PDA

View Full Version : What about a 3-4 DE?

Busforever
03-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't see him listed very often, but I like the oportunity to pick Jared Odrick. A 6-4, 300 pounds DT from Penn State, he could very well play DE in our 3-4 schemes. I think he proved to be a versatile player on the line. With him and Ziggy Hood, we could have our DE for many years, and we know the importance of those guys everytime Aaron Smith is out. It's pretty hard to find some potential elite 3-4 DE, and hopefully we won't have a top 10 pick for years to fill them:tt02:. With this year draft class, we can have a quality 3-4 DE with the 18th pick. A real oportunity, i think.

There's also guy like Carlos Dunlap, maybe Everson Griffen... I don't know those players as well.

And if not, players like Rolando McClain (will he fall? I think not, but who knows), Witherspoon, or a first round OL to upgrade our running game (Iupati, Trent Williams) would be good choices, in other direction.

In fact I'm happy we re-signed Ryan Clark, added Will Allen so safeties are not a priority in the draft. DE, ILB and OL are more urgent to me, at least on the first rounds.

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
i doubt they'll go for another DE this soon. obviously they felt sonny harrison has potential by the way they snatched him back off carolina's practice squad... plus they cut eason and i'm assuming it was so they could make room for him on the 53 roster. in order to pick another DE ,then they'd have to cut either kirskie or harrison.

pancake
03-10-2010, 08:07 PM
I think that CB and OL is more pressing for the first round. IMO

BKAnthem
03-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I think that CB and OL is more pressing for the first round. IMO

:tt04::tt02::tt::tt03::applaudit::thumbsup::drink:

7willBheaven
03-10-2010, 09:21 PM
i doubt they'll go for another DE this soon. obviously they felt sonny harrison has potential by the way they snatched him back off carolina's practice squad... plus they cut eason and i'm assuming it was so they could make room for him on the 53 roster. in order to pick another DE ,then they'd have to cut either kirskie or harrison.

Kirschke is a FA (along with Eason)...and neither re-signed (as of yet). Right now its, Smith and Keisel with Hood and Harris (not Harrison fyi). I wouldnt mind seeing Eason back or a late round draft pick (who probably wouldnt see much action and be inactive most of the year, but still).

wdsteel
03-10-2010, 09:34 PM
we can get a good DL in late rounds..
1) Lamarr Houston Texas in 3rd...6' 2" 270 Extremely disruptive and explosive. Pushes the pocket, sheds blocks well and is excellent against the run.
2) Mike Neal Purdue in the 4th..6' 4" 304 Good size and quickness. Has a variety of effective pass rushing moves from the inside. Pushes the pocket well. Good athlete with high motor.
3) Linval Joseph Texas in 5th 6' 6" 322...Huge frame, typical DT in a 3-4 system, clogs the middle, good wrap up tackler, strong push off the snap, great upper body power, gets his hands up to knock down passes, good footwork for his size.
4) Torrell Troup in the 5th 6' 3" 314..All-Conference USA second team. Dominated during East-West Shrine practices. Instinctive, disruptive and pushes the pocket well. Very good against the run and takes up space.
5) Clifton Geathers South Carolina in 5th 6' 8" 290..Big body, long arms, speed rusher, wrap up tackler. Inexperienced..this one has time to learn..
top 4 are DT's but fit our 3-4 DE...

Aaron Smith was drafted in 4th
Brett Keisel was drafted 7th

7willBheaven
03-10-2010, 11:14 PM
1) Lamarr Houston Texas in 3rd...6' 2" 270 Extremely disruptive and explosive. Pushes the pocket, sheds blocks well and is excellent against the run.
2) Mike Neal Purdue in the 4th..6' 4" 304 Good size and quickness. Has a variety of effective pass rushing moves from the inside. Pushes the pocket well. Good athlete with high motor.
3) Linval Joseph Texas in 5th 6' 6" 322...Huge frame, typical DT in a 3-4 system, clogs the middle, good wrap up tackler, strong push off the snap, great upper body power, gets his hands up to knock down passes, good footwork for his size.
4) Torrell Troup in the 5th 6' 3" 314..All-Conference USA second team. Dominated during East-West Shrine practices. Instinctive, disruptive and pushes the pocket well. Very good against the run and takes up space.
5) Clifton Geathers South Carolina in 5th 6' 8" 290..Big body, long arms, speed rusher, wrap up tackler. Inexperienced..this one has time to learn..

Most see Troup as a 3rd/4th round NT, not a DE, if we got him I wouldnt have a problem with a young guy behind Casey.

SteelerNation12
03-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Dunlap would be an awful fit for us

Texasteel
03-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Another one you add to your list is Alex Carrington, 6'5" 285.

He may have moved himself up to far though.

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Jason Worilds is a beast.

wdsteel
03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Jason Worilds is a beast.

i would like hiom but think he would be an OLB for us.. i like him or Noewood to back and replace Harrison in 2-3 years

+NuBbS+
03-11-2010, 05:25 PM
i never think its too soon to take DL in the draft. Keisel is 31 going on 32, Smith is 34. What would it hurt to start infusing some youth up front?? Not to mention Hampton is 32 or 33 i cant remember off the top of my head. I like Jared Odrick from Penn State. I liked Ziggy Hood last year. If we have 2 picks to sure up those positions early, then snatch a corner or a OG in the second, i'd be happy.

steelerdave1969
03-12-2010, 08:43 AM
I think the Steelers could definitely use another DE early in this draft, but I think a good Offensive Lineman is more pressing. With the resigning of our players and addition of WR Randel El I think we helped our special teams, but Antwan is no spring chicken so dont put all your eggs in his basket.
OT or OG
Secondary
ILB
DE
This is my order of a wish list for the upcoming draft.

vrabinec
03-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't see him listed very often, but I like the oportunity to pick Jared Odrick. A 6-4, 300 pounds DT from Penn State, he could very well play DE in our 3-4 schemes. I think he proved to be a versatile player on the line. With him and Ziggy Hood, we could have our DE for many years, and we know the importance of those guys everytime Aaron Smith is out. It's pretty hard to find some potential elite 3-4 DE, and hopefully we won't have a top 10 pick for years to fill them:tt02:. With this year draft class, we can have a quality 3-4 DE with the 18th pick. A real oportunity, i think.

There's also guy like Carlos Dunlap, maybe Everson Griffen... I don't know those players as well.

And if not, players like Rolando McClain (will he fall? I think not, but who knows), Witherspoon, or a first round OL to upgrade our running game (Iupati, Trent Williams) would be good choices, in other direction.

In fact I'm happy we re-signed Ryan Clark, added Will Allen so safeties are not a priority in the draft. DE, ILB and OL are more urgent to me, at least on the first rounds.

I'd be depressed if we drafted Odrick in the first. Not that he's terrible, but I don't think he's all that dynamic that he warrants the 18th pick, and since we drafted Ziggy last year and aren't quite sure what we're gonna do with HIM this year, it just doesn't seem like the direction we should go. A late round sleeper I like is CJ Wilson out of ECU. Reminds me a lot of a young Kemo Von Olhoffen.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I love Odrick as a DE, and still have him projected to go in the first round to New England.

I agree with what alot of others are saying in that we have greater needs in the first. That being said, Texas mentioned an excellent prospect that "might" be available in the third.

Alex Carrington 6'5", 284 lb

03/12/10 - TOP RATED NFL DRAFT SCOUT DEFENSIVE ENDS: Alex Carrington: Arkansas State, 6-5, 284, 3: There's really nothing fancy about this big guy, but offensive linemen will need to show up ready for a brawl. Carrington is serious about football and about life, as evidenced by his rugged play on the field and his strong personal focus. He chose Arkansas State over larger schools to be near his son and has a degree in clinical psychology. On the field, he ruined offenses in 2008, when he earned Sun Belt defensive player of the year with 53 tackles (19 for a loss) and 10 sacks. He finished his career with 21 sacks and then really got the attention of scouts when he manhandled blockers at Senior Bowl practices. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com/CBS Sports/USA TODAY

01/28/10 - SENIOR BOWL RISER: DE Alex Carrington, Arkansas State: He may have entered the week of practice among the least hyped defensive players on the entire Senior Bowl roster, but after this week every NFL team knows his name. Carrington's rare combination of size (6-feet-5, 284 pounds) and strength make him an intriguing prospect at end for the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. That versatility could result in a second round grade. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, you were pimpin Carrington early last year. He had a good season and impressive week of Senior Bowl practice. I still think we have other needs with our top 3 picks instead of a DE though. I think Hood and Harris will turn out to be really good 5-technique guys for us.

Need CB, ILB, OT, and even a C. I'll be stoked if a certain O lineman from B.C. is drafted in the 4th by the Steelers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Yeah, you were pimpin Carrington early last year. He had a good season and impressive week of Senior Bowl practice. I still think we have other needs with our top 3 picks instead of a DE though. I think Hood and Harris will turn out to be really good 5-technique guys for us.

Need CB, ILB, OT, and even a C. I'll be stoked if a certain O lineman from B.C. is drafted in the 4th by the Steelers.

Totally agree with your take on our needs.

I'm still hoping for Thomas as a CB in the first...and wouldnt be dissapointed if we drafted McCourty at that slot. Though most will say that he is a reach at #18, I would disagree and predict that he will be a future stud.

OT Veldheer in the second

OC JD Wall in the third (Pouncy and Tennant will be gone in the second and I would take Veldheer over both)

ILB Micah Johnson in the fourth.

There ya go.....all four of your team needs... with players that are very good value in their rounds and should fall very close to where we pick.

jollyrob68
03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Whats been said is you only take a shutdown CB in the first round and the only one is Joe Haden.
Jared Odrick would be a smart choice because he will be able to get on the field and rotate in his first season.Keeping Kiesel& Smith fresher along with Ziggy Hood.
O line is in need of an upgrade and we need to stop waiting until the later rounds to grab one. IN Round 1 we have 2 tackles to pick from Trent Wiliiams & Bryan Bulaga both may not be there. AT Guard/Center in rd 1 MIke Iupati or Maurkice Pouncey. seeing that Center is the weakest position we have they need to take Pouncey. Pouncey can start at guard and then move to Center or just start the Pouncey era NOW.
The Steelers Defense has always been defined by its FRONT 7 and what the injury to Aaron Smith has show(in 2 of the last 3 years) is when we have no pass rush we dont make the playoffs or are one and done.
Defensive picks; McClain if he falls,Haden if he falls(cant pass him up) JAred Odrick,Dan Williams or Sean Weatherspoon are the only Defensive picks at the 18th spot.
Ps IF Earl Thomas is on the board he would be included in this group because he is rated as a top 12 pick and can be a CB or Safety.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm still hoping for Thomas as a CB in the first...and wouldnt be dissapointed if we drafted McCourty at that slot. Though most will say that he is a reach at #18, I would disagree and predict that he will be a future stud.

OC JD Wall in the third (Pouncy and Tennant will be gone in the second and I would take Veldheer over both)

There ya go.....all four of your team needs... with players that are very good value in their rounds and should fall very close to where we pick.

Yeah, I like that. I really dont know if Thomas can play CB, so I am good with Wilson, McCourty, in round 1. I think an underrated center from BC could slip into the 3rd round, but not sure if he makes it to the last half of the 3rd.

Also, if Detroit goes DT in the 1st round, expect Veldheer to go there at the top of the 2nd. (Unless Charles Brown is still there)

BKAnthem
03-12-2010, 09:02 PM

:applaudit::tt04:

Preach Brother Preach!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Also, if Detroit goes DT in the 1st round, expect Veldheer to go there at the top of the 2nd. (Unless Charles Brown is still there)

I think there is a chance that they draft Vladimir Ducasse in the 2nd round. According to their Head Coach , his main concern on the o-line is Left Guard, and not only does Ducasse grade a bit higher than Veldheer...but alot of scouts have him penciled in as a Guard.

Jim Schwartz on WDFN: Upgrading offensive line important, but Lions' other needs are, too
By Philip Zaroo | MLive.com
March 12, 2010, 6:12PM

As they have for many years running, the Detroit Lions struggled to find someone to play consistently at left guard last season.

But when you're talking about a team that went 2-14 in 2009, it's hard to say any one particular position is that much more important than another area of weakness.

Jim Schwartz reiterates his stance that Detroit must identify the best opportunities to upgrade its roster, but that doesn't necessarily mean those opportunities have to be in next month's NFL draft.

"(Left guard is) high on the to-do list," the Lions head coach tells MLive Insider Tom Kowalski and John Niyo on WDFN-AM. "Well, I don't know if any of our things are any more important than anything else. We have a lot of things on the to-do list, but they're not prioritized in order of importance because they're all important.

"I think (left guard) was obviously a position we need to improve. We need to improve our offensive line, in general, but you could say that for just about every position on our team."
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/03/jim_schwartz_on_wdfn_1.html

St33lersguy
03-15-2010, 07:36 PM
The steelers need to come away with atleast 2 3-4 DL. Only one DL for the steelers is under 30 and the entire DL play drops off when Aaron Smith is injured.

OneForTheToe
03-15-2010, 08:15 PM
I think maybe we still take Casey's eventual replacement high in this draft. Then, we could use Hoke to backup NT and DE. I also agree that Eason could be back.

taztroy43
03-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Did EASON sign with the Cardinals....I haven't heard anything since I heard that he was visiting with them(or planning to visit with them).

taztroy43
03-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Yeah....you're right about Harris....I think that they like him a lot...so I too doubt that they will go w/ a DE early in the draft but again....with the FA acquisitions....you never know....

Vincent
03-15-2010, 11:01 PM
To the OPs point, I wouldn't mind having Jared Odrick. He'd be a real good one for us. BUT we have us some DEs right now. I think Ziggys going to be a real good one. I'd like to see me some Sonny next year. IMHO, this isn't the year for a 1st round DE.

khorton9986
03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't mind Odrick in the 1st round. I've heard him compared to Aaron Smith

Steely McSmash
03-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Odrick's not a bad pick but I'd rather see someone who could start in 2011 at OL, LB or in 2010 at CB.

DE guys could rotate in but it'll probably be years before we have room for 2 new starters.