PDA

View Full Version : If we take OL in RD 1, he better be a freaking stud

Steel_Bus_24
03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
who can start day 1 and make an impact.......none of this learn the system stuff for 1-3 years

Theres too many good Defensive players particularly in the secondary to not grab one to ease the transition into the new decade

BKAnthem
03-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm pissed we're in this position when there was such an O Line deep draft last year....and we, trade our second round pick, take 2 corners who can't get on the field, a TE we don't need, and some dude named Urbick who got beat out by a free agent....

wdsteel
03-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Mike Iupati-Idaho and Maurkice Pouncey can start right away and will be an upgrade both at RG..Iupati could push Starks or whoever starts at RT.
Bryan Bulaga or Trent Williams could also start right away...hope we dont draft Anthony Davis. he does not like the weight room and has multiple suspensions.

Northside Jonny
03-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Mike Iupati-Idaho and Maurkice Pouncey can start right away and will be an upgrade both at RG..Iupati could push Starks or whoever starts at RT.
Bryan Bulaga or Trent Williams could also start right away...hope we dont draft Anthony Davis. he does not like the weight room and has multiple suspensions.

Please let Iupati go I am scared to death of picking him. As for Pouncey, like I've said all along if nobody worth the 18 pick is there move down and grab Pouncey.

Steel_Bus_24
03-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Blame Cleveland for trading down multiple times and stealing Alex Mack

those POSs......I don't know how many Times I yelled profanities at Buffalo, Balt and most of all Clev last year

7willBheaven
03-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm pissed we're in this position when there was such an O Line deep draft last year....and we, trade our second round pick, take 2 corners who can't get on the field, a TE we don't need, and some dude named Urbick who got beat out by a free agent....

You know rookies dont play the first year unless its an absolute must. Thats why they rarely dressed Burnett and Lewis (aka "2 corners who cant get on the field"), same goes for Urbik...and he didnt get beat by a FA...he got beat by another Steeler...yes Essex was a FA that we re-signed but still he's always been a Steeler, not like its some new guy who didnt know the system came in. And the "TE we dont need" was a 7th round pick...for crying out loud, big deal, not much to choose from there....but you know what that 7th round pick not only made the team, but helped out at FB when we needed it, so i do not see it as a wasted pick. Just because you didnt like how things went does not mean these guys are wastes or garbage or anything of the sort...as we do not know what they will be yet...its too early to tell (based on how the Steelers play and progress their players). Yes it would have been nice to get a stud OL, but the cards didnt fall our way (plus picking last doesnt help).

BKAnthem
03-10-2010, 08:46 PM
You know rookies dont play the first year unless its an absolute must. Thats why they rarely dressed Burnett and Lewis (aka "2 corners who cant get on the field"), same goes for Urbik...and he didnt get beat by a FA...he got beat by another Steeler...yes Essex was a FA that we re-signed but still he's always been a Steeler, not like its some new guy who didnt know the system came in. And the "TE we dont need" was a 7th round pick...for crying out loud, big deal, not much to choose from there....but you know what that 7th round pick not only made the team, but helped out at FB when we needed it, so i do not see it as a wasted pick. Just because you didnt like how things went does not mean these guys are wastes or garbage or anything of the sort...as we do not know what they will be yet...its too early to tell (based on how the Steelers play and progress their players). Yes it would have been nice to get a stud OL, but the cards didnt fall our way (plus picking last doesnt help).

You don't think the way that secondary stunk up the joint that those 2 corners playing was absolute must? and by that logic wallace wouldn't have been dressing much either....but he did because he made the most of his opportunity...Burnett and Lewis had chances to play and step up but didn't, don't blame the system, it reminds me of when Jason Simmons and Deshea Townsend were drafted together....Townsend made plays Simmons didn't, so Townsend was on the field and Simmons was on the sidelines and eventually let go......and Urbick got beat out by Foster not Essex , I Knew Essex was gonna start...but who backed up both guard spots? Foster that's who...there were lineman available in the second round(Antoine Caldwell to name 1) that the Steelers could have taken but they trade out of that round and select Urbick...i love my Steelers but i'm not gonna co-sign every move they make either....

