PDA

View Full Version : If Ben really is a jerk

siss
03-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Then lets hear the stories.

I'm not talking about the stuff you hear at the bar or the ones your sisters best friends cousin tells. Im talking about the ones you know to be true. The one you witnessed or have pictures. I say this because I have heard A LOT of good stories of Ben. And I have heard A LOT of bad stories from not so reliable sources.

pete74
03-16-2010, 11:14 AM
The Rooneys are different.

If you've been listening to talk radio, reading columnists and surfing the blogoshpere this week, you know that the Rooney family has been taking some heat. Ben Roethlisberger being accused of sexual assault in Georgia has put them in a tough position. They have tried to run a first class organization and show no patience for players who don't represent the organization well.

In other words, the bad citizens are sent packing.

It's one thing to release a journeyman wide receiver for punching a woman in the face in the middle of a restaurant. It's another to give a $51 million contract to your team MVP and NFL defensive player of the year a few months after he chokes and slaps his baby's mama.

Releasing the starting quarterback and face of the franchise, who has been promised $102 million, is in another stratosphere.

Up to this point, despite the recent, shall we say, inconsistency, in dealing with players who don't know how to treat women, the Rooneys have been different, not just from other NFL owners but from all professional team owners.

Two words for you: Jerry Jones

How about two more: Al Davis

Mark Cuban?

Dan Rooney, who has turned the day to day operations of the team over to his son, Art II, wouldn't be caught dead down on the sidelines during a game, but he would be in the locker room quietly and inconspicuously shaking every player's hand after every game. Dan and Art both have managed to be almost invisible and amazingly accessible at the same time. That's not to say that they both don't know how to manipulate the media for their benefit. Nobody should begrudge them that.

A million years ago, I did a TV report comparing and contrasting the Steelers and Dallas Cowboys. I pointed out that the Steelers' Owner, The Chief, Art Rooney, could be seen wandering around the Steelers' Three Rivers Stadium office every day greeting total strangers when they wandered in the door.

The Cowboys' receptionist told me that she hadn't seen the Cowboys owner, Clint Murchison, in two years.

Dan and the Chief were as down to Earth as any multimillionaire could be. Art II is still relatively new to the position but seems to be cut of the same cloth. I think all three are universally appreciated by the local media. But the media have also made it clear that they will be watching Dan and Art II to see how they will react if Roethlisberger is charged with sexual assault. If the league doesn't suspend him, then the media will be watching to see if the Rooneys do. Actually, it will be hard for Commissioner Roger Goodell not to suspend Roethlisberger indefinitely if he is brought up on charges.

That's what happened to Mike Vick. And he was assaulting dogs.

Despite the well known inconsistencies, the Steelers can still claim the high ground when it comes to maintaining or at least trying to maintain a positive image in the community. If they don't deal with Roethlisberger harshly, no matter the outcome of the cases in Arkansas and Georgia, they'll lose it.

Tiger Woods has hired former Bush 43 Communications Director Ari Fleisher to repair the damage that he did to himself. Ben should do a good scouting job on that situation to see how that turns out, because his image is going to need a complete overhaul.

Ben's a bad guy.

I don't know him and he's never done anything to me to make me dislike him, but there are just too many stories out there about how he mistreats people and expects special treatment himself. In 33 years of covering local sports, I've never come across a player who generated more unsolicited "Why is that guy such a jackass" questions. No player comes close. I've seen his teammates roll their eyes at the mention of his name. I had one guy, who covers the team on a daily basis, tell me that his teammates "despise" him. And he used capital letters. That was the summer before he led them to their last Super Bowl win. So, he may be a little more popular in the locker room now.

We don't know what happened in Georgia between him and his accuser, but here's what we do know: According to reports that I've seen, Roetlisberger rented out the VIP room at the Capital City nightclub and announced that only women would be allowed in. He then told his bodyguards and other members of his posse to go out and bring back some women. Think about that for a minute. This is a 28 year-old guy who's saying to a bar full of college kids, "I'm Ben Roethlisberger and you're not. I have millions of dollars and you don't. Tonight the women belong to me."

Now, that may not make him a criminal but it sure makes him a creep.

And a bad citizen.

madtowndrunkard
03-16-2010, 11:20 AM
I have no personal stories that I have witnessed, but I know of 2 that are documented.

Ben stood up a sick child and his family that I believe was part of the make a wish program. The mother of the child admitted it happened but didn't go anywhere with it because she doesn't want the attention.

Ben also stood up a benefit golf outing 2-3 years ago.. He was found getting drunk w/ his buddies and said he didn't want to participate. He later made up some excuse. The organizer of the golf outing was irate since he had paid Ben to be there. It sounded like a lawsuit was going to happen. I never heard anymore on it, so I'm guessing Ben settled it out of court. This was reported by the media.

I've heard he assaulted 2 different women but that is their word against his.

madtowndrunkard
03-16-2010, 11:33 AM
His actions in that night club would not alarm me he were 23 years old. Once you hit your late 20's some sort of maturity should be expected. Renting out a VIP lounge w/ your buddies and telling your body guards to round up the attractive women is not the actions you would expect from the face of your franchise. If it were a bachelor party I guess I could see that going on and it would be fine. But add this story to the many other stories and it all adds up to Ben being a total jerk.

It's been well documented that most of Ben's teammates hate him....or at least did 2 years ago. Batch told the story to the media that he took Ben aside and told him his career was going down the toilet if he didn't change. He told him his teammates hated him.

Remember Ben's relationship with Plaxico Burress? I think Plax was ben's only friend on the team at that time. What does that tell you?

I also thought Ben's disrespect for Bill Cowher after he left was telling.

I like him as my QB. He's just not a person I would want my kids looking up to.

tony hipchest
03-16-2010, 11:44 AM
i talked to a girl who met ben about a month ago and i posted what she said when i asked if he acted like a jerk . he pretty much was just a dick to her friend cause she mispronounced his name. but he didnt rape them-

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=48854

pete74
03-16-2010, 11:54 AM
my old girlfriend cheated on me with him. they met at an usher concert in the burgh and went out for drinks the next week. she said he was nice but really into himself. tthis was his 1st year and when she met him she had no clue who he was but she said all he talked about was himself. obviously that dosnt make him a bad person and i was kinda glad he took her off my hands because i was getting really sick of her.

Northside Jonny
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
I honestly don't care if he is a jerk as long as he keeps winning Superbowls. It's not like I wanna be friends with the guy I just want to watch him play ball.

madtowndrunkard
03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
my old girlfriend cheated on me with him. they met at an usher concert in the burgh and went out for drinks the next week. she said he was nice but really into himself. tthis was his 1st year and when she met him she had no clue who he was but she said all he talked about was himself. obviously that dosnt make him a bad person and i was kinda glad he took her off my hands because i was getting really sick of her.

yea right :rolleyes::rolleyes:

zulater
03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
He stole from the collection plate and lugied in the sacrement.

Northside Jonny
03-16-2010, 12:05 PM

I bet you it was that dude who got busted impersonating Ben!

madtowndrunkard
03-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Anyone else recall any famous QB's w/ similar reputations?

I know of one first hand. Brett Favre.

He was a notorious partier and womanizer during his first 5 years w/ the Packers. Saw him on a beach in Mexico drunk as a skunk w/ a hottie under each arm. Ran into him at several college bars. Him and Mark Chumura (the guy accused of raping a teenager) used to hit bars all the time and round up chicks. They were out of control but no one cared...and he was never accused of rape as far as I know. Brett had a wife at home while this was all going on. His wife finally put a stop to it and Bret quit the drugs and distanced him self from everyone. (except the media apparently)

I also recall an old Jets QB having quite the reputation as well. This isn't a new thing.

pete74
03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
I bet you it was that dude who got busted impersonating Ben!

hahha, that would be funny but it was him.

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
bring back the "banned" one who's name begins with "JER" and you'll get all kinds of "first hand stories"

fansince'76
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
bring back the "banned" one who's name begins with "JER" and you'll get all kinds of "first hand stories"

IMO, still the single funniest post in the history of this board: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=337484#post337484

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pete74
03-16-2010, 01:03 PM
that is a pretty good post. personally i dont think its true but its good

stlrtruck
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
While he may have handled situations in poor judgment, it doesn't necessarily make him a jerk. I've heard the tales of many players current and former that were either jerks or not. Case in point, Jack Lambert - from what I've heard from fans at St. Vincent College - use to sign autographs on the hill until all of them were signed, but now he won't sign anything unless it's at an autograph session or through his group that aligns everything for it to be signed. Some would say that makes him a jerk.

As much as I'd like to say these guys should sign everyone's autographs or do whatever it is they may have agreed to do, it doesn't mean they aren't human and either forget, just decide they've had enough and don't show, or whatever the reason. The problem is that as fans we seem to come with a "You owe us" mentality. In reality they don't owe us shite.

In 1999, I worked for the Redskins and I learned something then that I've carried with me. Certain players, perform on the field and they believe that gives them a certain "Above It All" status. Daryll Green was the biggest prick when he wasn't on camera. He at one time even threatened to have me fired from my job after he retired (if I was still in the office at that time). But fans don't care about that, they want victories on the field, the rest is just off-season non-sense. Maybe Ben has taken on that mentality, and if he wants to be a jack-arse off-field and off-camera then that's on him and if eventually comes out that he's doing that more often than not, then I'll agree he's a jerk.

But until the bad stories out weigh the good ones, I'll take the human approach with him. Lord knows there are days that I've agreed to do something but I just can't for various reasons - and some of those are, "I just can't handle it today!" The difference being is that I'm just a face in the crowd while Ben is the face of our franchise.

I'd love to see how the judges here would handle such a change in stardom in their life!
Would you sign everything?
What about dinner out with your family?
What about your own down time?
Would you go out with your friends?
Would you be taking time with the opposite sex?
Would you just be a home-body?

It's easy to judge when we're looking in to the glass house rather than from inside it!

SCSTILLER
03-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Good points Stlrtruck. I for one don't know how I would react. I personally like to be left alone, especially when I am out with my wife, so I think I would get a little ticked off. I also would hope that I would understand my position and/or status and would try to be as cordial as possible. OK, again, don't know what I would do. Wouldn't mind finding out for 100+ million dollars though.

On the Ben story points I can chime in a bit. He frequents Charleston, SC alot because supposedly he owns a bar in Kiawah Island and his old college roommate owns one in Charleston also. Some of my students called me on a Sunday and said they saw Ben at a club in downtown Charleston and supposedly he was pretty cool. They said they just wanted to say hi and shake his hand and they said he was cordial and shook their hands and said hi. These are two good kids that I cannot see making up a story, and some of my other friends said that they heard stories of him in town that night so I have to go on that. From that story, he seems OK, but I was not personally there.

Corey120120
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Im not a big fan of ben's but i do understand why he is turning down autographs. I mean could you imagine signing every hat, shirt, jersey, or peice of paper someone brings to you? but if the whole poor little sick girl story is real thats pretty bad.

WH
03-16-2010, 02:12 PM
If i were famous the first thing I would do is have a rubberstamp of my Autograph made and carry it and an ink pad with me at all times.

Can I have an autograph.....bap....there ya go

Would I be thought of as a dick? Probably, but my hands wouldn't ache.

43Hitman
03-16-2010, 02:13 PM
If i were famous the first thing I would do is have a rubberstamp of my Autograph made and carry it and an ink pad with me at all times.

Would I be thought of as a dick? Probably, but my hands wouldn't ache.

Haha, that would be funny. I am picturing Ben and Co. at training camp with stamp pads in hand. :sofunny:

chacha
03-16-2010, 05:29 PM

so now we're really getting to the crux of the reason for all your posts stating he's a bad guy and a bad citizen!
:chuckle:

pete74
03-16-2010, 05:51 PM
so now we're really getting to the crux of the reason for all your posts stating he's a bad guy and a bad citizen!
:chuckle:

i never once said he was a bad citizen nor did i ever say he did it or didnt. i did say that he makes alot of mistakes and needs to mature. as for my old girl, i dated her because she was a model and very pretty. once i got to know her the i realized the horrible personality and lack of brains outweighed the beauty and was trying to find a reason to breakup so i was kinda relived when i found out about her and ben. of course i was a tiny bit mad that i was cheated on but i was happy she would finally be gone

fansince'76
03-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Im not a big fan of ben's but i do understand why he is turning down autographs. I mean could you imagine signing every hat, shirt, jersey, or peice of paper someone brings to you?

Especially when 95% of them will wind up on eBay....

AllD
03-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Dan Marino also had stories in Miami about being aloof, but he is a family man.

chacha
03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
i never once said he was a bad citizen nor did i ever say he did it or didnt. i did say that he makes alot of mistakes and needs to mature. as for my old girl, i dated her because she was a model and very pretty. once i got to know her the i realized the horrible personality and lack of brains outweighed the beauty and was trying to find a reason to breakup so i was kinda relived when i found out about her and ben. of course i was a tiny bit mad that i was cheated on but i was happy she would finally be gone

you make enough posts that have the words bad guy and bad citizen in them. Actually I'm starting to doubt your whole model girlfriend story too, shoot anyone can say whatever they want about Ben just to get their agenda across.

pete74
03-16-2010, 06:48 PM
you make enough posts that have the words bad guy and bad citizen in them. Actually I'm starting to doubt your whole model girlfriend story too, shoot anyone can say whatever they want about Ben just to get their agenda across.

what are you talking about? are you for real? how would that help getting any point across? he didnt know she was dating someone. its obvious your really smart but your detective work sure didnt do you any justice this time. wow. LOL

ps. i never said he was a bad citizen in a single post. i said he was an idiot for being in the batroom but never did i say bad citizen. as for anyone being able to say whatever online, well thats true and for all we know your a 8 year old girl

chacha
03-16-2010, 08:23 PM
that's right Pete, I'm an 8 year old girl who should be allowed to question your statements

Corey120120
03-16-2010, 08:54 PM

Exactly.:banana:

msafford
03-16-2010, 08:58 PM
what are you talking about? are you for real? how would that help getting any point across? he didnt know she was dating someone. its obvious your really smart but your detective work sure didnt do you any justice this time. wow. LOL

ps. i never said he was a bad citizen in a single post. i said he was an idiot for being in the batroom but never did i say bad citizen. as for anyone being able to say whatever online, well thats true and for all we know your a 8 year old girl

that's right Pete, I'm an 8 year old girl who should be allowed to question your statements

Sweet!

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/14576471/384327500.jpg

MaidenIndiana
03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
So what if Big Ben is a jerk, it's you're fault that you don't have tits!:applaudit:

JackHammer
03-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Ben eats kittens. True story.

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 06:36 AM
I've seen Ben at TC out in the blistering hot sun signing autographs and several years back, he was the last Steelers player to leave the autograph area. Hell - I come across bigger jackasses every day out there in "real life".

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 06:38 AM

He drowns puppies too, I hear.

StainlessStill
03-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Ben was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Rick5895
03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Is Ben a jerk or jack ass?, Who knows, for every person who says so, there will be a person who says he is a great guy. I agree with HTG, there are plenty of jerks out there in real life. Football as a profession is a cross section of society, by percentage you will have jerks, a$$holes and even criminals, just like the rest of society. The difference being these are professional athletes and they are held (fair or not) to a higher standard.
Unfortunately, whether they should be or not, these guys are idolized and looked up to by millions of people , primarily kids, and because of that and the money they make I believe they have a responsibility to act accordingly. Blowing off autograph sessions and golf tourneys is one thing, being into yourself and self centered , who cares. But ben should have known better than to put himself in the position he put himself in, in Georgia. Very little doubt in my mind he is innocent, but in todays society there is way too much media attention and with video cameras everywhere and you tube, sometimes you just can't act like Broadway Joe and get away with it. These guys make way too much money to make themselves into easy targets from people looking to make a fast buck. Ben needs to take a step back and realize what he might lose if he keeps up with the questionable decisions. At some point, if the accusations keep coming, one of them WILL stick, guilty or not.

Texasteel
03-17-2010, 08:23 AM

Is that a bad thing?:couch:

43Hitman
03-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Is that a bad thing?:couch:

Only if you're the kitten.:popcorn:

chacha
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
I've seen Ben at TC out in the blistering hot sun signing autographs and several years back, he was the last Steelers player to leave the autograph area. Hell - I come across bigger jackasses every day out there in "real life".

:applaudit: exactly! I've heard the same thing about him signing autographs to the very last person. He is really getting a bad rap now.

plenewken
03-17-2010, 09:52 AM

Several years back, Ben wasn't the same person, neither mentally not physically.
Is he a jerk now? Looks like he is based on his looks and antics. Wearing a Satan t-shirt was completely inappropriate, coming from a $102M franchise QB so based on this alone, yes he is a jerk. He certainly didn't win my respect with this one. His bloated face tells me he's not committed to living like a professional athlete either. Sorry but I don't see Manning, Brady or Brees looking like slobs in the off-season.
I do come across bigger jackasses on a daily basis too but this doesn't make Ben any less of one.

BubbyBrister
03-17-2010, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=plenewken;787048] Wearing a Satan t-shirt was completely inappropriate, /QUOTE]

Have you seen the "satan" shirt? It was not really inappropriate at all.

It's a big, cartoony devil face.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/03/06/ben-roethlisberger-photos-capital-city-nightclub-women-sexual-assault-investigation/

plenewken
03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=plenewken;787048] Wearing a Satan t-shirt was completely inappropriate, /QUOTE]

Have you seen the "satan" shirt? It was not really inappropriate at all.

It's a big, cartoony devil face.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/03/06/ben-roethlisberger-photos-capital-city-nightclub-women-sexual-assault-investigation/

So what? Cartoony or not, and I'm not religious at all, this is very poor taste, coming from a guy making $10M/year as a professional athlete. I also saw pictures of him wearing a t-shirt saying "Drink like a Champion". Another moronic move, IMO.
Ben needs to realize he's scrutinized by many people including kids.
And last but not least, like I said before, looking like a slob isn't helping his image of a mature professional athlete.

Hammer67
03-17-2010, 10:28 AM
He is also 26 years old...still a kid himself in my book.

All Ben needs to do is keep himself out of those situations. I am not defending him, because if he is a turd, he's a turd. But, if you are young, rich, famous, single and like to party....you will find yourself in situations that can get you in trouble, whether it is your fault or not.

Hammer67
03-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Or they come up to you in the John:

Athlete at a urinal taking a leak
Fan: "hey man! Can you sign this??"
Athlete: "Seriously? I'm pissing dude!"
Fan: "Fine, be that way asshole!!"

I would never want to be famous. If I was, i would be such a jerk to those people.

plenewken
03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
He is also 26 years old...still a kid himself in my book.

All Ben needs to do is keep himself out of those situations. I am not defending him, because if he is a turd, he's a turd. But, if you are young, rich, famous, single and like to party....you will find yourself in situations that can get you in trouble, whether it is your fault or not.

He's 28, not 26, and he has a lot of people around him, unlike a regular kid. Lawyers, coaches, agent, PR consultant, sponsors etc...........
You think these people encourage him to wear provocative stuff and act like a jerk in bars and clubs? I don't think so.
There are lots of people who are young, rich, famous, single and like to party but they don't put themselves in trouble like Ben seems to do on a regular basis.
Take Crosby, Malkin and Fleury for example, ever heard of off-season trouble involving them? And they're all younger than Ben.

Hammer67
03-17-2010, 10:43 AM
He's 28, not 26, and he has a lot of people around him, unlike a regular kid. Lawyers, coaches, agent, PR consultant, sponsors etc...........
You think these people encourage him to wear provocative stuff and act like a jerk in bars and clubs? I don't think so.
There are lots of people who are young, rich, famous, single and like to party but they don't put themselves in trouble like Ben seems to do on a regular basis.
Take Crosby, Malkin and Fleury for example, ever heard of off-season trouble involving them? And they're all younger than Ben.

28, 26, whatever...he's in his 20's.

Anyway, you and I are in agreement. Like I said, it's his fault (whether he is guilty or not) for putting himself in these situations.

I know 30+ guys who are dumb when it comes to partying and women. I know 20 year old family men. Maturity doesn't = age.

memphissteelergirl
03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Is Ben a jerk or jack ass?, Who knows, for every person who says so, there will be a person who says he is a great guy. I agree with HTG, there are plenty of jerks out there in real life. Football as a profession is a cross section of society, by percentage you will have jerks, a$$holes and even criminals, just like the rest of society. The difference being these are professional athletes and they are held (fair or not) to a higher standard.
Unfortunately, whether they should be or not, these guys are idolized and looked up to by millions of people , primarily kids, and because of that and the money they make I believe they have a responsibility to act accordingly. Blowing off autograph sessions and golf tourneys is one thing, being into yourself and self centered , who cares. But ben should have known better than to put himself in the position he put himself in, in Georgia. Very little doubt in my mind he is innocent, but in todays society there is way too much media attention and with video cameras everywhere and you tube, sometimes you just can't act like Broadway Joe and get away with it. These guys make way too much money to make themselves into easy targets from people looking to make a fast buck. Ben needs to take a step back and realize what he might lose if he keeps up with the questionable decisions. At some point, if the accusations keep coming, one of them WILL stick, guilty or not.

Excellent post! :applaudit:

plenewken
03-17-2010, 10:56 AM
28, 26, whatever...he's in his 20's.

Anyway, you and I are in agreement. Like I said, it's his fault (whether he is guilty or not) for putting himself in these situations.

I know 30+ guys who are dumb when it comes to partying and women. I know 20 year old family men. Maturity doesn't = age.

Yep. I was married with a 3 yo kid when I was 28 and it seems that I had much more brains than Ben.
I appreciate what he does as a QB during the football season but besides that, I have no respect and admiration for the guy as a person.
I can't even say I hope he's not guilty cause I don't really care. If he's not charged, he better quit f*cking around cause the Rooneys won't tolerate another glitch. If he's convicted, the Steelers will find a replacement and we'll be fine.
Heck, we went to the Superbowl with O'Donnell as our QB so there's no reason we won't make it to the Superbowl without Ben if he's canned.

vasteeler
03-17-2010, 11:12 AM
:doh: thats for any one questioning what kind of shirt he wears geez

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I saw this one posted that sounds kind of interesting.

nancy 3-07-2010 7:23PM
He was the most arrogant and the most ingnorant person in our building. I was his neighbor. He parked his Escalade at the building main enterance and renters or tenants have to find another enterance/exit to enter or exit the building. Carried groceries into or garbage bags out of the building through that door was a challenge. It was a blessings when oru landlor kick him out. We had a pizza party after he was gone.

This one is better:

PghBurgher 3-08-2010 12:05PM
I'm from Pittsburgh and I have to tell you, it's always something with this guy. He threw a party at a cabana bar 2 summers ago at my apartment complex and had his security guards only admit women to his taped off part of the club. Not only did he mess with at least one married woman,but he left a 40$ tip on a 1,400$ tab! (not rumors, coroboration from management on both accounts!)One of the girls fiance's got thrown out for trying to go after him. Plus, he ruined one of Arnold Palmer's courses and was banned from all Palmer courses from big Arnie himself (hey Ben, stop doing donuts in your golf cart!) And of course my personal favorite story, his rookie year, when he brought women back to his house and walked into his bedroom naked wearing a green condom. If you feel the need for speed bro, grab a box of Kleenex and stay at home surfing Terradise.com dude

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/07/big-ben-is-officially-brain-dead/4

pete74
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I saw this one posted that sounds kind of interesting.

nancy 3-07-2010 7:23PM
He was the most arrogant and the most ingnorant person in our building. I was his neighbor. He parked his Escalade at the building main enterance and renters or tenants have to find another enterance/exit to enter or exit the building. Carried groceries into or garbage bags out of the building through that door was a challenge. It was a blessings when oru landlor kick him out. We had a pizza party after he was gone.

This one is better:

PghBurgher 3-08-2010 12:05PM
I'm from Pittsburgh and I have to tell you, it's always something with this guy. He threw a party at a cabana bar 2 summers ago at my apartment complex and had his security guards only admit women to his taped off part of the club. Not only did he mess with at least one married woman,but he left a 40$ tip on a 1,400$ tab! (not rumors, coroboration from management on both accounts!)One of the girls fiance's got thrown out for trying to go after him. Plus, he ruined one of Arnold Palmer's courses and was banned from all Palmer courses from big Arnie himself (hey Ben, stop doing donuts in your golf cart!) And of course my personal favorite story, his rookie year, when he brought women back to his house and walked into his bedroom naked wearing a green condom. If you feel the need for speed bro, grab a box of Kleenex and stay at home surfing Terradise.com dude

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/07/big-ben-is-officially-brain-dead/4

i like the green condom one, thats funny as hell. as for ben, some love him some hate him. personally i just want him to keep winning superbowls and stay out of trouble with the law, anything else he does, i can care less. as for the steelers, we need to start looking for a good qb if dixon isnt it. ben gets in trouble again he is gone or if he keeps getting scacked 50 times a year he is gone. he already has to many concussions and cant take many more so we need a good backup incase he goes down.

stlrtruck
03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
So what if Big Ben is a jerk, it's you're fault that you don't have tits!:applaudit:

Scientifically speaking, it's my father's fault!!! :chuckle: :flap:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-17-2010, 03:52 PM
There is really no way to confirm any of these supposed stories.

Some of them are probably true.

Some people have to realize that no person no matter the fame has to sign autographs. It isn't your right to get one. They don't legally have to give you one. When someone is out to dinner with family or friends, they don't want to be bothered for photos or autographs. When they are at a nightclub, they are there to have a good time, not take photos or give autographs.

At training camp, the only time they absolutely have to give autographs is their designated time at autograph section. Some teams designate that every player gives autographs for so much time at least once during camp, some teams have a set schedule, some teams leave it up to the various players and coaches.

Sometimes the players just want to hit the showers after practicing in the August heat. They are tired, they have meetings later in the day, and they just want to relax some. None of that is standing out in the sun in your pads for another two hours with a cramped hand signing autographs.

And when people bring up the Steelers of the 70's who signed autographs until all were signed, that was a much different time. Now most of those autographed cards, posters, footballs, shirts, jerseys, and Terrible Towels aren't treasured keepsakes, they are sold on EBAY and other sites, and in people's stores. Some players don't want to sign autographs for that exact reason. Enough people have made money off of their name in their lifetime. Their college, the NCAA, their team owner(s), coaches, Nike, Reebok, etc. At least they see money for that and got a free education, or most of one. They aren't going to help someone make money off of their name if they aren't going to see profit from it.

And if Ben's a jerk, so what? A lot of people are jerks. People in high school are jerks. Coworkers are jerks. People you meet on the street are jerks. If he wants to be a jerk, he has that right.

ricksteelers55
03-17-2010, 08:21 PM
There is really no way to confirm any of these supposed stories.

Some of them are probably true.

Some people have to realize that no person no matter the fame has to sign autographs. It isn't your right to get one. They don't legally have to give you one. When someone is out to dinner with family or friends, they don't want to be bothered for photos or autographs. When they are at a nightclub, they are there to have a good time, not take photos or give autographs.

At training camp, the only time they absolutely have to give autographs is their designated time at autograph section. Some teams designate that every player gives autographs for so much time at least once during camp, some teams have a set schedule, some teams leave it up to the various players and coaches.

Sometimes the players just want to hit the showers after practicing in the August heat. They are tired, they have meetings later in the day, and they just want to relax some. None of that is standing out in the sun in your pads for another two hours with a cramped hand signing autographs.

And when people bring up the Steelers of the 70's who signed autographs until all were signed, that was a much different time. Now most of those autographed cards, posters, footballs, shirts, jerseys, and Terrible Towels aren't treasured keepsakes, they are sold on EBAY and other sites, and in people's stores. Some players don't want to sign autographs for that exact reason. Enough people have made money off of their name in their lifetime. Their college, the NCAA, their team owner(s), coaches, Nike, Reebok, etc. At least they see money for that and got a free education, or most of one. They aren't going to help someone make money off of their name if they aren't going to see profit from it.

And if Ben's a jerk, so what? A lot of people are jerks. People in high school are jerks. Coworkers are jerks. People you meet on the street are jerks. If he wants to be a jerk, he has that right.

Sorry but I dont agree.Pro athletes,actors,musicians are getting paid millions and millions to entertain people but there is a price to it.Most of these people dont even pay the bill when they go to the restaurant or in a nightclub.

You dont like being bothered when you're eating with your family or friends then stay at home you wont be bother.

You dont want to sign autographs ? Then dont become a professional athlete buddy and let someone else do the ''dirty work''.

Give me 100 mil over 8 years and trust me I'll sign autographs every day of the year for 8 years

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 08:32 PM
You dont like being bothered when you're eating with your family or friends then stay at home you wont be bother.

You dont want to sign autographs ? Then dont become a professional athlete buddy and let someone else do the ''dirty work''.

Give me 100 mil over 8 years and trust me I'll sign autographs every day of the year for 8 years

So - let me get this straight, Rick. Pro athletes are supposed to be hermits, live in their closets at home and not be able to get out with their families and enjoy life? Before they are pros, they are human beings and have every right to enjoy their free time out to dinner, taking in a movie, going shopping, etc., without people so rudely interrupting their time with their families, S/O's or friends. I'm not even a pro athlete and I don't like it when people interrupt my private time when I'm out and about. While I don't mind an acquaintance or friend stopping by my table to say hello, how are ya, I do mind when they chirp away like magpies for 20 minutes while my food is getting cold. That chaps my ass. :mad:

NV STEELERS 723
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
This Pete74 guy is really making me laugh !....so glad I stopped in here !!!!!

xbroughneck
03-17-2010, 10:17 PM

I think there's a limit to the level of assholery that's acceptable. Fine line.

Ben may be close to crossing that line though.

pancake
03-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Big Ben is on tonights South Park... :rofl:

PalmerSteel
03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
keep in mind, ben is sitll my favorite player, FOR NOW!

heard this from a guy that doesnt have any motive or reason to lie about it: at a small diner where ben was. ben had something small and quick to eat and drink. signed a thing or 2, not really bothered. after he was done, he went to get up and was leaving without paying for the bill or tip. waitress went after him in the parking lot and said he owes for meal and tip. he chuckled and said "dont you know who i am?". she said "yes i do, and let me tell you who i am: i have 2 kids at home i need to shelter and feed and i need a tip and i am not paying for your meal". i guess he tossed cash at her and left.

true, there is alot of jerks out there and they have every right in the world to be. BUT not star players for the pittsburgh steelers. not for long anyway.

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 12:22 PM

heard this from a guy that doesnt have any motive or reason to lie about it: at a small diner where ben was. ben had something small and quick to eat and drink. signed a thing or 2, not really bothered. after he was done, he went to get up and was leaving without paying for the bill or tip. waitress went after him in the parking lot and said he owes for meal and tip. he chuckled and said "dont you know who i am?". she said "yes i do, and let me tell you who i am: i have 2 kids at home i need to shelter and feed and i need a tip and i am not paying for your meal". i guess he tossed cash at her and left.

true, there is alot of jerks out there and they have every right in the world to be. BUT not star players for the pittsburgh steelers. not for long anyway.

I heard from a guy who has no reason to lie that ben is personally trying to wipe out world hunger. This is true cause i heard it from a guy who has no reason to lie

chacha
03-18-2010, 01:33 PM
^ :iagree: I heard the same thing from a guy who had no reason to lie! Ben is a hero!

billybob49
03-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't know Ben personally , and i try to be carefull what i read into .I'm sure there are a lot of us right here on this site that have been accused of something along our lifes way , that we did not really do . If a pattern is starting to develope , it should be addressed as soon as possible .
I've met people that my friends said were jerks , and a$$holes , but when i got to know them they were really not at all like i was told . That has easily gone the other way also . I have met people that were said to be so cool , and the nicest person you would ever want to meet , only to have a different encounter .
There are many lies out there to be told , but there is only one truth ! Hope it all comes to light real soon , because this whole Ben thing is bringin me down . The moral of the story is , unless i experience first hand something negative about someone ,or they are found guilty by a panel of thier peers , i am inclined to give them the benifit of the doubt .

JEFF4i
03-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Has anyone posted a personal story, or is this 7 pages of people being stupid?

RoethlisBURGHer
03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Sorry but I dont agree.Pro athletes,actors,musicians are getting paid millions and millions to entertain people but there is a price to it.Most of these people dont even pay the bill when they go to the restaurant or in a nightclub.

Yes, they get paid millions to entertain. Not to give up their free time to sign autographs.

Stay at home? So they shouldn't be allowed out of their house if they don't want to sign autographs for hours while their food sits on the table getting cold?

You're one of the people with an effed up view of things. Just because celebrities make a whole lot of money, they don't owe us autographs and photos. They have the right to go out to eat and enjoy a meal without being bothered by people the entire time, just like you and me.

So you say you'd sign autographs and take photos all day when you're not at home? Somehow, I think that's very doubtful. The first time your food gets cold when you're out, or you can't talk with your friends/family because you won't be left alone....yeah, you'd change your mind.

XxKnightxX
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
The media and Public is the one who Gives Ben the power and fame, and the Media will shred you down just as fast. I love this quote “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.” Every celebrity should have a card with that quote at all times.

mikegrimey
03-18-2010, 09:21 PM
I think professional athletes and celebrities are fully entitled to be jerks and refuse to sign autographs, etc. I know I would if I was famous, people are just flat out too nosy and inconsiderate, and I don't think becoming famous means a person forfeits any of their rights.

I think it's okay for Ben to be a jerk, and it doesn't bother me at all, as long as he's not commiting any crimes, being rude to somebody just reflects poorly on him.
I'm not in the camp that think fans or admirers have a mandate to get facetime/autographs/congeniality out of famous figures. They have a right to try, but if they're refused, oh well.

steelreserve
03-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Seems to me like the thread has gone like:

"I don't believe all these third-hand stories in the media or on the internet about how Ben's a dick, because I don't know the people and it's probably BS. Someone tell me a first-hand story."

"OK, here's my first-hand story."

"Well, I don't believe you. I don't know you, so it's probably BS. ... Now let's spend several pages going over the third-hand stories from the media and the internet again."

... yeah. Pretty useful thread it turned out to be.

HometownGal
03-18-2010, 10:18 PM
he was done, he went to get up and was leaving without paying for the bill or tip. waitress went after him in the parking lot and said he owes for meal and tip. he chuckled and said "dont you know who i am?". she said "yes i do, and let me tell you who i am: i have 2 kids at home i need to shelter and feed and i need a tip and i am not paying for your meal". i guess he tossed cash at her and left.

She must not have had big enough fun bags. :chuckle:

harts
03-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I dont really care if Ben is a jerk or not
I dont deal with him and probably wouldnt hang out with him if I knew him anyway

If he tells people to go to the moon when they ask for his autograph or whatever I really could care less

I wouldnt be asking for his autograph or a photo with him anyway.

I work as a photographer and because of photography I have had the "opportunity" to be around and have direct contact with numerous famous people

I have found out that at the end of the day famous people do the same things "normal" people do and they shouldnt be put on a pedastal

What I do care about is if Ben is being a jerk - is it gonna affect the Steelers chances at getting the 7th Lombardi?

If it is THEN I care
Otherwise I could care less

Shea
03-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Then lets hear the stories.

I'm not talking about the stuff you hear at the bar or the ones your sisters best friends cousin tells. Im talking about the ones you know to be true. The one you witnessed or have pictures. I say this because I have heard A LOT of good stories of Ben. And I have heard A LOT of bad stories from not so reliable sources.

Just curious .......

You've heard a lot of good stories about Ben, yet have heard a lot of bad from sources automatically deemed unreliable due to negativity.

Whose to say the good aren't unreliable as well?

Just curious. Not bashing Ben at all here but it seems "good stories" are always accepted as gospel yet continued bad are classified as not being reliable.

Just throwing this out to see what you and other people think.

fansince'76
03-19-2010, 12:54 AM

Sounds familiar. A little TOO familiar, if you know what I mean. The fact that it's hearsay makes me question it even more. Sorry.

Jane Fonda: 'Do You Know Who I Am?'

Netlore Archive: Story circulating since the mid-1990s claims Jane Fonda and Ted Turner were kicked out of a Montana restaurant by its owner, a Vietnam veteran

Star 100.7 Radio Station was doing one of their "is anyone listening who" bits this morning. The first one was, "Ever have a celebrity pull the 'do you know who I am' routine?"

A lady called in and said that when she was visiting her cattle rancher Uncle in Billings, MT a few years ago, they went to dinner at a restaurant that does not take reservations. The wait was about 45 minutes. Lots of other rancher types and their spouses were already waiting.

In comes Ted Turner and Jane Fonda. They want a table. The hostess says they'll have to wait about 45 minutes. Jane Fonda asks if she knows who she is? "Yes, but you'll still have to wait 45 minutes." Then Jane says, "Is the manager in?"

The manager comes out, "May I help you?" "Do you know who I am?", ask both Jane and Ted. "Yes, but these folks have all been waiting already and I can't put you in ahead of them."

Then Ted asks to speak to the owner. The owner comes out. Jane again asks, "do you know who I am?"

The owner says "Yes, I do.... Do you know who I am? I am the owner of this restaurant and a Vietnam Veteran. Not only will you not get a table ahead of all of my friends and neighbors here, but you also will not be eating in my restaurant tonight or any other night. Good bye."

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_fonda_restaurant.htm

Shea
03-19-2010, 01:03 AM
The owner says "Yes, I do.... Do you know who I am? I am the owner of this restaurant and a Vietnam Veteran. Not only will you not get a table ahead of all of my friends and neighbors here, but you also will not be eating in my restaurant tonight or any other night. Good bye."

I love that. :chuckle: :thumbsup:

Shea
03-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Believe FS76 - there are serious shits in this world.

Throw in fame and money and you'll see some of the worst of what this world has to offer.

fansince'76
03-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Believe FS76 - there are serious shits in this world.

Throw in fame and money and you'll see some of the worst of what this world has to offer.

Yeah, I realize that, but you didn't think the similarity in what the waitress in the "Ben is a jerk" anecdote said and what the restaurant owner said in the Jane Fonda/Ted Turner anecdote (that has been circulating for about the last decade and a half) was just a wee bit coincidental? I did - I thought there was more than enough similarity in the two anecdotes to make me doubt the validity of the former.

O Sensei
03-19-2010, 03:55 AM
I work as an independent graphic designer and also in retail management because I have big time student loans. Does pay the bills and has good health benefits. A year or so ago Ben tipped me $100 to make sure his belongings were shipped to his home in Georgia. He was cordial, humorous and polite. He joked to me that if the boxes did not arrive he would be back for me, to which I replied that I was not scared of quarterbacks. He has visited on at least a couple other occasions and been very cool, of course he was not drinking and I do not have tits.

O Sensei
03-19-2010, 04:27 AM
To follow up I will add that chris hoke, justin hartwig, heath miller and a few others frequent our establishment and all are very cordial, respectfull, generous and delightful to engage in conversation with. Heath especially is perhaps one of the most polite people I have ever met and he along with sid crosby, sergei gonchar, troy and well...ben, are easily the nicest sports figures I've had the pleasure of dealing with. I might also add that Jason Gildon is freakin' hilarious, very bright and takes ribbing really well, lovely wife I might add, ditto jeremy tuman. My favorite celeb encounter however occured at a theater, a crowded one I might add, my two young sons and I were in a long line to see spider-man 3 the day after opening night. I was busy texting work, home, wife and heard a bit of a buzz in the air but only glanced to ensure the boys were okay. I turned round a couple minutes later hearing my rather gregarious younger son, he was barely seven then, talking to someone who turned out to be #43 and wife. I spoke briefly, they were very nice and he went about talking spider-man with my sons for ten minutes. My older son knew who he was and was noticeably nervous which is just his shy nature, his younger brother however had no idea and just wouldn't have cared as is just his way. Just an incredibly cool, generous person. Not to pile on with I heard this, I heard that...but my in-laws had dinner at olive garden 'bout a year and a half ago and troy and his wife were there. After completing their meal a mere two tables from my wife's parents they asked that the bills of all the patrons in that dining area be added to theirs for allowing them to dine without interruption. So, I guess if Ben does have issues, at the very least I can assure you there are ample examples of how he can improve himself if need be.

PalmerSteel
03-19-2010, 05:08 AM
She must not have had big enough fun bags. :chuckle:

lol, probably not, or didnt throw herself at him enough.

Pittsky
03-19-2010, 05:26 AM

probably the latter. :chuckle:

as much as i'd like all this not to be true, most of it probably is...there's just too many allegations...at this point, it doesn't even matter if it's true....the damage is done...it just sucks though, cuz this image is going to taint everything the team does...say he wins 2 more superbowls in his career with the steelers...he's always going to be remembered as the asshole rapist...

Pittsky
03-19-2010, 05:39 AM
To follow up I will add that chris hoke, justin hartwig, heath miller and a few others frequent our establishment and all are very cordial, respectfull, generous and delightful to engage in conversation with. Heath especially is perhaps one of the most polite people I have ever met and he along with sid crosby, sergei gonchar, troy and well...ben, are easily the nicest sports figures I've had the pleasure of dealing with. I might also add that Jason Gildon is freakin' hilarious, very bright and takes ribbing really well, lovely wife I might add, ditto jeremy tuman. My favorite celeb encounter however occured at a theater, a crowded one I might add, my two young sons and I were in a long line to see spider-man 3 the day after opening night. I was busy texting work, home, wife and heard a bit of a buzz in the air but only glanced to ensure the boys were okay. I turned round a couple minutes later hearing my rather gregarious younger son, he was barely seven then, talking to someone who turned out to be #43 and wife. I spoke briefly, they were very nice and he went about talking spider-man with my sons for ten minutes. My older son knew who he was and was noticeably nervous which is just his shy nature, his younger brother however had no idea and just wouldn't have cared as is just his way. Just an incredibly cool, generous person. Not to pile on with I heard this, I heard that...but my in-laws had dinner at olive garden 'bout a year and a half ago and troy and his wife were there. After completing their meal a mere two tables from my wife's parents they asked that the bills of all the patrons in that dining area be added to theirs for allowing them to dine without interruption. So, I guess if Ben does have issues, at the very least I can assure you there are ample examples of how he can improve himself if need be.

go troy. :thumbsup:

siss
03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Seems to me like the thread has gone like:

"I don't believe all these third-hand stories in the media or on the internet about how Ben's a dick, because I don't know the people and it's probably BS. Someone tell me a first-hand story."

"OK, here's my first-hand story."

"Well, I don't believe you. I don't know you, so it's probably BS. ... Now let's spend several pages going over the third-hand stories from the media and the internet again."

... yeah. Pretty useful thread it turned out to be.
Yeah Im disappointed about how this turned out as well.

WH
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Kind of a, tell me your story that I don't want to hear., thread. great.

steelreserve
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
My favorite celeb encounter however occured at a theater, a crowded one I might add, my two young sons and I were in a long line to see spider-man 3 the day after opening night. I was busy texting work, home, wife and heard a bit of a buzz in the air but only glanced to ensure the boys were okay. I turned round a couple minutes later hearing my rather gregarious younger son, he was barely seven then, talking to someone who turned out to be #43 and wife. I spoke briefly, they were very nice and he went about talking spider-man with my sons for ten minutes. My older son knew who he was and was noticeably nervous which is just his shy nature, his younger brother however had no idea and just wouldn't have cared as is just his way. Just an incredibly cool, generous person.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that Troy IS Spider-Man. That interception in the Titans game proved it beyond a doubt.

See? Typical pro athlete; all he wants to talk about is himself.