PDA

View Full Version : Best No. 1 Pick in NFL History?

SteelCityKing
03-14-2010, 08:38 AM
with the kick off the of the 75th Anniversary of the NFL Draft, vote on who you think is the BEST number one overall pick of all time. should be good. enjoy.

*** these choices are based on an NFL.com poll***

stillers4me
03-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Noting to do with being a Steelers fan, but 4 superbowl rings says it all.

SteelCityKing
03-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Noting to do with being a Steelers fan, but 4 superbowl rings syas it all.

that's why i voted for him, too. a few of the people i never heard of. makes me feel like a d*ckhead, but i had to go with T-Brad! haha!

St33lersguy
03-14-2010, 08:58 AM
with the kick off the of the 75th Anniversary of the NFL Draft, vote on who you think is the BEST number one overall pick of all time. should be good. enjoy.

*** these choices are based on an NFL.com poll***

So that's why there is no Patriots suck and Tom Brady is gay as an option.
Bradshaw and 4 rings all the way

Galax Steeler
03-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Have to give one to Terry he was one of the best.

SteelCityKing
03-14-2010, 09:16 AM
So that's why there is no Patriots suck and Tom Brady is gay as an option.
Bradshaw and 4 rings all the way

well, the poll was for Round 1/Number 1 picks. Tom Brady was #199! he plays like he's a Rd.1/No.1...

...but he's still a douche. haha!

XxKnightxX
03-14-2010, 09:37 AM
WEll Just for the sake of argument Im gonna go with Chuck Bednarik. The guy was drafted and was the ultimate iron man. When the defense stepped out of the field he was the only one staying there because the guy played Center. And was a hell of a player at both positions. A twofer, never gonna find that nowadays in the NFL.

SteelCityKing
03-14-2010, 09:47 AM
WEll Just for the sake of argument Im gonna go with Chuck Bednarik. The guy was drafted and was the ultimate iron man. When the defense stepped out of the field he was the only one staying there because the guy played Center. And was a hell of a player at both positions. A twofer, never gonna find that nowadays in the NFL.

well, thanks for breaking the streak...jeez! haha! kidding.

St33lersguy
03-14-2010, 02:40 PM

Ahhh, you're an eagles fan:chuckle: (just kidding)

XxKnightxX
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Ahhh, you're an eagles fan:chuckle: (just kidding)

Lol Whoa Whoa Whoa easy there now hahaha I bleed B&G :tt03: If Bednarik was a Steeler then he would of been the bestestest pick of all time and I would wear his jersey haha. BUT hes an iggle

St33lersguy
03-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Lol Whoa Whoa Whoa easy there now hahaha I bleed B&G :tt03: If Bednarik was a Steeler then he would of been the bestestest pick of all time and I would wear his jersey haha. BUT hes an iggle

Ahhh, you're an eagles fan :chuckle:(just kidding)

Note the just kidding part

steelerdude15
03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Mean Joe Greene

Stlrs4Life
03-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Joe Greene doesn't make the list?

stlrtruck
03-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Mean Joe Greene - Steelers 1969

BigBen'sSwagger
03-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Wasn't Bednarik the only Superbowl MVP from a losing team (the cowboys)?

AllD
03-18-2010, 01:41 PM
1969 Mean Joe Greene began it all. Then Brad and then Franco. Then the 1974 draft. Then the rest is history.

Vincent
03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Having observed the sport since the 50s, I had no reasonable choice but to vote for Mrs Bradshaw's baby boy, Terry. The young man had titanium plated brass balls, a howitzer for an arm, called his own plays, and games didn't start til he was bleeding. The only other QB with 4 rings is Mrs Montana's baby boy, Joe, and he was a #3.

As much as I hate the cowfelons, Troy deserves some love here. A #1 with 3 rings. Although the third was a gift from NOD.

Vincent
03-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Wasn't Bednarik the only Superbowl MVP from a losing team (the cowboys)?

Concrete Charlie was an Iggle his entire career. Retired in 62.

CC deserves some love for KOing Frank Lee Gifford, devoted husband of Cathy Lee Gifford, resulting in FLG missing a year and a half. Nobody hit like CC. Oh, and CC played 60 minutes - linebacker and center.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0803/tough.guys.alltime.traditional/images/chuck-bednarik.jpg

RoethlisBURGHer
03-18-2010, 09:59 PM
1969 first overall draft pick out of North Texas State: "Mean" Joe Greene, the cornerstone of the Steel Curtain defense and the first every first round pick of Chuck Noll

pete74
03-19-2010, 05:34 AM
i say hands down, payton manning was the best #1 pick. bradshaw was freaking awesome and had 4 rings but manning is the best qb ever and because of him there a playoff team every year. they have a record 8 straight. bradshaw was one of the greats but he also had a great defense helping.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-19-2010, 07:01 AM
i say hands down, payton manning was the best #1 pick. bradshaw was freaking awesome and had 4 rings but manning is the best qb ever and because of him there a playoff team every year. they have a record 8 straight. bradshaw was one of the greats but he also had a great defense helping.

payton are you serious??? He may have a lot of stats and a ton of wins and yes without him that team probably doesn't do as good, but he can't win when it counts and not just in the pro's but at Tennessee as well.

Also note that Brad lead his team to 4 superbowl victories in a time when Defenses were allowed to be Much Much more aggressive and QB's just had to put up with it. Put manning in those years and his career is only 1/2 of what it is now.

pete74
03-19-2010, 08:03 AM
payton are you serious??? He may have a lot of stats and a ton of wins and yes without him that team probably doesn't do as good, but he can't win when it counts and not just in the pro's but at Tennessee as well.

Also note that Brad lead his team to 4 superbowl victories in a time when Defenses were allowed to be Much Much more aggressive and QB's just had to put up with it. Put manning in those years and his career is only 1/2 of what it is now.

yes bradshaw was awesome but he had a great line, a good rb and the best defensive. it wasnt only bradshaw that won those rings. i think manning is the best qb of all time and therfor is the best #1 pick. in my mind bradshaw dosnt touch manning. yes he has the 4 rings but he definatly didnt win those alone nor did manning win his but in my mind manning was alot better. before manning was drafted the colts were horrible. they were a joke then comes manning and there making playoffs every year. he has a record 4 mvp's, 9 pro bowls, 10 seasons of 4000 yards or more and he is the only qb with at least 12 wins in 7 straight seasons on top of many other records. im not saying bradshaw is bad but i think if this was anything but a steeler board we would be lucky to have one vote for bradshaw. bradshaw was a great piece of the late 70 early 80 steelers but manning is the colts. the dont run much at all, they constantly put the game in manning hands and he delivers more times then not

Dino 6 Rings
03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Lets see, which of them has 4 rings?

chacha
03-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Terry Bradshaw of course!!! 4 Rings beats all!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Terry

Psyychoward86
03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Neither Peyton nor Terry. They're out of the question. Guys really, move aside the homerism. The "omgomgomg! 4 rings bitch!" argument only works for so long. Superbowl wins are a team effort. Sure ok, Terry put on his best performance at superbowls (100+ QB rating), but he didnt throw THAT much in most of them, and he wouldnt even be in those superbowls without a phenomenal supporting cast. To call Terry the best #1 overall pick is a major insult to the rest of that 70's steelers team. Terry had arguably the best O-line and D-line helping him out, along with one of the better Rb's and Fb's of all time. Not to mention Stallworth and Swann.

Peyton is a laughable choice too. The choking alone is pitiful. Correct me if im wrong, but with his recent superbowl loss, his playoff record is under .500.....

I gotta go with Bruce Smith, the all-time leader in sacks, and arguably the most consistent and menacing pass-rushing threat to ever breathe.

steelerdave1969
03-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Hey I love Bradshaw and what he did for the Steelers but there is no way he was the Greatest all-time No.1 overall pick in a draft. Troy Aikman got my vote. Then it might have had to be Earl Campbell.

fansince'76
03-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Joe Greene doesn't make the list?

They're talking about overall #1 picks. OJ Simpson was the first player taken in the '69 draft.

rbryan
03-22-2010, 11:28 PM
You can make it a beauty contest if you want but in the end it's all about the rings.....We're talking about best number one pick....not best player ever......BTW PM's ring to choke ratio puts him out of the running on all counts.

Psyychoward86
03-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey I love Bradshaw and what he did for the Steelers but there is no way he was the Greatest all-time No.1 overall pick in a draft. Troy Aikman got my vote. T

Naw, Troy couldnt be for the same reason as Bradshaw.

You can make it a beauty contest if you want but in the end it's all about the rings.....We're talking about best number one pick....not best player ever......BTW PM's ring to choke ratio puts him out of the running on all counts.

Agree with PM. But no, rings dont measure a player.

Trent Dilfer vs. Dan Marino arguement?

:chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Terry Bradshaw's QB Ratings in his 4 Super Bowl Appearances:
1st. 108.0
2nd 122.5
3rd 119.2
4th 101.9

Compared to the "best" QB Ever Montana (Yes I realize Montana was not a #1 pick)
1st 100.0
2nd 127.2
3rd 115.2
4th 147.6

Terry Bradshaw is clearly the best #1 Pick of all time, because he actually Lived Up to the True Expectations of a #1 Pick by playing Huge in Huge games.

The Following # 1 Picks are all in the Hall of Fame:
Troy Aikman
Bruce Smith
John Elway
Earl Campbell
Lee Roy Selmon
Terry Bradshaw
O.J. Simpson
Ron Yary
Joe Namath
Buck Buchanan
Paul Hornung
Chuck Bednarik
Charlie Trippi
Bill Dudley

The Following # 1 Picks will likely Make the Hall of Fame when the stop playing or when they are on the ballot:
Drew Bledsoe
Orlando Pace
Peyton Manning

Psyychoward86
03-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Terry Bradshaw is clearly the best #1 Pick of all time, because he actually Lived Up to the True Expectations of a #1 Pick by playing Huge in Huge games.

Trent Dilfer vs. Dan Marino.

And also consider the surrounding cast that Bradshaw had. He didnt play well alone. He played well with one of the best O-lines ever, THE best defense ever (giving him more opportunities to throw), and some of the better runningbacks/wide receivers of all time.