7willBheaven
03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
You don't think the way that secondary stunk up the joint that those 2 corners playing was absolute must? and by that logic wallace wouldn't have been dressing much either....but he did because he made the most of his opportunity...Burnett and Lewis had chances to play and step up but didn't, don't blame the system, it reminds me of when Jason Simmons and Deshea Townsend were drafted together....Townsend made plays Simmons didn't, so Townsend was on the field and Simmons was on the sidelines and eventually let go......and Urbick got beat out by Foster not Essex , I Knew Essex was gonna start...but who backed up both guard spots? Foster that's who...there were lineman available in the second round(Antoine Caldwell to name 1) that the Steelers could have taken but they trade out of that round and select Urbick...i love my Steelers but i'm not gonna co-sign every move they make either....

In reality I'd rather have someone who knows the plays/etc be in the game than someone the coach may deem does not...as far as the CBs, but they did get to play some towards the end of the year, which is a good sign. Wallace was just in the right position with the right skills...during the regular season Sweed disappeared and opened the 3rd spot for Wallace, simple as that...there was nobody else there to play that spot...yeah Mcdonald was there/etc...but he was just brought in as a vet backup not to be a 3rd/4th WR. As far as the linemen, the Steelers usually only dress TWO backups for the entire line (of the 4 they keep)...one is always a C (who usually can play either guard position) and a tackle (that not always, but sometimes can play either guard position)...Legursky was the C/G guy and Foster could play both sides of the like at T/G, so he got the nod. Foster played RT 3 of his 4 years at Tenn. (1 yr at LG and RT mixed)...so he has more T experience. Where Urbik was mainly a RG (that did play a little RT). Foster was the better swing man and could play any of the 4 positions is the main reason why he dressed...many people do not see Urbik playing LG or LT in the NFL, which means he was behind Foster as a BU...and only dressed when a starter was inactive.

SteelerNation12
03-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Iupati isn't a dominate guard and you don't pick guards in round 1, let alone at #18 unless they are DOMINATE. When is the last time a guard was even pick in the Top 20?

Texasteel
03-11-2010, 08:34 AM
who can start day 1 and make an impact.......none of this learn the system stuff for 1-3 years

Theres too many good Defensive players particularly in the secondary to not grab one to ease the transition into the new decade

Using this logic, the same should be said about any player we take in the 1st round.

Texasteel
03-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Blame Cleveland for trading down multiple times and stealing Alex Mack

Will we ever get over Mack, or Woods for that matter, I know I won't.

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 09:21 AM
eric mangini did a pretty good job at drafting imo trading up for revis in 2007, trading down for mack in 2009, that scumbag.

Northside Jonny
03-11-2010, 09:55 AM
eric mangini did a pretty good job at drafting imo trading up for revis in 2007, trading down for mack in 2009, that scumbag.

Yeah what a scumbag for doing his job!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Iupati isn't a dominate guard and you don't pick guards in round 1, let alone at #18 unless they are DOMINATE. When is the last time a guard was even pick in the Top 20?

You are about the only one in this entire thread that is posting sensibly. :applaudit: Alan Faneca was the #26 pick, Ben Grubbs the #29. OG's are not normally a top 20 pick. Also Iupati is huge, but played agains lesser competition and had a hard time handling Dan Williams and Geno Atkins in the Senior Bowl. Better players available at #18.

Also, those that complain about Steeler draft picks, without offering a viable solution are mostly just complainers, as they could not have done any better. All the premier O linemen were taken before the #64 pick, so trading down was the best option as opposed to REACHING for a OG/C last year.

Lastly, only something like 2% of all drafted players start on day 1, so the notion of having a guy that can and needs to start on day 1 is silly........unless you are a crappy team that needs to plug a rookie in ASAP.

wdsteel
03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Alan Faneca was last guard we drafted in 1st..dont recall what # but at 18 a trade down and getting Pouncey who also could be a 10year center or guard be nice..Pouncey might not make it past colts.

