QB in the first round then you know Ben is not playing...Otherwise I think he will play.

tony hipchest
03-09-2010, 08:26 PM
i think if there is a shot to get a blue chip NT (wilfork/ngata) or CB (revis/woodson) we have to act with the 18th pick. i slightly cringe everytime i hear how good revis is.

but which one? what if a blue chipper at each position is available? all other positions i think can wait until the 2nd round and onto next year (if this were last year i would be saying oher, the blue chip LT).

steeltheone
03-09-2010, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Preacher;783181]Heading into the offseason, we all had some worries.

1. The safety position had to be dealt with... We resigned Clark AND picked up someone to fill in incase of injury. Cark is a good sign..Will allen is nothing more than a special teams player and third stringer

2. WR's were fine, but with our new system, depth beyond 3 receivers was a concern. We picked up ARE AND Arnaz Battle. ARE is a nice pickup...Battle has 358 yards and 0 tds in the last 2 years...so anything we get out of him above average will be a boost!

3. Some worried about an offense that was predictable. ARE brings unpredictability with him. It gives us the option of trick plays, Wildcat at times, etc. etc. Trick plays and WC are for teams who can't move the football...Once in awhile is ok..Nothing to bet on.

4. ST's were a problem. However, we picked up two excellent ST's players to shore it up. Logan is better than ARE on Kickoffs...otherwise i agree

5. LB depth scared me. Fox did fine, but after him there was nothing. Now? We are trying to pick up Foote, with that one move, we would become one of the deepest AND best LB's corps in the NFL. Farrior is old and slow and so is Foote. Harrison, woodley and Timmons should be exciting...Depth not so much..

6. NT- We resigned Casey Hampton Had to do this...We are again old and slow on the line..Need youth and speed added in a hurry

7. OL. Picked up a Tackle, have a guy or two waiting in the wings that have shown great promise. Hope you are right

8. QB. I am going to go on the assumption that until I hear anything else, Ben is playing. This isn't a thread for anything concerning Ben, let's keep it that way. Without BB...We are not even a playoff team.

9. RB. We have one very good back right now. And should get better

Sharkissle29
03-09-2010, 10:15 PM
The only problem with the signings....

we didnt get any younger

ETL
03-09-2010, 11:07 PM
WE NEED A CB IN THE WORST POSSIBLY WAY!

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2010, 11:12 PM
3. CB.... Don't think we'll see a pick here unless BPA happens. Not this year.

Thoughts?

Why no CB? It's a definite position of need. I'd still like to see a CB in the first two rounds. I was just looking at nfl.com and Pat Kirwan's latest mock draft. He's now got Haden dropping to us at #18. I'd be very happy with that.

mesaSteeler
03-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Clark and Randle El coming back home to play
http://pit.scout.com/2/952432.html
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Mar 8, 2010

Antwaan Randle El fills the slot and Ryan Clark comes back to play free safety as the Pittsburgh Steelers completed a madcap Monday of free-agent maneuverings.

Ryan Clark made the signing of backup safety Will Allen look that much better by agreeing Monday night to a four-year, $14 million deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Clark signed on the heels of another homecoming signing, that of Antwaan Randle El, who was a key ingredient in the Super Bowl XL win before moving on to a lucrative deal with the Washington Redskins. Randle El signed a three-year contract Monday with the Steelers.

Originally drafted by the Steelers in 2002, Randle El spent the last four seasons with the Redskins and caught 186 passes for 2,202 yards (11.8) and eight touchdowns. Last year he caught 50 passes for 530 yards, but was released recently by the team.

The Steelers were one of six teams interested in Randle El, who turns 31 in August. The Steelers want Randle El to play slot wide receiver, but did not indicate whether he'll return to his role as punt returner. Randle El returned 129 punts for the Redskins, but averaged only 7.0 yards per return.

