PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Hank Fraley could be next, Foote in Arizona

mesaSteeler
03-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Hank Fraley could be next, Foote in Arizona today
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d11-Pittsburgh-Steelers-freeagency-digest-Hank-Fraley-could-be-next-Foote-in-Arizona-today
March 11, 6:09 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski

PITTSBURGH - After a historic day when it comes to the free-agency period for the Steelers, Wednesday proved boring, except for the ongoing saga about the Ben Roethlisberger situation.

Examiner.com has learned via an NFL source though that former Browns lineman Hank Fraley may finish up his career where he began in the black and gold. Fraley has yet to confirm the info as he did not return a message late Wednesday night.

But If the source is correct, the 10 year veteran could provide more depth on the offensive line for an organization he admires.

Fraley signed as a rookie free agent with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2000 out of Robert Morris and started the first three preseason games, but was released a week before the regular season started.

The Steelers decided to keep veterans and then coach Bill Cowher was hoping to re-sign him off the waiver wire, but he was picked up by the Eagles before being traded to the Browns later in his career.

"I was a little disappointed when I got cut, because I thought I had a good chance to make the team," Fraley told the Examiner in an exclusive earlier this year. "But when you 're out of Robert Morris, we're not really the football powerhouse like Ohio State. So I was really excited they gave me a chance to go in there and compete. I always thank the Rooneys for letting me go in there and play. Without that opportunity, I probably wouldn't be here today.''

Following his trade to the Browns from the Eagles, Fraley made 52 starts in 63 games for Cleveland at center, and last year spelled relief at the guard slot and also lined up in tight end positions for the Browns meaning he could be a valuable spot starter gotten at the right price.

Wille Parker spent two days meeting with Redskins coaches on Monday and Tuesday, but as reported yesterday was not tendered a deal. Today, the Skins hosted former Penn State running back Larry Johnson.

Although sources close to the situation have said Parker and the Steelers have yet to talk about a return, they have also not ruled it out. The league source has told Examiner.com the Raiders may be interested in talking with him later this week.

Don't expect Parker to sign anywhere soon, at least until the remaining of the big three, LaDainian Tomlinson (who is meeting with the Vikings today) and Johnson have contracts in hands.

In other free-agency news, it now appears that despite the fact Larry Foote wants a large salary, Pittsburgh along with Arizona are still in the running for his services. Foote visited Washington on Wednesday, but left without a contract. He is in Arizona today along with former Steeler Joey Porter.

ROETHLISBERGER UPDATE: Like sands in an hour glass, more info keeps coming out of Georgia in regards to the Ben Roethlisberger allegations, with the latest being two local police officers, who stayed sober all night were with him at the bar the night of the alledged incident.

One officer, via his attorney has stated he did not recall seeing the female with Roethlisberger, which counters what Roethlisberger himself has said according to unamed sources at KDKA television, which was reporting Roethlisberger concedes that he did have contact with the woman that was not consummated and that afterward the woman slipped and fell, injuring her head.
More to come as this ongoing story develops.
Click here to find out more!
More About: Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roethlisberger Fraley
ShareThis

Steelers>NFL
03-11-2010, 08:03 AM
This could be good news. In a small way.
But to ruin it with Big Ben's problem at the end, pisses me off!!! :mad:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Fraley to the burgh seems odd. He is out in Cleveland because of Alex Mack, but here all he would do is backup at C too and we already have Legursky for that. :confused:

SteelersJW
03-11-2010, 01:52 PM
This is the greatest news i've heard in ages. My grandfather coached offensive line at Robert Morris and helped produce Hank Fraley. He still keeps in touch with him and says nothing but great things about the guy. We've got to bring Hank in!

vrabinec
03-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Can't say I remember Fraley. Anyone know if he's any good? He'd be depth I assume.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Can't say I remember Fraley. Anyone know if he's any good? He'd be depth I assume.

He's good, but not great. A UDFA that was the last cut in camp a decade ago and has gone on to carve out a career in the NFL. Big guy that can handle the big men up front, not overly agile. Replaced in Philly by Jamaal Jackson and now replaced in Cleveland by Alex Mack.

Must be just depth or camp body, because I dont see how he has any more value or upside than Legursky at this point.

tony hipchest
03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
He's good, but not great. A UDFA that was the last cut in camp a decade ago and has gone on to carve out a career in the NFL. Big guy that can handle the big men up front, not overly agile. Replaced in Philly by Jamaal Jackson and now replaced in Cleveland by Alex Mack.

.was he also replaced by lecharles bentley or did he come over after bentleys injury?

it seems legursky gets no love. i guess he is only good as one of arians 12 pseudo-FB's.

Galax Steeler
03-12-2010, 04:27 AM
I say bring him in for competition it couldn't hurt.

Northside Jonny
03-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Fraley to the burgh seems odd. He is out in Cleveland because of Alex Mack, but here all he would do is backup at C too and we already have Legursky for that. :confused:

He can also be used at Guard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
was he also replaced by lecharles bentley or did he come over after bentleys injury?

it seems legursky gets no love. i guess he is only good as one of arians 12 pseudo-FB's.

I think he was brought over as a fill in when Bentley went to the staph meeting. Yeah, I take Legursky over Fraley at this point. Still hoping that Matt Tennant slips to the 4th and the Steelers take him.

Northside Jonny
03-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I think he was brought over as a fill in when Bentley went to the staph meeting. Yeah, I take Legursky over Fraley at this point. Still hoping that Matt Tennant slips to the 4th and the Steelers take him.

Hell yeah I love Matt Tennant!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Hell yeah I love Matt Tennant!

shhhhhhh don't tell anybody. He's so far under the radar, I'm hoping scouts have to find a shovel to draft him.

Northside Jonny
03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
shhhhhhh don't tell anybody. He's so far under the radar, I'm hoping scouts have to find a shovel to draft him.

UNDERSTOOD!:hide:

Fire Haley
03-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Foote in Arizona?

Can Willie Parker be far behind?

The Whiz never met an ex-Steeler he didn't like....

Sean Morey
Brian St Pierre
Dan Kreider
Clark Haggans
Bryant McFadden

Steelers West

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Too bad they'll never win a trophy in Arizona, though...

Nadroj 20
03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Too bad they'll never win a trophy in Arizona, though...

The person who would have given them the best chance just retired so i agree anytime soon i dont see Arizona being much of a threat to win a superbowl or even a playoff game.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Sorry brother...word is out and he looks destined to be a late 2nd early third round pick.

The Saints & Colts both have shown interest in Pouncy at the end of the 1st round....and Washington...Kansas City...Jacksonville...all have OC needs .

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2010, 02:55 PM
The person who would have given them the best chance just retired so i agree anytime soon i dont see Arizona being much of a threat to win a superbowl or even a playoff game.

The 49ers will be the team to beat in the west this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Sorry brother...word is out and he looks destined to be a late 2nd early third round pick.

The Saints & Colts both have shown interest in Pouncy at the end of the 1st round....and Washington...Kansas City...Jacksonville...all have OC needs .

NOOOOOOO.....he is undersized, slow and weak. Much better C prospects out there for Jax. KC can have Hank Fraley. :banging:

vader29
03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Larry Foote will visit the Steelers Monday and could reach an agreement if he passes a physical:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10071/1042342-100.stm

Psyychoward86
03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Larry Foote will visit the Steelers Monday and could reach an agreement if he passes a physical:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10071/1042342-100.stm

ooo kinda nervous (in a good and bad way). Omg, is Farrrior really 36 already??? What a fruitful career he's had :drink:

Northside Jonny
03-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Have you guys heard of Kevin Mattews from Texas A&M? His dad Bruce is a Hall of Famer. Kevin is a projected 5th or 6th round pick he sound interesting.