Steel_Bus_24
03-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Using this logic, the same should be said about any player we take in the 1st round.

but Id rather spend the time getting a DB ready if we can't get a RD 1 OL on the field next season

Oher, Wood, and Mack all started last year......A RD 1 talent should be able to beat out somebody on our unit..........its not like we got 2-3 pro bowlers on that line

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 11:33 AM
but Id rather spend the time getting a DB ready if we can't get a RD 1 OL on the field next season

Oher, Wood, and Mack all started last year......A RD 1 talent should be able to beat out somebody on our line..........its not like we got 2-3 pro bowlers on that line

our o-line isn't as bad as you think im pretty sure ben sacked himself trying to make a play about 20 times.

like on third down against the titans he broke off a tackle and went back seven yards and got sacked again instead of throwing the ball away... other examples as well

i think our o-line is better than what everyone credits them as bad

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Oher, Wood, and Mack all started last year......A RD 1 talent should be able to beat out somebody on our unit..........its not like we got 2-3 pro bowlers on that line

Wood and Mack were drafted by teams that NEEDED to start rookies. Oher too was drafted as a need by the Ravens at RT, just like the Vikings needed Loadholt to start there.

The Steelers gave 4 year contracts to Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, so its doubtful those guys get replaced unless somebody is traded. Colon is a fixture at RT, so the only spot of interest is RG and the got Foster and Urbik to probably be the future there.

They may draft Iupati at #18, but that is too high for a OG, IMO. More likely its a spot for an OT. Jeff Otah (#19) and Oher (#22) were drafted later than 18. Maybe Anthony Davis or Bruce Campbell are selected there. I think the Steelers will instead look to defense in the 1st. And that player probably will not start on opening day either.

jonslow
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM

I have to disagree with you. Good guards are underrated, especially in a league so heavily dominated by passing offenses in recent years. Iupati is a special talent and a physical freak with all the tools to be an elite guard in the NFL. I would have no problem with drafting him in the first, even without trading down. Davin Joseph was drafted at #23 in 2006 and he's been a great guard in the NFL.

There isn't another position on the field (other than center maybe) that people overlook as much as guards. Obviously, fullbacks and kickers/punters never go early in drafts, but some guards warrant a top pick. Are you telling me you would ignore a position need and overlook a unique talent just because the guy plays guard?

Not me. I'll take him at #18 and fill a hole on our line for the next 10 years. I saw Iupati all week at Senior Bowl. I was there watching him every day, so this isn't coming from someone who is just quoting other people. Iupati is the real deal and there are going to be a lot of teams kicking themselves for passing on him.

vrabinec
03-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Iupati looked good at the combine (I didn't see him anywhere else), but Davis was the most powerful blocker I saw all year. He DESTROYED guys this year, even moreso than Okung. He's not as good of a pass blocker as some of the other tackles, but he's just as good of a pass blocker as Iupati. I wonder if he'd be willing to play RG, or if the new o-line coach would be willing to shove Colon down one to play RG. Anyway, Davis was the most dominating blocker I saw this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
OK, I might be the biggest O-line honk on this message board. I'm one of the really degenerate people that watched O line play and actually have gone to football clinics on offensive line blocking. I've got VHS tapes of "Anthony Munoz Offensve line drills" somewhere in the basement.

If I look at the current pro bowlers at guard, Faneca, Mankins, Hutchinson, Snee, Dielman, Leonard Davis......I dont think any of those guys was worth a #18 pick. Especially in a draft that is being called the deepest draft in 25 years by some. Sure guard is overlooked and Iupati is a monster of a man, but I still dont think its the right pick.

Give me a LT that can protect the QB, a CB that erase a WR, a pass rusher that can wreak havoc on the QB or a ILB that can tackle sideline to sideline at #18.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Iupati looked good at the combine (I didn't see him anywhere else), but Davis was the most powerful blocker I saw all year. He DESTROYED guys this year, even moreso than Okung. He's not as good of a pass blocker as some of the other tackles, but he's just as good of a pass blocker as Iupati. I wonder if he'd be willing to play RG, or if the new o-line coach would be willing to shove Colon down one to play RG. Anyway, Davis was the most dominating blocker I saw this year.

Anthony Davis apparantly didnt work out at his pro day because he wasnt feeling good. He didnt even weigh in. Its raising some questions for sure.

I agree, I think Davis is a dominant run blocker and has incredibly agile feet for such a big kid as a pass blocker. I think if his head is on right he can be an elite LT, but at worst, a great RT. I think he will drop and be there at #18, just like Jeff Otah did 3 years ago, but interviews will tell the story where he is picked.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Davis, a projected first-round pick, met with teams in the morning and then left before drills started because he wasn't feeling well and had tweaked his hamstring, Shah said.

"He was here in the morning. He met with a number of teams that were interested in him, and the fact that he wasn't going to be working out and he wasn't feeling well is why he left," said Shah. "We will be setting up for more teams that want to work him out some more."

Maybe that's all there was to the 6-5, 323-pound Davis pulling a disappearing act. But it's probably no coincidence that the former Rutgers standout has seen his draft stock -- once brimming with top 10 possibilities -- fall to mid-first round status since declaring for the draft after his junior year. Little things add up, and Davis has been guilty of a lot of little things throughout his career.

"He ticked off a lot of NFL people today," said one scout, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak publicly about draft prospects. "I don't know what his agent was thinking. People came here specifically to see him and he wasn't here. They didn't even send out a memo telling us he wouldn't be doing any drills. Apparently, they decided (Tuesday) night and that was it.

"It definitely isn't going to help him."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2010/03/former_rutgers_tackle_anthony.html

vrabinec
03-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Davis, a projected first-round pick, met with teams in the morning and then left before drills started because he wasn't feeling well and had tweaked his hamstring, Shah said.

"He was here in the morning. He met with a number of teams that were interested in him, and the fact that he wasn't going to be working out and he wasn't feeling well is why he left," said Shah. "We will be setting up for more teams that want to work him out some more."

Maybe that's all there was to the 6-5, 323-pound Davis pulling a disappearing act. But it's probably no coincidence that the former Rutgers standout has seen his draft stock -- once brimming with top 10 possibilities -- fall to mid-first round status since declaring for the draft after his junior year. Little things add up, and Davis has been guilty of a lot of little things throughout his career.

"He ticked off a lot of NFL people today," said one scout, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak publicly about draft prospects. "I don't know what his agent was thinking. People came here specifically to see him and he wasn't here. They didn't even send out a memo telling us he wouldn't be doing any drills. Apparently, they decided (Tuesday) night and that was it.

"It definitely isn't going to help him."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2010/03/former_rutgers_tackle_anthony.html

I don't know why the hell he even agreed to work out again after the combine.

jollyrob68
03-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Maurkice Pouncey fills what the Steelers need. Our weakest spot is at Center and RG and he can play either. He can start at Guard and then move to Center. I like him over Iupat plus I think Iupati might not be there. Tackles, I like Bryan Bulaga he seemed relaxed and polished in the drills and I changed my Stance on Trent Williams after watching him. Anthony Davis has character issues and didnt seem right at the combine & at his Pro Day.
MAURKICE POUNCEY IF WE TAKE A LINEMAN
JARED ODRICK D LINEMAN
McCLAIN IF HE SLIPS OR HADEN IF HE SLIPS.
CJ SPILLAR WILL BE TOUGH TO BYPASS JUST LIKE RASHARD WAS.

pete74
03-11-2010, 03:25 PM
i would be very happy with iupati because i feel he can open up holes for mendenhall to bust thru but i would also like to get a future LT and put him in at right tackel for a while and move colon to gaurd. i think we definatly need at least 1 but perferablly 2 lineman that can start this year or next. iupati will definatly start this year. you watch, if another team(dallas) grabs him he will start right out of the gate and be a monster

BKAnthem
03-13-2010, 02:11 AM
You are about the only one in this entire thread that is posting sensibly. :applaudit: Alan Faneca was the #26 pick, Ben Grubbs the #29. OG's are not normally a top 20 pick. Also Iupati is huge, but played agains lesser competition and had a hard time handling Dan Williams and Geno Atkins in the Senior Bowl. Better players available at #18.

Also, those that complain about Steeler draft picks, without offering a viable solution are mostly just complainers, as they could not have done any better. All the premier O linemen were taken before the #64 pick, so trading down was the best option as opposed to REACHING for a OG/C last year.

Lastly, only something like 2% of all drafted players start on day 1, so the notion of having a guy that can and needs to start on day 1 is silly........unless you are a crappy team that needs to plug a rookie in ASAP.

Caldwell was available in round 2....he's not better than Urbick?

jollyrob68
03-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Jared Veldheer in rd 2 or 3 but I don't think he'll be there in the 3rd. The steelers need to get younger on the D front 7 quickly. Jared Odrick in the first and Jared Veldheer in the second covers us nicely but we can't keep blowing off the need for our future center. If we take Pouncey in the first then we take a LB or CB in the 2nd and get a DL later rounds. Or Toby G in the 2nd.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Caldwell was available in round 2....he's not better than Urbick?

I think Urbik is just as good a guard as Caldwell, but cant play center. Is Mike Wallace and Kraig Urbik better than Antoine Caldwell???? THAT is the real question.

The Steelers didnt think Caldwell was worth the #64 pick and traded down 15 spots with Denver and another of Denver's 3rd round picks. Would you have taken Caldwell at pick #64???

Basically, the Steelers traded away the right to pick Antoine Caldwell, for Kraig Urbik-OG and Mike Wallace-WR. I'd say that was a good move. :thumbsup:

jollyrob68
03-14-2010, 11:53 PM
:thumbsup:I think Urbik is just as good a guard as Caldwell, but cant play center. Is Mike Wallace and Kraig Urbik better than Antoine Caldwell???? THAT is the real question.

The Steelers didnt think Caldwell was worth the #64 pick and traded down 15 spots with Denver and another of Denver's 3rd round picks. Would you have taken Caldwell at pick #64???

Basically, the Steelers traded away the right to pick Antoine Caldwell, for Kraig Urbik-OG and Mike Wallace-WR. I'd say that was a good move. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: the pick up of wallace chumps all. plus I wanted the DE that The Bears picked up Jarron Gilbert.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2010, 09:54 AM
:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: the pick up of wallace chumps all. plus I wanted the DE that The Bears picked up Jarron Gilbert.

There was NO WAY the Steelers were going to pick Gilbert after they already had selected Hood in the 1st round. We were discussing alternatives to what the Steelers did last year to address O line in the draft and I think they did the best they could.........as most of the top level talent was gone by pick #64 and the Broncos offered a sweet deal.

Another hijacking attempt thwarted. :tt:

jollyrob68
03-16-2010, 12:41 PM
There was NO WAY the Steelers were going to pick Gilbert after they already had selected Hood in the 1st round. We were discussing alternatives to what the Steelers did last year to address O line in the draft and I think they did the best they could.........as most of the top level talent was gone by pick #64 and the Broncos offered a sweet deal.

Another hijacking attempt thwarted. :tt:

I'm not attempting to Hijack and you didnt thwart jack crap. I stated what I wanted because like you said the top level was gone and it doesnt matter that they selected Hood. We need youth at the D line and Aaron Smith got hurt again!! So it would of been a smart decision to take Jarron Gilbert. :flap:
Getting 2 additional 3rd rounders and picking Mike Wallace was the best thing the ever did.

pete74
03-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm not attempting to Hijack and you didnt thwart jack crap. I stated what I wanted because like you said the top level was gone and it doesnt matter that they selected Hood. We need youth at the D line and Aaron Smith got hurt again!! So it would of been a smart decision to take Jarron Gilbert. :flap:
Getting 2 additional 3rd rounders and picking Mike Wallace was the best thing the ever did.

as long as the other 3rd rounders pan out

jollyrob68
03-16-2010, 02:47 PM
as long as the other 3rd rounders pan out

I was surprised they picked urbik because he was the person the nfl network kept showing get beat in their clips. They showed him getting pushed back and said he doesnt sink his hips.
I hope the New Line coach gets the best out of everyone.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Taking Ziggy Hood and Jarron Gilbert would have been silly considering we needed O line help too. Taking William Beatty and Jarron Gilbert would have worked. Both needed to be addressed. Some think Gilbert may have to switch to O line to be productive....so that may have worked.

I was surprised they picked urbik because he was the person the nfl network kept showing get beat in their clips. They showed him getting pushed back and said he doesnt sink his hips.
I hope the New Line coach gets the best out of everyone.

I was not surprised of the Urbik pick, as I watched him in at least 3 Wisconsin games his senior year, plus the week of Senior Bowl and he looked solid. Not fleet of foot, but just a guy with a 10 year career ahead of him. Here is an excerpt from Senior Bowl practice.

In the 1v1 battles going on at the North end zone, Ziggy Hood continued to dominate, but not if Kraig Urbik had anything to say about it. Urbik handled Hood's spin well and stood him up and displayed a nasty demeanor http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2009practice2.php

BKAnthem
03-18-2010, 06:33 PM
I think Urbik is just as good a guard as Caldwell, but cant play center. Is Mike Wallace and Kraig Urbik better than Antoine Caldwell???? THAT is the real question.

I know you study Olineman but i have to disagree....If Urbick was better he would have been playing not watching Ramon Foster jogging onto the field....Wallace was a gold mine i must Admit....but i think Caldwell has a much higher ceiling than Urbick and we wouldn't be talking about finding a new G/C for the future right now if we had him IMO...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2010, 12:17 AM
I know you study Olineman but i have to disagree....If Urbick was better he would have been playing not watching Ramon Foster jogging onto the field....Wallace was a gold mine i must Admit....but i think Caldwell has a much higher ceiling than Urbick and we wouldn't be talking about finding a new G/C for the future right now if we had him IMO...

I agree that if Urbik had developed like many thought.....he would have been ahead of Foster. I still think its early to write him off and he was probably a 3rd round value for a reason.

I liked Caldwell as the #3 C prospect last year for the Steelers(I dont think Unger was a good fit), but if you ask me if I would rather have Antoine Caldwell over Mike Wallace and Kraig Urbik.....................I still dont think Caldwell is worth Wallace, let alone both.

jollyrob68
03-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree that if Urbik had developed like many thought.....he would have been ahead of Foster. I still think its early to write him off and he was probably a 3rd round value for a reason.

I liked Caldwell as the #3 C prospect last year for the Steelers(I dont think Unger was a good fit), but if you ask me if I would rather have Antoine Caldwell over Mike Wallace and Kraig Urbik.....................I still dont think Caldwell is worth Wallace, let alone both.

I think its too early to give up on Urbik and hope he will be a solid rotating player for 10 yrs. I would love to get Maurkice Pouncey in the 1st if we go O line.

pete74
03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I think its too early to give up on Urbik and hope he will be a solid rotating player for 10 yrs. I would love to get Maurkice Pouncey in the 1st if we go O line.

im starting to like pouncey but if we get a chance at a top tackel i would much rather grab him and take our center in the 3rd. if we do grab pouncey in the 1st he better start immediatly and be a probowl player his 2nd year because 18 is early for a center

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I think its too early to give up on Urbik and hope he will be a solid rotating player for 10 yrs. .

I dont look at Urbik as a "rotating player". I think he will be a starting NFL guard for a decade. Kind of a Brendan Stai type player. Some pre draft analysis on him last year.

ĽKraig Urbik will be a nice addition to any NFL team. Urbik is the type of hard working, blue collar lineman that makes NFL running games look good. He is a relentless run blocker who plays with a real mean streak

-Best fit at the next level will be inside at guard but could also see action at right tackle in a pinch...Typical Badger offensive lineman in that he's a blue collar mauler who definitely looks the part ... Will likely be coveted by teams that employ a power attack

-chosen first-team All-Big Ten Conference by several publications. He made 72 knockdowns and 11 touchdown-resulting blocks, paving the way for the conference-leading ground attack that averaged 211.15 yards per game, the 14th-best figure in the nation

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/3/29/805304/g-kraig-urbik-wisconsin

Texasteel
03-19-2010, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;787939]I dont look at Urbik as a "rotating player". I think he will be a starting NFL guard for a decade. Kind of a Brendan Stai type player. Some pre draft analysis on him last year.
QUOTE]

I agree with you. Remember Troys first year, how many people stated wondering why we drafted him.

pete74
03-19-2010, 06:21 PM
I dont look at Urbik as a "rotating player". I think he will be a starting NFL guard for a decade. Kind of a Brendan Stai type player. Some pre draft analysis on him last year.

ĽKraig Urbik will be a nice addition to any NFL team. Urbik is the type of hard working, blue collar lineman that makes NFL running games look good. He is a relentless run blocker who plays with a real mean streak

-Best fit at the next level will be inside at guard but could also see action at right tackle in a pinch...Typical Badger offensive lineman in that he's a blue collar mauler who definitely looks the part ... Will likely be coveted by teams that employ a power attack

-chosen first-team All-Big Ten Conference by several publications. He made 72 knockdowns and 11 touchdown-resulting blocks, paving the way for the conference-leading ground attack that averaged 211.15 yards per game, the 14th-best figure in the nation

i hope your right. we didnt get to see anything from him to really base an opinion eitherway but it would be nice to have him start next to kemo

Texasteel
03-19-2010, 06:45 PM
i hope your right. we didnt get to see anything from him to really base an opinion eitherway but it would be nice to have him start next to kemo

I would worry to much about Urbik yet.............. Hill on the other hand may have ran his course.

pete74
03-20-2010, 05:49 AM
I would worry to much about Urbik yet.............. Hill on the other hand may have ran his course.

yea unfortunatly i have to agree on the hill comment. its a shame because i thought he would do better. i hate to see a 4th round pick thrown away. if urbik is coming along and can be a starter this year or next then were pretty set at guard because it looks like foster is stepping up. if this is the case then i guess its pointless to grab iupati like i wanted to unless they feel he could also play tackle. we definatly need at least 1 more tackle and i would be in heaven if one of the top 5 fell our way

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-20-2010, 09:30 AM
yea unfortunatly i have to agree on the hill comment. its a shame because i thought he would do better. i hate to see a 4th round pick thrown away. if urbik is coming along and can be a starter this year or next then were pretty set at guard because it looks like foster is stepping up. if this is the case then i guess its pointless to grab iupati like i wanted to unless they feel he could also play tackle. we definatly need at least 1 more tackle and i would be in heaven if one of the top 5 fell our way

I would have no problem with Jared Veldheer in the second...and if rumors are true that Jason Fox has been cleared....then I would take him in a heartbeat.

BKAnthem
03-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I was re-reading Jonslow's scouting combine practice blog, and it seems after the top 1st and second round linemen there is a HUGE dropoff....so we need to grab one early as possible...

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I was re-reading Jonslow's scouting combine practice blog, and it seems after the top 1st and second round linemen there is a HUGE dropoff....so we need to grab one early as possible...

I think that is true in regards to OT's...but there are some pretty good Centers and Guards that will be available in the 3-5 rounds.

Centers:
J.D. Walton -3rd
Eric Olsen-4th
Ted Larsen-5th

Guards:
Mike Johnson-3rd
Zane Beadles-4th
Mitch Petrus-4th
Marshall Newhouse-5th
Brandon Carter-5th

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Yeah...........name me a draft year where there were a lot of great O linemen(especially OT's) in rounds 3-7. Not really that much of a revalation.

I think that is true in regards to OT's...but there are some pretty good Centers and Guards that will be available in the 3-5 rounds.

Centers:
J.D. Walton -3rd
Eric Olsen-4th
Ted Larsen-5th

Guards:
Mike Johnson-3rd
Zane Beadles-4th
Mitch Petrus-4th
Marshall Newhouse-5th
Brandon Carter-5th

I think you are right. But, its pretty much par for the course, as good LT prospects go early and guys that can play RT or interior line have less value and can be found later.

I like Shaun Lavao G, and Mike Tepper RT also on that list of later round O line prospects. Kyle Calloway might be in the 3rd too.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-20-2010, 04:15 PM

Centers:
J.D. Walton -3rd
Eric Olsen-4th
Ted Larsen-5th

Guards:
Mike Johnson-3rd
Zane Beadles-4th
Mitch Petrus-4th
Marshall Newhouse-5th
Brandon Carter-5th

Is it just me or does anyone else think Brandon Carter is a scary looking dude? :chuckle:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_86_d0RuN5kQ/SnLdBJUgKlI/AAAAAAAAATw/RqsNpjtMPCM/s400/Brandon+Carter+2.jpg

http://thesportsculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/brandon-carter-swp.jpg

http://cjonline.com/files/editorial/images/morris/topeka/web/68605_web_100909-brandon-carter-LEDE.jpg

jollyrob68
03-20-2010, 04:32 PM

I'd like to see what Urbik can do but,Why do they keep saying we need a Guard? If Urbik can get on the field then I want Maurkice Pouncey even more than ever in the first round. Move Justin Hartwig to backup. Drop Hills and hope Jared Veldheer is there in the 3rd or pickup Capers,Calloway,Black or Fox later. Ed Wang in the 7th.

Texasteel
03-20-2010, 08:33 PM
I would have no problem with Jared Veldheer in the second...and if rumors are true that Jason Fox has been cleared....then I would take him in a heartbeat.

That very good news. If we could get a ILB or DB in the 1st, Veldheer or Fox in the second, I would be very happy.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else think Brandon Carter is a scary looking dude? :chuckle:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_86_d0RuN5kQ/SnLdBJUgKlI/AAAAAAAAATw/RqsNpjtMPCM/s400/Brandon+Carter+2.jpg

http://thesportsculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/brandon-carter-swp.jpg

http://cjonline.com/files/editorial/images/morris/topeka/web/68605_web_100909-brandon-carter-LEDE.jpg

All that halloween crap is a negative in my book. If he tries to dress up like the boogeyman in the pros....someone is going to feed him his jockstrap.

He might has well use all that make-up and put a target on his face.

jollyrob68
03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Thats the problem the Steelers have had as of late. They wait to get a lineman instead of getting one of the best in the first 2 rounds. Grab Maurkice Pouncey in the first and then you can focus on Defense and getting late LIneman as normal. Grab a CB in the second,LB or a dexter Mccluster/Jacoby ford in the 3rd( or wait until the 6st 7th for brandon james)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Why would we spend a 3rd round pick on McCluster when we never use Stefan Logan for anything??

Same with Jacoby Ford. So he has Mike Wallace speed, with Stefan Logan height.........he'd be #6 on the WR depth chart.

jollyrob68
03-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Why would we spend a 3rd round pick on McCluster when we never use Stefan Logan for anything??

Same with Jacoby Ford. So he has Mike Wallace speed, with Stefan Logan height.........he'd be #6 on the WR depth chart.

They'd trust them more than Logan because thats what Mccluster & Ford do well and Logan was a CFl'er.
The experts keep saying we need a scat back to go with rashard. I want a Power Back like Toby G in the 3rd or Anthony Dixon in the 4th or 5th. We can get a power back late if needed.

Have you noticed that they dont realy trust walk ons ie non drafted players. They gave Parker a shot at the end of his first season and realized dam we got something here. They need to give Redman a shot then they dont need to draft a power back. However I'd still take Toby G. He reminds me of Riggins.

BKAnthem
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't get this talk about RB's when we have other needs to be Addressed...a RB, especially Gerhardt in the 3rd When we could be taking a D lineman or ILB? not gonna happen....they'll be plenty of FA's after the draft to choose from....

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2010, 10:38 AM
They'd trust them more than Logan because thats what Mccluster & Ford do well and Logan was a CFl'er.
The experts keep saying we need a scat back to go with rashard. I want a Power Back like Toby G in the 3rd or Anthony Dixon in the 4th or 5th. We can get a power back late if needed.

Have you noticed that they dont realy trust walk ons ie non drafted players. They gave Parker a shot at the end of his first season and realized dam we got something here. They need to give Redman a shot then they dont need to draft a power back. However I'd still take Toby G. He reminds me of Riggins.

No use wasting a premium pick in the 3rd on a RB with Mendenhall and Moore on the roster.

Yeah, the Steelers never trust undrafted players....like Parker, Harrison, Kreider, Foster, Legursky, Keydrick Vincent, Stefan Logan. I would not trust the "experts" that say we need a scatback. I'm all for getting a solid North-south runner in the 4th or 5th round.

I don't get this talk about RB's when we have other needs to be Addressed...a RB, especially Gerhardt in the 3rd When we could be taking a D lineman or ILB? not gonna happen....they'll be plenty of FA's after the draft to choose from....

I agree. I think CB, ILB, OT are the biggest needs at this point. Still, with 2 extra 5th round comp picks I can see a RB taken there. Same with a NT or OLB project.