PDA

View Full Version : What is the Steelers most pressing need heading into the draft?

pancake
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
I think we need a shut down CB, not sure if there is one in the draft.

jonslow
03-15-2010, 08:17 PM
I have to go with the most glaring weakness last year- pass coverage.

After re-signing Clark and having Polamalu healthy, we need to address the secondary at the corner position. We can't run without an o-line, but we can't win if we keep giving up big plays on defense.

blitzburgh56
03-15-2010, 08:27 PM
I have to go with the most glaring weakness last year- pass coverage.

After re-signing Clark and having Polamalu healthy, we need to address the secondary at the corner position. We can't run without an o-line, but we can't win if we keep giving up big plays on defense.

Insert Joe Haden PLEASE.

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd have to say CB.

NJarhead
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
We have a number of pressing needs, but having to choose the biggest one...I say CB.

Psyychoward86
03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Lol, CB are you guys serious? Ike had one down year, Willie Gay just went through his first full year of starting, and we have 2 CB's behind them with a wealth of potential that havent had much of a chance to prove themselves yet. Interior Linemen. That's definitely the biggest need. Oh sure, we had a potent passing attack, and Rashard ripped it up, but Hartwig is probably gone next season, along with Trai Essex. The only reliable linemen we have are Kemoeatu and Colon. And only Kemo plays inside. A bolstered rungame will protect Ben and keep our defense fresh, which is greatly needed for our fire zone blitz schemes. But i'll take the BPA anyways...

NJarhead
03-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Lol, CB are you guys serious? Ike had one down year, Willie Gay just went through his first full year of starting, and we have 2 CB's behind them with a wealth of potential that havent had much of a chance to prove themselves yet. Interior Linemen. That's definitely the biggest need. Oh sure, we had a potent passing attack, and Rashard ripped it up, but Hartwig is probably gone next season, along with Trai Essex. The only reliable linemen we have are Kemoeatu and Colon. And only Kemo plays inside. A bolstered rungame will protect Ben and keep our defense fresh, which is greatly needed for our fire zone blitz schemes. But i'll take the BPA anyways...

Our secondary as a whole..SUCKED. That unit alone cost us more games than any other. And I'd go for a tackle before I'd take a guard as I STILL don't think colon should be on the outside.

taztroy43
03-15-2010, 09:52 PM
we need a CB and a S comes in close second....lol.....

Vincent
03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
I voted corner, but my gut says BAP. C, NT, OL would be just fine.

Dan Williams NT in the 1st.

Chris Cook CB in the 2nd

John Jerry T in the 3rd

NEPAsteeler
03-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I just went with CB but if Troy goes down again, I just pray we don't see the mess we saw this past season.

Steel_Bus_24
03-16-2010, 12:50 AM
I can definitely see the need for some more maulers on the OL-DL....but I just keep picturing our DBs blowing chance after chance to stop the raiders last year, and will have to say its that position

We need a guy other then Troy that can pick it off

Im really hoping we get Haden, Thomas,or Wilson

Galax Steeler
03-16-2010, 03:44 AM
we need a CB and a S comes in close second....lol.....

That is the way I voted. I think we need a shutdown corner if not then I would take Thomas at the safety position.

SteelerFanInStl
03-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Our secondary as a whole..SUCKED. That unit alone cost us more games than any other. And I'd go for a tackle before I'd take a guard as I STILL don't think colon should be on the outside.

:iagree: It wasn't the OL that was blowing those leads in the 4th quarter last year. Yes, we need help on the OL too and I'd be happy with an OT in the first if one of the top ones falls to us but we need to take a CB early too.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-16-2010, 11:35 AM
That is the way I voted. I think we need a shutdown corner if not then I would take Thomas at the safety position.

:thumbsup:

I'm still thinking Thomas...but think that McCourty has a lot more ability than people give him credit for...I rate him as the third best "true" CB behind Haden and Wilson....and he might be the best fit for our system.

