PDA

View Full Version : Merlin Olsen Passes Away

steelerdave1969
03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Howard Balzer of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat reports via Twitter Merlin Olsen passed away early this morning at the age of 69.

A sad day for all football fans. Olsen was a member of the Fearsome Foursome, the Rams famous defensive line.

Olsen was a Pro Football Hall of Famer(class of 1982). He made 14 consecutive Pro Bowls. He later became an NFL game analyst and TV actor.

I dont know about anyone else here, but I loved this guy as a player and TV person. Merlin Olsen was one of the Best TV Announcers I can remember listening to. My prayers and thoughts are with his family as they go through these hard times.

Vincent
03-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Rest in peace Mr. Olsen. You were a great one on and off the field.

Ben, take note.

OneForTheToe
03-11-2010, 01:15 PM
He was my favorite NFL broadcaster in his day. A testimate that you don't have to be loud, brash, hip and obnoxious to be a good sports broadcaster. He always reminded me a bit of "Mean Joe" Green and Troy as well. Both (and Troy) had docile personalities off the feild, but put them between the lines and hold onto your butts.

RIP Father Murphy.

devilsdancefloor
03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
RIP

steelerdave1969
03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree very much with all your comments. He was so soft spoken and such a knowledgeable gentleman. I loved to watch him on Little House on The Prairie as well..

steeltheone
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Dont remember his playing days, but was a great broadcaster. Seemed like a great guy!

fansince'76
03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
He was my favorite NFL broadcaster in his day. A testimate that you don't have to be loud, brash, hip and obnoxious to be a good sports broadcaster.

Same here, and for the same reasons. :tombstone

Crow-Magnon
03-11-2010, 07:01 PM
A lot of great broadcaster comments. And all this time I thought I was alone in my praise of Merlin Olsen behind the mike.

How could such a beast on the field be such a gentle man?

And how did he contract mesothelioma?

tony hipchest
03-11-2010, 07:08 PM
A lot of great broadcaster comments. And all this time I thought I was alone in my praise of Merlin Olsen behind the mike.

How could such a beast on the field be such a gentle man?

And how did he contract mesothelioma? asbestos exposure working construction when he was a kid. dan fouts gave a lenghty interview today. said olsen was mad that he contracted the disease cause he immediately knew it was terminal, and how could work he did over 50 years ago come back to haunt him now. (he was a model of good health and it was easy for him to trace back where he had been exposed- i heard in an ealier report he was doing the work as far back to the age of 11-12.)

fouts summed it up nicely when he called him a rennaisance man. may all the ftd bouquets he helped sell, greet him at the pearly gates.

Crow-Magnon
03-11-2010, 07:11 PM
asbestos exposure working construction when he was a kid. dan fouts gave a lenghty interview today. said olsen was mad that he contracted the disease cause he immediately knew it was terminal, and how could work he did over 50 years ago come back to haunt him now. (he was a model of good health and it was easy for him to trace back where he had been exposed- i heard in an ealier report he was doing the work as far back to the age of 11-12.)

fouts summed it up nicely when he called him a rennaisance man. may all the ftd bouquets he helped sell, greet him at the pearly gates.

Wow. That sucks! All that time ago?

M.C. Smith
03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
A true NFL legend, may he rest in peace...

HometownGal
03-11-2010, 10:05 PM
He was my favorite NFL broadcaster in his day. A testimate that you don't have to be loud, brash, hip and obnoxious to be a good sports broadcaster. He always reminded me a bit of "Mean Joe" Green and Troy as well. Both (and Troy) had docile personalities off the feild, but put them between the lines and hold onto your butts.

RIP Father Murphy.

Thank you for stating perfectly how I have always felt about Merle. :drink:

RIP, sweet guy. :tombstone:

NJarhead
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Rest in Peace Gentle Giant. and Thank you.

steelpride12
03-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow I was not alive for his reign, but I know this was one gentle giant. I wish sacks were recorded then, he also went to 14 straight probowl's what a tank! He was such a soft spoken man, and pursuing an acting job and commentator job was successful. RIP!

steelerdude15
03-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Rest in peace Merl.

Galax Steeler
03-12-2010, 05:01 AM
RIP- Olsen

NJarhead
03-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Wow I was not alive for his reign, but I know this was one gentle giant. I wish sacks were recorded then, he also went to 14 straight probowl's what a tank! He was such a soft spoken man, and pursuing an acting job and commentator job was successful. RIP!

I saw more of him on Little House on the Prairie than on the FB Field myself. Always like him though.