PDA

View Full Version : NY State has a bill to ban salt in restaurants

Vincent
03-10-2010, 11:26 PM
First it was smoking. Then trans fats. Now salt. Next it'll be booze and speech. At what threshold of insanity will sane people say to these lunatics "ENOUGH"?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/chefs-call-proposed-new-york-salt-ban-absurd-20100310-akd

Chefs Call Proposed New York Salt Ban 'Absurd'

10 Mar 2010, 9:47 PM EST

By ARUN KRISTIAN DAS / MyFox New York

MYFOXNY.COM - Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises," the bill, A. 10129 , states in part.

The legislation, which Assemblyman Felix Ortiz , D-Brooklyn, introduced on March 5, would fine restaurants $1,000 for each violation.

"The consumer needs to make their own health choices. Just as doctors and the occasional visit to a hospital can't truly control how a person chooses to maintain their health, neither can chefs nor the occasional visit to a restaurant," said Jeff Nathan, the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's on Broadway. "Modifying trans fats and sodium intake needs to be home based for optimal health. Regulating restaurants will not solve this health issue."

Nathan is part of the group My Food My Choice , which calls itself a coalition of chefs, restaurant owners, and consumers, called the proposed law "absurd" in a press release issued on its Facebook page.

Ortiz has said the salt ban would allow restaurant patrons to decide how salty they want their meals to be.

"In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles," Ortiz said, according to a Nation's Restaurant News report.

But many chefs and restaurant owners said they are tired of politicians dictating what they can serve and what people can eat. They have opposed the city's anti-sodium and anti-transfat campaigns.

"Chefs would be handcuffed in their food preparation, and many are already in open rebellion over this legislation," said Orit Sklar, of My Food My Choice. "Ortiz and fellow anti-salt zealot Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City seek to undermine the food and restaurant business in the entire state."

The American Heart Association encourages Americans to reduce their sodium intake and has advocated the reduction of sodium used by food manufacturers and restaurants by 50 percent over a 10-year period.

MACH1
03-11-2010, 12:39 AM
I always like my food on the bland tasteless side.

This horse shit has to stop.

SteelerNation12
03-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Wow, really? Salt can actually help you from dehydrating. Yes it has its negatives as well.
But almost anything is bad for you if you don't take it in moderation.

tony hipchest
03-11-2010, 01:33 AM
what a moron.

"In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles," Ortiz said, according to a Nation's Restaurant News report.

stay at home and cook your own food, you lazy piece of shit.

Borski
03-11-2010, 02:00 AM
Guess they solved the economy and war on terror and now they can move on to more impotent things like making sure we eat healthy, sense we aren't responsible to do it for ourselves...

Galax Steeler
03-11-2010, 04:56 AM
If somebody don't want to eat at a restaurant cause it has to much salt in the food that is there choice. Why punish everyone else who likes a little salt in there food. This is just idiotic.:banging:

MasterOfPuppets
03-11-2010, 06:17 AM
If somebody don't want to eat at a restaurant cause it has to much salt in the food that is there choice. Why punish everyone else who likes a little salt in there food. This is just idiotic.:banging:

Ortiz has said the salt ban would allow restaurant patrons to decide how salty they want their meals to be.

they didn't say salt would be banned from the restarunt...just banned from the cook pre adding it to the food. i'f you want your shit salty...pick up the salt shaker on the table and have at it. i won't even get an order of fries from the mcdonalds near my house. the idiots who work there put so much salt on them you can't even tell they are potatoes , you might as well get an order of anchovies.

Venom
03-11-2010, 07:17 AM
I live in NYC and I havent heard anything about that . I guess I have to go out and stock up on salt and sneak it into the restaurants . :thumbsup:

GBMelBlount
03-11-2010, 07:19 AM
they didn't say salt would be banned from the restarunt...just banned from the cook pre adding it to the food. i'f you want your shit salty...pick up the salt shaker on the table and have at it. i won't even get an order of fries from the mcdonalds near my house. the idiots who work there put so much salt on them you can't even tell they are potatoes , you might as well get an order of anchovies.

It's a slippery slope.

Just wait til they legislate two sheets of toilet paper to wipe your ass and install monitors to make sure you don't break the law...

stlrtruck
03-11-2010, 08:34 AM
There are a few restuarants I visit that certain foods I won't order because they are too salty. It's called being a consumer, knowing what you like, and not being afraid to send it back if it isn't right or good tasting!

Godfather
03-11-2010, 10:10 AM
It's a slippery slope.

Just wait til they legislate two sheets of toilet paper to wipe your ass and install monitors to make sure you don't break the law...

Don't you mean three shells?

Vincent
03-11-2010, 10:11 AM
We are at the stage of life where salt is an "issue". We seldom add it to anything we cook because we use fresh ingredients. Some recipes call for salt and need it, but otherwise we don't use it in cooking or on the table. We also note that some restaurant food is too salty.and avoid it. That's our choice. Period.