BKAnthem
03-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Kyle Wilson Please.....

jollyrob68
03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
We Need to get pressure on the QB and that means keeping Smith & Kiesel fresh but are old and when we lose Aaron we dont make playoffs or are 1 and done. D Line who can rotate ie:Jared Odrick or replace weak link in the O line( Hartwig) with MAurkice Pouncey.
Lineman aren't the sexy pick but when we use to take lineman in the first we were winners. Now old age has jumped up and bite us in the ass.
If Earl Thomas is there I say take him because he's rated higher than Pouncey or Odrick and can do double duty at Safety or CB. I see him as a corner because we just resigned Clark.

jonslow
03-16-2010, 03:28 PM
We Need to get pressure on the QB and that means keeping Smith & Kiesel fresh but are old and when we lose Aaron we dont make playoffs or are 1 and done. D Line who can rotate ie:Jared Odrick or replace weak link in the O line( Hartwig) with MAurkice Pouncey.
Lineman aren't the sexy pick but when we use to take lineman in the first we were winners. Now old age has jumped up and bite us in the ass.
If Earl Thomas is there I say take him because he's rated higher than Pouncey or Odrick and can do double duty at Safety or CB. I see him as a corner because we just resigned Clark.

We do just fine getting pressure on opposing quarterbacks. 47 sacks last year was near the top of the league. Yes, we need depth on the d-line, but I can see Hood getting more playing time this year. It's not really a pressing need like defensive backs are at this point. I agree that Thomas is a pretty good pick if he falls to us. I wouldn't mind Kyle Wilson either.

St33lersguy
03-16-2010, 07:57 PM
DL anyone? One player on the DL is under 30, and being on the 3-4 DL can cause a lot of wear and tear. End of discussion.

pancake
03-17-2010, 07:03 PM
DL anyone? One player on the DL is under 30, and being on the 3-4 DL can cause a lot of wear and tear. End of discussion.

Coaches like the Harris kid who is under 30. I like to see another youngster on the DL, but I think we need a CB in the worst way.

mulldog24
03-24-2010, 11:26 AM
I say we take best DB available in the 1st like Thomas,Wilson,McCourty. This draft is deep at OL and DL and we should be able to get good ones in the 2nd or 3rd like R. Saffold OL(Indiana) or L. Joseph DL(E. Carolina).

steelerdave1969
03-28-2010, 03:47 AM
I think we need a shut down CB, not sure if there is one in the draft.

Pancake my friend I dont think anyone knows at this point, but I would love to take a chance on DB Kyle Wilson. I think this guy is gonna be very special at the NFL level. I voted DB but I also know that if our LB's can get more pressure on the QB's then that makes the DB's look alot better. . . and of course with Troy Polomalu back healthy will make a Huge difference.

SteelerFanInStl
03-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Pancake my friend I dont think anyone knows at this point, but I would love to take a chance on DB Kyle Wilson. I think this guy is gonna be very special at the NFL level. I voted DB but I also know that if our LB's can get more pressure on the QB's then that makes the DB's look alot better. . . and of course with Troy Polomalu back healthy will make a Huge difference.

I'd love to see the Steelers take Wilson. I've thought all along that he'd be there at #18 but after his pro day, it seems that he's really moving up and now we might not have a chance to get him.

pete74
03-28-2010, 09:33 AM
I'd love to see the Steelers take Wilson. I've thought all along that he'd be there at #18 but after his pro day, it seems that he's really moving up and now we might not have a chance to get him.

it wouldnt surprise me if he was taken before haden because i feel he is the best cb on the board and would love to have him. there will be some good ones in the 2nd round if we miss wilson and decide to go another direction but we better take one in the 1st two rounds. there are to many good cb's this year to pass on one

GrizzlyDean
03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
I think biggest need is to get a replacement for Farrior. We have two young CB's we drafted last year. I would like to see what they can do when given a chance, we must have seen something in them hence we drafted them early.

Sharkissle29
03-29-2010, 06:24 PM
im the loner that went safety....after troy and clark, we have absolutely no one. and you know odds are the both of them dont stay healthy the entire season the way they play the game.

St33lersguy
03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I think we need to draft atleast 2 3-4 DL. Only one DL under 30 got playing time last year, Ziggy Hood, and he got little playing time at that. I think the steelers should target Dan Williams because they need a NT. Hampton will be 33 by the time the season begins, his backup Hoke will be 34

Chidi29
03-29-2010, 09:33 PM
I will say this about cornerback. While our secondary was obviously down last year, I really didn't see the issue as being something completely new. It's not like losing Bryant McFadden meant that Darrelle Revis just signed somewhere else. In fact, if memory serves, Gay put up very similar numbers to McFadden.

The difference was partially due to Troy. The thing about this defense is that yeah, it lets you nickel and dime your way down the field and doesn't depend on ball hawking corners, but with a playmaker like Troy, those types of plays are masked and forgotten about when you have Troy making a big play once or twice a game. Without that, our scheme of playing corners off and not having ballhawks at corner was exposed and those "big plays" were gone.

When was the last time we had a shutdown cornerback? Woodson? We got on fine without one the past ten years or so. Yes, you can't blame the poor play solely on Troy. Other guys, most notabley Clark, seemed to try too hard to fill that void, played too aggressively, and as a result, played dumb. Keys to a LeBeau defense:

1. Support the run
2. Be a willing tackler
3. Don't let up the big play (Which means playing smart)

Now don't get me wrong, it'd be great if we magically had a Revis or Nnamdi on our team tomorrow. I'd be the first one attempting to pick my jaw off the ground. But it isn't a need. It's a luxury. If a corner turns out to be BPA, then I won't be that mad about taking one. But Gay was better than people give him credit for (Again, lack of Troy makes the mistakes stick out that much more), and I'd like to see what Burnett - who was viewed higher as a starting corner than Deshea was, for whatever that is worth (since Deshea really dropped off) - and Lewis - who was hurt and struggled to get a hat on special teams - can do.

Fun fact for you guys. We've only taken two cornerbacks in the first round since 1979. Rod Woodson was great. Chad Scott....not so much.

As for the question, it is tough to come up with an answer because nothing really sticks out after re-signing Clark and Hampton. I voted for OG-C because I think Essex is our worst lineman and Hartwig could be upgraded. All these injuries are concerning me too. Granted, they aren't anything serious, but he dealt with a knee that kept him out for the first two weeks of camp last year, dealt with a shoulder all last year, and just had a cleanup on his shoulder. He isn't getting younger either.

Little bit surprised that DL didn't get a single vote. Hampton is still on the decline and is entering his mid-30s, and I still am on shaky ground on how well Aaron Smith will look coming off a torn rotator cuff to the same arm that suffered a torn bicep two years ago. He isn't getting any younger and his odometer is getting pretty high.

pancake
04-07-2010, 04:06 AM
I will say this about cornerback. While our secondary was obviously down last year, I really didn't see the issue as being something completely new. It's not like losing Bryant McFadden meant that Darrelle Revis just signed somewhere else. In fact, if memory serves, Gay put up very similar numbers to McFadden.

The difference was partially due to Troy. The thing about this defense is that yeah, it lets you nickel and dime your way down the field and doesn't depend on ball hawking corners, but with a playmaker like Troy, those types of plays are masked and forgotten about when you have Troy making a big play once or twice a game. Without that, our scheme of playing corners off and not having ballhawks at corner was exposed and those "big plays" were gone.

When was the last time we had a shutdown cornerback? Woodson? We got on fine without one the past ten years or so. Yes, you can't blame the poor play solely on Troy. Other guys, most notabley Clark, seemed to try too hard to fill that void, played too aggressively, and as a result, played dumb. Keys to a LeBeau defense:

1. Support the run
2. Be a willing tackler
3. Don't let up the big play (Which means playing smart)

Now don't get me wrong, it'd be great if we magically had a Revis or Nnamdi on our team tomorrow. I'd be the first one attempting to pick my jaw off the ground. But it isn't a need. It's a luxury. If a corner turns out to be BPA, then I won't be that mad about taking one. But Gay was better than people give him credit for (Again, lack of Troy makes the mistakes stick out that much more), and I'd like to see what Burnett - who was viewed higher as a starting corner than Deshea was, for whatever that is worth (since Deshea really dropped off) - and Lewis - who was hurt and struggled to get a hat on special teams - can do.

Fun fact for you guys. We've only taken two cornerbacks in the first round since 1979. Rod Woodson was great. Chad Scott....not so much.

As for the question, it is tough to come up with an answer because nothing really sticks out after re-signing Clark and Hampton. I voted for OG-C because I think Essex is our worst lineman and Hartwig could be upgraded. All these injuries are concerning me too. Granted, they aren't anything serious, but he dealt with a knee that kept him out for the first two weeks of camp last year, dealt with a shoulder all last year, and just had a cleanup on his shoulder. He isn't getting younger either.

Little bit surprised that DL didn't get a single vote. Hampton is still on the decline and is entering his mid-30s, and I still am on shaky ground on how well Aaron Smith will look coming off a torn rotator cuff to the same arm that suffered a torn bicep two years ago. He isn't getting any younger and his odometer is getting pretty high.

I seperated NT and DE, NT grabbed a couple of votes, but I was also shocked DE didn't get any votes.

As for me, I am hoping we Kyle Wilson and he turns out better than Chad Scott. :popcorn:

pete74
04-07-2010, 04:38 AM
I think we need to draft atleast 2 3-4 DL. Only one DL under 30 got playing time last year, Ziggy Hood, and he got little playing time at that. I think the steelers should target Dan Williams because they need a NT. Hampton will be 33 by the time the season begins, his backup Hoke will be 34

i agree 100%. i would love to have dan williams and think they may make a move for him but if they cant then i belive they will grab odrick from penn state in the 1st. i know its not a pretty pick but its a position of need. i want williams but odrick wouldnt be bad. we would have hood and odrick as our ends of the future

Steely McSmash
04-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I seperated NT and DE, NT grabbed a couple of votes, but I was also shocked DE didn't get any votes.

Maybe because the starters are under contract for the near future and we have 2 promising rookies from last year's draft??

I vote ILB to replace Farrior in 2011.

Someone up there mentioned that DL and OL class are deep but the DB class is very deep as well. CB in the second round is a good idea IMO.

In the first I'd take McClain, Weatherspoon, Dan Williams in decreasing preference.

GrizzlyDean
04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Maybe because the starters are under contract for the near future and we have 2 promising rookies from last year's draft??

I vote ILB to replace Farrior in 2011.

Someone up there mentioned that DL and OL class are deep but the DB class is very deep as well. CB in the second round is a good idea IMO.

In the first I'd take McClain, Weatherspoon, Dan Williams in decreasing preference.

AGREED

wdsteel
04-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Pouncey or Iupati...run the ball kill the clock will keep the defense off the field more keeping them fresh..
we got beat last year cuss they are on the field more and with old age..they couldnt keep up without troy.

BUT..lol im starting to like Brandon Graham at 18..and trade up to 27(dallas) and get Pouncey..give up 2nd,5th and next year 3rd or 4th.. get cb Chris Cook or Brandon Ghee in 3rd..
so thats OLB , C/RG , CB 1st 3 picks..

Graham would replace Harrison(31) in 2-3 years.
Pouncey would start at RG then move to C next year.
Iupati would start RG then maybe LT next year
Cook,Ghee would press Lewis and Burnett