PDA

View Full Version : Foote agrees to re-join Steelers

jonslow
03-15-2010, 12:01 AM
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20100314/SPORTS0101/3140329/1004/SPORTS/Ex-Lion-Larry-Foote-set-to-rejoin-Steelers

The contract hasn't been finalized yet, but he's agreed to come back for what looks like three years.

I for one am pretty excited to see him back.

SteelersMongol
03-15-2010, 12:17 AM
I would've been 1 of those who get excited about his return ... But he said he wanted 2 B Cardinal more than he wanted 2 B Steeler when he was going 2 Arizona. So not really that much excited.

steelreserve
03-15-2010, 12:38 AM
No shit ... well, that's awesome. I mean, we get him back, and we don't have to give anything up, and it doesn't screw up our payroll? OK, I'll take that any day.

Wonder if this means Farrior is the one who's going to start being phased out now...

OneForTheToe
03-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Gives us depth. I am ok with how Timmons has played and think he will get better. Still, we needed depth at MLB and this provides it.

This, as well as the other FA signings we have had, leads me to think we might be planning on trying to move up in the first or second rounds. Granted, some of out FA signees could be cut from the final roster, but even if a few are left off ..... we still are not going to have much roster space left for rookies to make this team. Maybe it is a move up and get a stud year for the burgh?

MasterOfPuppets
03-15-2010, 01:02 AM
waste of a roster spot...foote has neither upside or a future. he was an average lber when he left, now he's an older average lber returning. i'd much rather a rookie with the potential to be "one of the greats" got the roster spot...we already know what foote brings to the table...and it ain't greatness...:noidea:

jonslow
03-15-2010, 01:05 AM
waste of a roster spot...foote has neither upside or a future. he was an average lber when he left, now he's an older average lber returning. i'd much rather a rookie with the potential to be "one of the greats" got the roster spot...we already know what foote brings to the table...and it ain't greatness...:noidea:

I don't know if I agree with that. He was a valuable piece of both recent championship teams and provides solid veteran leadership and experience.

Last year, Foote was second in the league in yardage allowed on running plays up the middle. If he can do that on a bad Lions team, I think he still has plenty left in the tank.

Depth is something this team needs at linebacker, and signing him doesn't mean we can't still draft another inside linebacker. Granted, Foote isn't the future of the team at ILB, but he's a winning piece. I'm glad he's coming back.

MasterOfPuppets
03-15-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't know if I agree with that. He was a valuable piece of both recent championship teams and provides solid veteran leadership and experience.

Last year, Foote was second in the league in yardage allowed on running plays up the middle. If he can do that on a bad Lions team, I think he still has plenty left in the tank.

Depth is something this team needs at linebacker, and signing him doesn't mean we can't still draft another inside linebacker. Granted, Foote isn't the future of the team at ILB, but he's a winning piece. I'm glad he's coming back.
how many ilber's do they carry on the 53 ? i look at it like this.... had the steelers re-aquired randle-el last year, would they have used a 3rd rounder on mike wallace ? probably not...:noidea:

steelreserve
03-15-2010, 01:57 AM
how many ilber's do they carry on the 53 ? i look at it like this.... had the steelers re-aquired randle-el last year, would they have used a 3rd rounder on mike wallace ? probably not...:noidea:

I don't think the real plan is for Foote to be the backup. It's for him to be the starter in Timmons' spot, and Timmons to take over Farrior's spot. I don't know whether that'll happen in 2010, but I'd be VERY surprised if Farrior is more than a role player in 2011 and beyond. This pretty much guarantees we'll be solid in the middle for three or four more years.

I also don't think this rules out us taking a future LB at all. Only thing it changes is that it's more likely it will be an OLB or a guy who can play both. Basically, we've solidified our starters for the short term, and a guy like Frazier or Bailey or Woods gets bumped off the roster for a guy who has real potential. A solid win all around. :thumbsup:

I also do love how our motto of "we're going to act as if there's the same salary cap" most likely turned out to be complete BS.

Galax Steeler
03-15-2010, 03:29 AM
I think the signing of Foote is more of Farrior getting less playing time this year. I say we still will get a linebacker in the draft and start getting him ready to play in a year or so.

Rick5895
03-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Having Foote gives us depth at LB. It also allows Timmons to move outside in case of injury to either harrison or Woodley.

Galax Steeler
03-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Steelers: Foote's return would provide flexibility at linebacker
Monday, March 15, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Larry Foote grew up in Detroit and played in college at Michigan, so his desire to return to his hometown last year was understandable.

So is his desire to return to the Steelers. Especially after one season with the Detroit Lions, who followed the NFL's first winless season in 32 years by winning two games in 2009.

One year after leaving the Steelers because he did not want to be a backup, Foote will visit his former team today and, if he passes a morning physical, likely sign a multi-year contract that will continue what has been a flurry of free-agent activity for the Steelers the past eight days.

If Foote signs a contract, he would be the fifth unrestricted free agent signed by the Steelers since last Monday, a busy period of activity in which the team also re-signed free safety Ryan Clark to a four-year, $14 million contract that included a $3 million signing bonus. Foote also would be the second former Steeler to be reunited with his old team, joining wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, who returned after a four-year absence.

Curiously, none of those five unrestricted free agents were brought in to be starters or even considered potential starters, unless there is an injury.

That includes Foote, who will be 30 in June. He will provide depth at inside linebacker, give the Steelers a proven run-stopper and create some flexibility if there were an injury at outside linebacker -- a scenario that would allow the team to move inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons to the outside.

Foote met last week with the Washington Redskins, where former Steelers defensive assistant Lou Spanos is the new linebacker coach; and also with the Arizona Cardinals, where he would be reunited with several former Steelers coaches and players, including head coach Ken Whisenhunt and former linebacker mate Clark Haggans.

But, in each instance, Foote was allowed to leave without signing a contract, something that is not expected to happen with the Steelers, pending a physical.

Foote started all 16 regular-season games in each of his past five seasons with the Steelers and the first 14 with the Lions, extending his streak to 94 in a row. But he missed the last two games of the 2009 season with a foot injury.

Foote met with reporters in Arizona and said he wanted to play for a winning team again. Some of his former teammates with the Steelers said Foote was so discouraged in Detroit that he wasn't the same verbose, outgoing player he was in Pittsburgh.

"I'm begging. I want to get back to a winner," Foote said after meeting with the Cardinals. "I feel more comfortable with a 3-4 [defense]. Pittsburgh wants me back but I want to be a Cardinal and hopefully we can get it done.

"First of all, they're winning. I know 'Whiz'. I know his pedigree, what type of coach he is, the talent they have here. They have a good chance of going back to the Super Bowl."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10074/1042867-66.stm#ixzz0iEVLJTWy

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Pittsburgh wants me back but I want to be a Cardinal and hopefully we can get it done.

That pretty much says it all for me. He wants to be a Cardinal then let him be a Cardinal.

Steeldude
03-15-2010, 08:10 AM
that sucks. i would rather have andra davis. well i guess i get to see more plays of foote getting runover. :rofl:

steelerdave1969
03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20100314/SPORTS0101/3140329/1004/SPORTS/Ex-Lion-Larry-Foote-set-to-rejoin-Steelers

The contract hasn't been finalized yet, but he's agreed to come back for what looks like three years.

I for one am pretty excited to see him back.

This is all I needed to see from his mouth after visiting the cardinals.. I hope something goes wrong and he doesnt get signed back with the Steelers.
"I'm begging. I want to get back to a winner," Foote said after meeting with the Cardinals. "I feel more comfortable with a 3-4 [defense]. Pittsburgh wants me back but I want to be a Cardinal and hopefully we can get it done.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10074/1042867-66.stm#ixzz0iFloRkHS

vrabinec
03-15-2010, 09:30 AM
That pretty much says it all for me. He wants to be a Cardinal then let him be a Cardinal.

This is hysterical. Does he think the Cards fans will be more forgiving when he disappears for ten plays at a time?

StainlessStill
03-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Good depth move. He was a good linebacker, not great, but good. It's good to have a guy like that on the roster, period, esp as a backup. He's no longer starter money material, so having him agree to a limited role was key since we are no longer forced to give him starting money to stay.

His time with Detroit was worthless.

XxKnightxX
03-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I like the possible signing but....LARRY STFU!!!! " I want to go to a winner but I wasn't to be a Cardinal"? Wtf that's a hell of an oxymoron after the cardinals have lost Dansby, Rolle, and basically the guy who kept em alive Kurt Warner (where was the winning defense in SB XLIII and in last years wild card playoff?). There's a reason why you went to the redskins and to Steelers west and you didn't get any offers. Anyway besides my rant, this is another move to the Steelers who for one are trying to move up in the draft or focus on drafting at certain positions. But besides the draft the team is trying to stick to its roots and going with the old formula that got em to the super bowls. Solid defense and solid ST with a corss your fingers offense lol.

chacha
03-15-2010, 10:23 AM
I was hoping he'd come back, but if he wants to be a Cardinal let him rot out there like a hot carcass in the sun! :mad:

On second thought, they do have really nice weather there...

Steelers>NFL
03-15-2010, 10:27 AM
He coming back to the Steelers.
And Farrior may be on the way out!

steelreserve
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Why does everybody get so hung up on him saying "I want to be a Cardinal?"

Of course you say that if you just visited them and you're looking for a nice contract.

If he just visited the Redskins, he'd be saying he wanted to be on the Redskins. If he just visited the 49ers, he'd be saying he wanted to be on the 49ers. That type of shit happens all the time.

fansince'76
03-15-2010, 11:05 AM

Once Beer Bong Boy steps in at QB for them next year, I doubt they'll remain a "winner" for long.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Its a bit much, but think of it this way. This could be the final year before a lockout and if football resumes in 2 seasons, then Farrior will be released or retire........then the Steelers have experienced LB's in Foote and Timmons on the roster.

I still think and HOPE they draft a LB to be the replacement for Foote or Farrior. Just say they draft Pat Angerer or Micah Johnson......they will probably still carry 8-9LB's.

Harrison, Timmons, Farrior, Woodley, Foote, Fox, Rookie, Frazier, Bailey or (rookie OLB). Fox or Foote as 1st reserves is OK for now. A rookie pick may outduel any special teamers too.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Outside of depth "incase" of an injury this signing pointless.

He is not starting over Timmons, and Farrior isnt done yet. Hopefully we didn't pay a lot for that muffler, lol

Fire Haley
03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Good move.

We got our run stuffer back. Foote knows Timmons spent half the year in the tub - he'll see plenty of playing time as a "back-up".

And after that fiasco with Troy that cost them the season, the Steelers want dependable back-ups to fill in for injury.

It's utter chaos on the Cards boards - so he snubs them and comes here for less money , ha ha

http://forums.azcardinals.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

WTF??? Foote picking the steelers over the cardinals! MAN!!!

wow! the cards really screwed this one up

wow he was a great player we let slip away he could of easily replaced dansby for way less money

Incredible!! Foote signed for 3 yrs at 9 million with less than 2 million signing bonus. WHAT IS UP WITH THE CARDS?

Cards absolutely failed on this one. No reason they shouldn’t have gave him that money Pitt dished out, when our lb core is so weak as it is.

Steelers>NFL
03-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Good move.

We got our run stuffer back. Foote knows Timmons spent half the year in the tub - he'll see plenty of playing time as a "back-up".

And after that fiasco with Troy that cost them the season, the Steelers want dependable back-ups to fill in for injury.

It's utter chaos on the Cards boards - so he snubs them and comes here for less money , ha ha

http://forums.azcardinals.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

WTF??? Foote picking the steelers over the cardinals! MAN!!!

wow! the cards really screwed this one up

wow he was a great player we let slip away he could of easily replaced dansby for way less money

Incredible!! Foote signed for 3 yrs at 9 million with less than 2 million signing bonus. WHAT IS UP WITH THE CARDS?

Cards absolutely failed on this one. No reason they shouldn’t have gave him that money Pitt dished out, when our lb core is so weak as it is.
If the contract terms mentioned above is true, then this is a good signing.

Fire Haley
03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Better than this guy

The Arizona Cardinals announced Monday, March 15, that they have agreed to terms with free-agent LB Paris Lenon (Rams) on a three-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

OX1947
03-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't know about you guys but I am loving the non-salary cap era so far. 9 mil for 3 years for Foote. That is why he isn't a Cardinal. 3.9 million the first year. Heck, that is some great money for a "back up" linebacker.

I do not know why so many Steeler fans do not like Foote. I don't believe he was average. He was durable, played his role and was a great locker room guy. Steelers now have another guy to cover in case of injury and SP guy who can improve the SP teams. This would have been a perfect off season had the ben thing not happened....

pete74
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
i think were paying him a little to much but im happy he is back

OneForTheToe
03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Its a bit much, but think of it this way. This could be the final year before a lockout and if football resumes in 2 seasons, then Farrior will be released or retire........then the Steelers have experienced LB's in Foote and Timmons on the roster.

I still think and HOPE they draft a LB to be the replacement for Foote or Farrior. Just say they draft Pat Angerer or Micah Johnson......they will probably still carry 8-9LB's.

Harrison, Timmons, Farrior, Woodley, Foote, Fox, Rookie, Frazier, Bailey or (rookie OLB). Fox or Foote as 1st reserves is OK for now. A rookie pick may outduel any special teamers too.

Which is why I say give up some of those draft picks to move up and get a linebacker, corner, or NT. There is not room for more than a few draft picks on this roster anyways.

OneForTheToe
03-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Also, this is insurance if Woodly is not resigned. Although I don't think Woodley's spot is Timmons preferred side, he could fill in there if Woodley bolts in FA.

Steeldude
03-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Good move.

We got our run stuffer back.

:noidea: since when was foote a run stuffer? he was pretty much either mowed down or pushed back. he would take bad angles and/or wait for the ball carrier to come to him.

he stated he wanted to play for the cards, not the steelers. what do the steelers do? they overpay him to play backup LB. the lions didn't want any part foote after 2009.

fyi, foote was statistically the most burned LB in pass coverage in the NFL last year.

Steeldude
03-15-2010, 12:52 PM
so much for drafting an ILB this year.

steelreserve
03-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Personally, I love the way we handled the money part of this deal. Just like Hampton and Clark, we frontload it in the uncapped year, so yeah, we're overpaying by a couple million now, the one time when it doesn't matter. Then when it does count, we're underpaying by a couple million.

I don't think we overpaid by too much, though, because I think we're paying Foote to be the starter. If not this year, then the year after. Because I don't think Farrior is going to be starting at age 37.

Fire Haley
03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
since when was foote a run stuffer? he was pretty much either mowed down or pushed back. he would take bad angles and/or wait for the ball carrier to come to him..

that sounds like Timmons you're talking bout

You left out this part

Foote knows Timmons spent half the year in the tub - he'll see plenty of playing time as a "back-up".

Fire Haley
03-15-2010, 01:41 PM
i think were paying him a little to much but im happy he is back

There's no such thing as "too much money" in an uncapped year, then a year or two with no football.

spend spend spend - gear up for another run - push both of Ben's trials into the lock-out years and we're set

SteelMember
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Wasn't 3 mil per "overpaying" when he left? :noidea:

I guess we're just buying some time. We seem to be doing a lot of that lately.
Although, Hampton was a big time NEED. He was going to be much more difficult to replace.

So who's next? Kinda fast Willie.

Preacher
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM

True, but this takes care of the right now. We were very weak behind our four LB's. Fox was the only guy in there that even showed something.

Now, we have some more breathing room, and can still draft a guy if he falls to us. No, I think this is a very good signing. On top of everything else, we have a guy that can contribute in the first game if he is called upon. No need to take take to learn the system.

I have always thought he was average, a placeholder between the previous greats in our system and the next set of greats in our system. I still think that. But as a backup... I'll take him hands down.

jonslow
03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
True, but this takes care of the right now. We were very weak behind our four LB's. Fox was the only guy in there that even showed something.

Now, we have some more breathing room, and can still draft a guy if he falls to us. No, I think this is a very good signing. On top of everything else, we have a guy that can contribute in the first game if he is called upon. No need to take take to learn the system.

I have always thought he was average, a placeholder between the previous greats in our system and the next set of greats in our system. I still think that. But as a backup... I'll take him hands down.

Well put. I think people are just reading into the signing way too much. He was added to increase our depth at linebacker and give us some breathing room for 2010. He's not coming back as a defensive savior or a guy who's going to start every game and play every down. When it comes down to it, I'll take Foote's return and be very happy about it, because having solid, experienced linebackers in a 3-4 is crucial. We can't afford to have someone go down for the year and be forced to start Fox or another placeholder on the roster. We can still draft a linebacker or two. Foote is an insurance policy.

steelerchad
03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
He coming back to the Steelers.
And Farrior may be on the way out!

This is kind of what I was thinking. Farrior clearly lost a step last year and admitted as much himself in his post season interview. If Foote takes his old spot, maybe a quicker Timmons slides over to Farrior's spot and won't be such a liability in pass coverage.We then have an experienced 5th LBer for depth in Farrior for the next 2 years or so. I think we will draft an inside LBer in the first 2 rounds of this or next years draft.

Preacher
03-15-2010, 02:00 PM
. Foote is an insurance policy.

Exactly...

and thanks!

SteelersLUFC
03-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Always luke foote glad to see him back BUT this carry on of releasing players and signing them again is annoying

steeltheone
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I guess it helps depth. We have made no moves to get younger on a already old defense that showed it's age last year.. I'm hoping this does not backfire

Indo
03-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I think I would have rather gotten Scott Fujita from the Saints----he went to the Stains----I wish we would have made a play for him...

St33lersguy
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm glad Foote is back, we could use his experience, and he's not entering his late 30s unlike another superbowl starter at ILB

XxKnightxX
03-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Another thing we gotta factor in his signing is Familiarity of the Zone Blitz system. If Farrior goes down, Foote can step in and be the vocal coordinator for the defense while timmons still has time to learn it since hes been put all over the place.

EDIT: Also although Foote isnt a very athletically gifted LBer, he was great for depth and he was very smart.

ETL
03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if we draft a ILB and Farrior is cut after training camp. I know to some people that is blasphemy but it is what it is. (and farrior is one of my favorite players).

Galax Steeler
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if we draft a ILB and Farrior is cut after training camp. I know to some people that is blasphemy but it is what it is. (and farrior is one of my favorite players).

I can't help but to believe that Farriors days are numbered as well. He looked slow last year compared to year before.

steelreserve
03-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Or .. we draft a young LB, Farrior is the depth this year instead of, say, Bailey ... and next year, Farrior's gone. I don't see him lasting a hell of a lot longer either, though who knows, I've been surprised before.

Psyychoward86
03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
hot damn guys....chill

he's 29 years old with little no durability issues. The age department is overrated.