Its the old adage - I disagree with you but would fight to the death to defend your right to voice your opinion. This nazi bull@#$% has got to stop.

Guess they solved the economy and war on terror and now they can move on to more impotent things like making sure we eat healthy, sense we aren't responsible to do it for ourselves...

As Borski notes, you tools were elected to represent US and to do our bidding. We didn't send you there to relegate us to hamster status. Texas has the right model. Their legislature meets something like two weeks a year. No time for bull@#$%. NY has way too much time and money on its hands.

BTW, anytime we want to "feel naughty", instead of corralling coeds into "VIP rooms", we go down to Zaxby's for some of their deadly salty chicken. :danceshout: :chicken: :jumper:

X-Terminator
03-11-2010, 11:05 AM

Yeah but why is the government even getting involved in this to begin with? Talk about overreaching your boundaries...they have absolutely no business telling any chef how they should prepare their food. It's ridiculous, and I hope that not only this bill gets shot down, that Ortiz is openly laughed at and mocked. I'm sick and tired of the government at any level thinking they should be involved in every aspect of a person's life.

Vincent
03-11-2010, 11:21 AM
i won't even get an order of fries from the mcdonalds near my house. the idiots who work there put so much salt on them you can't even tell they are potatoes , you might as well get an order of anchovies.

:rofl:

I hear ya. Same here with the McNimnulls near us. I avoid it because whatever I order, they @#$% it up. That particular franchise lacks the aggregate IQ to prepare and serve food.

When we go to 5 Guys, we ask for fries without salt. And to our amazement, they give us fries before salting, and they're cheerful about it. We have used this technique successfully at other fast food venues. It's particularly effective in better restaurants as well.

SCSTILLER
03-11-2010, 11:47 AM
It's a slippery slope.

I will just keep swearing then and getting demirits for vulgar language so I can wipe my ass (Demolition Man)

SCSTILLER
03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Don't you mean three shells?

Beat me to it

smokin3000gt
03-11-2010, 12:15 PM

That may be but lets not justify a statewide ban on salt because the retards at McD's over salts fries.

GBMelBlount
03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
:rofl:

When we go to 5 Guys, we ask for fries without salt. And to our amazement, they give us fries before salting, and they're cheerful about it.

Is that the Chinese place?

Their soup, "cream of sum yung guys" is supposedly very salty as well.

Godfather
03-11-2010, 01:17 PM

There soup, "cream of sum yung guy" is supposedly very salty as well.

You're thinking Five Happiness. Common name for Chinese restaurants...there's one in New Orleans and an unrelated one on the MS coast.

Five Guys is a burger joint. Very good, too. You can get stuff like mushrooms and grilled onions as toppings. I went to the one at Dulles last month.

Vincent
03-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Five Guys is a burger joint. Very good, too. You can get stuff like mushrooms and grilled onions as toppings. I went to the one at Dulles last month.

Grilled onions, shrooms, and A-1 on a 5 Guys bacon cheeseburger is close to a "steakhouse experience". But please, no salt on the fries. :chuckle: :rofl:

steelax04
03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Next up, banning meals over 550 calories.

MACH1
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM
It's a slippery slope.

Recycle, use both sides. :chuckle:

fansince'76
03-11-2010, 05:33 PM
I will just keep swearing then and getting demirits for vulgar language so I can wipe my ass (Demolition Man)

That's next - see the "no cussing week (http://cbs13.com/local/no.cussing.week.2.1519540.html)" in California.

"....I'm sorry to say the world has become a pu$$y-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself...."

T&B fan
03-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Next up, banning meals over 550 calories.

HAY !! don't be gveing them any ideas . they are going after soda already , new tax .as for the salt no you can't have it on your food but we will load it up on the high way to rust out your car fast ... and what will they tell all the workers in the saltmines in the state . hell syracuse was callled the salt city for 100 yrs .

and as for McDs frys they are salty bad ..BK will do the no salt thing and you always get hot frys ...

Godfather
03-11-2010, 09:59 PM
HAY !! don't be gveing them any ideas . they are going after soda already , new tax .as for the salt no you can't have it on your food but we will load it up on the high way to rust out your car fast ... and what will they tell all the workers in the saltmines in the state . hell syracuse was callled the salt city for 100 yrs .

and as for McDs frys they are salty bad ..BK will do the no salt thing and you always get hot frys ...

Rally's has the best fries. Look for them to be banned at some point.

Borski
03-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Rally's has the best fries. Look for them to be banned at some point.

I love Checkers fries (thats what they call Rallys down here)
their seasoning is amazing
http://www.checkers.com/images/fries_large.jpg

GBMelBlount
03-13-2010, 08:03 AM
GBMelBlount

Their soup, "cream of sum yung guys" is supposedly very salty as well.

Godfather

You're thinking Five Happiness. Common name for Chinese restaurants...

Or perhaps Five happiness is the nickname for the 5 yung guys that took years to perfect the "Cream of sum yung guys" soup recipe. :wink02: