PDA

View Full Version : Linebacker Attack Mode

Set-Man
03-16-2010, 04:32 PM
With the recent re-signing of Larry Foote, it made me think of our starting Linebackers. In my opinion Timmons is much too athletic to put on the field on third down situations only. We could possibly put Woodley on the dline at certain times and Timmons on the outside.

That would give us Harrison and Timmons on the outside, Farrior and Foote on the inside, and Woodley on the line. That would be an awesome way to pressure the q-back on certain downs (3rd and Long).

By the way I met Woodley in person at a New Orleans Hornets game. Man are his upper arms and legs huge!!! Like tree trunks.

Any thoughts?

tony hipchest
03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
to do that, you take either smith or keisel off the field and deny hood an opportunity to come in.

im not sure that is maximizing the talent of your front 7. personally i would take either of the 3 above over foote on the field. otherwise, just take foote off and go with a 4-3 (which is easier said than done).

7willBheaven
03-16-2010, 07:12 PM
One word...No

Prok
03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't mind Woodley playing like a 4-3 DE on 3rd downs. He does that alot anyway, only alot of times with only 2 more rushers gettin' after the QB with him....

I've never been a fan of the 3 man rush crap.

:banging:

Psyychoward86
03-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I think what we have is fine. Just use Foote, to spell Farrior sometimes, and maybe in other packages slide Timmons outside to spell harrison/woodley, and stick Foote in there with Farrior.

After all, we DID originally intend to use Timmons as an OLB when we drafted him. And last year, some of his best pass rushes came when he was in on a twist blitz or rushing from the OLB spot. The kid can pull the trigger from anywhere!

urgle burgle
03-16-2010, 10:45 PM
i say we pull troy on 2nd down, use foote there, on 1st and 3rd down transplant kirshke for clark and switch hood for troy. with this done, both troy and timmons go on the line. 4th down we run fake field goal formation.

tony hipchest
03-16-2010, 10:52 PM
i say we pull troy on 2nd down, use foote there, on 1st and 3rd down transplant kirshke for clark and switch hood for troy. with this done, both troy and timmons go on the line. 4th down we run fake field goal formation.i like your thinking, but it ignores that sepulveda is an ex LB and bigger than farrior.

he's been on the team long enough to take some snaps on defense and be a gunner when reed kicks off. oh, and he needs to replace reed kicking off too...

(kill 2 birds w/1 stone, y'know :wink02:)

steelcity1974
03-17-2010, 06:50 AM
i say we pull troy on 2nd down, use foote there, on 1st and 3rd down transplant kirshke for clark and switch hood for troy. with this done, both troy and timmons go on the line. 4th down we run fake field goal formation.

:tt03:

SteelC7
03-17-2010, 02:56 PM
if one of our d linemen gets hurt, or we wanna switch it up occasionally, we could use 2 linemen and 5 LBs: foote, farrior, timmons, harrison, and woodley, now tell me which ones are blitzing...cant do it can you? neither will opposing QBs

RoethlisBURGHer
03-17-2010, 03:09 PM
if one of our d linemen gets hurt, or we wanna switch it up occasionally, we could use 2 linemen and 5 LBs: foote, farrior, timmons, harrison, and woodley, now tell me which ones are blitzing...cant do it can you? neither will opposing QBs

If I were the QB, I would crap my pants at the sight of that.

As for the signing of Foote, he's a backup on this team. He will spell Farrior and Timmons at times. If one of our LB's get hurt, I think Timmons is the first sub at OLB and that Fox might be the first sub at MLB if there's an injury.

pete74
03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
it would be tough to blitz with only 2 big guys up there trying to hold off a center, 2 gaurds and 2 tackels

Indo
03-17-2010, 03:58 PM
it would be tough to blitz with only 2 big guys up there trying to hold off a center, 2 gaurds and 2 tackels

Yeah, but C'Mon! Just think about it----the Lebeau 2-5!! It would be an Instant Classic with teams all over the league copying it in the next 3 to 5 years. Then BAM! we switch back to the 3-4 and clean house! They won't know what hit them! It will be the dread of Offensive Coordinators throughout the league and Goodell will have to pass another Rule to Combat the Domination of the Pittsburgh Steelers

markymarc
03-20-2010, 12:43 PM
As long as Lawrence Timmons is not taken off the field I will be happy :thumbsup:

Psyychoward86
03-20-2010, 01:02 PM

actually we do that quite a bit on passing downs, Keisel and Smith being the only down linemen with Lebeau throwing up the crazy blitzes with everyone else. How have you not seen that before?

AlleghanyAdams87
03-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Only real change you might see in base defenses is I believe Foote and Timmons should play the two LBs in Nickel Package. Wether or not they want to pull Farrior off on third down, thats the question..

SteelCurtain0815
03-20-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't get why a lot of you think were going to slide Timmons to outside in the future. He isn't physical enough to play OLB in our 3-4. He would get eaten up by opponent's OTs. I think the reason they brought Foote back was for depth, and in time he will take Timmons' spot and Timmons will take Farrior's spot. Just my opinion, but that's the way I see it happening.

kirklandrules
03-21-2010, 09:35 AM
actually we do that quite a bit on passing downs, Keisel and Smith being the only down linemen with Lebeau throwing up the crazy blitzes with everyone else. How have you not seen that before?

That's right and this is not our best pressure package because the opposing O-line are professional football players and they know how to area block. When you only have 2 d-linemen rushing, it's almost easier to for that o-line to block anyone coming into their area. Where we get pressure is when we overload or the d-linemen take up more than one blocker.