PDA

View Full Version : Moving Down for Maurkice Pouncey?

Northside Jonny
03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
With the recent vetran signings that have occured I have begun to change my stance on how I believe the FO should be approaching the draft. I understand that CB is probably the most glaring need on this team. I also understand that a lot of people are high on taking an OL player. But IMO taking a CB or OL at 18 does not make much sense to me (depending on who is still available). This is why recently I have changed my stance and believe moving down for Maurkice Pouncey is the best option. Let me explain.

1. If all the top DB's are gone I would hate to see us reach for a guy like Kyle Wilson or Patrick Robinson. IMO Players like Kareem Jackson or Brandon Ghee who will be available in the 2nd are just as good if not better.

2. If all the top OL talent is gone reaching for a guy like Mike Iupati(holds too much) or Anthony Davis is not sensible either. Bruce Campbell also scares the hell outta me.

3. Like it or not Starks and Colon are going to be your starting Tackles next year.

This leaves the Guard and Center positions. With the return of Kemo, LG will not be a serious need. But RG and C are two positions where the OL could use a serious upgrade.

IMHO Maurkice Pouncey is one of the best OG/C prospects to come along in a while and would offer and uprgade over Hartwig or Essex. I'm 100% positive that he could beat out one of the two for a starting job his rookie season. By moving down to grab Pouncey the Steelers will also be able to improve their 2nd round position so that they can grab one of the previously mentioned CB's. Besides it's time for the Steelers to return to the tradition of having one of the best Centers in the league. I'm getting tired of these patch jobs they keep putting on the anchor position of the O line.

This thread is completely based on my opinion. The more I think about the possiblity of landing a top notch C to anchor this O line for the next 10+ years, the more sense the move makes to me. Please give me some feedback.

tony hipchest
03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
i think there will be someone worthy there at #18, and if not we should trade up.

this was jim wexells take on pouncey-

Yes, I think 1.18 is too early to draft Pouncey. Just not that good of an athlete. I'd rather take J.D. Walton of Baylor in R2-3.

Northside Jonny
03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
i think there will be someone worthy there at #18, and if not we should trade up.

Well I guess me and Wexell will just have to disagree. I believe Pouncey is the best C available in this draft by a country mile!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2010, 12:13 PM

I agree. Some are saying that this is the best defensive draft in 20 years.....it would be a shame to take a center in the 1st. I also think Alex Mack and Eric Wood were better last year and they went in the last half of the 1st.

Brian Billick said last year that its tough as an NFL coach to justify drafting a center in the 1st round, when you can get solid centers there in later rounds. He said its easier when you pick later because the bottom of the 1st is almost like the top of the 2nd.

I'd rather have Tennant or Walton too with a later pick. Differenct between a 1st round and 3rd round center isnt that much......but a 1st round talented CB at #18 vs a 3rd round guy can be much more.

pete74
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
i think i would rather have iupati but if we cant get him then trading down for pouncey would be a good idea. it would help us out in the 2nd round as well.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I agree. Some are saying that this is the best defensive draft in 20 years.....it would be a shame to take a center in the 1st. I also think Alex Mack and Eric Wood were better last year and they went in the last half of the 1st.

Brian Billick said last year that its tough as an NFL coach to justify drafting a center in the 1st round, when you can get solid centers there in later rounds. He said its easier when you pick later because the bottom of the 1st is almost like the top of the 2nd.

I'd rather have Tennant or Walton too with a later pick. Differenct between a 1st round and 3rd round center isnt that much......but a 1st round talented CB at #18 vs a 3rd round guy can be much more.

Great points....and you are starting to sell me on Tennant. His tape looks like he has the anchor and core strength...though I wouldnt mind for him to pack on another 10-15 lbs.

jollyrob68
03-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I like Pouncey at 18.He is at 17 on Mel Kipers big board. I also like Jd Walton in later rounds but here's the problem we have. Every year(the past few) we wait to take a quality O lineman and grab one later and it bites us in the ass. O lineman aren't the sexy pick but when we use to draft them early we had then for years. We Steeler NAtion need our future Center and his name is Maurkice Pouncey.
Trading back to pickup an additional round 2 is smart and I'd understand the risk of losing Pouncey but then the Steelers would have to reach for a center in rd 2 defeating the purpose of getting that 2nd rounder.
The team that would give up their 2nd rounder to move up is The Cowboys if Iupati is there. However I could see teams before the Cowboys drafting Pouncey.

As far as Drafting a CB at 18 the only one would be Joe Haden according to the experts. All others are a reach but if you moved back picked up a additional 2nd ,lost pouncey then take Jared Odrick or a CB.
The Steelers have always been about their Front 7 and with a better pass rush our CB can be anyone including William Gay.
If earl Thomas is there take him he can play 2 positions, Safety or CB.

Northside Jonny
03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Great points....and you are starting to sell me on Tennant. His tape looks like he has the anchor and core strength...though I wouldnt mind for him to pack on another 10-15 lbs.

I would also agree if the Steelers go another route. I really like Matt Tennant as well.

Northside Jonny
03-16-2010, 02:05 PM

So your saying that we wouldn't be able to find great defenders in later rounds? If the draft is so deep with D talent then taking a C in the 1st makes perfect sense. Because there isn't as much depth at that position (C) vs. DB for instance.

BKAnthem
03-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Based on his combine, game tape and senior bowl...i don't see how Kyle Wilson is a reach at 18

jollyrob68
03-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Based on his combine, game tape and senior bowl...i don't see how Kyle Wilson is a reach at 18

I like what Kyle Wilson did at all of the above and I know we need a Cb. We haven't even seen what Keenan Lewis can do.
If you look back at The Steelers you would see that the better the Front 7 the better the Steelers are. We can get a good CB in the 2nd or 3rd but the top Center will be gone in the first and we have to stop waiting to get one. O line isn't the sexy pick but its badly needed.
If we go Defense then we play the if game and it starts If Haden,McClain or Thomas are there they should be the pick. If they are not then the pick needs to be someone who can rotate on the aging D line because Aaron Smith & Bret Keisel are no spring chickens. His Name Is JARED ODRICK. NEXT would be shoring up the LB's Brandon Graham or Sean Weatherspoon. Lastly it would be a CB and I'd take Kyle Wilson,Devin McCourtey or Kareem Jackson.
But I think we could get Brandon Ghee in the second or Chris Cook & Dominique Franks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Don't let me sell you on Tennant......sell yourself. You might remember that I started talking him up before last year's draft as an alternative for 2010, if we didnt get a C in the 09 draft. Arguably, he wasnt that high on a lot of boards, but I tell you ..........the kid is a smart, technical BC O lineman. The fact that he can handle big guys at 290, but bulked up for the combine to around 300lbs is a good thing. I think he can put more on too and play at 310.

When you watch any tape, see how he bows his back and gets his hips thru on a block. He really has a pop in his blocking and a strong base. (I dont think he lasts to round 3, but another pipe dream if he does)

So your saying that we wouldn't be able to find great defenders in later rounds? If the draft is so deep with D talent then taking a C in the 1st makes perfect sense. Because there isn't as much depth at that position (C) vs. DB for instance.

I agree that if there is depth, then we could get a good defensive player in the 2nd, but I still dont agree that MP is any better than Mangold, Mack, Wood, ....and all those guys were not drafted #18. If anything, a deep defensive draft like this should slide a center to #30 or later. Its a reach and a luxury to spend a high pick on a center, when Taylor is old and Will Gay is a nickel back.

Northside Jonny
03-16-2010, 06:47 PM
I agree that if there is depth, then we could get a good defensive player in the 2nd, but I still dont agree that MP is any better than Mangold, Mack, Wood, ....and all those guys were not drafted #18. If anything, a deep defensive draft like this should slide a center to #30 or later. Its a reach and a luxury to spend a high pick on a center, when Taylor is old and Will Gay is a nickel back.

This entire thread is not about taking Pouncey at #18 if that happened I would be pissed. My suggestion is that the Draft is so deep at D that we should move down and take Pouncey later in the 1st. Then we would probably have a higher 2nd or 3rd round pick for a D player.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
This entire thread is not about taking Pouncey at #18 if that happened I would be pissed. My suggestion is that the Draft is so deep at D that we should move down and take Pouncey later in the 1st. Then we would probably have a higher 2nd or 3rd round pick for a D player.

They will sit there with the #18 pick and take whoever is highest on their board. If somebody comes along like Denver did last year, the Steelers might trade down and end up with the BAA......and it could be Pouncey.

I just dont think they have any preconcieved notion of trading down and specifically targetting a center.

BKAnthem
03-18-2010, 02:31 PM

Why would we do that when we need a corner?

jollyrob68
03-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Why would we do that when we need a corner?

Because you can get a very good corner in the 2 or 3rd round but their is only one elite Center. Every year people bitch about the line but never want to draft a quality Lineman in the 1st or 2nd. I know lineman aren't the sexy pick :banging:but we better get a very good one or we'll be sitting here bitching about the season.
If Joe Haden, Rolando McClain or Earl Thomas slip into the 18th spot TAKE THEM. If not they better get the Quality lineman and at this point I want Pouncey ove Iupati and Davis if he falls. Davis isnt acting right and I think he just wants to get paid and chill.

BKAnthem
03-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Because you can get a very good corner in the 2 or 3rd round but their is only one elite Center. Every year people bitch about the line but never want to draft a quality Lineman in the 1st or 2nd. I know lineman aren't the sexy pick :banging:but we better get a very good one or we'll be sitting here bitching about the season.
If Joe Haden, Rolando McClain or Earl Thomas slip into the 18th spot TAKE THEM. If not they better get the Quality lineman and at this point I want Pouncey ove Iupati and Davis if he falls. Davis isnt acting right and I think he just wants to get paid and chill.

Kyle Wilson is Also a first round corner and it's very likely he'll be there too...listen i Know we need a stud OL...you should have seen my posts bitchin about one after last years draft..and i still am...lol....But Gay was Horrible last year, Carter is gone for good reason and neither Lewis or Burnett showed anything worth noting when they got their chances...We need a Starter opposite Ike....This is an OL deep draft too, we just have to hope Colbert doesn't blow it....

Steel Glory
03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
neither Lewis or Burnett showed anything worth noting when they got their chances...We need a Starter opposite Ike....This is an OL deep draft too, we just have to hope Colbert doesn't blow it....

When exactly did Keenan Lewis get a chance? If I recall he had an injury that kept him off the gameday roster all year. They didn't even start him.

Anyways, I agree that CB is a need, but I think this is the year that they go for an offensive lineman. I mean they have shored almost everything else but DB and OL depth. Drop off in OL after first round is much greater the the drop in DB talent.

BKAnthem
03-19-2010, 01:11 AM
When exactly did Keenan Lewis get a chance? If I recall he had an injury that kept him off the gameday roster all year. They didn't even start him.

Anyways, I agree that CB is a need, but I think this is the year that they go for an offensive lineman. I mean they have shored almost everything else but DB and OL depth. Drop off in OL after first round is much greater the the drop in DB talent.

He played in about 4 games last year

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2010, 01:24 AM
. Drop off in OL after first round is much greater the the drop in DB talent.

How do you figure that???

Ever hear of John Jerry, Roger Saffold, Matt Tennant, Jared Veldheer, Jon Asamoah, JD Walton, Jason Fox, Kyle Calloway?????

Franchise players are needed at QB, CB, LT, and a LB that can pass rush. The notion of a franchise OG or C is like a unicorn. Doesnt really exist.

Texasteel
03-19-2010, 10:03 AM

Didn't I read that Tennant weighed in at the combines at 300 lbs. Thats larger than his collage playing weight. Every time I watch the young man play I was very impressed. Could be the OC with the most pure talent. Put the kid in the weight room for a years, where most rookies should be, and we could have one heck of a center.

jollyrob68
03-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Didn't I read that Tennant weighed in at the combines at 300 lbs. Thats larger than his collage playing weight. Every time I watch the young man play I was very impressed. Could be the OC with the most pure talent. Put the kid in the weight room for a years, where most rookies should be, and we could have one heck of a center.

Why is he graded to go in the 6st round and Eric Olsen in the 3rd? When I watched him I thought he did well. Jd Walton & Thomas Austin are graded in the 4th from nfldraftspot.com.

St33lersguy
03-19-2010, 04:50 PM
If Spoon & Dan Williams are available why should we trade down?

Texasteel
03-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Why is he graded to go in the 6st round and Eric Olsen in the 3rd? When I watched him I thought he did well. Jd Walton & Thomas Austin are graded in the 4th from nfldraftspot.com.

nfldraftscout.com has him ranked 2nd best OC, and going in the 2nd or 3rd round. IMO they are the best talent evaluators I have seen. Still I have never seen him rated lower than 3rd and going in the 3rd. If anyone has him rated lower than that I think they are mistaken.

jollyrob68
03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
nfldraftspot.com has were they think they will get drafted and said it differs from their opinion.http://www.nfldraftspot.com/news-and-information/general/498-top-255-position-by-position-round-grades.html

ROUND 1
Maurkice Pouncey, 6-4, 304, Florida*

ROUND 2
None

ROUND 3
Eric Olsen, 6-4, 306, Notre Dame

ROUND 4
J.D. Walton, 6-3, 300, Baylor
Thomas Austin, 6-3, 315, Clemson

ROUND 5
Ted Larsen, 6-2, 300, North Carolina State

ROUND 6
Kevin Mathews, 6-4, 310, Texas A&M
Matt Tennant, 6-4, 295, Boston College

ROUND 7
Eric Cook, 6-6, 315, New Mexico

I will try to find Todd Mc shays observations from the senior bowl.

pete74
03-20-2010, 06:31 AM
nfldraftspot.com has were they think they will get drafted and said it differs from their opinion.http://www.nfldraftspot.com/news-and-information/general/498-top-255-position-by-position-round-grades.html

ROUND 1

ROUND 2
None

ROUND 3

ROUND 4

ROUND 5

ROUND 6

ROUND 7

honestly anything after the 1st 50 or so picks are a guess. i have seen numerous players predicted to go in the 3rd, 4th or 5th never get drafted. these later round mocks are nothing more then a guess.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2010, 02:12 PM

ROUND 1

ROUND 2
None

ROUND 3

ROUND 4

ROUND 5

ROUND 6

ROUND 7

Isnt this the same garbage site that had us taking Macho Harris in the 1st round last year??? If Matt Tennant goes in the 6th round, I will eat Hipchest's hat. :headshake:

tony hipchest
03-20-2010, 02:35 PM
which one?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheesehelmet.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/notes2.jpg

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-20-2010, 03:29 PM

Yea...300 at the combines. I think he showed up at his pro-day a little lighter. I think at around 295. He looks like he has the frame to add weight without losing any quickness. I would like to see him a little heavier than the mid 290's.

Texasteel
03-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Isnt this the same garbage site that had us taking Macho Harris in the 1st round last year??? If Matt Tennant goes in the 6th round, I will eat Hipchest's hat. :headshake:

Man don't say that, you never know where that head has been.

MasterOfPuppets
03-20-2010, 10:37 PM

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4626/sombrero.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/i/sombrero.jpg/)
:toofunny:

jollyrob68
03-21-2010, 12:37 AM
I want Pouncey in the first and a CB in the second.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
which one?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheesehelmet.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/notes2.jpg

Does the Cheese helmet come with jalapenos and nachos's melted in??

:doh: Thanks for the "heads up"

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4626/sombrero.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/i/sombrero.jpg/)
:toofunny:
No Way am I gonna touch that sombrero with anything buy my foot. :kick: