PDA

View Full Version : Steelers ILB Farrior is hoping Foote returns

mesaSteeler
03-11-2010, 06:46 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_671060.html

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers ILB Farrior is hoping Foote returns

By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 11, 2010

James Farrior and Larry Foote played side-by-side in the Steelers starting lineup for five seasons. The inside linebacker tandem warmed up together before every game and became extremely close.

Their relationship continues to this day. When Foote became an unrestricted free agent after one season with Detroit, Farrior and Foote discussed the possibility of Foote returning to the Steelers to create more depth at linebacker.

"That's my boy. I'd love to have him back,'' Farrior said.

A reunion isn't out of the question. But the Steelers will have to wait in line behind at least two other teams ó Arizona and Washington.

Foote visited the Redskins on Tuesday and is scheduled to meet Thursday with the Cardinals, along with another former Steelers linebacker turned unrestricted free agent, Joey Porter.

"I've been calling him. I talked to him (Tuesday) morning when he was in Washington,'' said Farrior, who is visiting family in Virginia. "He definitely wanted to make the trip to Arizona. He wants to take all of his trips.''

Despite his friendships on the team, Foote's desire to return to the Steelers probably isn't as strong as that of free safety Ryan Clark, who accepted a below-market contract to remain in Pittsburgh.

Clark's agent, Joel Turner, said Clark's experience should have resulted in him signing a deal in the $20-$25 million range. Instead, Clark re-signed for approximately $14 million.

Foote asked for his release before the 2009 season because the Steelers didn't offer him a contract extension entering the final year of his contract. Foote also believed the Steelers would have asked him to take a pay cut if he remained for his final season.

According to NFL.com, Foote is hoping to exceed inside linebacker Scott Fujita's three-year deal with Cleveland worth $14 million, including $8 million guaranteed.

Foote might get his wish because Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt, who was Bill Cowher's offensive coordinator with the Steelers when Foote was there, is seeking a replacement for inside linebacker Karlos Dansby, who signed a free-agent contract with Miami.

If Foote does consider the Steelers, Farrior has no doubt he would be a perfect fit.

"A player like that could help the team win a championship,'' Farrior said.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

GBMelBlount
03-11-2010, 07:12 AM
"A player like that could help the team win a championship,'' Farrior said.

:shout: Panic - he's too old! :chuckle:

Foote is an "oldy but goody" imo. :thumbsup:

Good linebacker, good guy and I'd still love to see him in Black & Gold if the price is right.

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
:shout: Panic - he's too old! :chuckle:

Foote is an "oldy but goody" imo. :thumbsup:

Good linebacker, good guy and I'd still love to see him in Black & Gold if the price is right.

Yah converting an outside linebacker to inside is a waste and stupid. It's obvious that Timmons can't play on the inside and should move to the outside. And remain there as a backup until Harrison can't start no more

edit the above was about timmons, if foote came back imo he would start again at ilb

xbroughneck
03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Sorry guys.

I like Larry, I do. I just think getting younger is the way to go at ILB. We've got Farrior already. Timmons may or may not work on the inside, but to overpay for Foote doesn't make sense to me. He's a short term solution that wants good money THAT WONT START.

steelpride12
03-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I like Foote and he played well for the defense and the Steelers, but Timmons only had one full season as a starter so how can you fully judge him and say he is done or needs moved to the outside already?
Sure Foote can bring depth and experience, but it is a waste of time and money IMO.

KYsteelfan
03-11-2010, 11:04 AM
I love the idea of having Larry around for some depth, but hes asking for too much to be a backup

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I love the idea of having Larry around for some depth, but hes asking for too much to be a backup

I bet the Steelers wern't really on his mind until the steelers expressed interest.

Randle El came back at a reduced price, ryan clark came back for 6 less million than the dolphins were offering.

i can guess after the success foote had with the steelers and a misarble year in detroit he may not want another one of those years at washington

KYsteelfan
03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
I bet the Steelers wern't really on his mind until the steelers expressed interest.

Randle El came back at a reduced price, ryan clark came back for 6 less million than the dolphins were offering.

i can guess after the success foote had with the steelers and a misarble year in detroit he may not want another one of those years at washington

yeah the black and gold is very compelling. hopefully we can get him in here at a reduced rate and he can add some depth and true veteran experience into the mix. if we can stay healthy i think the defense should be pretty fierce this upcoming season

xbroughneck
03-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I'd rather have one of the top two inside linebacker options in the draft. Both will probably be quicker than both Farrior AND Foote.

I don't want a Charlie Batch on our linebacking corp. Get youth speed and motivation. Give Timmons another year to excel. (he really needs to work at shedding blocks).

steelreserve
03-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't mind having him back, but it looks like the odds are stacked pretty heavily against it. I certainly don't think he's worth a big-money contract when we've already got four starting LBs lined up.

Unless that message from the front office about "we're going to act as if there was a salary cap" was just a head-fake and we're going to totally blow it off. Then hell yes, sign Foote, and Westbrook, and any other free agent who's not a total idiot.

Steeldude
03-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Yah converting an outside linebacker to inside is a waste and stupid

farrior was an OLB for the jets before coming here.

why would you want foote, 2009/10's most burned LB, starting? frankly, i grew tired of him waiting for the ball carrier to come to him. i was also tired of seeing him getting mowed down and/or pushed back. IMO, he was average at best. more of a product of the system and the players around him than a stellar LB.

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 01:06 PM

why would you want foote, 2009/10's most burned LB, starting? frankly, i grew tired of him waiting for the ball carrier to come to him. i was also tired of seeing him getting mowed down and/or pushed back. IMO, he was average at best. more of a product of the system and the players around him than a stellar LB.

The Ultimate Farrior played inside whilst at Virginia.

OX1947
03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Yah converting an outside linebacker to inside is a waste and stupid. It's obvious that Timmons can't play on the inside and should move to the outside. And remain there as a backup until Harrison can't start no more

edit the above was about timmons, if foote came back imo he would start again at ilb

Man, I have been saying this for the last two years. Timmons is not a MLB. And foote and farrior were well oiled machines together. The chemistry, the camaraderie. One of my favorite Potsey and Foote moments was in the AFC title game against Denver, Potsey gives Foote props for the INT he made and then he goes "you gotta work on your running", hahahahhahahahhaha, that was the play Foote intercepted the ball and then ran 10 yards and fell, no one even touched him. And he admitted he is nervous with the ball. Great moment, one of my favorite sound bites of the 2005 season.

I would love foote back but Fox has earned his spot. I do not think it would be fair to bring in Foote to play back up. Unless Farrior is playing his last year in 2010 and the Steelers promise Fox his spot after. I guess its a good problem to have when you look at the big picture.

xbroughneck
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
At this point and time I'd rather have FOX in there with Farrior if people are ready to give up on Timmons. Move Timmons to the outside then pick up a LB in the early rounds of the draft. One that can play inside.

We don't need Foote back.

Shoes
03-11-2010, 03:27 PM
At this point and time I'd rather have FOX in there with Farrior if people are ready to give up on Timmons. Move Timmons to the outside then pick up a LB in the early rounds of the draft. One that can play inside.

We don't need Foote back.

Don't worry XB, Foote won't be back.

steeltheone
03-11-2010, 03:33 PM
All this reminiscing about Foote and Farrior 5 years ago is great conversation, but we need to move on. Can’t keep signing old players and expect to excel. We gotta get younger.

OneForTheToe
03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't mind having him back, but it looks like the odds are stacked pretty heavily against it. I certainly don't think he's worth a big-money contract when we've already got four starting LBs lined up.

Unless that message from the front office about "we're going to act as if there was a salary cap" was just a head-fake and we're going to totally blow it off. Then hell yes, sign Foote, and Westbrook, and any other free agent who's not a total idiot.

I am not usually in favor of picking up others teams discards, but if Westbrook has anything left (which he probably doesn't), that would be my pick.

Steeldude
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
The Ultimate Farrior played inside whilst at Virginia.

sure about that?

In 1995 season as a junior he earned All-ACC second-team honors after he started every game at LOLB and led the team in tackles (122 stops) and also had half sack, nine passes defensed and an interception. In 1994 he earned all-ACC honorable mention as a sophomore when he started every game at LOLB

looks like your theory that an OLB can't play the middle is a little off :smile:

SteelGhost
03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
All this reminiscing about Foote and Farrior 5 years ago is great conversation, but we need to move on. Canít keep signing old players and expect to excel. We gotta get younger.

Amen to that bro :hatsoff:

Young blood must be a priority now IMHO

Prok
03-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Agreed. Timmons is due for a dominant year.

Psyychoward86
03-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I dont think the skins are the most desperate for him, but Dan Snyder wont be afraid to throw around some money

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Agreed. Timmons is due for a dominant year.

Disagreed. Timmons is a bust as an inside linebacker.

Psyychoward86
03-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Disagreed. Timmons is a bust as an inside linebacker.

because he started his 1st full year without our 2 best defensive players?

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 09:09 PM
because he started his 1st full year without our 2 best defensive players?

No Because it isn't a position he is familiar with. Teams will exploit him next season even more after the hideous film he displayed last year.

There is no excuse for not having Troy or Aaron.

It showed how good our players really were.

Good Players:
LaMarr Woodley
Casey Hampton
James Farrior
James Harrison

After that the list grows short and they all end up on the dissapointing list.

Psyychoward86
03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
No Because it isn't a position he is familiar with. Teams will exploit him next season even more after the hideous film he displayed last year.

There is no excuse for not having Troy or Aaron.

It showed how good our players really were.

Good Players:
LaMarr Woodley
Casey Hampton
James Farrior
James Harrison

After that the list grows short and they all end up on the dissapointing list.

He also came into the league a year younger than most LB's, he'll keep getting better. I really dont see what all the denial about our defense being worse without our2 best players is, it's true, what do you expect? I know Tomlin says the level of expectation doesnt change, but reality begs to differ sometimes. Last year we would've been in the playoffs with a much better record if Troy and Aaron were healthy. Farrior had a pretty horrendous year. Harrison played well for the 1st half of the season. Woodley played well for the 2nd half of the season. And you were so high on Ike Taylor taking care of Anquan Boldin in another thread?

Galax Steeler
03-12-2010, 04:33 AM
Farrior better be careful for what he wishes for cause if Foote comes back then Farrior could see himself riding the pine alot this year.