PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers daily digest: Tony Pike exclusive;Could Steelers be eyeing player

mesaSteeler
03-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers daily digest: Tony Pike exclusive;Could Steelers be eyeing player draft day?
March 16, 6:10 AMPittsburgh Sports ExaminerMatt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d16-Pittsburgh-Steelers-daily-digest-Tony-Pike-exclusiveCould-Steelers-be-eyeing-player-draft-day

PITTSBURGH - There are rumors circulating that the Steelers are waiting for Byron Leftwich to be the go by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers so they could sign him. An NFL source did confirm this for Examiner.com.

But depending on how the Roethlisberger situation plays out, the Steelers may even look towards the draft for a player that they can groom for the future.

Examiner.com caught up with Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike, who by many accounts is the fourth best quarterback available in the draft this year. While some say he is a project because of the fact he struggled in big game situations, there are others who say he has the tools to be a big time NFL quarterback.

His size, 6-foot-6 is a plus as is the fact is able to drop back in the pocket and read the rush. Another positive is the quality of person he is. Pike not only is a good character person but hasn’t run into any trouble while at Cincinnati.

The question now, should Pike drop into the third to fifth rounds, would the Steelers be willing to take a shot on him? Kevin Colbert knows what he brings to the table, as he sat in the Press Box during the Pitt-Cincinnati game and got a first hand look at the prospect in action.

There are those who question his durability because he took a beating during college and was injured his senior year, but one has to remember that the Steelers also took Dennis Dixon who missed most of his senior year because of his potential.

Asked about it, Pike said he is fine.

"It's back to 100 percent, the problem came from the plate that was in there this year," Pike said. "It was a little too small, but they put a bigger one in and it feels great now. I' don't even notice it anymore."

NFLDRAFTDOG, which does a great job analyzing players thinks so. Here's what they have to say.

"The first positive thing that that Pike brings to the table is his size. At 6’6” and 225 pounds, Pike can surely stand up to the pounding that he will get in the NFL. His height will allow him to easily see over his offensive linemen and get the ball down the field better. This is something that the NFL scouts will definitely covet. Pike is also well adept at dropping back to pass and his drop backs are crisp and mechanically sound."

Asked what he felt was his biggest strength, Pike said his height and ability to move around.

"I think being 6-6 helps when you get under center in an NFL offense,' Pike said. "And I've always been pretty accurate. You kind of get that stand that being a big guy, you can't move around but I've always prided myself in my ability to move around.

Although he did not specify where he wanted to play, he says playing in the NFL has been a dream of his since he's been a youth.

"It's a chance that so few have, even in life to play this game and to have this opportunity, And for me, It's a childhood dream of mine to be an NFL player, and all I'm doing each day is trying to improve myself to solidify that dream."

Pike also has a football pedigree as his father played linebacker for Kent State.

"He was kind of the driving force for me," Pike said. "Having that influence to be there with questions, college football is a small class and to have a dad who knows the ins and outs that's a nice thing."

Overall Stats -Passing- -Rushing-
Season Team G Rat Cmp Att Yds Y/A Lng INT TD Sack

2007 CIN 5 79.7 11 20 91 4.6 15 3 1 0

2008 CIN 12 136.4 199 324 2407 7.4 67 11 19 18

2009 CIN 10 149.8 211 338 2520 7.5 68 6 29 12

Career: 27 141.4 421 682 5018 7.4 68 20 49 30

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I just dont see it. Pike is big, but has average arm strength and doesnt throw a consistently good ball. Gets loose on him and wobbly spirals come out at times.

I think he is a big athletic kid that has lots of college experience, but has less arm strength than Dennis Dixon. I guess these guys need something to write about though.

jollyrob68
03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Dan Lefevour is the guy I like.

pete74
03-16-2010, 03:52 PM
i like pike. he will definatly need some work and wont be starting for at least 2 years but he definatly has potential

BKAnthem
03-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I see Pike Going to the Browns...they need a QB of the future and he's sort of local

SteelerFanInStl
03-16-2010, 07:03 PM
I just dont see it. Pike is big, but has average arm strength and doesnt throw a consistently good ball. Gets loose on him and wobbly spirals come out at times.

:iagree: I haven't been impressed by Pike.

pete74
03-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I see Pike Going to the Browns...they need a QB of the future and he's sort of local

i think the browns will try to trade up for clausen

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2010, 11:37 PM

I dont know. I could see them trading up from the 2nd to try and get Colt McCoy at the bottom of the 1st. He fits the bill of a quick decision making QB that can play a west coast offense.

Otherwise, Zac Robinson will be Holmgrens project.

SteelerFanInStl
03-16-2010, 11:52 PM

I don't see them moving up because I don't see the Redskins trading down. I think they'll take Clausen.

SteelerFanInStl
03-16-2010, 11:53 PM

Brady Quinn was 'local'. How'd that work out for them? :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
03-17-2010, 04:57 AM
Brady Quinn was 'local'. How'd that work out for them? :chuckle:

That is so true and look where he is now.