PDA

View Full Version : Willie Parker's Stock isn't that high...

xbroughneck
03-12-2010, 01:58 PM
...I'm starting to think fast Willie will be back in the burgh.

I don't think anyone is going to offer him more than 4 mill per year, and the teams on the market for a running back aren't looking for a #1, which is what he wants.

I think there are good odds that Willie will be back in the B&G this season.

pete74
03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
if we make an offer, and i hope we do, he will be back. rb is by far the worst position to play in the nfl. you usually get 1 good contract if your really good and thats it. your body get destroyed 20-30 times a game and you considered over the hill at 29. hampton just signed a big money contract at 33 and parker at 29 cant even get an offer. dont get me wrong im not a huge parker fan by any means but it must really suck to be a rb in the nfl

Steeldude
03-12-2010, 02:54 PM
i am hoping parker is not back here. i would rather have moore, a more versatile RB, be the 2nd RB.

steelreserve
03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
hmm, I wonder if the lack of offers has anything to do with the fact that it's obvious that he sucks. Or at least obvious to anyone who isn't wearing black-and-gold blinders. Maybe there was something to that all these years. I am amazed that there are STILL people who actually sincerely believe that he's good.

Please, please, let some other team be stupid enough to make Parker their problem instead of ours. I am all too worried that everyone else has figured out he's useless, but if he's still available, we'll feel some compulsion to pick him up while all the other teams laugh at us. We'll justify it to ourselves by saying "he knows the offense," or something like that. But we'd be idiots. It's essentially like voluntarily renewing a curse. I would rather see him out of the league than back on our roster, even as the last man on the bench. Time to shake that bad habit and move on.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Oh........just wait, he's gonna come back like Carey Davis just for the benefit of steelreserve. :couch:

Not surprising that a 30 year old RB with lots of carries, poor receiving skills, lost a step and injury history the past couple seasons has limited value.

TheWarDen86
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I was pretty close to starting a thread about him myself. I'm a little surprised that he hasn't made the news for even having met with a team, much less fielded any offers.

steelreserve
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Oh........just wait, he's gonna come back like Carey Davis just for the benefit of steelreserve. :couch:

I honestly wonder. Seriously, sometimes I think we're so slow to catch on about this that even if Parker died, we'd re-sign him as a zombie and keep trying to run him up the middle.

TheWarDen86
03-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Oh........just wait, he's gonna come back like

Not surprising that a 30 year old RB with lots of carries, poor receiving skills, lost a step and injury history the past couple seasons has limited value.

He only has receiving issues beyond 5 yards. :chuckle:

His ability declines exponentially each additional foot beyond that.

SteelGhost
03-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I'd prefer the glide and suddeness of RedZone Redman :chuckle: .... in the 3rd. RB spot of course. IMO Mewelde Moore has earned the 2nd. spot.

Dino 6 Rings
03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
hmm, I wonder if the lack of offers has anything to do with the fact that it's obvious that he sucks. Or at least obvious to anyone who isn't wearing black-and-gold blinders. Maybe there was something to that all these years. I am amazed that there are STILL people who actually sincerely believe that he's good.

Please, please, let some other team be stupid enough to make Parker their problem instead of ours. I am all too worried that everyone else has figured out he's useless, but if he's still available, we'll feel some compulsion to pick him up while all the other teams laugh at us. We'll justify it to ourselves by saying "he knows the offense," or something like that. But we'd be idiots. It's essentially like voluntarily renewing a curse. I would rather see him out of the league than back on our roster, even as the last man on the bench. Time to shake that bad habit and move on.

Man you really do hate the guy !

steelreserve
03-12-2010, 04:44 PM

I know! At least as a running back. He's probably a great guy or something, but yeah. My frustration with that guy on the football field is of cartoonish proportions.

XxKnightxX
03-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Im not surprised at all, Willie is known as Fast Willie Parker. Hes lost his speed, so yeah there goes your best talent that made you a running back. That is one of the reasons why Parker hasnt been signed. He commands for too much help for him to get through the first line and the way the offenses are evolving then theres no use for him. Ill take him back though.

tony hipchest
03-12-2010, 05:21 PM
i think i will keep my avatar forever, just for steelreserve. :chuckle:

XxKnightxX
03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
i think i will keep my avatar forever, just for steelreserve. :chuckle:

Lol just make those tires have some tread marks on em and its a masterpiece.

Psyychoward86
03-12-2010, 06:02 PM

this is news to me :rolleyes:

Northside Jonny
03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Why would his stock be high he can't stay healthy.

SteelC7
03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
hes gonna be a backup genius, not our starter, hes a good change of pace back, say it with me: power, speed; power, speed; power, speed

xbroughneck
03-12-2010, 07:17 PM
hes gonna be a backup genius, not our starter, hes a good change of pace back, say it with me: power, speed; power, speed; power, speed

Which is why I want him back as a decent #2 to have if we lose Mendy for an extended period of time. Willie can be an every down back. I don't think Moore can.

