PDA

View Full Version : Randel El seems to think he'll be #3 receiver

LukesDad88
03-09-2010, 06:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AofFFJUjrLX2REprBDaBfr9DubYF?slug=ap-steelers-clark-randleel&prov=ap&type=lgns

“We talked about being the No. 3 receiver,” Randle El said. “I’m focused on being the No. 3 receiver, and that’s what I want to be. Certainly, If Hines or Santonio (Holmes) goes down, of course, being (lined up) outside. … It’s a great situation. I have some history here.”

Love ya, El and I'm glad to see you back in the B&G, and I do think you've made a great #3 on Steeler teams in the past and I think you could be an above average #3 even today on most teams; but Wallace is going to take you to school.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
agree, Wallace is Our number 3... Randel El gives us a solid backup

HometownGal
03-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Dream on, El. Wallace has more than earned that #3 slot. Just thank your lucky stars the Steelers brought you back into the fold, know your place and do what you gotta do to help your team WIN.

Nadroj 20
03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
No way ARE, wallace is are #3 guy and will remain that way.

Vincent
03-09-2010, 08:28 PM
People, Hines is slowing down, God love him. He's tough as nails and he had a great year, but. Tone, being in his 5th year, and a SB MVP should be pushing for #1 status. Wallace appears to be the "real deal". 1-2-3 could shake out several different ways. I don't see ARE challenging any of those three, but.

I'd love to see Sweed show up this year. What a five that'd be.

NJarhead
03-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Awwe, that's cute. #4 thinks he's the 3.
Welcome back El, but you're here because Sweed isn't working out at #4.

Psyychoward86
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Cute? I applaud his commitment to excellence. While everyone else shoots down words and laughs, im glad that he intends to give Wallace a stiff competition. Way to go ARE, go for it. :tt04:

And for the record, ARE is best in the slot, and i really dont think Wallace is. He played pretty good everywhere for us, but i think he's at his best on the outside. A WR that runs a 4.3 40 just seems like kind of a waste of speed if he's playing slot all the time :/

It isnt crazy to call ARE our #2 receiver at slot

GBMelBlount
03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Randle El said. “I’m focused on being the No. 3 receiver, and that’s what I want to be

I respect that. If he didn't feel this way, I wouldn't want him on our team.

NJarhead
03-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Cute? I applaud his commitment to excellence. While everyone else shoots down words and laughs, im glad that he intends to give Wallace a stiff competition. Way to go ARE, go for it. :tt04:

And for the record, ARE is best in the slot, and i really dont think Wallace is. He played pretty good everywhere for us, but i think he's at his best on the outside. A WR that runs a 4.3 40 just seems like kind of a waste of speed if he's playing slot all the time :/

It isnt crazy to call ARE our #2 receiver at slot

I respect that. If he didn't feel this way, I wouldn't him on our team.

You guys are right. :thumbsup:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-09-2010, 09:08 PM
i'm not certain that anyone told El about some kid named Mike Wallace, who has since shown up in the last year. That's okay...El will find this out for himself soon enough...

And for the record: Sweed is done. The dude is a head case and he's not just fighting for a spot on the Steeler's roster, but sad to say, for his career.

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Awwe, that's cute. #4 thinks he's the 3.
Welcome back El, but you're here because Sweed isn't working out at #4.

lol :chuckle:

OneForTheToe
03-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't see the big deal who is number 3 receiver. I mean it is not an official position. After Hines and Santo the coaches put in the guys who are best suited for the position at the time. It can change week to week and series to series. I too think Wallace will see more playing time than El, but why would you tell a young second year player, "don't worry, no need to work extra hard you are already the #3?" That makes little sense to me. I am happy to have them both.

Shoes
03-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Exactly!

Psyychoward86
03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/03/sweed1_500-thumb-250x149-6937.jpg Cmon are you serious?

lolz were had

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Sweed should be traded.

What a disgrace has the ignorance not to show up for us... That whole 2008 draft class went to waste apart from Mendenhall.... It's horrfyingly putrid that he has not shown up for two years.

Good Luck whereever you go Limas.

NJarhead
03-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Sweed should be traded.

What a disgrace has the ignorance not to show up for us... That whole 2008 draft class went to waste apart from Mendenhall.... It's horrfyingly putrid that he has not shown up for two years.

Good Luck whereever you go Limas.

What are you gonna trade him for? A football autographed by Mitch Berger?

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 09:32 PM

A pair of hand knittens

NJarhead
03-09-2010, 09:34 PM
A pair of hand knittens

:chuckle:

A taco.

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 09:35 PM

A taco.

how about a mitch berger autograph on a taco picture for a conditional pick

http://images.clipartof.com/small/8041-Clipart-Picture-Of-A-Taco-Mascot-Cartoon-Character-With-Welcoming-Open-Arms.jpg

NJarhead
03-09-2010, 09:38 PM

http://images.clipartof.com/small/8041-Clipart-Picture-Of-A-Taco-Mascot-Cartoon-Character-With-Welcoming-Open-Arms.jpg

We're hijacking this thread. lol

A pencil.

Psyychoward86
03-09-2010, 09:41 PM

ooo harsh :rofl:

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Lol sorry for hijacking. but......

I shall get on the phone to Tomlin and we shall make the trade. the biggest blockbuster trade in history

NJarhead
03-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Lol sorry for hijacking. but......

I shall get on the phone to Tomlin and we shall make the trade. the biggest blockbuster trade in history

A copy of The Hangover on Bluray?

steelpride12
03-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Well good for him for thinking like that. Of course he won't beat out Wallace, but I hope to see ARE play like a #3 for sure!

mesaSteeler
03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Antwaan Randle El Mistaken About His Role With Steelers
3/09/2010 9:53 PM ET By JJ Cooper
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/09/randle-el-mistaken-about-his-role-with-steelers/

Antwaan Randle ElAntwaan Randle El didn't get a chance to watch many Steelers games last year. It's understandable--he was busy playing for the Redskins. But because he didn't get to see the Steelers, he appears to be under the mistaken assumption that he will be the Steelers No. 3 receiver in 2010.

I say mistaken because even when he was in his prime, Randle El was not as good a receiver as Mike Wallace was as a rookie. At this point in his career only an injury to Wallace would explain why Randle El would play ahead of him. If the Steelers actually told Randle El that he would be their No. 3 receiver this year either they were a) lying or b) crazy. There is no other logical explanation.

When Randle El talked to the Washington Post, he seemed to believe that he's returning to Pittsburgh as a key cog.

"We've talked about just playing No. 3 receiver. That's all we talked about," Randle El said. "I'm not even sure about punt return, now that I think about it. The way I always look at it, I'm going to go in and be No. 3. But if the other guys go down, certainly, I'll be the one to step in. I don't think I'm going to be sitting on the sideline watching. That's how I approach it."

Randle El understandably has a high opinion of his skills. And it's hard to find a Steelers fan who isn't happy to have Randle El back. He was a beloved member of the Super Bowl XL champions and even his departure was understandable--the Redskins gave him the kind of contract you don't turn down.

But Randle El is nothing more than a security blanket for the Steelers. And if he's anything more than that, something has gone horribly wrong among the Steelers coaches and front office. Pittsburgh has plenty of targets to throw to already--Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward each topped 1,000 yards last year. Tight end Heath Miller was a Pro Bowler last year. And Mike Wallace is one of the top young receivers in the league.

Yes, Randle El is still somewhat capable of finding the seam in a zone to snag a nine-yard pass on third and eight---although don't expect him to get many yards after the catch. But Wallace is capable of catching a 70-yard touchdown on that same third and eight. There's no way that playing Randle El over Wallace would help the Steelers win games.

In his best season, Randle El caught 51 passes for 728 yards--in his worst season he started 16 games but still finished with only 351 yards. Even though he wasn't a starter, Wallace's caught 39 passes for 756 yards (better than Randle El's career high) as a rookie. Randle El has six catches of 40 yards or more in his career. Wallace had six of 40+ as a rookie. In Randle El's best season he had four touchdowns. Wallace had six last year.

And it's not clear that Randle El is the obvious choice as a punt returner either. He averaged a brutal 6.0 yards per punt return last year with three fumbles in only 17 returns. He hasn't averaged more than seven yards a return since 2006. In comparison Stefan Logan averaged 9.3 yards per punt return for the Steelers. Logan also put together the best season as a Steeler kick returner in nearly two decades.

Randle El's return likely means that Logan's days as a Steeler are numbered--between Randle El, Mewelde Moore, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace and Joe Burnett there are enough punt and kick return candidates who also contribute on offense or defense to make a pure returner a luxury. But Steelers fans expecting that they are getting the Randle El of 2005 back are likely to be somewhat disappointed.

tony hipchest
03-09-2010, 10:33 PM
In his best season, Randle El caught 51 passes for 728 yards--in his worst season he started 16 games but still finished with only 351 yards. Even though he wasn't a starter, Wallace's caught 39 passes for 756 yards (better than Randle El's career high) as a rookie. Randle El has six catches of 40 yards or more in his career. Wallace had six of 40+ as a rookie. In Randle El's best season he had four touchdowns. Wallace had six last year.

:sofunny: = Burn!

fansince'76
03-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow. I've read peoples' pining over ARE's departure for 4 years and now that he's back, he gets dumped on for one off-the-cuff comment about being the 3rd WR. :rolleyes:

Merchant
03-09-2010, 10:51 PM
LOL.. no way he's starting over Wallace.. I have a feeling that guy's gonna be something special for years to come

SteelerEmpire
03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Looks like Santonio Holmes or Hines Ward is in trouble....

Merchant
03-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Sweed's gonna beast this year.. I FEEL IT

I'M NOT GIVING UP ON HIM JUST YETTT lol

SteelGhost
03-09-2010, 11:13 PM
I think ARE will be filling Sweed´s spot (4th WR that is), I only hope he catches the ball ! :sofunny:

Someone posted that Limas could be in the practice squad for one year, maybe that makes sense :noidea:

klick81
03-09-2010, 11:26 PM
He's the perfect guy to be pushing Wallace to get even better IMO. There doesn't seem to be anyone else doing it. Although you can't blame ARE for being confident, I don't see him knocking Wallace out!

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2010, 12:01 AM
. And it's hard to find a Steelers fan who isn't happy to have Randle El back.

can't say i'm overly thrilled about it. the way i see it, if your adding average to below average vets who have clearly already hit thier ceiling , a low ceiling at that, then your not moving forward, your standing still... i mean these guys like el and battle are clearly not starter material and NEVER will be an offer zero upside. tomlin said before,"we don't have backups...we have starters in waiting ".... that actually SHOULD be the philosophy for adding depth, but as long as you got guys on the roster who have no upside or future, then your lessening the chances of finding the guy who does...
if you want a perfect example of this, chucky okolbi would be it... he took up a roster spot for 5 freakin years, then when it came time to start, adios chucky... so instead of staying pro active in search for the next great center, they stood pat on a bum who couldn't make ANYONES roster after the steelers canned him.

OneForTheToe
03-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Wow. I've read peoples' pining over ARE's departure for 4 years and now that he's back, he gets dumped on for one off-the-cuff comment about being the 3rd WR. :rolleyes:

Isn't it the truth, though. My god would people be praising him if he said, " oh, I don't care, maybe if I play a little it would be ok ."

Wow, Steelers' fans area tough bunch. Your either on your way straight to the Hall like Wallace apparently is or a bum like El is for wanting to play.

mikegrimey
03-10-2010, 01:52 AM
I appreciate RE's competitive spirit, but the FO and coaching staff have to be gassing him up if they really want to put him in ahead of Wallace. Wallace was too good last year not to get more chances in the passing game

Galax Steeler
03-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Sweed's gonna beast this year.. I FEEL IT

I'M NOT GIVING UP ON HIM JUST YETTT lol

You may not be giving up on him but I think the front office has. Why else would we be signing these receivers.

stillers4me
03-10-2010, 05:43 AM
Tomlin loves compitition. It's how he drives them to be better. And if threatening Wallace with El to push him forward to be #2 when Hines retires, then I'm all for it.

pete74
03-10-2010, 05:46 AM
i think wallace is a younger ward and will be the star of the steelers for many years to come. as for hines, who knows this could be his last year and if so then we can really use ARE. holmes contract is about up and if he chooses to go elswere for more money then we can really use ARE.

madtowndrunkard
03-10-2010, 06:50 AM
i think wallace is a younger ward and will be the star of the steelers for many years to come. as for hines, who knows this could be his last year and if so then we can really use ARE. holmes contract is about up and if he chooses to go elswere for more money then we can really use ARE.

