PDA

View Full Version : per....inside pittsburgh sports reports............

thermoman
03-16-2010, 07:10 PM
lb coach keith butler was in gainesville today interviewing lb brandon spikes

Northside Jonny
03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
lb coach keith butler was in gainesville today interviewing lb brandon spikes

I'm sorry but the Steelers are going to interview so many prospects between now and the draft this really means nothing.

tony hipchest
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
if it meant nothing teams wouldnt even bother with the 30 interviews they are granted, plus it shows due diligence towards a player several wise draft geeks here have suggested would be a good player to target in later rounds.

i like it when our posters think like the FO. :thumbsup:

as MOP showed in an earlier post 4 of or 30 targeted interviews and visits last year were actually taken by us.

thermoman
03-16-2010, 08:55 PM
spoon........ will be next one to interview...... missouri has a pro day on the 18th

PittdaBurgh56
03-16-2010, 10:49 PM
spoon........ will be next one to interview...... missouri has a pro day on the 18th

Spoon already had his pro day awhile ago

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Pretty much due diligence. If Spikes falls to them in the 2nd and they have already taken a CB, OT, FS.......then I expect they would consider him a good fit at ILB.

Galax Steeler
03-17-2010, 04:53 AM
It is good to hear they are interviewing these guys but we know we can't draft them all.

Northside Jonny
03-17-2010, 04:56 PM
According to McShay todays horrible 40 times have dropped Spikes to the 3rd or 4th round.

taztroy43
03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
According to McShay todays horrible 40 times have dropped Spikes to the 3rd or 4th round.

That would be great to pick him up in the 3rd.....so then we can go with CB/FS(Thomas) n an OL with the first 2 picks!!!!

pancake
03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
That would be great to pick him up in the 3rd.....so then we can go with CB/FS(Thomas) n an OL with the first 2 picks!!!!

CB round 1 and Ol round 2... :thumbsup:

SteelersTilIDie
03-17-2010, 10:34 PM
if it meant nothing teams wouldnt even bother with the 30 interviews they are granted, plus it shows due diligence towards a player several wise draft geeks here have suggested would be a good player to target in later rounds.

i like it when our posters think like the FO. :thumbsup:

as MOP showed in an earlier post 4 of or 30 targeted interviews and visits last year were actually taken by us.

no way is brandon spikes a late rounder, he may even go in the late first,early second dude

SteelerFanInStl
03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
no way is brandon spikes a late rounder, he may even go in the late first,early second dude

Not after that 5.1 40 that he ran today. That's gonna knock him down a couple of rounds.

Steeldude
03-18-2010, 02:04 AM
Not after that 5.1 40 that he ran today. That's gonna knock him down a couple of rounds.

he ran a 5.1 40? do you have a link?

if that's true i wouldn't draft him at all. i wouldn't allow him as a walk-on.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2010, 04:18 AM
There was some talk early in the day that Spikes was telling teammates he was struggling with an injury and was undecided about how much of the workout he would complete today. Sources have also told us that scouts had to prod Spikes to run this morning and told him they needed a time on their sheets before next month’s draft. There is unconfirmed speculation that Spike will run again in the beginning of April.
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=1462

:noidea:

Even with a good time Spikes will never be drafted in the first round...but a good run may put him back into the 2nd round.

Galax Steeler
03-18-2010, 05:22 AM
:noidea:

Even with a good time Spikes will never be drafted in the first round...but a good run may put him back into the 2nd round.

I just don't see Spikes being that slow he had to have something wrong with him. With that kind of speed he would have struggled in college.

Pittsky
03-18-2010, 05:25 AM
i saw tomlin talking to tebow.......god that would be a dream come true....for me anyways...i'm a gators fan...:)

pete74
03-18-2010, 06:59 AM
if we take a cb in the 1st i hope its earl thomas. as for spikes, i bet he goes 2nd or 3rd at worst. he wasnt a 1st rounder and that slow time probably thru him back a few spots but not rounds. he isnt a great ilb but he does play very well and if we could get him in the 3rd i would consider it a steal

SteelerFanInStl
03-18-2010, 09:17 AM
he ran a 5.1 40? do you have a link?

if that's true i wouldn't draft him at all. i wouldn't allow him as a walk-on.

Yep, that's what they were saying on the NFL Network last night. Go to nfl.com and take a look at the Florida Pro Day Video (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81701bc9/Florida-pro-day-report). Go past all of the Tebow crap to 1:53 where Spikes is running the 40.

SteelerFanInStl
03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
i saw tomlin talking to tebow.......god that would be a dream come true....for me anyways...i'm a gators fan...:)

and a nightmare for so many others :toofunny:

StillerzFreak
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM

:thumbsup:

Chomp Chomp!

Steely McSmash
03-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Yep, that's what they were saying on the NFL Network last night. Go to nfl.com and take a look at the Florida Pro Day Video (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81701bc9/Florida-pro-day-report). Go past all of the Tebow crap to 1:53 where Spikes is running the 40.

But consider that this was run on wet grass. He didn't look like a fluid runner for the 40 from what I saw on Path to the Draft yesterday.

Sure seems to be able to make plays on the field though. He's off the olymic relay team but good to go for sundays. he might be worth a look in the 2nd for us IMO.

SteelerFanInStl
03-18-2010, 01:40 PM
But consider that this was run on wet grass. He didn't look like a fluid runner for the 40 from what I saw on Path to the Draft yesterday.

Sure seems to be able to make plays on the field though. He's off the olymic relay team but good to go for sundays. he might be worth a look in the 2nd for us IMO.

Wet grass doesn't make that big of a difference. The other Florida guys seemed to run OK. If he was actually injured, that would make a difference.

He made plays in college. Will he be able to get to the sideline in the pros where everything's much faster?

I hope that we don't use a 2nd on him.

BKAnthem
03-18-2010, 02:35 PM
He made plays in college. Will he be able to get to the sideline in the pros where everything's much faster?

Exactly...

jollyrob68
03-18-2010, 03:34 PM

not running a 5 sec 40 drops to 3-4 round Kiper jr say's 5th now

StillerzFreak
03-19-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree the 40 time is terrible and think our 2nd round pick would be too early for Spikes, but as a Gator fan, I watched Spikes make a lot of tackles in the SEC during his 4 year career, so if for some reason we dont get Spoon or McClain in the 1st, Spikes would be a great 3rd or 4th round pick if he's still available. 40 times are one thing, but football speed is another and Spikes has it and his instincts are above average.

tony hipchest
03-19-2010, 04:48 PM
no way is brandon spikes a late rounder, he may even go in the late first,early second dudethats my bad. i was mixing him up with micah johnson.

but to illustrate how slow spikes ran, jim miller said he ran a faster time at 235 lbs. :doh:

jollyrob68
03-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Brandon Spikes in the 3rd or Micah Johnson in the 5th. Johnson is too stiff,he's way to muscular. I like AJ Edds & Sean Lee

SteelerFanInStl
03-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Brandon Spikes in the 3rd or Micah Johnson in the 5th. Johnson is too stiff,he's way to muscular. I like AJ Edds & Sean Lee

Sean Lee is the guy that I like.