PDA

View Full Version : Can Foote take Farrior's job?

Steelerfreak58
03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Farrior had some big let down plays late in the 4th quarter this last year where it was pretty evident that age is catching up with him. Foote is younger and possibly faster. Do you let him compete for the spot or maybe even give more plays to Farrior off during the first 3 quarters and keep his legs fresh for the 4th?

I am really happy Foote came back it gives us damn good depth but I really would hate to see him sitting on the bench when he can be on the field and contribute as we have all seen in the past.

Just throwing some shit out there folks the season seems so far away! Lets talk football and the upcoming season!

My opinion is Farrior is a leader no doubt about it but Foote could give him some rest time and still utilize Footes ability to start and contribute in a meaningful way keeping him happy and keeping Farrior fresher as the quarters progress and also as the season moves along.

You can't beat off time and it shows as the years progress.

NJarhead
03-16-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't think Foote could replace him mentally. My guess is that they're going for a rotation to both keep everyone fresh and get the use of each their attributes (Farrior, Foote, Timmons).

That said, Foote may be the heir apparent to Farrior after this year. Who knows, maybe Potsie will respond to being pushed by a 3rd ILB.

Corey120120
03-16-2010, 08:24 PM
I dont know if he will "take" Farrior's job, but i think they can switch them in and out and give Farrior a break so he can be fresh later on in the game.

Corey120120
03-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't think Foote could replace him mentally. My guess is that they're going for a rotation to both keep everyone fresh and get the use of each their attributes (Farrior, Foote, Timmons).

That said, Foote may be the heir apparent to Farrior after this year. Who knows, maybe Potsie will respond to being pushed by a 3rd ILB.

:thumbsup:AGREE 100%

slippy
03-16-2010, 09:27 PM
timmons is in line to take over for farrior in a year or two. foote is a run stuffer, and cannot cover very well.

Psyychoward86
03-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Foote plays at the "mack" linebacker position. Farrior doesnt. I dont exactly understand the difference, but im sure if there's different names for it, there is a difference...lol. They have different duties really, so id say no. But in the case of an injury to Farrior, i guess Foote gets the call of duty. Even when Farrior is healthy, I think Foote will be a great help, spelling Farrior as said before above.

tony hipchest
03-16-2010, 10:38 PM

That said, Foote may be the heir apparent to Farrior after this year. Who knows, maybe Potsie will respond to being pushed by a 3rd ILB.actually he is being brought back precisely for his mental-

per wexell:

Yes, if Farrior gets hurt, replacement will be Foote, who's more verbal and understands position and defense better than Timmons.

Foote will back both inside positions, and in place to take Farrior's spot in '11 s/ he knows most complicated Def posiition

timmons is in line to take over for farrior in a year or two. foote is a run stuffer, and cannot cover very well.

and not that his word is gospel but he doesnt think farrior has lost a step (foote spelling him in games should keep both fresh and even better)-

Sorry, but just because of 2 plays I'm not down on Farrior's speed (for Foote?!). Watch last play of Ravens II, James on Rice.

BlockMonsta
03-16-2010, 10:39 PM
We still have K-fox who did well last year.

Steelerfreak58
03-16-2010, 11:43 PM
We still have K-fox who did well last year.

Very true Fox did a hell of a job filling in.

Steeldude
03-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Can Foote take Farrior's job?

i certainly hope not, it would be a disaster. foote may be average on a good day against the run, but he is horrible in pass coverage. he was statistically the most burned LB in the NFL last year in pass coverage. foote in pass coverage is like kordell playing QB.

this is the way i look at it. it's an uncapped year and the lions didn't even want him.

if farrior gets hurt i hope fox comes in. or perhaps timmons to farrior's spot and fox implanted in timmon's.

lionslicer
03-17-2010, 01:13 AM
It will be interesting to see how they are rotated.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-17-2010, 03:19 AM
actually he is being brought back precisely for his mental-

per wexell:

Yes, if Farrior gets hurt, replacement will be Foote, who's more verbal and understands position and defense better than Timmons.

Foote will back both inside positions, and in place to take Farrior's spot in '11 s/ he knows most complicated Def posiition

and not that his word is gospel but he doesnt think farrior has lost a step (foote spelling him in games should keep both fresh and even better)-

Sorry, but just because of 2 plays I'm not down on Farrior's speed (for Foote?!). Watch last play of Ravens II, James on Rice.

Thanks Tony...I was inclined to think think that Timmons would eventually move to the "buck" position with Fox as his backup ....and Foote might be moved to the "mack" when Farrior steps down.

Looks like another case in which I was over analyzing the move.:noidea:

Galax Steeler
03-17-2010, 03:42 AM
I would say if Farrior goes down to injury then yes Foote would replace him. I am sure they will both get about the same amount of playing time being rotated in and out during the game.

SteelGhost
03-17-2010, 10:33 AM
I think Foote is back to provide depth, I don't think he will be the heir apparent to Potsie. I remember watching him waiting for the running backs to tackle them, instead of going after them, it's not a good thing for a guy who is supposed to be a solid run stuffer IMHO :noidea: I thank the guy for his toughness and his contribution to the team though.

Steeldude
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I would say if Farrior goes down to injury then yes Foote would replace him. I am sure they will both get about the same amount of playing time being rotated in and out during the game.

and that's really bad news for the steelers' pass defense. 2009/10's worst pass coverage LB in the NFL taking farrior's spot? :doh::banging:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I think Foote is back to provide depth, I don't think he will be the heir apparent to Potsie. I remember watching him waiting for the running backs to tackle them, instead of going after them, it's not a good thing for a guy who is supposed to be a solid run stuffer IMHO :noidea: I thank the guy for his toughness and his contribution to the team though.

Agreed..thats one of the reasons I have been pimping Micah Johnson in the upcoming draft. Before the injury I thought he rated above Brandon Spikes.

solardave
03-17-2010, 01:43 PM
:thumbsup:AGREE 100%

Me too.:tt04:

Indo
03-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Somebody mentioned not knowing the difference between the "MACK" ILB and the "other one" (known as the "BUCK" ILB)

For those that don't know, the Mack is basically the weak side (away from the TE) ILB and the Buck is the Strong side (Same side as the TE) ILB.
This is in a 3-4 or (rarely used anymore) 4-4 defensive scheme. The OLBs are known as the Sam (strong side) and Will (weakside)

If the defensive scheme is a 4-3 the OLBs are still Sam and Will and the single middle linebacker is now called the Mike 'backer.

Wikipedia has a decent description, but this Cheesehead blogger describes it better, I think

from http://waldo56.wordpress.com/2009/08/21/a-hat-on-a-hat-plus-one/

The ILB’s

There are two distinctly different ILB positions, the SILB and WILB, strong and weak. In Dom’s system the SILB is named the buck, the WILB is named the mack. Unlike the OLB’s, the ILB’s do change sides based on which side the TE is on, with good reason. Usually if there is an uncovered gap or extra blocker, it is on the strong side. When looking at number counts, especially when a FB is involved, there are almost always as many blockers on the strong side as there are defenders. The buck and mack have very different skill sets as it relates to the run.

The buck is a banger. Remember one of the initial premises I made, a back with no blockers isn’t going very far. The buck eliminates the blockers. If there is a G coming through, mix it up with the G and try to keep him in the gap. If the FB is coming through, stop him in his tracks. The last thing you want the buck doing is shedding the blocks, unless the RB is past or nearly past him. If he sheds the blocks early and fails to tackle the back, he made matters worse, now these blockers are in the secondary, the plus one has a blocker coming his way. Not good. The buck is supposed to engage blockers, not run around them.

If the buck has to take care of an offensive lineman, the best you can hope for is that he holds him up in the gap and doesn’t get blown backward or thrown to the ground. Likewise he should hit the FB back and maintain control of the gap. The buck is essentially a small mobile defensive lineman, as it relates to the run, he almost always is part of the gap control scheme and has a gap assigned to him. He did his job if the back has to look elsewhere for an opening and if there are no blockers out in front of him.

The mack is the playmaker. He often has no gap assigned to him. He is to seek and destroy the guy with the ball. If the rest of the front did their jobs, he should be free of blockers. If not, he should shed any block immediately or go around them in pursuit of the ball. The mack is the star of the defense. He should always be around the ball. If he is blocked, the secondary has to make the play.

Buck – Hawk, Lansanah, Havner
Mack – Barnett, Chillar, Bishop

jollyrob68
03-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I think Foote will beat out Farrior and Timmons will move to Farriors spot and Foote will claim his old spot. The Steelers need to pickup 2 LB in this draft. Hopefully the can play either ILB/OLB. I like Micah Johnson(thanks super fly steeler) and I like AJ Edds,Eric Norwood,Koa Misi,sean Lee.

I havent heard a lot on Ricky Sapp good or bad.

NJarhead
03-17-2010, 02:29 PM
actually he is being brought back precisely for his mental-

per wexell:

Right, but not to replace Farrior. I agree that he's got a better grasp of LeBeau's defense than Timmons (agree in a heartbeat actually). But Farrior has the edge IMO with regards to leadership value over Foote.

Corey120120
03-17-2010, 05:36 PM

Ya if you watch his press confrence on the steelers website he says that he is back to provide depth and help everyone out and to be there if someone gets injured
:helmet:

steelerdude15
03-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't see Foote taking Farrior's spot. I see it being Timmons and Farrior as starters with Foote being a back up. He could alternate with these two when they're tired or on plays he could be better at. He could make a good special teams starter, they need all the help they could get.

Galax Steeler
03-17-2010, 06:33 PM
and that's really bad news for the steelers' pass defense. 2009/10's worst pass coverage LB in the NFL taking farrior's spot? :doh::banging:

I know what you are saying and that is why we need to draft someone who can fill in for the aging farriors spot. We need to get some fresh legs in there and quit playing tiddly winks with these veterans.

SteelGhost
03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Ya if you watch his press confrence on the steelers website he says that he is back to provide depth and help everyone out and to be there if someone gets injured
:helmet:

I had not watched it, thanks for the info Corey :thumbsup:

Glad to know Larry knows what's going to be his role coming back to the black & gold.

tube517
03-17-2010, 07:55 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Similar to what they did with McFadden/Gay/Townsend in 2008.

If Farrior and Timmons get a breather every now and then, they will be fresh. Last year they couldn't afford that with no depth. And I think Farrior is on his last legs. Potsie's been great but he can't do it forever.

Same with Randle El. I think he makes the WR corps the deepest in the league. He won't scare defenses but he will help give Grandpa Hines (kidding, Hines rules), Tone and MW17 a breather.

My guess is that they're going for a rotation to both keep everyone fresh and get the use of each their attributes (Farrior, Foote, Timmons).

NJarhead
03-17-2010, 08:02 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Similar to what they did with McFadden/Gay/Townsend in 2008.

If Farrior and Timmons get a breather every now and then, they will be fresh. Last year they couldn't afford that with no depth. And I think Farrior is on his last legs. Potsie's been great but he can't do it forever.

Same with Randle El. I think he makes the WR corps the deepest in the league. He won't scare defenses but he will help give Grandpa Hines (kidding, Hines rules), Tone and MW17 a breather.

Also, someone brought him up earlier, but Key. Fox was solid each time he came in. Not sure if his role would expand, but I like him against the run (and of course on St's).

tony hipchest
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Also, someone brought him up earlier, but Key. Fox was solid each time he came in. Not sure if his role would expand, but I like him against the run (and of course on St's).didnt the steelers lock up key fox for about a million/year? what does steelers management and coaches know that we dont, that caused them to go out and spend $3 mil/year for his replacement as a back up? :huh:

NJarhead
03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
didnt the steelers lock up key fox for about a million/year? what does steelers management and coaches know that we dont, that caused them to go out and spend $3 mil/year for his replacement as a back up? :huh:

I don't honestly know Tone. Maybe they threw caution to the wind with regards to a salary cap after all. :noidea: :chuckle:

tony hipchest
03-17-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't honestly know Tone. Maybe they threw caution to the wind with regards to a salary cap after all. :noidea: :chuckle:me neither. they are obviously more commited to foote as opposed to fox at this point.

i think it just might be the cost of running lebeaus defense. you practically need a football player with an IQ of 140+ to come in and execute it near flawlessly within the 1st two years. (and we know there arent many of those) :oops:

NJarhead
03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
me neither. they are obviously more commited to foote as opposed to fox at this point.

i think it just might be the cost of running lebeaus defense. you practically need a football player with an IQ of 140+ to come in and execute it near flawlessly within the 1st two years. (and we know there arent many of those) :oops:

I agree that his familiarization was a key factor. But you do bring up a good point and the weakest link would have to be Farrior here (based on the Key and Foote signings and with his struggles of '09 in mind - For the record, I still love the guy to death no matter what). Could they be considering his retirement after this season?

tube517
03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Totally forgot about Key. He looked good when Timmons was out.

Maybe they should let Timmons alternate with Woodley and Harrison. So many scenarios now. Key and Foote as backups - this LB corps is deep!
Key can get a breather now playing ST's and alternate.

Also, someone brought him up earlier, but Key. Fox was solid each time he came in. Not sure if his role would expand, but I like him against the run (and of course on St's).

Steeldude
03-18-2010, 12:37 AM
I know what you are saying and that is why we need to draft someone who can fill in for the aging farriors spot. We need to get some fresh legs in there and quit playing tiddly winks with these veterans.

i agree. i just hope they don't wait until the 6th round to draft a LB.

Galax Steeler
03-18-2010, 03:32 AM
i agree. i just hope they don't wait until the 6th round to draft a LB.

McClain I hope:popcorn:

SteelerFanInStl
03-18-2010, 08:11 AM
McClain I hope:popcorn:

Unless we trade up, McClain will be gone. I'd love to see him fall to us but I don't think it's gonna happen.

KeiselPower99
03-19-2010, 07:38 PM
In the instance that Farrior has alot of let downs this year Foote knows the defensive calls better then Timmons. I wonder what Foote coming back means for Keyaron Fox. He has shown alot since we signed him. I think this will be Farriors last year with us.

Steelerfreak58
03-19-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree that his familiarization was a key factor. But you do bring up a good point and the weakest link would have to be Farrior here (based on the Key and Foote signings and with his struggles of '09 in mind - For the record, I still love the guy to death no matter what). Could they be considering his retirement after this season?

Got to agree. I absolutely hate seeing players degrade because of age but it showed on Farrior this year in the 4th quarter. Fox did great coming in when he was needed as others have said the LB corps is DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. I just wish our CBs were as deep! :sofunny:

Psyychoward86
03-19-2010, 09:27 PM
If Farrior declines rapidly again next season (IF!), I wonder what we could get out of him in a trade

That's a big, big if. But i just want to know what u guys think.