That said...Willie has some of the worst between the tackle vision I've seen from a starting running back in awhile. He's better than he use to be, but he's still not good at waiting for a hole to develop then HITTING that hole. He's the outside runner, occassionally blast through an open hole up the middle RB.

If he comes back for 2 million a year I'd take him in a second.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-12-2010, 08:05 PM
honestly, i thought larry johnson had little-to-nothing left in the tank. the fact that the 'skins picked him over willie means either 1) he wants too much money, or 2) nobody really believes this guy is worth it.

the smart money is on the probability that he'll sign a 3 year deal to come back to pittsburgh, and that the steelers will also add another running back to the mix once the smoke clears later after the draft...

steelreserve
03-12-2010, 08:13 PM
honestly, i thought larry johnson had little-to-nothing left in the tank. the fact that the 'skins picked him over willie means either 1) he wants too much money, or 2) nobody really believes this guy is worth it.

the smart money is on the probability that he'll sign a 3 year deal to come back to pittsburgh, and that the steelers will also add another running back to the mix once the smoke clears later after the draft...

If I have to sit through three more years of this shit, I am seriously going to set something on fire.

devilsdancefloor
03-12-2010, 08:16 PM
If I have to sit through three more years of this shit, I am seriously going to set something on fire.

lol steelreserve i can see you grabbing your lighter......

steelerdude15
03-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Can you set M & T Bank Stadium on fire?

wootawnee
03-12-2010, 09:51 PM
You guys crack me up....Willie did have a solid day vs San Diego in the 08 playoffs...........I loved that game.....One of my Favorites......Keisel was a stud too....

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-13-2010, 12:43 AM
i liked the combination of willie and mendy against the dolphins...if they could have that kind of running attack, balancing the carries like they did in that game, then i could live with that. though i miss the days of franco, foster, morris, bettis - more of a "power" running style, i can embrace the new style this team is employing. parker, if he could embrace the role of a backup, could provide this team with a nice one-two punch as is being used by most nfl teams today...

Galax Steeler
03-13-2010, 05:45 AM
I think I would rather draft a young running back in the draft like round 4 or up. We need someone with fresh legs and hopefully ain't injury prone.

truesteelerfan
03-13-2010, 11:30 AM
On NFL live one of the dudes listed him as the best available running back in FA this year based upon the amount of possible anticipated production in the future....

I still like him, if he'll take back up money, I'd take him back for 2-3 more years.

pepsyman1
03-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I still like Willie as well. I don't think we ever used him properly. He became the guy after Jerome Bettis and they obviously aren't the same type of back. I always thought that we should have been using him more like the Eagles used Brian Westbrook. More outside runs and screens to take advantage of his speed. A previous poster is right, he's never been patient enough to SEE the holes develop inside the tackles...although he is a little better at it now.

Psyychoward86
03-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I still like Willie as well. I don't think we ever used him properly. He became the guy after Jerome Bettis and they obviously aren't the same type of back. I always thought that we should have been using him more like the Eagles used Brian Westbrook. More outside runs and screens to take advantage of his speed. A previous poster is right, he's never been patient enough to SEE the holes develop inside the tackles...although he is a little better at it now.

i think we've learned a lot about throwing the ball to Willie :wink:

steelerchad
03-13-2010, 02:15 PM
I've felt that in recent years decent backs are a dime a dozen. With the new NFL "rules" the passing game has reduced the importance of the running game. Some balance is still key, but more teams use a stable of backs than the old feature back system. I'd take Willie at a low contract for depth at this point. Safety net in my opinion only if Rashard gets hurt or needs a breather.
The contract problem for Parker is 3 fold. His skills are diminished and were never great to begin with, Backs in todays NFL are highly expendable, and there were more veteran RB's with more skill than Willie on the market this year than any year in recent memory. When Thomas Jones can only get a 2 year deal for 5mil to start in KC it shows the lack of a market for someone of Parker's age and skill. If the Skins weren't willing to give him a contract, he's in trouble. That team has made more bad free agent deals than any team but the Raiders.

Psyychoward86
03-13-2010, 02:48 PM
This year's crop of RB's are very underrated. I dont know why almost every mock draft only seems to have CJ Spiller going in the first. At runningback, we're pretty much in the same situation as we were in '07 (depth consisted of one feature back, one complementary back). I dont it should come as any surprise if we draft an RB if it's an BPA at rounds 2-4

Set-Man
03-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I still remember watching Willie in his first preseason where he was hitting holes and getting 10+ yards each carry. I was wondering who the hell is this kid and why isn't he playing? He did a good job for the Steelers but it is time to let him go. He doesn't hit the holes and is tentative when he does. We keep talking about getting younger and then we want all these older players back. Today Mewelde Moore is a better all around back.

Free Willie.

Get another back later in the draft or test Redman (please do not start another Redman thread....)

xbroughneck
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
So, LT got 2.5 mil a year to be a backup for the Jets.

Sorry Willie. You may be back in Pittsburgh for $1.7 mil per year....or maybe not at all.

Sheesh....I say get a running back in the 3rd round. We could get a power runner that knows how to block and had decent vision. We don't need to necessarily get a speed back.