This is a big part of it IMO. I don't think we have any chance in re signing Holmes. I think Holmes is potentially the best WR in the NFL. I think other teams recognize that and will drive his price sky high. We will not be able to afford him.

Ward wants to retire a steeler so his next contract will likely be at a discount. Wallace is clearly a capable #1 or #2 starter...assuming he builds on his rookie season.

The other part is I think maybe the steelers FO wasn't exactly honest with ARE. They probably told him he could compete for a #3 job. I doubt ARE understands just how good Wallace is. I'm sure we want to push Wallace as much as we can.

madtowndrunkard
03-10-2010, 06:57 AM
People, Hines is slowing down, God love him. He's tough as nails and he had a great year, but. Tone, being in his 5th year, and a SB MVP should be pushing for #1 status. Wallace appears to be the "real deal". 1-2-3 could shake out several different ways. I don't see ARE challenging any of those three, but.

I'd love to see Sweed show up this year. What a five that'd be.

Holmes could potentially be the highest paid WR in the NFL when his contract talks start. I think we have little to no chance of re signing him. Ward wants to retire a steeler...he'll take a discount. I would hardly say Ward has lost a step. His numbers were equal to Holmes. He's the heart and sole of our offense.

There's a chance we just might be trading Holmes for a new QB anyway.

pete74
03-10-2010, 07:48 AM
thats what i was saying, i dont see us resigning holmes. he is a great reciever and he is going to want way more money then we can afford. its a shame that we draft a good wr and lose him when his contract is up because he played to well but thats the nfl. we will definatly need to draft a wr in the 1st 3 rounds next year if we dont resign holmes

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-10-2010, 08:18 AM
This story is like an alcoholic attending an AA meeting and the facilitator brings a case of beer that night...

Mr. Rooney: "Hey Bruce! Could we talk for a moment? I want you to know that we want to place an emphasis on running the football next season... I think we'd both agree that we've gotten away from that. All these shotgun formations are cute and all, but Steelers Football is about the power running game."

Bruce Arians: "Yes, Mr. Rooney. Point taken..."

Mr. Rooney: "Oh, and Bruce... By the way - we're going to sign a pair of wide receivers in free agency and most likely watch our backup running back leave in free agency..."

You couldn't write a better script... :)

SteelerEmpire
03-10-2010, 09:18 AM
This is an indication that the Steelers plan to "really work" Ward, Holmes and Wallace... So if one or two of them go down, they will have a solid back up...
Is Galloway still around ??? If so, well, there's another...

zulater
03-10-2010, 09:42 AM

Ditto that. :thumbsup:

zulater
03-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Throw in some Paul Ernster wristbands and we've got a deal. :chuckle:

supa_fly_steeler
03-10-2010, 10:09 AM
i wouldnt mind on long plays put wallace on the outside where Ward is, put Ward in the slot with Randle El and bomb it out to Wallace and Holmes...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2010, 11:14 AM
This is a silly thread. Ward is 34 years old and while he still has 3 more years on his contract....he may never see the end of it. El is here to work the slot on 3rd downs and return kicks, then possibly be Ward's successor as the #2 receiver.

Just welcome the guy back and understand that Wallace doesnt have his quickness and El doesnt have Wallace's deep speed. Who cares who is #3 or #4??

steelreserve
03-10-2010, 11:44 AM
So what if he thinks he's the #3 receiver. Coming from him, I take it more like "I'm going to compete as hard as I can" than "I'm going to bitch and moan like T.O. if they don't just hand me the job." I never really saw him as a diva.

Who really cares what any of our receivers did last year? You can't consider any of them so entrenched that they're untouchable. If Randle El comes in and actually does a better job than one of them -- not that I think that's terribly likely -- you bet your ass he should get the playing time.

What I really think this signing means is not that he's in the mix to "replace" one of our existing top three WRs, but that he'll get more playing time than the fourth WR used to in our offense. Part of that could be more 4-WR formations, but part of it will be subbing in more often for Ward, Holmes or Wallace. Either one is a lot more attractive option than it was when our fourth WR was Sweed.

kirklandrules
03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Aside from the offensive tackle we signed from Buffalo, I assumed the other signings were to bolster our special teams and provide backup. The saftey and WR we signed were known for their special teams play. ARE may be an upgrade on punt returns and fight for the #4 receiver spot. Too bad for Sweed because I think the talent was there and the Steelers could benefit from it, but he just didn't have his head in the game. We take these guys for granted, however, there are some kids who just had the tar beaten out of them or something similar that prevents them from acheiving success.

Oh, and I would say there is a big difference between the #3 and #4 receiver ... maybe about 10 snaps per game difference (Steelers don't use a ton of 4 wide because we have Miller as the 4th receiver). And I thought when Wallace entered the game he played outside and Ward moved to the slot ... so I'm confused why people think Wallace is not a good slot receiver ... didn't know he spent much time there.:noidea:

steelerdave1969
03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I think the Steelers would be nuts Not to Resign Holmes and I dont see them in any way of giving him up that easy. Ward's next contract will be from another team unless he retires a Steeler. I dont see them signing him to another contract. As far as Randel' El I think he knows what he is getting in to and knows that he is mainly gonna be special team returner and there in case an injury happens to one of our other top 3 WR's.

Steelboy84
03-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Number 4.

lionslicer
03-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Randel El is bearly a decent reciever, he still has a good amount of drops, Wallace will start over him, and I don't think he'll like that....

Venom
03-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Randel El seems to think hes our # 3 receiver , screw that , he could be our # 1 QB if Big Ben gets suspended for a few games !!!! :banging:

solardave
03-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Glad to see him back and I agree he should see himself in competition with Wallace. He deserves a shot even though he won't take away the job.

Prok
03-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Haven't read the whole thread yet... BUT.........

Has anybody used the "I'll have a #2 if Randle El is #3" line yet?

Because I'd really like to lay claim to that line.

:hatsoff:

plenewken
03-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I thought we already had enough guys cutting and zigzagging on the field instead of running straight and fast. Oh well ..............
Randle El thinks he'll take the #3 WR spot from Wallace?? You're out of your mind ARE. Not a chance in a million years.
He should be happy to get a #4 spot cause if it were up to me, I'd still consider Sweed for it.

steelpride12
03-11-2010, 09:58 AM
It's funny this thread is still going on all complaining which receiver ARE will be. 4th.

Dino 6 Rings
03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
This is a good problem to have, that's for sure.

Prok
03-12-2010, 05:21 PM
This is a good problem to have, that's for sure.

Yeah and truth be told there's no guarantee that Wallace keeps progressing like he has so far too. Ya know, the old sophomore slump thing and all.

But as i stated before IMO ya can never have enough play-makers on the field.

One potential problem I could possibly see arising is that with so many talented recievers (including Heath, Moore and Mendy), it could cause Ben (or God forbid another QB... F'n GULP) to over-think, so to speak. Or it could cause BA (again...GULP) to over-think with the play-calling and gameplanning.

But i think it helps us by having the depth at WR in case of injury.

Dodt
03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
oh well maybe he can teach sweed some things, like fetching him a gatorade.

stb_steeler
03-12-2010, 05:24 PM
What ever number receiver he'll be, you can bet they'll put him in at anytime of the game. Steelers have shuffled their receivers in and out no matter what rank they are.

Fire Haley
03-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't mind gettin El back.

He just better know when Plex gets out of prison he will be taking his job.

steeldawg
03-12-2010, 05:46 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AofFFJUjrLX2REprBDaBfr9DubYF?slug=ap-steelers-clark-randleel&prov=ap&type=lgns

Love ya, El and I'm glad to see you back in the B&G, and I do think you've made a great #3 on Steeler teams in the past and I think you could be an above average #3 even today on most teams; but Wallace is going to take you to school.

Oh i agree 100% love randle el but i want wallace as the 3

ETL
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Can't fault EL - who the heck comes in and says "I'm looking forward to being the #4 receiver"?

steeldawg
03-13-2010, 05:49 PM
ok forget randal el what the hell is with the arnaz battle signing?

Psyychoward86
03-13-2010, 05:54 PM
ok forget randal el what the hell is with the arnaz battle signing?

Special teams coverage/returnman, and wide receiver depth.