PDA

View Full Version : Read a good book lately?

zulater
03-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Read anything good lately?

Who's it by,what's it about and would you recommend it?

I'm currently reading a book called Troublesome Young Men by Lynne Olson.

It's about the men who helped bring down Neville Chamberlain and his appeasment policies and put Winston Churchhill into power.

I'm about 1/3 of the way in, it's pretty good so far.

MACH1
03-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Does Playboy count? :sofunny:

Borski
03-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Really good, much better then the movie and I liked the movie.

Vincent
03-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I can name 10 or so good ones I've read "recently", but one in particular I really enjoyed - "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" by Thomas Sowell. I have enjoyed everything I've read by Dr. Sowell, but this one tore down much more "conventional wisdom" than his other works. "We do not live in the past, but the past in us".

Another I'd recommend is "The Deep Hot Biosphere" by Thomas Gold. This one buttresses the case for a discovery the sovs made more than 50 years ago - oil and gas are abiotic, and are in fact infinite. "Conventional wisdom" - poof.

Borski
03-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I can name 10 or so good ones I've read "recently", but one in particular I really enjoyed - "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" by Thomas Sowell. I have enjoyed everything I've read by Dr. Sowell, but this one tore down much more "conventional wisdom" than his other works. "We do not live in the past, but the past in us".

Another I'd recommend is "The Deep Hot Biosphere" by Thomas Gold. This one buttresses the case for a discovery the sovs made more than 50 years ago - oil and gas are abiotic, and are in fact infinite. "Conventional wisdom" - poof.

Explain? Oil and gas are non renewable resources. I could care less about their supposed link to global warming, but in my opinion we need to get off of them because they are a limited resource, one that will last for another 70 - 150 years but still will run out.

SteelersMongol
03-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Stalin: The First In-depth Biography Based on Explosive New Documents from Russia's Secret Archives by Edvard Radzinsky. U guys would like it.

MasterOfPuppets
03-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Does Playboy count? :sofunny:
don't see why not....:thumbsup:

Indo
03-15-2010, 01:35 PM
This One

http://www.amazon.com/5000-Year-Leap-Miracle-Changed/dp/0880801484/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Written by W. Cleon Skousen---a guy who was studying Constitutional Law and who then went on to teach it. Apparently he was looking ( in the mid to late 70s) for a book that succinctly discussed the principles that the Founding Fathers employed to frame the Constitution---it didn't exist. So he wrote this book...

It was published in 1981 originally, but it's VERY relevent to what is going on today

Here's a quote from Abraham Lincoln that's cited in the book (P.173)

Property is the fruit of labor. Property is desirable, is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently to build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence...I take it that it is best for all to leave each man free to acquire property as fast as he can. Some will get wealthy. I don't believe in a law to prevent a man from getting rich; it would do more harm than good.

Indo
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Here's another one----highly recommended

http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Tyranny-Conservative-Mark-Levin/dp/1416562850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268845790&sr=8-1

Hammer67
03-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Just read David McCullough's "1776"...awesome book.
Also "Almost A Miracle: The American Victory in the War of Independence"

I am on a revolutionary war kick lately...

Vincent
03-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Two that arrived from Amazon yesterday...

IBM and the Holocaust: The Strategic Alliance Between Nazi Germany and America's Most Powerful Corporation http://www.amazon.com/IBM-Holocaust-Strategic-Alliance-Corporation/dp/0914153102/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268933521&sr=1-1

...and...

Nazi Nexus: America's Corporate Connections to Hitler's Holocaust http://www.amazon.com/Nazi-Nexus-Corporate-Connections-Holocaust/dp/0914153099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268933653&sr=1-1

Got them primarily for reference as I'm familiar with the story, but I heartily recommend these to those not satisfied with conventional explanations of some events, or if you're just curious why people tattoo numbers on other people.

Godfather
03-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I just finished "Fourth and New Orleans", about the 2005 Tulane football season. Great read. I got it off Swaptree but you can get it for about $5 from Amazon including shipping.

GBMelBlount
03-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Two that arrived from Amazon yesterday...

IBM and the Holocaust:

...and...

Nazi Nexus: America's Corporate Connections to Hitler's Holocaust

That is some heavy stuff, friend.....

Matty™
03-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Lost Symbol

started slowly, middle was awesome, last couple of chapters were lame

well worth the read though

next on the agenda... The Quickie by Patterson :)