PDA

View Full Version : LC wont be a HOF..BULL%&#@

steeler47
02-04-2006, 02:45 PM
So I'm I right in saying this was LC's last chance on the ballot.
John Madden makes it but LC dosnt...give me a break.:rolleyes:

Koopa
02-04-2006, 02:48 PM
what's gay is irvin doesn't make it. **** the voters i hope they all die in their sleep ok well not really, but basing shit off their off the field problems is wrong, it should be based on what they do on it

DJfan
02-04-2006, 04:08 PM
This is just wrong.

Mosca
02-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Read Paul Zimmerman's article about the HOF voting at Sports Illustrated Online (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/02/04/hof.qa/index.html). He makes the point that 1) this was probably the strongest HOF class ever, and 2) LC seems to keep coming up against Claude Humphries, and they both deserve it but they keep splitting the vote. He feels that Irvin, Greenwood, and Humphries all deserve to be in the HOF and all eventually will get in.

Tom

Tha rock
02-04-2006, 06:13 PM
madden needed to be in!! along with cliff branch ,jim plunkitt, jack tatum, george atkinson, tom flores and tim brown!!

Mosca
02-04-2006, 06:36 PM
madden needed to be in!! along with cliff branch ,jim plunkitt, jack tatum, george atkinson, tom flores and tim brown!!

Branch yes, Atkinson yes, Tim Brown yes. Plunkett, eh. Flores, eh.

Tatum, I dunno. That "assassin" label that he picked for himself has really cheapened the way people remember one hell of a hard hitting player. I also think that there is an unspoken shunning for the Darryl Stingley incident.

Taking it purely on the numbers and what I remember on the field, I'd put him in. 3 Pro Bowls, longest fumble return in NFL history, 37 interceptions, 9 fumble recoveries, and a lot of guys who wouldn't go over the middle the same way they did against other teams.

Now we might be able to say something about anti-Raiders bias...

I don't know if you know it, but during the '70s the Raiders were most Steelers fans' second favorite team. They were the second most hated (the Cowboys will ALWAYS be the most hated and least respected), and at the same time the second most liked. I loved watching the Raiders. BAM! CRASH! SMASH! It was great. Steelers West.

Tom

Tha rock
02-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Branch yes, Atkinson yes, Tim Brown yes. Plunkett, eh. Flores, eh.

Tatum, I dunno. That "assassin" label that he picked for himself has really cheapened the way people remember one hell of a hard hitting player. I also think that there is an unspoken shunning for the Darryl Stingley incident.

Taking it purely on the numbers and what I remember on the field, I'd put him in. 3 Pro Bowls, longest fumble return in NFL history, 37 interceptions, 9 fumble recoveries, and a lot of guys who wouldn't go over the middle the same way they did against other teams.

Now we might be able to say something about anti-Raiders bias...

I don't know if you know it, but during the '70s the Raiders were most Steelers fans' second favorite team. They were the second most hated (the Cowboys will ALWAYS be the most hated and least respected), and at the same time the second most liked. I loved watching the Raiders. BAM! CRASH! SMASH! It was great. Steelers West.

Tom

im lovin it plunk has wo rings branch should be there and tatum is the best there will be as a safety to me flores won two sbs 11 post season trips an stabler one of the best ever come on the raiders are hated thats why we cant get guys in??

Mosca
02-04-2006, 07:57 PM
im lovin it plunk has wo rings branch should be there and tatum is the best there will be as a safety to me flores won two sbs 11 post season trips an stabler one of the best ever come on the raiders are hated thats why we cant get guys in??

LOL, if the Raiders love being hated so much, why would they care about mainstream acceptance? It's like Blackbeard crying because he isn't in the Maritime HOF!

Youse guys had some great players, some of the best. I'd pick Stabler over Plunkett... Plunkett has 2 rings, but he was well on his way to being a never-was when the Raiders picked him up. 164 TDs, 198 INT/ career completion pct barely over 50%. He just doesn't have the career scratch to make it in, IMO. Maybe if Plunkett had played his whole career as a Raider he'd have it, but he didn't, so he doesn't.

Flores coached for 12 years and had 4 good seasons (not counting the strike year). His last 5 years he went 8-8, 5-10, 2-14, 6-10, 6-10. That's OK, but not HOF stuff... IMO, of course. If he was a HOF coach he'd have turned that crappy Seahawks team around.

But it's all opinion. I agree with you 100% on 3 of them, agree with you on Tatum but don't think he's going to make it for other reasons, and I think the other two guys are good but not good enough to go HOF. That's not bad for two guys of different loyalties from opposite ends of the country argueing over the internet!

Take it easy, enjoy the game man,

Tom

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2006, 08:11 PM
If anybody should be in there it's Dermonti Dawson. Hopefully in the future. Get him and Rod in there before all is said and done.

Tha rock
02-04-2006, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Mosca]LOL, if the Raiders love being hated so much, why would they care about mainstream acceptance? It's like Blackbeard crying because he isn't in the Maritime HOF!

Youse guys had some great players, some of the best. I'd pick Stabler over Plunkett... Plunkett has 2 rings, but he was well on his way to being a never-was when the Raiders picked him up. 164 TDs, 198 INT/ career completion pct barely over 50%. He just doesn't have the career scratch to make it in, IMO. Maybe if Plunkett had played his whole career as a Raider he'd have it, but he didn't, so he doesn't.

Flores coached for 12 years and had 4 good seasons (not counting the strike year). His last 5 years he went 8-8, 5-10, 2-14, 6-10, 6-10. That's OK, but not HOF stuff... IMO, of course. If he was a HOF coach he'd have turned that crappy Seahawks team around.

But it's all opinion. I agree with you 100% on 3 of them, agree with you on Tatum but don't think he's going to make it for other reasons, and I think the other two guys are good but not good enough to go HOF. That's not bad for two guys of different loyalties from opposite ends of the country argueing over the internet!

Take it easy, enjoy the game man,

as long as i see some of those who i named get in its all good!! I wish phil villapiano would get in to and matuzak!!

Large_Ant
02-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm drawing a blank. What does L.C. stand for?

Mosca
02-05-2006, 09:56 AM
LC Greenwood.

A REALLY tough call is when a defensive or offensive side as a unit is so strong and stays together so long that the lines are blurred as to who was really great, and who was great because some other guy was double or triple teamed. I remember thinking at the time that JT Thomas and Mike Wagner were possible all-pros.

LC Greenwood might have actually had a better career on a different team where the difference between him and the rest of the guys was more obvious. he was a phenomenal player, so good that teams couldn't double up on Greene. Each one made the other better.

Tom

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Here's what LC says about it:

Three quarters of the "Curtain" warmly reminisced about wearing Riddell suspension helmets for a major portion of their playing days (Joe Green, trying to keep a straight face, contended that he was much too young to wear that vintage helmet). Ernie Holmes revealed to us that he kept an elbow pad in the top of this suspension helmet to protect him from "getting his bell rung." When we asked Mr. Greenwood what "LC" stood for he responded just "LC." He added that he has always done fine with his real birth name being "LC" but others just do not want to accept that as fact. He has actually had problems making plane reservations in the past because they would not accept just "LC" for a first name on a reservation. Exasperated, he would finally tell them "You can make up any name you want for me but the first name on my birth certificate is "LC!"

clevestinks
02-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Maybe he is one of those borderline guys, that just doesn`t deserve it?????
I`m biased, I beleive he does deserve the HOF. BUT he played on a great, great team, maybe the thinking is, how many guys from one defense can you put in the Hall???

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2006, 10:12 AM
I`m biased, I beleive he does deserve the HOF. BUT he played on a great, great team, maybe the thinking is, how many guys from one defense can you put in the Hall???

Considering they are arguably the greatest defense of All-Time, I'd say you could induct more Steelers. Greenwood definately deserves to get in. I also believe that Donnie Shell should too. A case could also possibly be made for Andy Russell. White and Holmes were better than most, but Greene and Greenwood always overshadowed them.

clevestinks
02-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Considering they are arguably the greatest defense of All-Time, I'd say you could induct more Steelers. Greenwood definately deserves to get in. I also believe that Donnie Shell should too. A case could also possibly be made for Andy Russell. White and Holmes were better than most, but Greene and Greenwood always overshadowed them.
I totally agree, and Shell is more than deserving. Also I think Holmes was the most under rated player on our defense! My point only is towards all the voters in general. And the longer we wait the more they forget!

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2006, 10:32 AM
what I hate about this, is that it seems like a popularity contest. Rayfield Wright? What makes him more deserving than LC Greenwood? Because he played in Dallas? LC has more SB VICTORIES than Wright. Must be all the bitches cryin paid off.

clevestinks
02-05-2006, 10:36 AM
what I hate about this, is that it seems like a popularity contest. Rayfield Wright? What makes him more deserving than LC Greenwood? Because he played in Dallas? LC has more SB VICTORIES than Wright. Must be all the bitches cryin paid off.
That I do agree with also! Wright actually got his as$ kicked by Greenwood twice in Super Bowls!

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2006, 10:39 AM
All I keep seeing about Wright is that he played in FIVE SB's. Big deal when you lose THREE of them.

silver & black
02-05-2006, 10:50 AM
So I'm I right in saying this was LC's last chance on the ballot.
John Madden makes it but LC dosnt...give me a break.:rolleyes:
I agree that LC Greenwood deserves to be in the HOF but, are you saying that Madden shouldn't have gotten in? Madden has a record of 103-32-7... that's a 75% win record!

Madden has waited a long time to get in... he deserves to be there.

silver & black
02-05-2006, 10:59 AM
In my opinion, just about all of them. We will never see the likes of that defense again. Salary cap and Free Agency killed that.

steeler47
02-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I think this was LC's last chance.Your only on the ballot so many times..and his are up.This was the last one I think.:dang:

Prosdo
02-05-2006, 11:05 AM
I think it was as well.

Mosca
02-05-2006, 11:53 AM
LC'll start getting old-timers nominations now. He'll eventually make it, I think.

Ernie Holmes isn't HOF. He only played a few years and was only at the top of his game for 2 or 3 of them. Shell was great, but was he really HOF great? If you put Shell in, do you put Kolb in? How much of Shell's career can be attributed to playing alongside of Ham, Lambert, Blount, Greene, Greenwood, and White?

Maybe yes, maybe no. But if you put Shell in, you have to put Tatum in too. And it's worth noting that Shell doesn't get nominated.

Tom

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2006, 11:56 AM
LC'll start getting old-timers nominations now. He'll eventually make it, I think.

Ernie Holmes isn't HOF. He only played a few years and was only at the top of his game for 2 or 3 of them. Shell was great, but was he really HOF great? If you put Shell in, do you put Kolb in? How much of Shell's career can be attributed to playing alongside of Ham, Lambert, Blount, Greene, Greenwood, and White?

Maybe yes, maybe no. But if you put Shell in, you have to put Tatum in too. And it's worth noting that Shell doesn't get nominated.

Tom

How much of the success of Lambert, Ham is attributed b/c of the front four? The Steelers of the 70's were a great TEAM. They had a multitude of great players.

Polamalus_Angel
02-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Yea the voters are tools. I think Madden deserves to be in also though. I also think Art Monk should have made it this time. I mean come on the guy is like 2nd or 3rd in receiving yards all time.

noto45
02-05-2006, 01:30 PM
hey is Carson doesnt want it I am sure LC would take it

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2320251