PDA

View Full Version : Toby Gerhart to Pittsburgh?

FrancoHarrisFan32
03-09-2010, 10:52 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers should draft Toby Gerhart out of Stanford this year. He is rated as a top 5 back in the 2010 NFL draft. He is 6-1 and 235 pounds. He would be a great complement to Rashard Mendenhall.

*EVEN IF HE IS 2ND ROUND PICK-UP

SteelerNation12
03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Rather have joe mcknight.

7willBheaven
03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
2nd round? No....3rd-5th? Maybe...depending who else is there.

Northside Jonny
03-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Would rather have Anthony Dixon of Mississippi State big beast of a RB 6'1" 233 LBS.
GTZ7J8FtKkM
He is experienced playing in 48 games and carried the ball 910 times not quite as fast as Gehart but IMO a more powerful runner. Oh yeah a 40 inch vertical for those goaline plays. He also has better hands than Gehart wich is becoming a necessity for backs in todays NFL. I also believe playing in the SEC Dixon has faced much tougher D's than Gehart.

jonslow
03-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Gerhart ran a 4.53 at the combine and had a terrific career at Stanford. That being said, I still think he'll be a 3-4th round pick and doesn't really fit what we should be looking for. Mendenhall is a bruiser and is great to shoulder the bulk of the carries this year, but if we take a RB in the draft, I want a complement to him. I want a guy that's going to serve as a third-down back with some speed. Moore has been a great third-down back, but I'd like to see us take a flyer on a guy with some quick feet as a change-of-pace back.

Northside Jonny
03-10-2010, 12:56 AM
I don't believe you can ever have to much muscle in a backfield.

jonslow
03-10-2010, 01:00 AM
I don't believe you can ever have to much muscle in a backfield.

And we have a lot of muscle considering the array of fullbacks we've had on the roster lately. Muscle is something we are not lacking. What we're now lacking as of this offseason is "Fast" Willie Parker. This would be a great time to replace him with another speedy back who can get outside the tackles and make things happen.

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2010, 01:28 AM
And we have a lot of muscle considering the array of fullbacks we've had on the roster lately. Muscle is something we are not lacking. What we're now lacking as of this offseason is "Fast" Willie Parker. This would be a great time to replace him with another speedy back who can get outside the tackles and make things happen.
i agree... people keep forgetting we added a 240 lb back last year named "the tank" .... i'd like to see him get a crack at carrying the rock before they waste another pick on a guy who arians will try to turn into another fullback.

taztroy43
03-10-2010, 01:30 AM

What about Joe McKnight or Ben Tate???

jonslow
03-10-2010, 02:31 AM
What about Joe McKnight or Ben Tate???

I love Ben Tate. He ran well at the combine (4.43-40) and if I had to pick a sleeper to be the best pro runningback in the future, I'm going with Tate. He's just one of those guys that continues to impress all the time. I'd be ecstatic if we snagged him in the 3rd or 4th. My only issue is with his receiving skills out of the backfield. He's shown he can be serviceable, but not an elite third-down back thus far. I'll be interested to see how he turns out.

Steeldude
03-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Mendenhall is a bruiser

if he is a bruiser he hasn't shown it yet.

why do so many knock moore? since he has been here is has been the most consistent RB when called on. he has shown he can be a clutch player. the steelers need to utilize him more often on 3rd down or passing situations like they did in 08/09.

supa_fly_steeler
03-10-2010, 11:26 AM
No thanks don't want Gerhart

supa_fly_steeler
03-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Would rather have Anthony Dixon of Mississippi State big beast of a RB 6'1" 233 LBS.
GTZ7J8FtKkM
He is experienced playing in 48 games and carried the ball 910 times not quite as fast as Gehart but IMO a more powerful runner. Oh yeah a 40 inch vertical for those goaline plays. He also has better hands than Gehart wich is becoming a necessity for backs in todays NFL. I also believe playing in the SEC Dixon has faced much tougher D's than Gehart.

lol they mention Tebow who even isn't in the game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Getting outside the tackles is not the M.O. in the NFL. Running east-west is strictly a college ploy that works with wide hashmarks. In the NFL you need to run North-South and at the most, "off tackle".

Mendenhall has the size, speed and quickness to run between the tackles and bounce things outside if he sees it. I think we need a complimentary back that can pick a hole and hit it for a solid gain. Lots of guys like that in this draft like Dixon, Tate, Blount, Bell, Gerhardt, Paschall, etc. Hopefully somebody that fits the bill is there in the 4th.

Northside Jonny
03-10-2010, 01:33 PM
lol they mention Tebow who even isn't in the game.

I wonder how many games were played last season where Tebow's name was mentioned yet his team was not on the field? LOL
Media= Tebow Boner

Vincent
03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I love Ben Tate. He ran well at the combine (4.43-40) and if I had to pick a sleeper to be the best pro runningback in the future, I'm going with Tate. He's just one of those guys that continues to impress all the time. I'd be ecstatic if we snagged him in the 3rd or 4th. My only issue is with his receiving skills out of the backfield. He's shown he can be serviceable, but not an elite third-down back thus far. I'll be interested to see how he turns out.

I like Tate too. Good size. Better speed. Great acceleration. Patient with blocks and bursts through them. Not afraid to ram into a stacked middle. Has the speed to really compliment Mendy on 3rd downs. I'd grab him in the 3rd.

Further, Tate would close the Redman chapter of Steelers history forever.

vrabinec
03-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Gerhart would be a great compliment to Mendy. I think he's a 2010 version of Larry Csonka. I'd love to have him. Just not with either of our first two picks, because I think we need a CB and a G more, and there are other backs (some of whom have been brought up) who would serve the same purpose. Maybe not with quite the pizzaz Gerhart brings, (he does have great vision and quick cuts for a big guy) but it's not like whoever we get to compliment Mendy is gonna get the ball 25 times a game anyway. We're looking for a short yardage guy who minght get 10 touches a game at most.

Psyychoward86
03-10-2010, 06:44 PM
if he is a bruiser he hasn't shown it yet.

why do so many knock moore? since he has been here is has been the most consistent RB when called on. he has shown he can be a clutch player. the steelers need to utilize him more often on 3rd down or passing situations like they did in 08/09.

lol no, not even in '08. That was one hella overrated campaign against a bunch of cupcake defenses (except for the giants, where he had one good run and barely did anything else the rest of the game). Moore isnt an RB that this team should be comfortable with if he becomes the #2 for us on the depth chart.

BKAnthem
03-12-2010, 09:12 PM
smh...were you watching Steeler games last year? RB was not the problem, or even something we lacked rounds 6 or 7? maybe.....2nd? Hell No!

SS43Polamalu
03-12-2010, 09:57 PM
smh...were you watching Steeler games last year? RB was not the problem, or even something we lacked rounds 6 or 7? maybe.....2nd? Hell No!

RB may not have been a problem but word from the top is we're gonna be running the ball much more and we'll need some speed and depth to go with Mendy, more so if Big Ben gets suspended. With DD at QB you can bet we'll be running the ball even more then we wanted, not saying DD is bad but it's just how it'll go. I say we look at someone like McKnight in the 3rd round, he's fast and would be a nice compliment to Mendy.

jollyrob68
03-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Toby Gerhart in the 2nd or 3rd or Anthony Dixon in the 5th. Toby G is our future mini bus.