PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Limas Sweed asks for trade, Larry Foote expec

mesaSteeler
03-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Limas Sweed asks for trade, Larry Foote expects big payday
March 10, 6:02 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d10-Pittsburgh-Steelers-freeagency-digest-Limas-Sweed-asks-for-trade-Larry-Foote-expects-big-payday

With seven receivers on the Steelers roster, Limas Sweed has asked the team to let him go.
AP FILE PHOTO

PITTSBURGH - You knew this one was coming. A day after the Steelers signed both Arnaz Battle and Antwan Randel El, the days of Limas Sweed were nearing an end.

Although there is no official word out of the UPMC training complex, a league source confirmed rumors that Sweed has indeed asked Steeler officials to be released or traded by the team.

The same source told Examiner.com that the Larry Foote saga continues, as the team would still like to have him back. The twist? Not only is he visiting Arizona today, but according toJason La Canfora's latest blog, Foote now wants a contract similar to the one that former New Orleans Saint Scott Fujita just signed with the Browns.

ESPN 970's The Sports Report out of Ashtabula, Ohio reported that deal to be a three year deal worth $14 million, something the Steelers would not offer to a player who would be a depth player.

As for the Steelers current free-agents, Nick Eason visited Pittsburgh West on Tuesday, but was no tendered a deal.

Willie Parker visited the Redskins and left without a contract. He was scheduled to visit the Chiefs on Thursday, but late Tuesday Kansas City announced they had signed former Jet Thomas Jones to a two year $5 million dollar deal.

Ironically, Pittsburgh West continues to woo former members of the black and gold to the desert and if former Steeler assistant Ken Whisenhut can pull it off, the Cardinals could have an entire former Steeler linebacking corp.

Both Joey Porter and Foote are expected to make a visit sometime today and if they both sign, they would rejoin former Steeler Clark Haggans.

Steeler News:

* Back in Black - El, who signed a three year deal worth seven million along with a $900,000 signing bonus, told media he signed with the Steelers because he was comfortable coming home. "I totally enjoyed playing before here and I know I will enjoy it now." El said. He also said he had spoken with both Casey Hampton and Hines Ward about a possible return and that they were happy.

* Great Scott - Tackle Jonathan Scott's contract also wont break the bank, as he signed a one year deal worth $540,000.

*Roethlisberger update- The girl who has accused Steeler's Ben Roethlisberger has withdrawn from college, and pretty much gone into a recluse state. An interesing sidenote, sources close to the situation have said that if Roehlisberger were to be charged in the matter, he could face anywhere from 18 months to four years in prison. As of now, the only charges are the fact he is guilty of poor judgement.

madtowndrunkard
03-10-2010, 07:03 AM
These are moves of team that believes it is a SB contender. These are moves of desperation. Certain people know if they have another season like last year they will be out of a job.

Fire Haley
03-10-2010, 08:02 AM
How bad does The Whiz hate the Steelers?

As if dealing Boldin to the rats wasn't enough.

Both Joey Porter and Foote are expected to make a visit sometime today and if they both sign, they would rejoin former Steeler Clark Haggans.

Talk about reliving the past - maybe Cowher should go there too and demote him to assistant coach.

supa_fly_steeler
03-10-2010, 08:06 AM
These are moves of team that believes it is a SB contender. These are moves of desperation. Certain people know if they have another season like last year they will be out of a job.

signing randle el is not a move of desperation? we now have the best wide reciever corps in the league. If one receiver goes down we now have another one there that is there for us.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-10-2010, 08:28 AM
I like Joey and Clark and Larry and if they all end up in the desert then so be it. Funny but I think Phoenix is a retirement community after all so they can look for some nice places to all settle down in.

As for the signings they are very interesting to say the least and I like it a lot that ARE is baaack.

Steeldude
03-10-2010, 09:15 AM
arizona won't even make the playoffs next year without warner. adding 3 average to below average LBs doesn't help their team.

Dino 6 Rings
03-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I wonder if El can still throw a pass? Or return punts?

zulater
03-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Maybe Whiz aka Pittsburgh west, would give us a 4th for Limas? :tap:

zulater
03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I wonder if El can still throw a pass? Or return punts?

I watched him a few games with the Skins last year, he's awful returning punts anymore. Mr. faircatch.

steelballs
03-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I watched him a few games with the Skins last year, he's awful returning punts anymore. Mr. faircatch.

Mr. East / West returner. Run 50 yards east and west but only pick up 5 yards net.

I don't see ARE taking Stefan Logan's responsibilities over by any means, but if he does share in the return responsibilities, he better learn to run north and south.

I see ARE competing with several players for the 3rd receiver slot, but I don't see him surpassing Mike Wallace if he stays healthy. ARE is the gadget man and I expect to see the same application with him returning.

steelreserve
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Foote now wants a contract similar to the one that former New Orleans Saint Scott Fujita just signed with the Browns.

ESPN 970's The Sports Report out of Ashtabula, Ohio reported that deal to be a three year deal worth $14 million, something the Steelers would not offer to a player who would be a depth player.

He wants a big contract? Based on what? Having a shitty year for the Lions?

okaaaaay...

steelerdave1969
03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I say No to Both these players. Its time to move on to bigger and better things.

wootawnee
03-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I say Bring Back Foote....He is the talking guru out there on the field........His locker room presence was huge.........He is Black and Gold inside and out....It took him a season in blue n silver to find that out..........Sometimes we gotta go see want we want in life, and the only way is on the road........El found out....

Sign him up Arty........I love the reunion team.....

Psyychoward86
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Id be thrilled if we even get a 6th/7th round pick off of Sweed. As for Foote, completely unecessary to pay a 6th quality linebacker a big contract like Fujita's when he's only going to be playing part-time/as a backup

ricksteelers55
03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Maybe Whiz aka Pittsburgh west, would give us a 4th for Limas? :tap:

Nah forget it...Sweed never played for Whiz....his fun is to sign players that were there when he was there too

steeltheone
03-11-2010, 01:28 AM
arizona won't even make the playoffs next year without warner. adding 3 average to below average LBs doesn't help their team.

Pittsburgh wont make the playoffs without BR7...

pepsyman1
03-11-2010, 01:48 AM
I have no problem with Whiz for trying to land players he knows and is comfortable with. What would YOU do if you were him? Ever leave a company for a new job and then when you were comfortable try to recruit friends from your old job? Why do we do that?..Simple, we've worked with those people and we know exactly what they're about and what they can do. If I had worked for the Steelers and then made the head coach somewhere else you can bet your damn ass that I'd try to get every quality player I could from my former team. It's not like he was an assistant on the Lions! LOL

SteelerNation12
03-11-2010, 01:58 AM
No thanks to Foote. And wait, Sweed asked for a trade? LOL. I'm sure he didn't need to ask for one.

Galax Steeler
03-11-2010, 03:30 AM
It would be nice to find someone that would give us a 6th round pick for Sweed. I don't think anyone would be that stupid but you never know. As for Foote I would not mind seeing him come back to add depth at the linebacker position. If we draft Spoon then we would not have to worry about him.

BlockMonsta
03-11-2010, 04:14 AM
I still dont feel like Sweed is a bust, hope he can do well (as in catching) this season.