PDA

View Full Version : Derek Anderson anyone?

ETL
03-09-2010, 11:17 PM
He sucked as a Brown Qb. No argument there but I always thought that in a different system with different receivers and a different locker room attitude, this guy could be good.

If he's willing to come cheap, I wouldn't mind him as insurance against Ben and his ongoing saga.

stillers4me
03-09-2010, 11:18 PM
And he thinks Browns fans are ruthless..........

7willBheaven
03-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Oh hell no....Anderson is a never was...Cleveland was smart dumping him. I'd take Dixon over him at this point...hell even Palko hahah.

ETL
03-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Why all the dixon love? Sure he can scramble and run but we need a passer. I don't trust Dixon as a passer yet

ETL
03-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Can you fault anyone for dissing Brown fans?

FrancoHarrisFan32
03-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Ya, I don't see Derek Anderson Coming here... If anything we will look into Jake Delhomme..

fansince'76
03-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Why all the dixon love? Sure he can scramble and run but we need a passer. I don't trust Dixon as a passer yet

I don't trust Anderson as a passer either.

OneForTheToe
03-09-2010, 11:28 PM

But you trust Derek Anderson? He had 1/2 of a good season once, and even then he had happy feet. No thanks.

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't trust Anderson as a passer either.

who does.

Prok
03-09-2010, 11:41 PM
WTF ??

This lead balloon somehow floated from another thread all the way to it's OWN thread ??

WTF ??

Merchant
03-09-2010, 11:53 PM
How come EVERY TIME someone gets released there's a thread about whether or not we might get them..

Why the hell would we need a bum like Anderson :S

Crow
03-09-2010, 11:58 PM
As a Browns fan...

...YES. _PLEASE_ sign him.

As DaBrowns41 wrote elsewhere...

Too bad [Anderson] couldn't lead a prolific offense against any team that was ranked 15th or higher defensively.

19 of his 29 TD's in 2007 came against teams that drafted (or would have had they not traded the pick) in the top 9 of the 2008 NFL Draft. Against teams that had a top 15 defense, he threw majority of his INT's, and then blew up in the 2nd half of 2007 helping us to NOT make the playoffs.

The Derek Anderson hate is quite warranted.

SteelGhost
03-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks...but NO thanks. :rofl:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
03-10-2010, 12:19 AM
go ahead do it!

start him against the Browns too!

I insist, really!

steelerdude15
03-10-2010, 02:04 AM
How about if everyone for once stopped all these dumb threads about getting a BB replacement, seriously. We have no clue what happened and he still hasn't been charged. People overreact too much. :nono:

mikegrimey
03-10-2010, 02:49 AM
Anderson? Really?

Come now, this is truly banter for ridiculousness sake right?

You'd think a Steelers fan, who had ample chances to see Anderson play once or twice a year for the last few seasons, would know better.

BlockMonsta
03-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Like everyone else, I dont know the story on Big Ben. But if something was to happen, DD is the man for the job IMO.

SteelerNation12
03-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Anderson is likely headed to Arizona, they need a QB with starting experience to go with the bust that is Leinart.

Galax Steeler
03-10-2010, 04:47 AM
I think I would rather bring in Jake Delhomme he would be much better then Anderson.

BritishSteel
03-10-2010, 04:59 AM
I'd sooner have Pamela Anderson.

Rick5895
03-10-2010, 05:16 AM
Anderson is NOT a starter and we have a pretty damn good back up in Dixon.

SteelerNation12
03-10-2010, 05:18 AM
We won't be bringing in another QB, unless Leftwich is let go IMO. He knows the system and played well when he was given the chance. Otherwise, no point. We have other things to be worrying about.

ETL
03-10-2010, 09:04 AM
No one wanted Kurt Warner after his stint with the Giants. People thought Farve was washed up after his Jets year. Pennington was done also after his Jets days - he would never lead another team to the playoffs.

There is a long history of QBs that have done well with a change of scenery. And during his good year, DA was very good. He's big and throws a tight pass.

I think it would be a disaster to go into this season with Dixon and a rookie as out backup QBs. Especially with as much as Ben gets hit.

Again, don't break the bank but to me he's a better option than delhomme, Leftwich or anyone else out there.

OneForTheToe
03-10-2010, 09:09 AM
No one wanted Kurt Warner after his stint with the Giants. People thought Farve was washed up after his Jets year. Pennington was done also after his Jets days - he would never lead another team to the playoffs.

There is a long history of QBs that have done well with a change of scenery. And during his good year, DA was very good. He's big and throws a tight pass.

I think it would be a disaster to go into this season with Dixon and a rookie as out backup QBs. Especially with as much as Ben gets hit.

Again, don't break the bank but to me he's a better option than delhomme, Leftwich or anyone else out there.

You are comparing two guys destined to the Hall of Fame (Ok, Warner might not be destined but he is in the discussion at least), both of whom have appeared in multiple Super Bowls, to a guy who had a 1/2 a season of success in the NFL. :noidea: Anderson has had no playoff wins let alone even sniffing the the Super Bowl. Pretty big stretch if you ask me.

I would take both delhomme (using your own logic about change of senery being good, after all he lead his team to a Super Bowl) or Leftwich, over Anderson any day of the week.

vrabinec
03-10-2010, 09:18 AM
How about if everyone for once stopped all these dumb threads about getting a BB replacement, seriously. We have no clue what happened and he still hasn't been charged. People overreact too much. :nono:

If he's charged, the Rooney's will have to act immediately. They don't have the luxury of waiting around to see whether he's gonna be convicted and sent to jail. IMO, they will try to trade him and fail, and then they'll release him (IF HE'S CHARGED). In that case, we have no choice but to start looking for competition for DD. I like Anderson better than any of the other QB's out there. He was in a crappy spot in Cleveland and would have more receivers than he's ever had, and the same lousy protection. Also, we would have to look at drafting a QB, which we were probably already going to to do replace Batch. And, with Ben gone, that would free up a ton of cap room for whatever the eventual cap will be when football resumes after this season, so we could do something radical for this team like trade away this year's first and next year's first to move up to get Bradford.

zulater
03-10-2010, 10:56 AM
If he's charged, the Rooney's will have to act immediately. They don't have the luxury of waiting around to see whether he's gonna be convicted and sent to jail. IMO, they will try to trade him and fail, and then they'll release him (IF HE'S CHARGED). In that case, we have no choice but to start looking for competition for DD. I like Anderson better than any of the other QB's out there. He was in a crappy spot in Cleveland and would have more receivers than he's ever had, and the same lousy protection. Also, we would have to look at drafting a QB, which we were probably already going to to do replace Batch. And, with Ben gone, that would free up a ton of cap room for whatever the eventual cap will be when football resumes after this season, so we could do something radical for this team like trade away this year's first and next year's first to move up to get Bradford.

No way will they release Ben before his case is decided. :dang:

They'll probably give him some form of paid leave of absense until after the charges are resolved.( if charges are levied) But unless Ben goes to the Rooney's and confesses to guilt in a private moment they wont give up his rights.

God could you imagine, the Steelers release Ben,' he's acquitted, the case against him is so weak the jury isn't even out 30 minutes in deciding. A week later Ben signs with the Browns, and here we trot out Derrick freaking Anderson! TheHorror! :doh:

Not gonna happen vrab. Be real. :hatsoff:

zulater
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Oh by the way, no freaking way to Derrick anderson. He had what, a good 5-6 week run 3 years ago, all against crappy teams. Again no thanks.

Shoes
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
I'd take Jeff Garcia over Anderson, & Delhomme

vrabinec
03-10-2010, 11:04 AM
No way will they release Ben before his case is decided. :dang:

They'll probably give him some form of paid leave of absense until after the charges are resolved.( if charges are levied) But unless Ben goes to the Rooney's and confesses to guilt in a private moment they wont give up his rights.

God could you imagine, the Steelers release Ben,' he's acquitted, the case against him is so weak the jury isn't even out 30 minutes in deciding. A week later Ben signs with the Browns, and here we trot out Derrick freaking Anderson! :Horror: :doh:

Not gonna happen vrab. Be real. :hatsoff:

If this was his first offense, I'd agree. You're thinking like a football fan, not a business man. Steeler fans aren't going anywhere, so cutting Ben won't cost the Rooney's their fan base. Sticking by him while the prosecution drags out the facts, and the coed gets up on the stand, breaks down and cries as she describes how the big, powerful wretch of a football player cornered her in the darnkness of the back room of the VIP section, and she realized that she was all alone and none of her friends could hear her, how she smelled the booze on the breath, saw the blurry lust in his eyes, and she was afraid, terrified, and then he grabbed her with those powerful hands (at this point the prosecution will produce the pictures from the hospital of the purple marks around her wrists, and they just happen to be the same size as Ben's hands, and she'll say through sobs of how he fondled her....tear filled eyes will drop...down there, while she struggled, etc....and you think the Rooneys will stick by Ben? Would you? I tell ya, if she's charged, if they have enough evidence to charge him, and they better have a mountain of it because they know he's gonna have the best guns a defendant can hire, then the Rooneys will have no choice IMO but to release hm or trade him if someone's willing to pick up that contract with the posibility that he might be going to jail for a long time.

zulater
03-10-2010, 11:15 AM
If this was his first offense, I'd agree. You're thinking like a football fan, not a business man.

It would be his first offense, no charges have been filed or are pending in Vegas. that's a civil case. I would imagine if Ben eventually extracts himslef from his current mess the Steelers will strongly suggest to Ben that he get busy putting that matter behind him. But regardless that's not a criminal matter, merely being charged in this case will not compell them to release Ben. It would be beyond stupid.

Now of course if he's convicted or even pleas down to an offense that isn't fiting for an NFL qb, then yeah they'll release him at that time. But there's no reason for them to act before the matter has been resolved legally.

Steeler fans aren't going anywhere, so cutting Ben won't cost the Rooney's their fan base. Sticking by him while the prosecution drags out the facts, and the coed gets up on the stand and breaks down and cries as she describes how thie big, poweful wretch of a football player cornered her in the darnkness of the back room of the VIP section, and she realized that she was all alone and none of her friends could hear her, who she smelled the booze on the breath, saw the blurry lust in his eyes, and she was afraid, terrified, and then he grabbed her with those powerful hands (at this point the prosecution will produce the pictures from the hospital of the purple marks around her wrists, and they just happen to be the same size as Ben's hands, and she'll say through sobs of how he fondled her while she struggled, etc....and you think the Rooneys will stick by Ben? Would you?

Maybe not, but what if it goes the other way? Say Ben's lawyer's break her down on the stand, and she admits that she and her boyfriend concocted a scheme to get rich quick.

Now you're the Steelers, you've already released him. what chances do you think you have of Ben forgiving and forgetting and saying sure I'll come back at my old contract? ( rolls eyes)

I tell ya, if she's charged, if they have enough evidence to charge him, and they better have a mountain of it because they know he's gonna have the guns a defendant can hire, then the Rooneys will have no choice IMO but to release hm or trade him if someone's willing to pick up that contract with the posibility that he might be going to jail for a long time.

He deserves his day in court before he's judged vrab. I'm not saying I'd expect an acquittal, but certainly wouldn't rule it out.

X-Terminator
03-10-2010, 11:16 AM
All of this, and Ben hasn't even been charged with anything.

What the hell is wrong with some of you people??? :doh:

zulater
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM

What's a message board for if not discussing topical matters?

Sure some are more of a stretch than others, but the ones that don't tickle your fancy, well you have the ability to ignore them and move on don't ya?

:coffee:

vrabinec
03-10-2010, 11:25 AM

What's wrong with us? We're anxiously awaiting to hear whether or not a guy we rooted for with all our might who brought us boundless joy will be charged with something we find abhorrent, and we're imagining scenarios from whatever the best case scenarior would be which everyone loves and there's little to talk about because it would just be waved away as "just a couple of bad days" to the worst case scenario which would have us haing to confess that we were rooting for and loved a rapist for six years. I wish they'd already make the charges or not so we knew what the hell we were dealing with.

Nadroj 20
03-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I am still going with the line of thinking that Big Ben will be our QB. If for some reason he is convicted of something and we need a new QB at this point im fine With DD taking over and running the show. I think he can do a pretty good job at it too. Derek Anderson had one good year and maybe he can go somewhere and have another good season or two but i dont think that is in Pittsburgh.

X-Terminator
03-10-2010, 01:00 PM
What's a message board for if not discussing topical matters?

Sure some are more of a stretch than others, but the ones that don't tickle your fancy, well you have the ability to ignore them and move on don't ya?

:coffee:

Putting aside the situation with Ben for a moment...someone actually wanting to bring in Derek friggin' Anderson for ANY reason does "tickle my fancy." To put it bluntly, you have to be out of your freaking mind to even suggest such a thing. Here's a guy who had a good HALF season, has been slightly worse than horrible ever since, and some feel the Steelers should look at him? I wouldn't hire him to be a waterboy or the guy who picks up the tee off the field after a kickoff.

What's wrong with us? We're anxiously awaiting to hear whether or not a guy we rooted for with all our might who brought us boundless joy will be charged with something we find abhorrent, and we're imagining scenarios from whatever the best case scenarior would be which everyone loves and there's little to talk about because it would just be waved away as "just a couple of bad days" to the worst case scenario which would have us haing to confess that we were rooting for and loved a rapist for six years. I wish they'd already make the charges or not so we knew what the hell we were dealing with.

Yeah, so why not just wait until we actually know something before we start throwing Ben under the bus, hmmm? It makes no sense right now to talk about this stuff when we don't even know what the hell he's been charged with.

steelreserve
03-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Maybe a mod should change the title of this thread to something more appropriate, like "Please flame me for 20 pages straight."

Nadroj 20
03-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Maybe a mod should change the title of this thread to something more appropriate, like "Please flame me for 20 pages straight."

:rofl: :rofl:

Northside Jonny
03-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Sorry I'll pass on Anderson not a good fit .

mulldog24
03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm not gonna discuss anything on BB until I know something concrete. However, as far as the Anderson thing I would not like to see this guy in a Steeler uni. I think IMHO that there are better options out there such as Leftwitch, Garcia, or even J. Campbell. Campbell would be expensive but IMO he would be a QB that just needs stability in a system where he can grow. This would allow DD to grow as well into a good starting QB.

scsteeler
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Why all the love for Dixon? Why not and what has he done that would not warrant giving Dixon a shot to show his skills. What reason do you think he is not a passer? If I remember correctly Ben doe not consider himself (quote a Passer) either and you can quote Him on that. Lets trust the Coaching staff to that Dennis can do fine if needed.

Of course after all this mess with Ben is over then these discussions will be a mute point anyway.

Indo
03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Oooo! I Know!

We convince Brett Fav-ra to Re-retire, then Unretire to wear the Black and Gold!

welder4pit
03-10-2010, 03:07 PM
And he thinks Browns fans are ruthless..........

LMAO. You gotta point

vrabinec
03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Putting aside the situation with Ben for a moment...someone actually wanting to bring in Derek friggin' Anderson for ANY reason does "tickle my fancy." To put it bluntly, you have to be out of your freaking mind to even suggest such a thing. Here's a guy who had a good HALF season, has been slightly worse than horrible ever since, and some feel the Steelers should look at him? I wouldn't hire him to be a waterboy or the guy who picks up the tee off the field after a kickoff.

Yeah, so why not just wait until we actually know something before we start throwing Ben under the bus, hmmm? It makes no sense right now to talk about this stuff when we don't even know what the hell he's been charged with.

lmao! If it bothers you, you can ignore the thread. But wondering why people won't stop talking about the franchise QB's legal issues is a little like standing in a stream with your hands out and wondering why you can't stop the water.

Psyychoward86
03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
This thread reeks of fail