The Steelers earlier Monday had signed another slot receiver, Arnaz Battle, to a three-year, $3.98 million deal that included a $975,000 signing bonus. Allen signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract that also included a $975,000 signing bonus.

Lost in the shuffle was the signing of offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, a 6-6, 318-pounder who started eight games last season and played under new Steelers line coach Sean Kugler.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Why no CB? It's a definite position of need. I'd still like to see a CB in the first two rounds. I was just looking at nfl.com and Pat Kirwan's latest mock draft. He's now got Haden dropping to us at #18. I'd be very happy with that.

Kirwin had us taking Robinson....now Haden. But then again, what does Kirwan know about the NFL? :noidea:

Galax Steeler
03-10-2010, 04:34 AM
I think we will take a corner in the first couple of rounds. It is a bad need for us look at how much we got burnt last year at the corner position it is a must.

SteelerFanInStl
03-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Kirwin had us taking Robinson....now Haden. But then again, what does Kirwan know about the NFL? :noidea:

What do any of these guys doing mocks know about the NFL? :chuckle: I'm not sure what his background is and I'm too lazy to look it up.

With the uncertainty of Lewis and Burnett and the poor play by Gay last year, I'm thinking that CB is our most pressing need. I'd be OK with taking a CB in the 2nd if we take OL in the first.

steelerdave1969
03-10-2010, 01:06 PM
If we take a QB in the first round then you know Ben is not playing...Otherwise I think he will play.

This is a funny one to me. Nothing has been proven and there is no reason to think that he will not be playing.
I would love to see the Steelers help out the LB position in this upcoming draft, as its already been said Farrior is slipping a little and I appreciate all he has brought to our team. If McClain makes it to us at 18 in this upcoming draft I will be the happiest man in the U.S.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I still worry about out secondary. We need youth/depth at Safety. A legit CB. Depth at ILB. Depth at OLB. Depth and upgrade at OT. Upgrade at OC. Depth/youth at DE. A RB. An upgrade at TE...

steelreserve
03-10-2010, 01:46 PM
1. After the recent flurry of signings, I think our most likely top pick is still LB, although I wouldn't be surprised to see RB, NT or OL depending on who's available.

2. While I think it's likely we'll draft a DB somewhere, it's not necessarily going to be in one of the high rounds. Unless we get a steal, more likely we draft a guy in the middle rounds again and give him a couple years to see if he'll work out. I don't like the way Gay played last year, but if anyone is going to compete for his spot, it's not going to be a rookie; it'll be Burnett or Lewis.

3. MAN, am I glad that we got Clark back ... partly because he's a good player, but mostly because it put an end to all this bullshit about "OMG WERE SO SCREWED WE NEED TO DARFT A SAFETY IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!" Remember that? It was getting pretty stupid for a few days.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
1. After the recent flurry of signings, I think our most likely top pick is still LB, although I wouldn't be surprised to see RB, NT or OL depending on who's available.

2. While I think it's likely we'll draft a DB somewhere, it's not necessarily going to be in one of the high rounds. Unless we get a steal, more likely we draft a guy in the middle rounds again and give him a couple years to see if he'll work out. I don't like the way Gay played last year, but if anyone is going to compete for his spot, it's not going to be a rookie; it'll be Burnett or Lewis.

3. MAN, am I glad that we got Clark back ... partly because he's a good player, but mostly because it put an end to all this bullshit about "OMG WERE SO SCREWED WE NEED TO DARFT A SAFETY IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!" Remember that? It was getting pretty stupid for a few days.

We technically have the same Safeties as last year...with the addition of Will Allen. I think that there is a strong possibility that we draft a safety in the first....

....But I think that it will only happen if its Earl Tomas and only because he is so versatile that he upgrades absolutely every position in our unsteady secondary.

steelreserve
03-10-2010, 02:23 PM
We technically have the same Safeties as last year...with the addition of Will Allen. I think that there is a strong possibility that we draft a safety in the first....

....But I think that it will only happen if its Earl Tomas and only because he is so versatile that he upgrades absolutely every position in our unsteady secondary.

Well, yeah, that's what I meant in my second point ... we could conceivably take a DB, including a safety, IF we get a shot at a truly excellent player. Otherwise, the roster is awfully full of defensive backs already, so it looks like we're betting/hoping at least one of them pans out.

The biggest upgrade we'll probably make is getting Carter's sorry ass off the field. I seriously wonder if he didn't have the same effect last year as Stapleton did the year before -- being so deficient that he made everyone else around him worse.

It's entirely possible that Gay is actually still an average corner, Clark is still above average and Taylor is still very good, but they all looked about two notches worse than that with Carter as their help. Hell, it's also possible that Farrior didn't really "lose a step" last season, so much as he was already that way, but with Troy around (and A. Smith), it was harder for opponents to exploit his weaknesses. Yeah, maybe it sounds like I'm exaggerating one player's importance -- but I really do think that Troy compensates for a lot of everyone's shortcomings, and when you suddenly replace him with a guy who not only doesn't do that, but has shortcomings of his own, you can have the kind of system-wide malaise I described.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Well, yeah, that's what I meant in my second point ... we could conceivably take a DB, including a safety, IF we get a shot at a truly excellent player. Otherwise, the roster is awfully full of defensive backs already, so it looks like we're betting/hoping at least one of them pans out.

The biggest upgrade we'll probably make is getting Carter's sorry ass off the field. I seriously wonder if he didn't have the same effect last year as Stapleton did the year before -- being so deficient that he made everyone else around him worse.

It's entirely possible that Gay is actually still an average corner, Clark is still above average and Taylor is still very good, but they all looked about two notches worse than that with Carter as their help. Hell, it's also possible that Farrior didn't really "lose a step" last season, so much as he was already that way, but with Troy around (and A. Smith), it was harder for opponents to exploit his weaknesses. Yeah, maybe it sounds like I'm exaggerating one player's importance -- but I really do think that Troy compensates for a lot of everyone's shortcomings, and when you suddenly replace him with a guy who not only doesn't do that, but has shortcomings of his own, you can have the kind of system-wide malaise I described.

I think you are bringing up some very good points. First...that we were forced into using aging wave players (Townsend, Carter, Eason, Kirshke...) at critical positions and the rest of the defense paid the price. Secondly...that Gay was very average last year and the lack of a safety net behind him, made him very vunerable.

I am also of the mindset that Lewis was never really given a chance to show us what he is capable of...and I am hoping that he is fully recovered and ready to light things up this year.

+NuBbS+
03-10-2010, 02:36 PM
our defense will be back to number 1 next season for one reason. troy will be back healthy!!! all that we need a corner and safety talk was crazy and i pretty much ignored it. im glad we retained clark. hes a hard hitting blue collar type of guy. he definitely gained points with me when he turned down miami's offer b/c he wanted to stay "home". ike taylor is a good cover corner who doesnt pick off passes. if he did, he'd be a animal. troy is troy. you really cant describe his play in any other way besides incredible. the only question mark is the #2 corner spot. do u trust william gay again? i mean he got destroyed at times. or do u trust 2 unproven guys, one whom dropped the game winning interception against the raiders... or do u get a corner in the first round and coach him up?? IMO with the first 2 picks, i'd grab a ILB to groom, and a corner or OL to groom AND ACTUALLY LET PLAY!!! I havent seen any Tony Hills or Kraig Urbik. so who knows?? am i nuts?? lol

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2010, 02:41 PM
:noidea:our defense will be back to number 1 next season for one reason. troy will be back healthy!!! all that we need a corner and safety talk was crazy and i pretty much ignored it. im glad we retained clark. hes a hard hitting blue collar type of guy. he definitely gained points with me when he turned down miami's offer b/c he wanted to stay "home". ike taylor is a good cover corner who doesnt pick off passes. if he did, he'd be a animal. troy is troy. you really cant describe his play in any other way besides incredible. the only question mark is the #2 corner spot. do u trust william gay again? i mean he got destroyed at times. or do u trust 2 unproven guys, one whom dropped the game winning interception against the raiders... or do u get a corner in the first round and coach him up?? IMO with the first 2 picks, i'd grab a ILB to groom, and a corner or OL to groom AND ACTUALLY LET PLAY!!! I havent seen any Tony Hills or Kraig Urbik. so who knows?? am i nuts?? lol

I wouldnt mind an ILB myself...but I think Denver grabs McClain and the Giants draft Weatherspoon. I would like Dan Williams..but think he will go to the Dolphins. I also would like on of the stud OT's....but the 4 that I covet are going to be gone by #18...

+NuBbS+
03-10-2010, 02:43 PM
:noidea:

I wouldnt mind an ILB myself...but I think Denver grabs McClain and the Giants draft Weatherspoon. I would like Dan Williams..but think he will go to the Dolphins. I also would like on of the stud OT's....but the 4 that I covet are going to be gone by #18...

i agree with you completely. you never know what the steelers are going to do one draft day unless its an obvious need. the 2 stud LB's will be gone, the stud tackles will be gone. So I guess that leaves secondary depth?? or best player available?? :noidea:

Prok
03-10-2010, 02:51 PM
:noidea:

I think you will be happy on draft day. I'd be willing to bet that the clowns and another team or 2 reaches for one of the QB's or other skill position players and one of your top guys drops right in our laps.

steelerdude15
03-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm glad they're adding depth to the charts. And if Sweed leaves... whatever.

Preacher
03-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I think the last first round draft pick that was a consensus pick before the draft was Heath Miller.

Steelers do have a way of surprising people during draft day.

IMO, if there are people at safety, CB, OL, DL, or LB, that are at an equal level... I think we draft OL first and DL second. LB, then safety, then CB.

a BPA at any one of those positions that is head and shoulders above the rest will trump the others though.

MaidenIndiana
03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Personally I'm happy as a pig in shit with all the recent moves the Steelers have made.:tt03:

ricksteelers55
03-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I think Mike Lupati might be a pick for us in 1st round if available...also a pick that we might take could be Cam Thomas NT out of UNC in rounds 3-4.

I think that unless someone incredible falls to us at 18,we wont get DB until at least the 2nd round because this is a deep position you can get great talent in 2nd round.

MongoSteeler
03-12-2010, 06:01 AM
We got scooped on Revis last because the Jets KNEW we were going to pick him. I wouldn't be surprised to see them manuver into a spot to pick Haden. And with the Steelers Tradition of having great centers, don't forget that there is one out there this year that is very highly regarded and able to play multiple positions.

solardave
03-12-2010, 06:38 AM
I think the signings are a decent band aid so we can now draft for youthful starters. We either resign Willie, draft a RB in the later rounds or give Redman a shot. He is still on the roster isn't he? We should go DL,OL, DB,DL and from that point BAP and a RB late. Please, no more TEs. It seems like every year if thetre is ONE left we draft him.

pete74
03-12-2010, 06:51 AM
I think Mike Lupati might be a pick for us in 1st round if available...also a pick that we might take could be Cam Thomas NT out of UNC in rounds 3-4.

I think that unless someone incredible falls to us at 18,we wont get DB until at least the 2nd round because this is a deep position you can get great talent in 2nd round.

agreed. i think iupati will be our 1st round pick unless one of the top left tackles slipt to 18. i also wouldnt be srprised to see Mcclain drop to us and we grab him. most mocks have him gone long before we pick but i read that no ILB has ever gone higher then the 9th pick in the last 15 years and the one that was picked 9th was brian urlacher. anyway, if i had to bet i would say we take iupati 1st but when you go back and look at the mock drafts over the last 3 years they all have 1 thing in common. they all have more wrong then right picks because the draft is very unpredictable