PDA

View Full Version : wimbley acquired from browns

Aussie_steeler
03-15-2010, 05:03 AM
The cleanout of the browns continues. Not bad value for a 3rd IMO for the raiders

The Raiders on Sunday traded for Cleveland Browns outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley, the 13th pick of the 2006 NFL draft.

Wimbley, 26, joins defensive lineman Richard Seymour, safety Michael Huff and cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha as former first-round draft picks on Oakland's defense.

The Raiders used the third-round pick they received last year from New England to acquire Wimbley, according to a league source. The Raiders received a third- and fifth-round pick from the Patriots in a trade of defensive end Derrick Burgess last year.

Wimbley, 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds, validated the Browns selection of him so high by notching 11 sacks his rookie season.

However, he recorded only 15 sacks the past three seasons.

"This gives us a guy who has been a strong presence as a pass rusher," Raiders senior executive John Herrera told Associated Press. "He has been very productive."

Overall, Wimbley started 62 of the 63 games he played for the Browns the past four seasons.

He likely will compete for the starting spot occupied by Ricky Brown, Sam Williams and Trevor Scott, at different times, last season.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_14677100?nclick_check=1

SteelMember
03-15-2010, 07:19 AM
This seems like a real head scratcher to me. I thought he was one of the browns better players on defense, and I don't think he was due big money for next year.

Another first rounder gone for a 3rd round pick.

I wonder if Joe Thomas could be had for a 2nd. :wink02:

Nadroj 20
03-15-2010, 11:21 AM
When i first read the thread i thought WE acquired wimbley from the browns haha