PDA

View Full Version : In all honesty, its all about the teammates, Ben

tony hipchest
03-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Band of Brothers

i am reminded of the scene from Remember the Titans (the scene that i think was the crux of the movie) where bertier is chewing out julius for his poor attitude.

julius response was "attitude reflects leadership".

can anyone imagine troy polamalu (the man who crosses himself after every play and asks his coach for a day off of practice before the superbowl so him and his wife and make an exodus to go worship at a greek orthodox church) giving ben "high fives" for the piece of ass he nailed at a bar the night before?

would aaron smith be envious of bens escapades, after an evening with his wife and son elijah?

does hines ward have to answer to questions from interracial children about bens troubles when he visits sout korea?

antwaan randel el was brought back to the team. this is the same player who wouldnt attend the opening of hines bar/restraunt, because he doesnt drink or hang out at such establishments.

can anyone imagine james harrison having a smile or being proud when he heard of bens recent indescretions? hell, even when he was accused of bitchslapping his baby momma, it was at his own home and over baptizing his child (not that that is any excuse).

even jerome (who was accused of the same thing as ben) served as a mentor and older brother type figure.

ben received a HUGE contract to be the leader of the steelers. what about the likes of hampton, clark, harrison, ward, and even his best friend keisel who took lower than market value deals/extensions to remain a steeler?

what about young rookie mendenhall, whose hobbies include dancing and writing poetry? sure he was jacked for his watch, but it wasnt at some nightclub, it was on a lakeside walk with an actual date with a woman (kinda what normal people do).

even weed smoking, bitchslappin', jaywalkin', santonio holmes was in the hotel with his kids playing video games on the night he won the SB MVP trophy, as opposed to attending some red carpet, VIP, cristal showered club appearance.

the only thing we hear from ike taylor is how he invites fellow teammates to orlando to work out, and takes young players like madison under his wing.

lil wayne aka bill gay even seems like a choir boy.

i bet heath miller has never swatted at a fly or stepped on a bug.

is it any suprise ben has bonded with his offensive linemen? he takes them out to clubs, and to MNF raw wrasslin appearances.

after all, they are paid to protect him. and he is paid to lead them (along with all others).

the biggest difference between the 08 and 09 season i saw (other than the obvious loss of troy and smith) was that "band of brothers" attitude.

with the teams leader supposedly raping chicks, i can see where that cohesiveness may have been lost.

while i enjoy joking about the situation, it is definitely time for ben to get his act straight. 52 people +all steelernation depend on it.

party is over, ben. time to ask yourself, WWDBD? (what would drew brees do).

Rick5895
03-10-2010, 04:28 AM
Great Post, Tony, this whole situation right now is not about guilt or innocent ( I am sure Ben is innocent of any criminal charge) It is about the very flawed character of our QB.

SteelerNation12
03-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Big Ben is a solid QB. But his off the field antics have gotten old. Ever since wrecking his motorcycle it has been down hill. I don't care if he raped her or not, he should have known better from the last experience. You can say all you want about him being a regular human and deserving a life outside of football, and he does. But he has to learn to be a better role model and teammate. Bar hopping with college girls is immature and not professional at all. Even if not convicted, he needs a reality check.

pete74
03-10-2010, 04:44 AM
that was a really good post and 100% true in my mind

HAWK
03-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Agreed. Unfortunately, that is not the status quo anywhere in pro sports.

Big D
03-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I agree as well. 100 million dollar franchise qb has to put himself in better situations. I know he's young and rich. But you are constantly in the court of public opinion

beer72
03-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks finally a post that makes sense....Thank You so much!

supa_fly_steeler
03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
drew brees would smack that booty but so would i... the difference is brees actually gets laid with legitametly hot women and his wife was probably prime back when she was in her early 20's....

..... lil wayne aka bill gay even seems like a choir boy.

???????

KhBLqQw9Sxk

Shoes
03-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Good one Tony :thumbsup:

Indo
03-10-2010, 04:17 PM
T,

I do believe that this one tops your other one about Bu...Bu...Bush for your Best Post Ever!

In all seriousness, I agree completely. It's all about Integrity and Character.
and yes, Brees is a Class Act as is, as someone pointed out in another post, Sidney Crosby. Ben needs to watch some tape of them and how they handle their personal lives.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Yup, just a band of brothers. Remember, there is no I in team, but there is in ......hoochie.

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/roethlisberger2.jpg

steelreserve
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
While this makes sense, we all thought the same thing after Ben's first wake-up call, and his second. Following the example of Polamalu or Ward? Nice thought, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I think it's more likely he'll spend his Friday nights hanging out with the kicker getting drunk and pissing on things. Maybe next year we'll hear about him raping an electric hot-air hand drying machine. Which, sadly, would be an improvement over the woman in Nevada.

Best thing about this situation is that I don't really get the impression that Ben ever was "The Leader" in more than a superficial sense. All those guys you named -- Ward, Polamalu, Smith, etc., are types of leaders in their own right, and that's what's going to keep things stable. Oh well. It'd be nice if the QB was a little more responsible, but I guess not everyone on the team can be.

Psyychoward86
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
attababy tony...

I think one of the reason's for Ben's indecisiveness (whether he is innocent or guilty) is because he's taking that $108 million dollar contract for granted. When you have the biggest contract in franchise history, you KNOW you're the man. You're on top of the doggone world. I think no matter what happens, we need to give Ben something than just a slap on the wrist for this whole mess. I think a temporary suspension is necessary to straighten him up and get his act together.

HAWK
03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Or the Rooneys need to sit down and tell him if he screws up again they will have him killed. Or at least something to that effect.

steelreserve
03-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Or the Rooneys need to sit down and tell him if he screws up again they will have him killed. Or at least something to that effect.

no way they would do that, rooneys are too cheap to have him killed

Psyychoward86
03-10-2010, 08:13 PM
no way they would do that, rooneys are too cheap to have him killed

There are moments where you say "lol" and moments where you actually do "lol"

this is one of them XD

Prok
03-10-2010, 08:17 PM
There are moments where you say "lol" and moments where you actually do "lol"

this is one of them XD

Ha agree it was a good one.

Good post tony.

The further along this story gets, the more ppl seem to point the finger at Ben. This is worst case scenario IMO.

As I said elsewhere, ya can pretty much guarantee charges are headed Ben's way by the looks of things.

KYsteelfan
03-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Great post Tony. I couldnt agree more. This is about being classy and having some integrity. Especially when your team is the Steelers, who traditionally are one of the classiest franchises. Whether he likes it or not, he is one of the biggest faces of this franchise, and stupid things like this embarrass the team, the FO, and worst of all all of steeler nation. I know that he is entitled to his personal life, but you have to conduct yourself more carefully Ben.

Im beginning to think that, regardless of charges, the FO should suspend him a few games and see if the can get the point across. who knows what will happen though. all we can do is hope for the best and hope he learns this time.

Vincent
03-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Well said Tony. Bedrock reality. Ben is a poser that is sullying the relationship those other 52 guys put their swords on the table for.

Suggs would take that contract "pro bono".

And I read in another thread that the Rooneys did sit his ass down today for a "chat".

SteelGhost
03-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Great read Tony :applaudit: :hatsoff:

I expect Ben to get his act together and do what all real pro sports celebrities should (stay out of trouble and be an example for kids)

tony hipchest
03-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Great post Tony. I couldnt agree more. This is about being classy and having some integrity. Especially when your team is the Steelers, who traditionally are one of the classiest franchises. Whether he likes it or not, he is one of the biggest faces of this franchise, and stupid things like this embarrass the team, the FO, and worst of all all of steeler nation. I know that he is entitled to his personal life, but you have to conduct yourself more carefully Ben.

Im beginning to think that, regardless of charges, the FO should suspend him a few games and see if the can get the point across. who knows what will happen though. all we can do is hope for the best and hope he learns this time.

well heres the thing... i could really care less if ben has class. him being a modern day joe namath or wilt chamberlain doesnt bug me in the least.

i dont think he should be suspended and do not think he raped or assaulted anyone. i am not ready to condemn him or judge him, as i think people should be free to live their own lives. hell, im not even embarrassed, or worried about what other fans may thin.

but its not about me. and thats what ben needs to realize is that its not all about him. i do feel he should be embarrassed.

i think ive come to the conclusion that i would probably feel a bit different if he were one of my teammates and the supposed leader.

if he has strayed from the pack, i hope some are willing to pull him back in, cause i fear he may be close to losing his team, especially considering they are human too and must be feeling the same way alot of fans are.

nikstar
03-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Bens accusations last year seemed to fly under the radar, shadowed by the fact that the steelers weren't doing the best.

Everyone forgets that these allegations are from a 2008 incident from what I saw reported. Also, since tiger it seems everyone is quick to assume guilty, even though incidents like last year where the charge is dropped and the prosecution is made to apologize seem to happen all the time.

stlrtruck
03-11-2010, 07:41 AM
well heres the thing... i could really care less if ben has class. him being a modern day joe namath or wilt chamberlain doesnt bug me in the least.

i dont think he should be suspended and do not think he raped or assaulted anyone. i am not ready to condemn him or judge him, as i think people should be free to live their own lives. hell, im not even embarrassed, or worried about what other fans may thin.

but its not about me. and thats what ben needs to realize is that its not all about him. i do feel he should be embarrassed.

i think ive come to the conclusion that i would probably feel a bit different if he were one of my teammates and the supposed leader.

if he has strayed from the pack, i hope some are willing to pull him back in, cause i fear he may be close to losing his team, especially considering they are human too and must be feeling the same way alot of fans are.

I don't care if he has sex with 300,000 women in his life time. My concern is the image he brings to the Steelers organization (and that includes us fans - the ones that buy the seats, the jerseys, etc).

What Ben needs to do is keep is personal life, personal and stop living out in the open where some "average" living women with great looks (and some obviously not so great) will do whatever it takes to get some of his money.

vrabinec
03-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Well said Tony. Bedrock reality. Ben is a poser that is sullying the relationship those other 52 guys put their swords on the table for.

Suggs would take that contract "pro bono".

And I read in another thread that the Rooneys did sit his ass down today for a "chat".

The old man is still over in Ireland, so he wasn't there. Wouldn't it be special if he had to cut State's business short just to fly back here and deal with this? :doh:

KYsteelfan
03-11-2010, 10:30 AM

that is worrisome. i hope that they dont start turning on him in any way. the last thing we need is a rift in the locker room

Steelers17
03-11-2010, 11:19 AM
I agree as well. 100 million dollar franchise qb has to put himself in better situations. I know he's young and rich. But you are constantly in the court of public opinion

The court of public opinion is the least of his problems. More likely than not he will find himself as a defendant in a captioned case, “State of Georgia vs. Roethlisberger”. If so, few words become more on point than a sobering and chilling ultimate life experience awaits him!

Prok
03-11-2010, 11:51 AM

That's fine and dandy Tony but you know damn well the standards for THIS organization and fanbase are much different from most others.

This has to be very difficult and trying times for the Rooney family, to say the least.

I've got some genuine fear of losing our franchise QB over all this.

SteelCityMom
03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
That's fine and dandy Tony but you know damn well the standards for THIS organization and fanbase are much different from most others.

This has to be very difficult and trying times for the Rooney family, to say the least.

I've got some genuine fear of losing our franchise QB over all this.

Oh he's not going anywhere unless he's tried and convicted of a felony. And yes, I'm sure the Rooney's are very upset about this, what owner wouldn't be ya know.

Let's not pretend though that this organization holds itself to the highest standards at all times when it comes to the players. The only person in recent times to be released after a run in with the law was Wilson after he punched his ex in the face in a bar full of people, and it wasn't like that was a huge loss to the team...he may have even been gone w/o that happening. You think if Ward punched a chick in the face he'd be cut? Think again.

I know that Holmes seems to have done a lot to turn his rep around to being a family man, but lets not forget that shortly after he was drafted he had two run ins with the law, one being a charge (that was later dropped by his kids mother, but he's never denied it happened) of domestic abuse. Same with Harrison, who freely admits to slapping his childs mother. Along with Holmes' whole pot debacle the season before last, there's plenty of other players who have had one or more run ins with the law that are still around.

fansince'76
03-11-2010, 12:34 PM
The old man is still over in Ireland, so he wasn't there. Wouldn't it be special if he had to cut State's business short just to fly back here and deal with this? :doh:

What does the U.S. Ambassador to Ireland do, anyway? Besides attend funerals and dinner parties, that is? :noidea:

OneForTheToe
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
What does the U.S. Ambassador to Ireland do, anyway? Besides attend funerals and dinner parties, that is? :noidea:

Guiness happy hours with the Queen of England.:noidea:

Prok
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM

I had always thought that it was sort of a designated driver type role, myself. Ya know, the Irish reputation needs kept intact ??

:drink: