PDA

View Full Version : When all is said and done, matchups favor Hawks...

marksashton
02-04-2006, 09:05 PM
I spent quite a bit of time this week (like all of us, no?) reading the sports pages, looking at accounts of the Steelers and Seahawks, and looking at the players and how they match up. While I'd be a fool to be super confident of a Seahawks victory, after looking at the matchups I think the Seahawks may surprise.

As we all know, big games are won in the trenches. Ok, let's compare the players in the trenches. We all know the stats pretty well...Steelers one of the toughest defenses overall and particularly against the rush. Seahawks almost as tough against the rush but (save your breaths) played a weaker schedule. As more than one wise man has said on this forum, the regular season no longer means squat (but the Seahawks had the better record by a longshot).

The Seahawks offensive line is widely regarded as the best in football. It's interesting to look and see how they match up against the Piggsburgh defensive line (and some LB's) in terms of size.

Seattle Center Robbie Tobec is 6'4" and 297. Pittsburgh nose tackle Casey Hampton is a LOAD at 6'1" and 325. Edge: Hampon but only slightly. Tobec is a little heavier than 297 and will have the speed advantage and is flanked in his left by two pro bowlers and on his right by two other top notch lineman.

Seattle left guard Steve Hutchison is a pro bowler at 6'5" 315. He's certainly one of the top 2-3 guards in the NFL. He lines up against Oelhoffen and whatever linebacker decides to blitz. Oelhoffen is 6'4" 299. Clear advantage to Hutchison.

Next to Hutchison is Walter Jones - future hall of famer. Jones 6'5" and 315. He'll be responsible for keeping Porter out of Hasselbeck's face. Jones is a very very quick guy for 315 pounds. He and Hutchison have been playing together for a long time so they just do the right thing without a lot of communication. Porter is a stud, no question. He's 6'2" and 250. He'll undoubtedly cause trouble but his problem will be that if he rushes the passer then your DB's are either alone or, if they get help from Polamulu, then another Seattle receiver is open on the other side. Edge: Seattle by a significant margin. I give Porter a lot of credit (despite is childish taunting stuff this week) but I don't see him sacking Hasselbeck more than once if that.

On the other side of Seattle's offensive line are Locklear (RT) and Gray (RG). Gray is 6'4" and 308 while Locklear is 6'4" and about 300. THey'll line up against Smith who is 6'5" and 298. Edge: Seahawks.

To make the matchup worse for Pittsburgh, Seattle also has Mack Strong at fullback. Strong is also going to the pro bowl this year and is one of the top blocking back in the NFL. He'll be there to pick up the blitz or work with the line to open up holes for Alexander. Edge: Hawks by a significant margin.

So, to sum it up, Seattle's offensive line is perhaps Pittsburgh's worst nightmare. They haven't faced a line like this all year - I guarantee it. If Pittsburgh is going to hold Seattle under 30 they're going to have to put a lot of pressure on Hasselbeck and stop Seattle's running game cold. That's a tall order.

On the other side of the ball the matchups are more balanced. Seattle's defensive line was pretty wishy washy early in the year but improve every game. But for the not really a loss against green bay when they rested the team, Seattle would currently be in a 14 game winning streak. As far as defensive lines go, Seattle's is a bit undersized which could be a problem against Pittsburgh's bigger line. However, despite being smallish, they were in the top 5 in yard/game - just 9 yards more/game than Pittsburgh's defense. Here are the matchups.

Seattle has Bernard and Darby at RDT and LDT. Bernard is 6'3" and 293 and Darby is 6'0" and 270. They'll line up against Hartings (C), Faneca (LG) and Simmons (RG). Hartings is 6'3" and 299, Simmons is 6'3" and 319 and Faneca at 6'5" and 307. Edge: Pittsburgh but this is largely offset by Seattle's young, talented and aggressive linebackers - particularly Tatupu. I don't see Pittsburgh breaking any big holes up the middle.

At tackle Pittsburgh has Smith (6'5" and 321) at LT and Starks (6'7" and 377). They'll line up against Grant Wistrom at RDE, a superbowl winner at 6'4" and 275 and Fisher at LDE at 6'3" and 268. Starks is HUGE and Smith isn't far behind! Wistrom and Fisher are very fast but the advantage has to go to Pittsburgh.

Overall I'd have to give Pittsburgh's offensive line the edge against Seattle but just barely. I think the Pittsburgh fans, much of the dumb national press and (hopefully) some of the Pittsburgh players underestimate Seattle's defense. They crushed Carolina last week. Blame it on Carolina's running back woes if you want but...I wouldn't bet on that being the only factor.

So this long ramble can basically be summed up in a few words. While Pittsburgh has a great defense, they're going to be facing the best offensive line in football and a very very good and balanced offensive attack. Pittsburgh's offensive line is good and may cause Seattle some problems but I don't see them scoring tons of points.

May the bset team win.

WWIIOwheelz
02-04-2006, 09:31 PM
So, let me get this straight---- you aren't factoring-in the linebackers? LOL! What about that bothersome hairy guy, that Polamalu?

You are basing your comparison strictly on man-on-man, and assuming a 4-3 defense, evidently, and not factoring in a persistant zone blitz. To your credit, many offensive coordinators this year didn't plan much better than that, and they are done for the season.

I've watched for some inkling of a gameplan from the Squeehawk sources, but I've not seen anything resembling a real plan against the Steeler D. This could get ugly.

Tobec is a plaything for Hampton, to the point he will HAVE to be double-teamed. That will open lanes for Polamalu and Joey Porter might, just might be single-covered, in which case the second-string QB better stay loose.

MagicHawk
02-04-2006, 09:36 PM
That is pretty much the prevailing thought of anybody that knows Seattle's team. Basically as I have pretty much said this game will be close with the edge to Seattle despite what the media says and it being a "road" game. The Super Bowl is a different kind of game home/away doesn't factor into the game to any kind of meaningful degree.

If a blowout happens it will be from the Seattle side given they have a larger advantage offensively than Pittsburgh does defensively trust me you will see this fairly quickly, yes we are an NFC team but statistics don't lie and a team can only play whatever schedule the NFL gives them. Not that SoS means a thing now because the only thing that matters is the team across that line tomorrow not somebody they played week's past.

As I said I think some are going to unpleasently surprised by us but that is why the game is being played in the end because this is all just opinion until then.

Prosdo
02-04-2006, 09:40 PM
If you are going to do a write up you can't just leave out one of the biggest defensive factors. Which is Troy Polamalu. The guy will create some problems for the Seahawks offense.

Brady12
02-04-2006, 09:41 PM
I was once told the match-ups favoured the Bengals, Colts, and Broncos too... I can't remember what happened in those games... :willy:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2006, 09:43 PM
I have to disagree with some of what you said and here is why.

Hampton vs Tobeck.. CLEAR, DECISIVE advantage to Casey..he's bigger, stronger, and has done it all year against better centers than Tobeck. Casey will demand a double team nearly all game long.. and that plays right into our hands.

As far as the rest of your predictions.. you cannot decisvely break down matchups without figuring in the LB's. We dont run a traditional defense like you do. We use our 3 down lineman to occupy your blockers first and then let our safeties, CB, and LB's make most of the tackles. If our 3 DL occupy your 5 guys, its FULL advantage Steelers because that means we've got blitzing DB's and LB's coming from everywhere.

and besides that, we use the Zone blitz. You're not always gonna have Casey on Tobeck or Kimo and Arron against Gray or Smith or whoever. You cant account for that scenario staying the same as it has in past games for you because you havent faced the zone blitz 34 defense yet. You may find yourself with Tobeck one on one with Polamalu and before you know Haggans or Porter is already past your tackles and into the backfield.

so you see and believe me Im not trying to be an ass here.. your theory of matchups may hold up against a traditional defense like your offense faces every day in practice and what you usually face in the regular season.. but it doesnt hold much water against a 34 zone blitz scheme.

Prosdo
02-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Excellent points Matt.

MagicHawk
02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
If you are going to do a write up you can't just leave out one of the biggest defensive factors. Which is Troy Polamalu. The guy will create some problems for the Seahawks offense.This I agree with wholeheartly Polamalu will be a factor and he will cause us problems. I may not know Pittsburgh backwards and forwards but I am knowledgable enough to realize that man is a freak of nature. I put him in the same class as Ronnie Lott.

I do look forward to you blitzing zone or otherwise we tend to do better just like Rothliesburger no less, this isn't the sad little line that Indianapolis has I mean get real not once in the game did they ever adjust!

drizze99
02-04-2006, 10:12 PM

Hampton vs Tobeck.. CLEAR, DECISIVE advantage to Casey..he's bigger, stronger, and has done it all year against better centers than Tobeck. Casey will demand a double team nearly all game long.. and that plays right into our hands.

As far as the rest of your predictions.. you cannot decisvely break down matchups without figuring in the LB's. We dont run a traditional defense like you do. We use our 3 down lineman to occupy your blockers first and then let our safeties, CB, and LB's make most of the tackles. If our 3 DL occupy your 5 guys, its FULL advantage Steelers because that means we've got blitzing DB's and LB's coming from everywhere.

and besides that, we use the Zone blitz. You're not always gonna have Casey on Tobeck or Kimo and Arron against Gray or Smith or whoever. You cant account for that scenario staying the same as it has in past games for you because you havent faced the zone blitz 34 defense yet. You may find yourself with Tobeck one on one with Polamalu and before you know Haggans or Porter is already past your tackles and into the backfield.

so you see and believe me Im not trying to be an ass here.. your theory of matchups may hold up against a traditional defense like your offense faces every day in practice and what you usually face in the regular season.. but it doesnt hold much water against a 34 zone blitz scheme.

[announcer voice] DING DING DING!! We have a winner!

Johnny, tell him what he has won... [/announcer voice]

If you guys think that Tobeck can handle Fat Casey by himself, then you are kidding yourself. Tobeck is known to struggle against the 'big' guys. I'm sure if the Hawks try that, that the big guy will make himself at home in your backfield.

And then you forgot to mention our X-Factor... Tasmanian Troy! Hasselbeck is going to get to know him really well tomorrow. Just ask Kitna, Manning and Plummer about Troy. I'm sure they'll have a thing or two to say about him, lol.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2006, 10:15 PM
This I agree with wholeheartly Polamalu will be a factor and he will cause us problems. I may not know Pittsburgh backwards and forwards but I am knowledgable enough to realize that man is a freak of nature. I put him in the same class as Ronnie Lott.

I do look forward to you blitzing zone or otherwise we tend to do better just like Rothliesburger no less, this isn't the sad little line that Indianapolis has I mean get real not once in the game did they ever adjust!

Its not that Indy, Denver, and Cincy didnt try to adjust.. they did try and it was obvious..the problem is, none of it worked becuz you cant account for everything going on in our defense on every play.

tony hipchest
02-04-2006, 10:19 PM

so you see and believe me Im not trying to be an ass here.. your theory of matchups may hold up against a traditional defense like your offense faces every day in practice and what you usually face in the regular season.. but it doesnt hold much water against a 34 zone blitz scheme.i dont think lebeau gets enough credit on this board recently for designing this defense in the 80's to combat walshes west coast offense. in '88 his bengals did a good job of stopping the 49ers for 3 1/2 quarters. todays steelers defense is better than those bengals and todays seahawks arent as good as the 49ers was.

this steelers defense is also designed to stop backs like e. george, f. taylor, j. lewis, c. dillon, all huge punnishing backs. this defense shut down emmitt smith in their last sb, and handled l. tomlinson this year. but since alexander has the title mvp many make him out to be unstopable. i think it can be done. steelers held HIM to 48 yds on 20 carries with a group not as good as the one the steelers currently have the last time they played.

MagicHawk
02-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Very true but we run offense at a much higher tempo than Denver or Indianapolis especially Indianapolis I mean my God you guys had forever to keep shifting this won't happen tomorrow. And Jake the Mistake is not in the same league as Hasselbeck nor was either of those lines. So this will be close and I believe we will win the only thing to do now is play the game and see who is right.

I mean it isn't like it wasn't 14-3 and should have been 14-0 (we should have intercepted a gimme pass that led to their FG) by the time the scrubs came in and the game was in hand against Indianapolis. Denver I can't say except I know Jake (Pheonix) and we have always shut him down whatever year it was. With whatever team we had.

Prosdo
02-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I think you are right Tony. LeBeau is a mastermind. This guy comes into every game with a great defensive plan.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Very true but we run offense at a much higher tempo than Denver or Indianapolis especially Indianapolis I mean my God you guys had forever to keep shifting this won't happen tomorrow. And Jake the Mistake is not in the same league as Hasselbeck nor was either of those lines. So this will be close and I believe we will win the only thing to do now is play the game and see who is right.

I mean it isn't like it wasn't 14-3 and should have been 14-0 (we should have intercepted a gimme pass that led to their FG) by the time the scrubs came in and the game was in hand against Indianapolis. Denver I can't say except I know Jake (Pheonix) and we have always shut him down whatever year it was. With whatever team we had.

The colts run as uptempo a game as you can imagine.. They love the hurry up, they dont let you substitute players.. Manning is a head n shoulders better QB than just about everyone else. The reason we have so much time to shift is becuz we confuse the offense enough to make them rethink what they are doing. Palmer loves the no huddle as well..there is nothing they like more than a fast game on their offense... we shut them both down becuz we confuse the opposition. So see, we force you to play our game, the game we want you to play regardless of what your plan is on offense.

Should be a great one.

MagicHawk
02-04-2006, 11:05 PM
The colts run as uptempo a game as you can imagine.. They love the hurry up, they dont let you substitute players.. Manning is a head n shoulders better QB than just about everyone else. The reason we have so much time to shift is becuz we confuse the offense enough to make them rethink what they are doing. Palmer loves the no huddle as well..there is nothing they like more than a fast game on their offense... we shut them both down becuz we confuse the opposition. So see, we force you to play our game, the game we want you to play regardless of what your plan is on offense.

Should be a great one.Interesting you say that but the players themselves say the big thing the can't get over is how fast our offense runs not fans. We played Indianapolis and the outcome was never in doubt we stopped them cold when the game was in the balance.

What I am trying to say is from our view it is us that makes you play our style. So we will see. It should be classic either way.

LambertIsGod58
02-04-2006, 11:14 PM
This I agree with wholeheartly Polamalu will be a factor and he will cause us problems. I may not know Pittsburgh backwards and forwards but I am knowledgable enough to realize that man is a freak of nature. I put him in the same class as Ronnie Lott.

Peyton Manning sacked 17 times vs Hasselbeck 24 times....Plus Hasselbeck playing vs weaker NFC teams. Neither one of them has any footwork or speed. How is Indy's line so bad?

Portland Hawk Fan
02-04-2006, 11:15 PM

Should be a great one.

Manning is a great QB (maybe the best), but Indi's Offensive Line isn't as formidable as is Seattle's. You'll find this out tomorrow.

Indi dominated the second half, and Ben threw a few passes that should have been picks in Denver- those balls won't fall to the ground tomorrow- so I'm not sure where this "momentum" claim comes from, and I certainly don't see how a two week hiatus helps with that momentum...

You can only win if your guys shut down our offense and make huge special teams plays. If you can't make big plays on special teams or defense, you have no shot.

Pittsburgh will be lucky to score two touchdowns against us.

sdayxl
02-04-2006, 11:21 PM
i love how all these hawks fans try to tell themselves they outmatch us Steelers..... The only defense that gave the Seahawks trouble this season was Dallas, a game Seattle should have lost. Guess what you coffee chugging fans, Dallas has a 3-4 defense, the only one you faced all year. And might i mention, their 3-4 is nothing compared to **** LeBeau's. The fact is, we exposed Cinnci's, Indy's, and Denver's weaknesses. Remember, the Steelers BEAT those teams, those teams didn't lose to us. They didnt have a bad day, we exposed each of their weaknesses and why you all think Seattle will be any different is beyond me. If Alexander's MVP title makes him invincible, then he is about to meet his cryptonite, if he APPEARS unstoppable, mark my words, Pittsburgh WILL expose his weakness, and shut him down.

GO STEELERS!

MagicHawk
02-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Peyton Manning sacked 17 times vs Hasselbeck 24 times....Plus Hasselbeck playing vs weaker NFC teams. Neither one of them has any footwork or speed. How is Indy's line so bad?Again Indianapolis's schedule was just as weak not that it make a bit of difference given SoS is a function of how much you win. In otherwords generally the stronger a team is the weaker the schedule becomes as the season rolls on it is one of the worst statistics out there for how misleading it is.

It is well known that Peyton is one of the least mobile quarterbacks out there which isn't the case with Hasselbeck. I know you watched the game? They never adjusted their blocking schemes not once like any good offensive line does as a matter of course against a good defense, make no mistake your defense is good so it would be utter folly to give you guys the same look thoughout the game case in point Indianapolis's pathetic performance.

I can't say a thing about Denver or Cincinniati except to say I am confident neither would've won against us as for Indianapolis we already beat them. A team can only play their oppenent hence the reason for the game tomorrow.

Portland Hawk Fan
02-04-2006, 11:28 PM
i love how all these hawks fans try to tell themselves they outmatch us Steelers..... The only defense that gave the Seahawks trouble this season was Dallas, a game Seattle should have lost. Guess what you coffee chugging fans, Dallas has a 3-4 defense, the only one you faced all year. And might i mention, their 3-4 is nothing compared to **** LeBeau's. The fact is, we exposed Cinnci's, Indy's, and Denver's weaknesses. Remember, the Steelers BEAT those teams, those teams didn't lose to us. They didnt have a bad day, we exposed each of their weaknesses and why you all think Seattle will be any different is beyond me. If Alexander's MVP title makes him invincible, then he is about to meet his cryptonite, if he APPEARS unstoppable, mark my words, Pittsburgh WILL expose his weakness, and shut him down.

GO STEELERS!

Holmgren had two weeks to prepare for this. How many points did Dallas score against our crappy defense again?

Keep hope alive- it'll be squashed about 20 hours from now...

Hasselbeck is the key, Shawn is merely the guy who will keep yopr defense overly occupied...

tony hipchest
02-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Manning is a great QB (maybe the best), but Indi's Offensive Line isn't as formidable as is Seattle's. You'll find this out tomorrow.

Indi dominated the second half, and Ben threw a few passes that should have been picks in Denver- those balls won't fall to the ground tomorrow- so I'm not sure where this "momentum" claim comes from, and I certainly don't see how a two week hiatus helps with that momentum...

You can only win if your guys shut down our offense and make huge special teams plays. If you can't make big plays on special teams or defense, you have no shot.

so now seattle has better cb's than champ bailey? LMAO!

this keeps getting better and better. if you have the best of everything why couldnt you beat green bay. steelers did with their back ups. steelers beat the bills in their final game of the season last year with nothing to play for.

indy "dominated" the steelers in the second half huh? keep them jokes coming and try watching the game instead of basing your opinions on the highlights.

you do know the steelers will make plays with their special teams and defense right? they are capable.

sdayxl
02-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Holmgren had two weeks to prepare for this. How many points did Dallas score against our crappy defense again?

Keep hope alive- it'll be squashed about 20 hours from now...

Hasselbeck is the key, Shawn is merely the guy who will keep yopr defense overly occupied...

i wasn't saying anything about the offense.. i was just stating the fact that Seattle can't handle our defensive scheme. Cowher and Lebeau have had 2 weeks to plan as well. If you want to talk about offensive..... Your undersized defensive line will create problems for you. Speed is nothing, will only cause overpursuit and open big holes against our size. Our defensive line is smaller than yours as well, but we don't play the traditional defense Seattle is used to seeing, no matter how much they gameplan, playing against it is a completely different ball game. The fact of the matter is this game will be decided on who controls the ball. Whoever forces turnovers and causes the opponents offense off balance and off their gameplan will win. Lebeau is a master of creating confusion and Seattle is just another victim in the path of his genious.

sdayxl
02-04-2006, 11:44 PM

Indy dominated the second half? That's laughable. If anything, controversy dominated the second half, have we already forgotten the interception that should've been? None of that crap would have happened if that interception would have stood.. No touchdown for Indy, no bettis fumble, no chance at even attempting the field, Pittsburgh runs the clock out and game over, at least 24-10. Like someone else said, watch the game, not the highlights.

Portland Hawk Fan
02-04-2006, 11:45 PM
so now seattle has better cb's than champ bailey? LMAO!

this keeps getting better and better. if you have the best of everything why couldnt you beat green bay. steelers did with their back ups. steelers beat the bills in their final game of the season last year with nothing to play for.

indy "dominated" the steelers in the second half huh? keep them jokes coming and try watching the game instead of basing your opinions on the highlights.

you do know the steelers will make plays with their special teams and defense right? they are capable.

Bailey is the man- you should be kissing your shoes that he didn't pick that pass off.

Let's see Ben throw that pass tomorrow.

His thumb is hurt and they have different (raised) logos on Super Bowl footballs. You're going to laugh at that statement tonight, but tomorrow you'll find out that the football will be a factor in the game....at least for the first quarter.

Portland Hawk Fan
02-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Indy dominated the second half? That's laughable. If anything, controversy dominated the second half, have we already forgotten the interception that should've been? None of that crap would have happened if that interception would have stood.. No touchdown for Indy, no bettis fumble, no chance at even attempting the field, Pittsburgh runs the clock out and game over, at least 24-10. Like someone else said, watch the game, not the highlights.

Ok, I agree with that- it was a HORRIBLE call. But the fact is, after that call Indi still should have won that game- or put it into overtime (even with that terrible O-Line)

I'm thankful they didn't though- as it makes it an easier task to bring the Lombardi Trophy to Seattle....

Cowher's love for Bettis nostalgia will be his downfall.

sdayxl
02-04-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm thankful they didn't though- as it makes it an easier task to bring the Lombardi Trophy to Seattle....

Cowher's love for Bettis nostalgia will be his downfall.

i guess ignorance really is bliss... that's all i have left to say

marksashton
02-05-2006, 12:07 AM

GO STEELERS!

I'm sure it has been pointed out before but to be safe... The Seattle win over Dallas came just after Seattle lots their #1 and #2 receivers. They had to change their offensive game plan to focus more on Joe Jeriv and Jeremy Stevens. Despite that, they still beat Dallas with solid defense at the end of the game. The whole "Seattle can't play against the 3-4 is a strange urban myth. The much fabled and misunderstood "west coast offense" that Seattle runs was originally developed to defeat the 3-4. Will it? I'll bet yes.

Of course Pittsburgh has good LB's. I mentioned Porter in my original post and said he's dangerous. But I don't think the Pittsburgh D is going to be good enough to shut Seattle's offense down. If Seattle gets any kind of running game going then the Steelers are in for a world of hurt because that'll open up the passing game (I know, not original). I think Pittsburgh's defense will tire out after 2 plus quarters and Seattle will score more late in the game.

Portland Hawk Fan
02-05-2006, 12:08 AM
i wasn't saying anything about the offense.. i was just stating the fact that Seattle can't handle our defensive scheme. Cowher and Lebeau have had 2 weeks to plan as well. If you want to talk about offensive..... Your undersized defensive line will create problems for you. Speed is nothing, will only cause overpursuit and open big holes against our size. Our defensive line is smaller than yours as well, but we don't play the traditional defense Seattle is used to seeing, no matter how much they gameplan, playing against it is a completely different ball game. The fact of the matter is this game will be decided on who controls the ball. Whoever forces turnovers and causes the opponents offense off balance and off their gameplan will win. Lebeau is a master of creating confusion and Seattle is just another victim in the path of his genious.

Pittsburgh isn't an offensive juggernaut- I'm not worried about the points you will put up. This comes down to who scores more points than the other team, and unless you shut down our offense or make huge special teams plays, this game is ours.

Hasselbeck has become the master of dealing with blitzes- thanks to the fact he has multiple options.

Plan all you want- you can't plan against the fact the other team's offense is better than your defense.

"If the defense knows it's coming, so what -- let's do it better. Look at what we do on the goal line. Shaun is the best goal-line back in football. He scores every time we're down there. We don't change. People know it's coming. I'm under center and guys that used to play for us are yelling, 'Here it comes! Right here! We got it!' But they don't got it."

---Matt Hasselbeck

marksashton
02-05-2006, 12:12 AM
PS. I think one of Pittsburgh's best opportunities to win the game may be on special teams. Seattle's special teams have been mediocre at best. Fumble against the Skins could have been fatal if Seattle's offense wasn't so good. Still, turnovers lose games. If either team turns the ball over more than once then they'll probably win.

MagicHawk
02-05-2006, 12:15 AM
PS. I think one of Pittsburgh's best opportunities to win the game may be on special teams. Seattle's special teams have been mediocre at best. Fumble against the Skins could have been fatal if Seattle's offense wasn't so good. Still, turnovers lose games. If either team turns the ball over more than once then they'll probably win.
This is one of the sanest posts I have seen tonight and you are right, the one place I am worried the game may turn on is special teams and it isn't good for my side that Pittsburgh is known for solid special teams play.

brianski71
02-05-2006, 12:22 AM
i cant wait till sunday night about 10pm when bill cowher is hoisting the lombardi and all these seahawks ******s can **** off and die

drizze99
02-05-2006, 12:29 AM
You guys can't claim the Indy 'victory' cause Indy played their 2nd stringers almost the entire game. Did you expect Sorgi to beat you guys...c'mon!! Let's call a spade a spade.

I have looked at your guys schedule PLENTY and there were PLENTY of games that could have gone either way....9ner game, Rams game, NYG game & Dallas game to name a few. Seattle is a very good team so don't get me wrong, but you talk like they are already the champs. The game is played on the field, not on paper.

I know we will get the job done tomorrow and 'handle' that 'potent' offense of yours. LeBeau is a mastermind at defense like Walsh is the mastermind at offense. LeBeau will have an excellent game plan tomorrow to execute. He always put his players in a position to win.

As for our 'O', Ben and Co. will be just fine. We have a lot more weapons than people give us credit for. We have 3 very capable RBs and 3 very capable WRs and mix in a great TE and that is a recipe for disaster on opposing D's. Whiz has been calling phenominal games in the post season and I don't see it ending anytime soon.

Portland Hawk Fan
02-05-2006, 12:38 AM
You guys can't claim the Indy 'victory' cause Indy played their 2nd stringers almost the entire game.

I agree, and you can't claim the Green Bay 'Victory' for the same reason, which means the Seahawks are on a 14 game winning streak.

So, who's the hotter team?

marksashton
02-05-2006, 12:42 AM
If you are going to do a write up you can't just leave out one of the biggest defensive factors. Which is Troy Polamalu. The guy will create some problems for the Seahawks offense.

Mea culpa. I hadn't forgotten about him and shouldn't have omitted him from my post. He could be a game breaker. Or, he could have a bad ankle and be underwhelming. We'll see.

My favorite quote today from John Clayton on ESPN:

Seattle's run defense can't afford to let Willie Parker have a big day. Parker is fast and can burn a defense with his quickness. He's a big-play back who can break two or three 20-yard runs in a game. But against good defenses, he's pretty average. He's not very big and can't wear down a defense physically. Against top 11 defenses, Parker averaged only 49 yards a game during the regular season and only 44 yards a game during the playoffs.

drizze99
02-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Mea culpa. I hadn't forgotten about him and shouldn't have omitted him from my post. He could be a game breaker. Or, he could have a bad ankle and be underwhelming. We'll see.

Seattle's run defense can't afford to let Willie Parker have a big day. Parker is fast and can burn a defense with his quickness. He's a big-play back who can break two or three 20-yard runs in a game. But against good defenses, he's pretty average. He's not very big and can't wear down a defense physically. Against top 11 defenses, Parker averaged only 49 yards a game during the regular season and only 44 yards a game during the playoffs.

What Clayton FAILS to mention is that he faced 8 or 9 guys in the box in those games. I hope Seattle follows suit and does the same thing. Then we'll watch Ben's 124 QB rating at work while he dismantle's your seconday. Like I said before we have weapons on O to handle whatever you throw at us. The NUMER 1 D (Chicago) couldn't stop us, lol.

tony hipchest
02-05-2006, 12:51 AM

while splitting carries with 2 other backs.

Portland Hawk Fan
02-05-2006, 12:51 AM

Parker's the key in my mind. If the Hawks can't stop the run, we won't win- that much is true...

Parker and special teams are my fears.....

MagicHawk
02-05-2006, 12:52 AM
What Clayton FAILS to mention is that he faced 8 or 9 guys in the box in those games. I hope Seattle follows suit and does the same thing. Then we'll watch Ben's 124 QB rating at work while he dismantle's your seconday. Like I said before we have weapons on O to handle whatever you throw at us. The NUMER 1 D (Chicago) couldn't stop us, lol.I don't think they will because this game will not be won by running the ball it is on Ben's arm that you sink or swim. If I were a betting girl they will do something similiar to Carolina a 7 man front rushing 3-4 most the time and putting 7-8 in coverage and seldom blitz since Ben actually reacts better under a blitz, only tomorrow will tell if I guess right.

But then it is an axiom in football no stopping the run you lose. Remember that you guys labor under the same axiom and in general teams haven't had much success in succeeding to uphold that axiom against us.

I agree special teams is my fear also...

tony hipchest
02-05-2006, 12:53 AM
I agree, and you can't claim the Green Bay 'Victory' for the same reason, which means the Seahawks are on a 14 game winning streak.

So, who's the hotter team?

still the steelers. plus theyre the underdogs not supposed to be here. sure they have alot of people betting on them in vegas but thats just because steelerfans probably out number seahawk fans 4:1.

marksashton
02-05-2006, 12:53 AM
What Clayton FAILS to mention is that he faced 8 or 9 guys in the box in those games. I hope Seattle follows suit and does the same thing. Then we'll watch Ben's 124 QB rating at work while he dismantle's your seconday. Like I said before we have weapons on O to handle whatever you throw at us. The NUMER 1 D (Chicago) couldn't stop us, lol.

Couldn't agree more. I don't think Seattle will over play the run. Their defense is so fast that they fill the holes without always bringing in help. Which opens up bodies for pass defense. If your RB has a big day then Seattle will be hurting but I'd be surprised if it happened.

drizze99
02-05-2006, 12:56 AM
I think we will have a good effort from BOTH of our backs meaning that niether of them gets over 100, but I do believe as a team, we will definitely get over 100+ yards.

Is it time to kick the ball off yet?

Portland Hawk Fan
02-05-2006, 12:59 AM
still the steelers. plus theyre the underdogs not supposed to be here. sure they have alot of people betting on them in vegas but thats just because steelerfans probably out number seahawk fans 4:1.

The Steelers are the underdogs now. Jesus f-ing Christ. No wonder you loons love Joey Porter.

drizze99
02-05-2006, 01:04 AM
It's true.... we weren't supposed to go to the big dance this year... win 3 games on the road against the 3 top seeded teams in the AFC. The so-called experts are just now jumping on the bandwagon. F-ck'em, we don't need their support now. WE BELIEVE and that's all that matters...

tony hipchest
02-05-2006, 02:10 AM
The Steelers are the underdogs now. Jesus f-ing Christ. No wonder you loons love Joey Porter.

you dont like that do you?

BritishSteel
02-05-2006, 07:34 AM

And yet you've been saying all through this thread that the Seahawks are so much better than the Steelers. By definition that makes the Steelers underdogs does it not? Which is it - are we the better team or are we the underdogs?

clevestinks
02-05-2006, 07:39 AM
All we need to know about match ups. stats, underdogs, favorites. Its all opinions, gambling bs, and stats that mean NOTHING!

Bottom line! Steelers win! 27-10. Take it to the bank!

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-05-2006, 08:09 AM
This all started with a post saying the Hawks are bigger so that makes them better basically. That just don't hold water.I like Porter against any 300 lb lineman, quickness and strength will win. If nothing else fatboy is gonna end up being tired from trying to put a hit on him.
Tobeck over Casey easily...this boy is on some serious drugs. NOBODY handles Casey easily let alone by himself. :crazy01:
Indy dominated the 2nd half, was you watching the same game I was...more drugs,maybe alcohol?? Regretfully we stopped bringing the pressure for a while and yes they did move the ball BUT when they hit the Redzone the "Curtain" went up ... in reg.season and playoffs.
14 game win streak... IF we hadn't lost to Cincy,and Balt...:blah: :blah: :blah:

Time for talking is almost over BRING IT ON !! LET'S SETTLE IT ON THE FIELD!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2006, 08:10 AM

oh please STFU !! all we've heard for the last 2 weeks is how you guys get no respect and you are the underdogs.. just give it up already ! :chair: