PDA

View Full Version : Have to cut or trade ben

joeyssteelcurtain
03-13-2010, 09:05 AM
I first want to say that I am a big fan of Ben's. But fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me I mean 2 times in a couple year's something just don't add up. We have to cut or trade him And that sounds crazy but if we don't do something it's going to come back and bite us in the ass. What do you guys think

PisnNapalm
03-13-2010, 09:14 AM
How about waiting to see if he's guilty or not before ya cut him? If he's guilty then I'll be the first one to burn my jersey and send the ashes to the Steelers asking them to cut Ben from the team.

stlrtruck
03-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Why is it that in today's society people are so eager to cut ties when the times get rough and tough? Look there is no reason why we need to cut Ben as of now. Let's be patient with the system, be patient with Ben. Yes he's put himself in a bad situation, not once but twice. Whether or not he's guilty of any of it only he and the two women involved know 100%.

The better poll would be, should Ben be taking classes on learning how to handle his fame or in the film room studying last years games?

BTW, I voted NO!

MacDaddy1954
03-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Whether Ben remains with the team or not depends on how the Rooney family feels. The Steelers have always been a class act, historically respected as one of the classiest in the league. How Dan and Art Rooney evaluate the impact of all this on the image of the Steeler organization will determine whether Ben stays or leaves. Yes, I know he is owed a lot of money. But if merchandise sales and advertising revenues drop, the owners may well decide to cut their losses and move forward without Ben.

Ben's behavior, whether ultimately rising to the level warranting the filing of criminal charges in Georgia or not, is out of control. His lack of judgment and his "this is about me" attitude unless checked, will ultimately bring more shame and sorrow on our wonderful team. So here is hoping that 1) there are no charges filed, 2) Ben takes steps, concrete visible and observable steps to grow up, and 3) the Rooneys are more forgiving that I suspect they are.

pete74
03-13-2010, 10:08 AM
They better not cut him and I would bet anything they won't. This is sexual assult which is a very bad midemeanor but it's not rape. He may be suspended if found guilty but he won't be cut.

WindyCitySteelerFan
03-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I would bet the farm that Ben is not only NOT going anywhere, but this story will be forgotten come training camp.

Stang909
03-13-2010, 10:32 AM
No. end of discussion.

fansince'76
03-13-2010, 10:33 AM
:rolleyes:

devilsdancefloor
03-13-2010, 10:41 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2a8paw3.jpg

which button do you plan to push? or is it both?

SteelCityMan786
03-13-2010, 10:43 AM
I say no for now, let the legal process play out, then reinvestigate all options again.

M.C. Smith
03-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I would bet the farm that Ben is not only NOT going anywhere, but this story will be forgotten come training camp.

I agree. Some folks need to relax and wait for the facts to come out, before they start suggesting that the team should release the franchise quarterback.

chacha
03-13-2010, 10:46 AM
NO:doh:

GoSlash27
03-13-2010, 10:55 AM
He's being targeted. People are overreacting to the fact that he's been accused twice.
Remember that the first charge was proven completely groundless and this charge looks to be equally trumped up.
We should stand up for the guy unless the situation changes. If he's proven to have raped anybody, I'll be among the first to say deep-six him and retire the jersey number in shame.

Steelerfreak58
03-13-2010, 10:57 AM
This is America folks you are INNOCENT until proven GUILTY... sheesh.

Vincent
03-13-2010, 11:00 AM
He's being targeted. People are overreacting to the fact that he's been accused twice.
Remember that the first charge was proven completely groundless and this charge looks to be equally trumped up.
We should stand up for the guy unless the situation changes. If he's proven to have raped anybody, I'll be among the first to say deep-six him and retire the jersey number in shame.

I don't disagree that he might be being targeted. Be that as it may, he puts himself in circumstances that invite such. Again, he is the face of the Pittsburgh Steelers. With that mantle and its compensation comes responsibility, not the least of which is being above reproach. This doesn't seem to be a problem for the other marquee QBs in the league, save Romo.

I don't understand this "cut" mentality anymore than I understand allowing the Fanecas of the world get away without getting as much value as possible.

Every player on the roster has a market value. With Ben's upside, regardless of his immaturity, its rather high. Ben would improve the success of any team in the league, including the Colts and the cheats (yeah, that can be argued, and has been ad nauseum in other threads). If there is a chance this all heads South (no pun), why not get the value out of Ben thats on the table? Trade him. There are probably a dozen teams that'd leap at that opportunity.

To just cut him is cutting the teams nose off to spite its face. IMO, such a move is a "statement", and as such would be equally immature. This is a business. Ben is an asset with a market value. The Rooneys have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to exact that value.

truesteelerfan
03-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Absolutely not. Even tho he's in the public eye...for him, playing football is a job...a job like each of us go to everyday. Under most circumstances as long as we are able to perform the functions of our job on a daily basis as expected....activities that occur outside of the workplace should not interfere with our ability to remain employed. IF Ben is convicted and ends up in prison, then he is no longer able to fulfil the expectations of his employment, then he should be let go.

I would feel this way if it's Ben we're talking about, or the waterboy.....

I know others will disagree, but just my opinion.

Prok
03-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't disagree that he might be being targeted. Be that as it may, he puts himself in circumstances that invite such. Again, he is the face of the Pittsburgh Steelers. With that mantle and its compensation comes responsibility, not the least of which is being above reproach. This doesn't seem to be a problem for the other marquee QBs in the league, save Romo.

I don't understand this "cut" mentality anymore than I understand allowing the Fanecas of the world get away without getting as much value as possible.

Every player on the roster has a market value. With Ben's upside, regardless of his immaturity, its rather high. Ben would improve the success of any team in the league, including the Colts and the cheats (yeah, that can be argued, and has been ad nauseum in other threads). If there is a chance this all heads South (no pun), why not get the value out of Ben thats on the table? Trade him. There are probably a dozen teams that'd leap at that opportunity.

To just cut him is cutting the teams nose off to spite its face. IMO, such a move is a "statement", and as such would be equally immature. This is a business. Ben is an asset with a market value. The Rooneys have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to exact that value.

Me and my brother were discussing your point recently. If the Bears can mortgage their future for Cutler, you think a QB desperate team like the Redskins wouldn't give us a king's randsom for Ben?

Not that i'd ever trade him, of course. But imo there would be 10-15 teams lined up around the block to bid for his services.

truesteelerfan
03-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Me and my brother were discussing your point recently. If the Bears can mortgage their future for Cutler, you think a QB desperate team like the Redskins wouldn't give us a king's randsom for Ben?

Not that i'd ever trade him, of course. But imo there would be 10-15 teams lined up around the block to bid for his services.

Interesting point...While I wouldn't want to cut him....for a "king's ransom", I'd be talked into trading him...for several 1st round picks, plus something like the pick of the litter on the other team including DL,OL, QB, etc.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Why is it that in today's society people are so eager to cut ties when the times get rough and tough?

I think I can answer that.....Its a desperate attempt to prove that they "get it" and we dont.

The bad thing is that we who wait until the entire investigation is complete and THEN make a decision....will have to deal with these posts for awhile.

Anyone want to join me?....plenty of room here on the brick wall.
:banging:

GBMelBlount
03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
The "sky is falling" threads on Steelersfever are both frequent and humorous.

After a loss, after a hangnail, whatever.

I think the rush to judgment and consequences being discussed are both harsh and premature.

ricksteelers55
03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Even if I'm not going to wear my Ben's jersey the guy still hasnt been charged of anything yet.The first lawsuit is still in process and the 2nd one is still in the investigation process so until then the guy is still innocent.That being said cutting him right now would be stupid.

If Ben is found guilty of the 2nd charge we might want to cut him or try to trade him,but for me the best case scenario would be he is innocent of both cases and see if we can get something big via trade for him but that is just me.I know a lot of steelers fan in here are pro-Ben and even if he's guilty they will still say that we should keep him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Even if I'm not going to wear my Ben's jersey the guy still hasnt been charged of anything yet.The first lawsuit is still in process and the 2nd one is still in the investigation process so until then the guy is still innocent.That being said cutting him right now would be stupid.

If Ben is found guilty of the 2nd charge we might want to cut him or try to trade him,but for me the best case scenario would be he is innocent of both cases and see if we can get something big via trade for him but that is just me.I know a lot of steelers fan in here are pro-Ben and even if he's guilty they will still say that we should keep him.

Not me. On the day that there is no doubt...either through confession or conclusion of the investigation....I will be the first to say cut him.

The Steelers organization has always carried a tradition of integrity for me and if Ben is the one who taints that then I will happily watch him leave.

BUT....until then...the MATURE....INTELLIGENT....PROPER thing to do....is wait, and pass judgement at the correct time.

Psyychoward86
03-13-2010, 12:54 PM
http://www.allaboutbipolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sky-is-falling.jpg

SteelC7
03-13-2010, 12:54 PM
really? u guys must be really bored, this guy is the best QB weve had since bradshaw, and u want him gone cuz of...what? he has yet to be CONVICTED of ANYTHING...ok so lets get rid of santonio holmes, jeff reed, james harrison, and a couple others who have had their names in the headlines for something off the field. hypocrites

devilsdancefloor
03-13-2010, 01:04 PM
I think I can answer that.....Its a desperate attempt to prove that they "get it" and we dont.

The bad thing is that we who wait until the entire investigation is complete and THEN make a decision....will have to deal with these posts for awhile.

here ya go LLT i bought this kit it works great so i thought i would share

http://i39.tinypic.com/35aorxz.gif

Nadroj 20
03-13-2010, 01:46 PM
I voted NO and btw its 30 nos and 5 yes(:doh:)....so im in the huge majority

He hasnt been charged with anything so lets wait to put him on the trading block shall we?

mikegrimey
03-13-2010, 04:35 PM
The OP doesn't like Ben, and thinks he should be cut, suprise suprise.

You know sometimes I wish you whiners would get your wish just to see the pain on your faces when we're back to looking helpless in the playoffs because of a mediocre or unspectacular QB. Then, I remember how it felt growing up watching Neil O'Donnel, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomzak, and Tommy Maddox----and I don't ever want to go back to that.

pittguy578
03-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I first want to say that I am a big fan of Ben's. But fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me I mean 2 times in a couple year's something just don't add up. We have to cut or trade him And that sounds crazy but if we don't do something it's going to come back and bite us in the ass. What do you guys think

We should not cut Ben. He appears to be more than willing to take one for the team :tt04:

NEPAsteeler
03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm not even going to bother with this one. :doh:

HometownGal
03-13-2010, 06:20 PM

I'm banging on that brick wall right along with ya buddy. :banging: :banging: :banging:

Godfather
03-13-2010, 06:23 PM
How about waiting to see if he's guilty or not before ya cut him? If he's guilty then I'll be the first one to burn my jersey and send the ashes to the Steelers asking them to cut Ben from the team.

Exactly!!

I'm mad at him for hooking up with a random female after getting burned by a false accusation. And if it turns out that he did it, I want him off the team. But we should wait and see how this plays out before we jump to any conclusions. Hopefully we'll get lucky and there will be some kind of exculpatory evidence like there was with McNutty.

stlrtruck
03-13-2010, 07:09 PM
The "sky is falling" threads on Steelersfever are both frequent and humorous.

After a loss, after a hangnail, whatever.

I think the rush to judgment and consequences being discussed are both harsh and premature.

HANGNAILS? I thought they had someone on the sidelines to take care of that? Holy Crap Dude! You mean after all these years you're telling me they don't have a manicurist on the sidelines to deal with this?

steelerdude15
03-13-2010, 10:41 PM
How about if people stop posting all these dumb ass threads.

NEPAsteeler
03-14-2010, 12:00 AM
How about if people stop posting all these dumb ass threads.

This.

JEFF4i
03-14-2010, 01:00 AM
2 times in two years?

You're callous disregarding of facts is appalling.

GoSlash27
03-14-2010, 06:14 AM
Jeff,
2 times in two years?

You're callous disregarding of facts is appalling.

What "facts" are you referring to? Do you mean the "fact" that last year's case turned out to be completely groundless? Or do you mean the "fact" that this current charge appears equally groundless?

Here's a "fact" you seem to be overlooking: Here in this country, we like to assume that people are innocent until proven guilty.

Galax Steeler
03-14-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm banging on that brick wall right along with ya buddy. :banging: :banging: :banging:

I am with you on this one.:banging::banging:

xbroughneck
03-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Cut or trade? A resounding NO!

If he's ...
1) charged
then
2) found guilty
then

SUSPEND HIM. The suspension would depend on what he's found guilty of. IMHO, if he gropped a womans breast...and she didn't want him to...3 game suspension.

If it were a more physical assault, but not rape....Ben might have to sit out a year.

Ben is going to retire a Steeler.

stillers4me
03-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, right.

The Rooney's will terminte Ben's contract, leaving him free to sign with anybody. Shitzinnati will snatch him right up, he'll burn our asses for the next 10 years, and the Bunghole fans will celebrate "Big Jen" as the second coming of Boomer Esiason for bringing the Bungholes their first 3 Lombardi trophies.

Yeah, I can see the Rooney's letting that happen. :doh:

OneForTheToe
03-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Dan Rooney will fix the situation by finding Ben a nice Irish girl. Who can also pound Guinness with the best of them.

SteelersLUFC
03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
today i took down and toar up my poster off Ben when i started following football particularly here across the Atlantic i mean all i wanted to be was Ben Roethlisberger i remember how upset i was when i got a Polamalu jersey instead of a Ben one for chrismas i started wearing number 7 in soccer and in madden

he has betrayed us his fans fans of football and human beings i said last year i didnt believe it money grubbing **** but they say lighting doesnt strike twice and this seems like more than a conincidence. we the fans pay his salary we go to the game kids look up to him and at the bear minimum he should feel some level of reponsiblity to behave himself

pretty soon if this goes the way its going the steelers will have to take some form of action. hes a football player and **** he is a good one but one man is not a team. and one player not even the quarterback the face of the franchise is more important than it and cant behave i any manner he sees fit because he believes he is above reproach

i hope that this isnt true but reality being what it is this is one fan who has lost the faith

stillers4me
03-14-2010, 12:44 PM
today i took down and toar up my poster off Ben when i started following football particularly here across the Atlantic i mean all i wanted to be was Ben Roethlisberger i remember how upset i was when i got a Polamalu jersey instead of a Ben one for chrismas i started wearing number 7 in soccer and in madden

he has betrayed us his fans fans of football and human beings i said last year i didnt believe it money grubbing **** but they say lighting doesnt strike twice and this seems like more than a conincidence. we the fans pay his salary we go to the game kids look up to him and at the bear minimum he should feel some level of reponsiblity to behave himself

pretty soon if this goes the way its going the steelers will have to take some form of action. hes a football player and **** he is a good one but one man is not a team. and one player not even the quarterback the face of the franchise is more important than it and cant behave i any manner he sees fit because he believes he is above reproach

i hope that this isnt true but reality being what it is this is one fan who has lost the faith

So you were there? What did you see that you are so convinced he's a cold hearted rapist?

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
No. end of discussion.

:iagree: These threads are getting more and more idiotic.

SteelersLUFC
03-14-2010, 12:50 PM
listen ive seen these things happen before on a different continent in a different sport but i not saying hes guilty im saying it looks bad and that its too much of a concidence for me that two different women in two different areas of the country accuse ben of rape hey im hoping as much as you are its not true i just a pesimist

xbroughneck
03-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Look people. This can work out for the Steelers.

Worst case scenario. He's found guilty of physical assault.

Contrary to popular belief, this would be Ben's FIRST strike.

He'd probably get a one year suspension, would NOT get released by the team, would have to rework/reword his contract to throw in some CHARACTER stuff, maybe pay cut....then Ben would come back with fire in his gut with something to prove.

Now, it would look bad for the franchise initially, but hopefully Ben would learn from his mistake (if found guilty) and would not repeat.

That IMHO would be the worst case scenario.

I still see no signs that the Rooneys will have to suspend or cut Big Ben.

Fire Haley
03-14-2010, 01:38 PM

I think you're an idiot

Two times in one year - what?

1. A woman in Nevada with whom he says he had a one-night stand waited a year and filed a civil suit for $3 million claiming it was rape. She never called police, or filed a police report, therefore Nevada police say they have no evidence a crime occurred and will not open an investigation. Court documents show she bragged about having sex with Ben and her own text messages conflict with her account.

2. A woman in Georgia told police Ben "sexually manipulated" her. Police have asked for a DNA sample but have not applied for a warrant nor have charges been filed. Although the prosecutor would represent the woman in all criminal matters, she has hired a civil attorney with a specialty in personal injury.

that's all we know

zulater
03-14-2010, 01:44 PM
So you were there? What did you see that you are so convinced he's a cold hearted rapist?

It's not my opinion, but I don't see it as an unreasonable viewpoint.

Like I said before, if in time Ben proves to be innocent of these charges I don't see where any fan that rushed to a judgemet of guilt owes Ben or the fans that resisted prejudging him an apology. The moment Ben took a drunk girl he didn't know into a secluded area he set himself up to look guilty. Maybe if he didn't have the civil suit already hanging over him it would be easiar for many to extend Ben the benifit of the doubt? But the reality is this is a storm of Ben's own making.

chacha
03-14-2010, 03:01 PM
all I know is I'm not about to go tearing up my Ben poster or stop wearing #7 because of accusations.

beer72
03-14-2010, 04:49 PM
I wish certain people just wouldnt post...What more can i say HE HAS NOT BEEN COVICTED OF ANYTHING!

Corey120120
03-14-2010, 05:09 PM
I hate him ive always hated him so i dont care. if they dont cut him they should atleast suspend him. My opinion.

JEFF4i
03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Jeff,

What "facts" are you referring to? Do you mean the "fact" that last year's case turned out to be completely groundless? Or do you mean the "fact" that this current charge appears equally groundless?

Here's a "fact" you seem to be overlooking: Here in this country, we like to assume that people are innocent until proven guilty.

Your assumption is absolutely adorable GoSlash.

Here's a "fact" you seem to be overlooking. If you knew anything about semantics you'd realize that I was actually on your side in this situation. But no, you just read and assumed.

And that's why I'm not going to be logging in too frequently until the season starts back up, you are indicative of a lot of people here.

GoSlash27
03-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Jeff,
Perhaps if you address your responses and quote the posts you're responding to, you'll cause less confusion.
Toodles. :wave:

zulater
03-14-2010, 07:12 PM
I hate him ive always hated him so i dont care. if they dont cut him they should atleast suspend him. My opinion.

You hate him and have always done so, and you really want us to believe you're a Steelers fan? :noidea:

What, you yearn for the days of Bubby, Neil,Tommy Gun and Korkie? :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
03-14-2010, 07:19 PM

You hate the quaterback that got us #5 and #6?......um ok dude whatever :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2010, 10:50 PM
listen ive seen these things happen before on a different continent in a different sport but i not saying hes guilty im saying it looks bad and that its too much of a concidence for me that two different women in two different areas of the country accuse ben of rape hey im hoping as much as you are its not true i just a pesimist

That proves to me that you don't know what's going on in this case. There is NO accusation of rape. The police have even said that this is NOT a rape case. It is 'sexual assault or sexual manipulation' and there still have been no charges filed against Ben.

The first accusation of rape came a year after it supposedly happened and is a civil case. It was never reported to the police or to anyone else and the accuser has proven to be a nutjob. There's nothing more to say on that one.

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2010, 10:51 PM
You hate him and have always done so, and you really want us to believe you're a Steelers fan? :noidea:

Don't forget Cliff Stoudt. :toofunny:

SteelGhost
03-15-2010, 12:16 AM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l79/JeepJeep8/facepalm.jpg

WeegiesWarriors
03-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I don't like the crop of QBs in this draft... especially the top ones.. i.e. Claussen, Bradford. I'd be on board for trading him if it meant being able to jump up in the first to get another franchise QB. It's a slippery slope. Great teams are defined by their QB. We have one, but he is an ass (innocent or guilty whatever.. he's still an ass).

I would be okay with the Steelers trading Ben, however I don't think there is a QB on the roster right now that is playoff-caliber, and I don't think any of the QBs projected high in the first round are that special (I'm no scout so I could be wrong). So, imo, we would have to lower our expectations for at least the next 2 or 3 years. Steeler Nation as a whole won't do that. Therefore the Rooney's are stuck.

pete74
03-15-2010, 09:10 AM
if ben got suspended i think dixon can step up. he was a heisman finalist at oregon before the injury so he is a really good qb and he can scramble. i doubt its going to come to this but there is always the chance that ben could get suspended, cut or injured. qb's who get scacked 50 times a year dont seem to make it very long

steelerdave1969
03-15-2010, 09:11 AM
If Ben is found guilty the Steelers must punish him some how some way. I am sure that Goodell will have something to say in the punishment as well. Either way Ben needs to quit hangin' out with the Teenie Boppers and find him a true WOMAN instead of these little girls.

fansince'76
03-15-2010, 11:18 AM
I would be okay with the Steelers trading Ben, however I don't think there is a QB on the roster right now that is playoff-caliber, and I don't think any of the QBs projected high in the first round are that special (I'm no scout so I could be wrong). So, imo, we would have to lower our expectations for at least the next 2 or 3 years. Steeler Nation as a whole won't do that. Therefore the Rooney's are stuck.

Or the next 20-25. Went through that once, don't care to repeat it. A high first rounder doesn't guarantee anything. You could wind up with a P. Manning, or a Ryan Leaf (which is actually far more common).

zulater
03-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Don't forget Cliff Stoudt. :toofunny:

Yeah him too, and we can also add Mark Malone. :flap:

Speaking of whom, does anyone remember the details of the story when some joker tried to drive their car into 3 Rivers stadium ( not on a game day) because they were irate over Malone's play? As ridiculous as it sounds I vaguely remember something of that nature happening. :sofunny:

MACH1
03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Or the next 20-25. Went through that once, don't care to repeat it. A high first rounder doesn't guarantee anything. You could wind up with a P. Manning, or a Ryan Leaf (which is actually far more common).

Bingo.
We got lucky with Ben. We could very easily be stuck on 4 sb's without him.
Anybody ever stop and think who would be the qb right now if we didn't draft him.

I'd rather not go through another 25 years of waiting. I'd probly be dead by then. :laughing:

Prok
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah him too, and we can also add Mark Malone. :flap:

Speaking of whom, does anyone remember the details of the story when some joker tried to drive their car into 3 Rivers stadium ( not on a game day) because they were irate over Malone's play? As ridiculous as it sounds I vaguely remember something of that nature happening. :sofunny:

:chuckle:

I was out of town during those years so they can't blame me. Had i been in town those years you could bet the farm i'd have made the FO take notice that we NEEDED a f'n QB.

:chuckle:

kittenfantastico76
03-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't hear the fat lady sings so I'll wait to hear the final verdict before passing judgement.

I will say this though - maybe Ben (and I love him) should spend a little LESS time in the bars partying and picking up chicks and more time in the GYM working on his fitness! ;)

pete74
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't hear the fat lady sings so I'll wait to hear the final verdict before passing judgement.

I will say this though - maybe Ben (and I love him) should spend a little LESS time in the bars partying and picking up chicks and more time in the GYM working on his fitness! ;)

i agree 100%

Dino 6 Rings
03-15-2010, 01:10 PM
I say if he doesn't get me a 3rd and 4th ring here in the next 5 seasons, then we cut him. He still owes me TWO.

zulater
03-15-2010, 01:58 PM

There were whispers last year that Ben went into camp somewhat out of shape. I had hoped that his conditioning wouldn't be a concern this season, but the most recent pictures we've seen of him tell me otherwise.

At the risk of adding 2+2 and getting 22, I would like to say I've come to believe that since Cowher and Whisenhunt left Ben is given too much free rein by the current staff. I think it's become pretty obvious after they left that Ben had little regard for either.

Consequenstly you look at the way Ben seems to be enamored with the current regime and I have to wonder if maybe to a degree they've become too much his enablers and not so much his bosses?

Obviously his play on the field hasn't suffered, but perhaps his abhorent behaviour off the field is somewhat interelated? ( And no I'm not claiming he's guilty of criminal conduct, I just think he tends to be an a-hole and makes himself an all too easy target)

Bottom line whether my theory is true or baseless I think the Steelers as an orginization have been kissing Ben's butt for too long and that needs to change immediatly. A good start would be to impress upon him that a lack of conditioning on his part wont be tolerated, if he comes to camp overweight there will be consequences.

pete74
03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
ben definatly didnt look like and nfl QB in the most recent pic's. he seems to be getting really fat and thats not a good thing when your playing in the nfl as a qb

oldschool
03-15-2010, 02:42 PM
I just want to know how Ben went from writing PFJ ( Play For Jesus) on his shoes, to wearing devil faced shirts to bars picking up coeds?:noidea:

SteelersLUFC
03-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Money is the root of all evil

T.Richardson
03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
so Big Ben cant go to parties, or anything like that cause he is the face of the steelers? cause he will put himself in that situation? that is BS and Ben can do what he wants with his life as long as it is legal, if he wants to get drunk on a saturday night, who are the fans or anyone to tell him he cant do it, or he will put himself in the situation? hes young.. im willing to bet that MOST of the steelers players party it up like Ben does, they just dont get accused of random crap.

SteelersLUFC
03-15-2010, 03:32 PM
No be can't that's the reality of being a celebrity and what he has to realize

pete74
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
so Big Ben cant go to parties, or anything like that cause he is the face of the steelers? cause he will put himself in that situation? that is BS and Ben can do what he wants with his life as long as it is legal, if he wants to get drunk on a saturday night, who are the fans or anyone to tell him he cant do it, or he will put himself in the situation? hes young.. im willing to bet that MOST of the steelers players party it up like Ben does, they just dont get accused of random crap.

when your a high profile person like ben then yes you do have to watch everything you do and say because the media is everywere. he choose this lifestyle, it didnt choose him and he knew when he signed that huge contract that his life would be looked at under a microscope. of course he should be able to go out and drink but a bar full of almost strictly college girls? come on. i dont care if he assulted that girl or not he shouldnt of been in a locked bathroom with her in this shit hole club. you give up alot of privledges to become famous and everyone knows that. some can handle it, others cant.

kittenfantastico76
03-15-2010, 04:15 PM
when your a high profile person like ben then yes you do have to watch everything you do and say because the media is everywere. he choose this lifestyle, it didnt choose him and he knew when he signed that huge contract that his life would be looked at under a microscope. of course he should be able to go out and drink but a bar full of almost strictly college girls? come on. i dont care if he assulted that girl or not he shouldnt of been in a locked bathroom with her in this shit hole club. you give up alot of privledges to become famous and everyone knows that. some can handle it, others cant.

I was sort of thinking the same thing... How old is Ben? 28? And this girl is 20, right? He should have never put himself in that situation. A) It's one thing to be in a bar surrounded by girls, it's quite another to take a girl 7 years younger than you into a locked bathroom. It looks bad regardless of what happened. What's worse what on earth was this girl thinking??? Before I get flamed, I'm a firm believer, NO MEANS NO and all that jazz, but also let's use a bit of brains here people. You go into a bathroom at a bar and it's locked behind you, your most likely not going to be talking about kittens and Unicorns or how cute the Jonas Bros are this year. I can't pass judgement I wasn't there but my momma raised me a lot better than to go into a locked bar bathroom with a guy - no matter how cute or rich he may be....

I feel bad, the girl may have been star struck, maybe things didn't go the way she wanted, maybe Ben is guilty (I HOPE NOT!) But either way I'm waiting to pass judgement until it's been ruled.

I have to say in reading all the stories online one made me laugh outloud. There have been mixed reports of Ben behaving nice and behaving like a douche. I guess in a way it probably depended which bar he was at, how many drinks he had etc. But one report said he was acting like a real jerk and bought everyone a round of shots (helloooo - that's not a jerk that's your BFF when you're at a bar)... he was called a jerk because when he bought the shot he said to the patrons "DRINK MY SHOTS B*TCHES!!!" (note: I don't know if he only bought shots for girls, or everyone either way it's still funny, to me)

Sorry if I was at a bar, and Ben bought me and my girlfriends a round of shots, and then shouted that for all to hear, I think I'd pee myself laughing. It sounds like most people that I know and chill with on a regular basis. Maybe a bit to brass for someone in a high profile position, but at the same time still chuckle worthy. I'd however have enough brains NOT to follow him to the bathroom.

The charges against him are not laughing matter but that bit of the story, seriously, makes me laugh.

kittenfantastico76
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
There were whispers last year that Ben went into camp somewhat out of shape. I had hoped that his conditioning wouldn't be a concern this season, but the most recent pictures we've seen of him tell me otherwise.

At the risk of adding 2+2 and getting 22, I would like to say I've come to believe that since Cowher and Whisenhunt left Ben is given too much free rein by the current staff. I think it's become pretty obvious after they left that Ben had little regard for either.

Consequenstly you look at the way Ben seems to be enamored with the current regime and I have to wonder if maybe to a degree they've become too much his enablers and not so much his bosses?

Obviously his play on the field hasn't suffered, but perhaps his abhorent behaviour off the field is somewhat interelated? ( And no I'm not claiming he's guilty of criminal conduct, I just think he tends to be an a-hole and makes himself an all too easy target)

Bottom line whether my theory is true or baseless I think the Steelers as an orginization have been kissing Ben's butt for too long and that needs to change immediatly. A good start would be to impress upon him that a lack of conditioning on his part wont be tolerated, if he comes to camp overweight there will be consequences.

I kind of want to see Arnold go to the training camp and call Ben a Girlie Man and whip his butt into shape!

NJarhead
03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
:rolleyes:

My feelings exactly.

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2010, 08:38 PM
ben definatly didnt look like and nfl QB in the most recent pic's. he seems to be getting really fat and thats not a good thing when your playing in the nfl as a qb

He passed for 4300 yards last year with a QB rating of 100. I don't care what he looks like in the offseason.

Psyychoward86
03-15-2010, 09:27 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hXjhQ1_xjuQ/SJ22GuAwRtI/AAAAAAAAD9E/v6TL8jJohj0/s400/Jesus+Facepalm.jpg

let's trade for Brady Quinn. He's a former body builder, i mean what could go wrong :rolleyes:

NEPAsteeler
03-15-2010, 10:06 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hXjhQ1_xjuQ/SJ22GuAwRtI/AAAAAAAAD9E/v6TL8jJohj0/s400/Jesus+Facepalm.jpg

let's trade for Brady Quinn. He's a former body builder, i mean what could go wrong :rolleyes:

Ben DID look a little chubby this past season. Just sayin'. :chuckle:

pete74
03-16-2010, 04:58 AM

so your saying that ben looks like he is in great shape? or maybe you just dont know what good conditioning is. i asure you that it is important in the nfl and ben dosnt appear to be in the shape he was in during the season.lol

spyboots
03-16-2010, 05:03 AM
This is America. Is he not innocent until proven guilty? This question is WAY too premature.

zulater
03-16-2010, 06:22 AM
He passed for 4300 yards last year with a QB rating of 100. I don't care what he looks like in the offseason.

His career length could be adversly affected by poor conditioning if nothing else. You make the sort of money that Ben does it's got to be a 12 month commitment. It sends a bad message to the rest of the team if you allow a player of Ben's significance to play by his own rules.

Even if Ben walks away from this situation with no charges being filed ( as we all pray will be the case) I think Ben's going to need to win back the locker room. If he walks into Latrobe 20 lb's or so overweight, how do you think that's going to play with the team?

Maybe I'm wrong, but a consistent theme that was being played out to us after the Steelers won SB XLIII was the closeness of the team, how the team unity was so strong. I think that's going to take a major hit this year with all that's happened to Ben. Eventually he should be able to win over most of his teammates with his play. But I still think a good place to start on that quest is to emphasize to Ben that he needs to get himself in shape sooner rather than later.

pete74
03-16-2010, 06:42 AM
His career length could be adversly affected by poor conditioning if nothing else. You make the sort of money that Ben does it's got to be a 12 month commitment. It sends a bad message to the rest of the team if you allow a player of Ben's significance to play by his own rules.

Even if Ben walks away from this situation with no charges being filed ( as we all pray will be the case) I think Ben's going to need to win back the locker room. If he walks into Latrobe 20 lb's or so overweight, how do you think that's going to play with the team?

Maybe I'm wrong, but a consistent theme that was being played out to us after the Steelers won SB XLIII was the closeness of the team, how the team unity was so strong. I think that's going to take a major hit this year with all that's happened to Ben. Eventually he should be able to win over most of his teammates with his play. But I still think a good place to start on that quest is to emphasize to Ben that he needs to get himself in shape sooner rather than later.

good post and i agree 100%

SteelerFanInStl
03-16-2010, 07:52 AM

He's two months into the offseason. If he shows up at training camp way overweight, like Big Snack, then you might have something to worry about.

vrabinec
03-16-2010, 08:09 AM
He's two months into the offseason. If he shows up at training camp way overweight, like Big Snack, then you might have something to worry about.

He doesn't have to show up overweight to be out of shape. Let's face it, Ben's no Jerry Rice when it comes to working out. I don't think he needs to be THAT dedicated right now, just dedicated enough so he doesn't hurt himself when camp starts. He seems to come in every year about the same shape (except when he nosedived into a windshield). That kind of offseason workout regimen will get him through the next few years, maybe through his current contract. If he wants to play beyond that, then he'll need to step up the workouts IMO, because he doesn't come in in tip top shape from what I've seen in camps, and his body would decline fairly quickly through his mid thirties.

Willem Gerber
03-16-2010, 08:10 AM

Whoah!!!! Not now?? This will be a dump decision if the Rooney's do it.

Give the guy a chance to be proven guilty or not

polamalu82
03-16-2010, 08:59 AM
These threads about Ben are getting ridiculous. If you're a true Steeler fan, why the HELL would you want our FRANCHISE QB cut? He hasn't been convicted of anything but making bad decisions. Ben has given us 2 rings, I think that buys him the premise of being INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

joeyssteelcurtain
03-16-2010, 09:24 AM
These threads about Ben are getting ridiculous. If you're a true Steeler fan, why the HELL would you want our FRANCHISE QB cut? He hasn't been convicted of anything but making bad decisions. Ben has given us 2 rings, I think that buys him the premise of being INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

I love Ben my kids call him uncle Ben and yes he has won to rings and yes he is the franchise QB but that does not mean you can go out and rape people. What are the chances they are both are lying the new girl drop out of school and quit her job. Something happen in that bathroom

pete74
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM

belive it or not there are qb's like tom brady and others who are out of state training.

vrabinec
03-16-2010, 09:47 AM
belive it or not there are qb's like tom brady and others who are out of state training.

Out of state is one thing, but doesn't Ben live something like 30 minutes from the complex. Not to pile on Ben or anything.

pete74
03-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Out of state is one thing, but doesn't Ben live something like 30 minutes from the complex. Not to pile on Ben or anything.

yea its about 30min tops. im not tearing up on be and i love the guy but he has to stay in shape if he wants to make it in the nfl especially with all the hits he takes. hopefully he gets in better shape before the season starts and brings pittsburgh another ring

madtowndrunkard
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Nothing has been proven in the first case. The difference is the victim is not credible. It is well documented that she is wacky and has serious issues. All that means is a jury will not likely believe her. It was her word against Ben's. Since she never went to the police there was no evidence or reason for the police to charge anyone. It is very common actually for rape victims to not say a thing. Happens all of the time. She is also mentally ill so no jury will believe anything she says. Maybe she was raped by Ben? Will we ever really know? I didn't believe it happened either. After this latest case it makes me wonder.

Rape a drug addict and odds are you will never be convicted of anything because they are not credible. Look at the women in Kobe's case. She got around. Had multiple partners. That alone destroyed the case.

The latest w/ Ben sounds bad. The girl from what I hear is normal. She went to the police immediately. I suspect charges will be coming once the DA builds his case.

madtowndrunkard
03-16-2010, 10:53 AM
This is America. Is he not innocent until proven guilty? This question is WAY too premature.

No you are guilty till proven innocent. What you are quoting is a farce. Ever been audited?

madtowndrunkard
03-16-2010, 10:55 AM
I love Ben my kids call him uncle Ben and yes he has won to rings and yes he is the franchise QB but that does not mean you can go out and rape people. What are the chances they are both are lying the new girl drop out of school and quit her job. Something happen in that bathroom

I think everyone has an uncle like that. :)

My kids have uncle Danny. He's in and out of jail for drinking, drugs, or not showing to court dates. But my kids still love him.

pete74
03-16-2010, 10:55 AM
No you are guilty till proven innocent. What you are quoting is a farce. Ever been audited?

exactly. i was audited 3 years ago and it was the worst experiance of my life. of course i got caught cheating but they tried to pin alot more on me

tony hipchest
03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
exactly. i was audited 3 years ago and it was the worst experiance of my life. of course i got caught cheating but they tried to pin alot more on mesteelers should cut you or trade you to raidernation. :chuckle:

pete74
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
steelers should cut you or trade you to raidernation. :chuckle:

i live in the burgh, have my entire life. even if i lived in oakland my entire life i still wouldnt be a raiders fan

Corey120120
03-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Im only 15 so i cant remeber them.
I guess i dont hate him completely. Sometimes hes just an ass.

Corey120120
03-16-2010, 01:07 PM
You hate the quaterback that got us #5 and #6?......um ok dude whatever :chuckle:
Dude most of my family hates him actually.
I guess i dont HATE him he just pisses me off ALOT.
I was happy with the superbowls but i can tell you it wasnt just him that won the superbowl

Corey120120
03-16-2010, 01:09 PM

I agree he defiantly did not look good this season. I think this is one of the reasons i dont like him.
Plus he wasnt acting like he took it serious

chacha
03-16-2010, 04:42 PM
he didnt look like he was taking it serious???? oh brother....

SteelerFanInStl
03-16-2010, 05:47 PM
he didnt look like he was taking it serious???? oh brother....

:iagree: :sofunny: Yea, Ben had a terrible year. :sofunny:

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 01:42 PM
I was happy with the superbowls but i can tell you it wasnt just him that won the superbowl

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that we sure as hell wouldn't have won them without him either.

Nadroj 20
03-17-2010, 01:49 PM

No not at all, but as fansince76 said he was a big part in winning them.

My biggest issue is you dont know him and either does your family. I wait until i actually know someone until i judge whether or not i like the guy, sure there are stories you hear and this whole situation he is in could actually turn out bad but until then I am going to like the guy for the only way I will ever know him, as the Steelers QB.

pete74
03-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I can say with a fair amount of certainty that we sure as hell wouldn't have won them without him either.

we may of won that 1st one were he had a 19 qb rating. that was all defense and willie parker. oh yea, and ARE'S TD pass

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 04:22 PM
we may of won that 1st one were he had a 19 qb rating. that was all defense and willie parker. oh yea, and ARE'S TD pass

We wouldn't have made it to that one to begin with without him, IMO. We almost missed the playoffs entirely that year thanks to Ben being injured and Maddox starting two games (both losses). 11-28 and 3 picks (including the losing pick-6 in OT) against Jax at home ring a bell?

pete74
03-17-2010, 04:58 PM
We wouldn't have made it to that one to begin with without him, IMO. We almost missed the playoffs entirely that year thanks to Ben being injured and Maddox starting two games (both losses). 11-28 and 3 picks (including the losing pick-6 in OT) against Jax at home ring a bell?

you guys were talking about the 2 superbowls so those were the only games i was refering to

Texasteel
03-17-2010, 05:05 PM
you guys were talking about the 2 superbowls so those were the only games i was refering to

You can't seperate the SB and the SB run pete. They sort of go together.

plenewken
03-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Well, I disagree with you here. In all objectivity, I'd say he didn't play bad enough to cost us the first Superbowl he played but he certainly didn't win it for us.
His QB rating for the game was pretty awful.

Corey120120
03-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I just dont like him!

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 05:36 PM
I just dont like him!

Well, if you wind up having to sit through 2+ decades or so of absolute suck at the position after he leaves like I and many others experienced after Bradshaw retired, your perspective WILL change, I guarantee you.

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Well, I disagree with you here. In all objectivity, I'd say he didn't play bad enough to cost us the first Superbowl he played but he certainly didn't win it for us.
His QB rating for the game was pretty awful.

Once again, we don't even MAKE IT there without him. Or do you think we actually make it past the Bengals, Colts and Broncos in the playoffs, all on the road, with a QB tandem consisting of Maddox and Batch? If you do, I want what you're smoking.

pete74
03-17-2010, 05:50 PM
You can't seperate the SB and the SB run pete. They sort of go together.

sorry but your wrong. if someone says we wouldnt of won the super bowl without ben how in the world am i supposed to mean they ment the entire season? hell i dont remember every game.

pete74
03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Once again, we don't even MAKE IT there without him. Or do you think we actually make it past the Bengals, Colts and Broncos in the playoffs, all on the road, with a QB tandem consisting of Maddox and Batch? If you do, I want what you're smoking.

whats he smoking? ben had a 75 rating that year. he threw 18 td's and 23interceptions. ben was young, inexperiance and that was a bad year for him. our running game and defense won it for us that year

Texasteel
03-17-2010, 05:57 PM
sorry but your wrong. if someone says we wouldnt of won the super bowl without ben how in the world am i supposed to mean they ment the entire season? hell i dont remember every game.

You can't win the SB if you don't get there.

Sharkissle29
03-17-2010, 06:00 PM
whats he smoking? ben had a 75 rating that year. he threw 18 td's and 23interceptions. ben was young, inexperiance and that was a bad year for him. our running game and defense won it for us that year

did you even watch the playoffs?

look at the numbers, the superbowl obviously wasnt great. but he was the one that got us there....

how soon people forget.....

pete74
03-17-2010, 06:01 PM
You can't win the SB if you don't get there.

do you people not understand? i was talking about 1 game. i dont care how they got there, im talking about how they won it. why is this so hard to comprehend

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 06:02 PM

Wrong. He threw 17 TDs against 9 INTs and had a 98.6 QB rating that season. Our running game was bottled up in the AFCCG against the Broncos that year and Ben tossed 2 TDs and ran another in himself. Bettis damn near fumbled the game away in Indy the week before - want to remind me who made the game-saving tackle? We don't make that SB without Ben's contributions. Period.

Texasteel
03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
do you people not understand? i was talking about 1 game. i dont care how they got there, im talking about how they won it. why is this so hard to comprehend

Do you not understand. They do not draw straws to see who gets there. Smart mouth condescending comments will not help your point.

Nadroj 20
03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Wrong. He threw 17 TDs against 9 INTs and had a 98.6 QB rating that season. Our running game was bottled up in the AFCCG against the Broncos that year and Ben tossed 2 TDs and ran another in himself. Bettis damn near fumbled the game away in Indy the week before - want to remind me who made the game-saving tackle? We don't make that SB without Ben's contributions. Period.

Awe come on we still woulda got there and won with Maddox :chuckle:

ole Tommy would have made that tackle for sure!

plenewken
03-17-2010, 06:08 PM

I don't smoke sh*t ............ anymore <g>.
You've changed your statement in the middle of the discussion,dude.
You said initially we wouldn't have won 2 Superbowl without Ben which I disagree with cause he almost singlehandedly lost the first by playing pretty lousy.
Then you changed your position by saying, we wouldn't have made it to the 1st Superbowl without him, which I agree with, especially considering the tackle he made against the Colts after Bettis fumbled the ball on the goal line.

So my answer is I don't agree with your 1st predicament but I agree with the second.

pete74
03-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Do you not understand. They do not draw straws to see who gets there. Smart mouth condescending comments will not help your point.

wow, you really dont understand do you? let me try this one more time very slow for you. i was talking about the results of 1 game. i wasnt talking about how we got there or anything else that happened in the past. 1 game. the game was the superbow were we played the seahawks. thats it. how we won that game. not the game before it but that game.

SteelMember
03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Hmmm. Only 15% so far.

For some reason I thought it'd be more. What, with all the Ben threads lately.

I think I'll stick to my original idea, and steer clear of any that have his name it the title for awhile. It's less frustrating that way.

Good luck with the firings.

:wave:

Nadroj 20
03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't smoke sh*t ............ anymore <g>.
You've changed your statement in the middle of the discussion,dude.
You said initially we wouldn't have won 2 Superbowl without Ben which I disagree with cause he almost singlehandedly lost the first by playing pretty lousy.
Then you changed your position by saying, we wouldn't have made it to the 1st Superbowl without him, which I agree with, especially considering the tackle he made against the Colts after Bettis fumbled the ball on the goal line.

So my answer is I don't agree with your 1st predicament but I agree with the second.

Ok so in your opinion we would have won the superbowl with anyone under center? Because if ben did nothing ( he did have a rushing td) then Maddox or batch or anyone for that matter would have played well enough to win right?

Because the rushing game and d did it all?

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Sorry, not arguing the point anymore as it's turned into a game of semantics. I know what I meant.

Texasteel
03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
wow, you really dont understand do you? let me try this one more time very slow for you. i was talking about the results of 1 game. i wasnt talking about how we got there or anything else that happened in the past. 1 game. the game was the superbow were we played the seahawks. thats it. how we won that game. not the game before it but that game.

You can talk as slowly as you want, but to separate the SB from the rest of the season, let alone the playoffs, is ridiculous and a lame way to try an make a point. I also should not be surprised at you attempt to make your point by talking down to someone. It's been you MO since you got here. Maybe you will understand better when you grow up, till then I see no reason to communicate further.

MACH1
03-17-2010, 06:23 PM

Don't waste your breath with these armchair qb's.

We would of made it with with Miller under center, cept he would have gone undefeated.

plenewken
03-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Ok so in your opinion we would have won the superbowl with anyone under center?
Where did I say that?
Because if ben did nothing Again, where did I say that ? I said he played pretty lousy which is confirmed by a QB rating of 22.6 which is the lowest rating for a QB in Superbowl history. I also said he didn't play bad enough to lose the game but certainly not good enough to win it by himself.

End of discussion for me.

Nadroj 20
03-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Where did I say that?
Again, where did I say that ? I said he played pretty lousy which is confirmed by a QB rating of 22.6 which is the lowest rating for a QB in Superbowl history. I also said he didn't play bad enough to lose the game but certainly not good enough to win it by himself.

End of discussion for me.

You never said either that is what im getting by what you are saying. We said that we do not win the superbowl without Ben, you said you did not agree with that so that makes me assume you think we could have won it with anyone under center....

Im well aware you did not say that, but what your are saying is leaving me with that impression. (which is probably completely wrong, its just how i am reading into it when you say he did nothing to help us win)

steeldawg
03-17-2010, 07:15 PM

you do have to get to the superbowl before you can win it.......but this is just my opinion :noidea: