PDA

View Full Version : If I were GM, I wouldn't sign a Steeler FA

ETL
03-16-2010, 11:34 PM
I can't think of the last Steeler free agent that really succeeded elsewhere. Maybe Chris Hope or Kevin Greene. But other GMs should now be aware that when Pittsburgh lets a player leave as a free agent they've generally used them up. Here are reasons why I would not sign a Steeler free agent

1. The Steelers sign their own proven talents early and generally at a home team discount. If a player is available, that means that the Steelers talent scouts believe he's washed up (eg Thigpen, Marvel Smith) or a head case (eg Plexico)

2. Many Steeler players look better than they really are. Or a better way to say it is that they are better players in the Steeler system and with all the other talent around them. When they go to another team, they seem average. There are many recent examples of this: Randle El, Porter, Foote, etc.

This to me explains why there is generally little interest in Steelers FAs.

tony hipchest
03-16-2010, 11:44 PM
faneca.

plax, woodson, and porter all had some (atleast 1 of) their best years on other teams. i think its mostly hit or miss. most people thought haggans was ready to be sent out to pasture like gildon, and he has done alright in the desert. breuner and kreider also held on much longer than expected.

but yeah, we usually dont let our big dollar FA's get away for their 2nd contract. (like mcfaadden)

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
The Steelers will typically not OVERpay to keep a player...that's not a mystery, nor does it mean there's something wrong with the player. It's just how the Rooney's operate...

Cinnjerm
03-17-2010, 07:43 PM
faneca.

plax, woodson, and porter all had some (atleast 1 of) their best years on other teams. i think its mostly hit or miss. most people thought haggans was ready to be sent out to pasture like gildon, and he has done alright in the desert. breuner and kreider also held on much longer than expected.

but yeah, we usually dont let our big dollar FA's get away for their 2nd contract. (like mcfaadden)

co-sign and /thread

pete74
03-18-2010, 06:53 AM
faneca is one i would love to of kept along with woodson. faneca is still a probowl player and if we had him we would be a tough team to beat. our passing game was on last year and with faneca there to run behind we would of breezed into the playoffs.

as for the majority of steeler free agents, we do a really good job at knowing who to let go. there are some like faneca we just cant afford but usually when we let someone go they take a HUGE step backwards that next year while playing for another team

Milkman
03-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Wasn't Vrabel a free agent?

pete74
03-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Wasn't Vrabel a free agent?

yes he was. steelers drafted him in the 3rd round but he never played to much with us and never became really good until he went to new england after his 4th year i belive.

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Probably a few good reasons you are not a GM.

ETL
03-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Faneca was so valuable that we accidently won a Super Bowl without him. He was a cancer (i.e. headcase) on our team and in my view, has been totally overrated on the Jets. I agree with the Steelers on letting him go.

Woodson refused to switch to safety and insisted on playing CB. He sucked at it while he was a 49er (i.e washed up as a CB) and finally made the switch to safety as a Raven and Raider. If he was willing to switch to S as a Steeler, we would have kept him. I agree with the Steelers' assessment

Porter - there is no way he had as good of a year as he did as a Steeler. He was clearly a player that looked better in the Steeler system than his pure talent. He was still servicable - but there was no way I would have kept him over Harrison.

Plexico still had yet to reach his peak but he was a headcase - there was good reason to get rid of him.

Vrable did not fit our system. We had too much talent at LB to keep this guy. He was neither washed up or a headcase so I would put him in the Chris Hope / Kevin Greene category.

Kris Brown - I think letting him go was a big mistake. We suffered for a while trying to find a kicker and lucked out with Jeff Reed. As you can see, the FO did not make the same mistake twice placing the tag on Reed

Psyychoward86
03-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Probably a few good reasons you are not a GM.

QFT

tony hipchest
03-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Faneca was so valuable that we accidently won a Super Bowl without him. He was a cancer (i.e. headcase) on our team and in my view, has been totally overrated on the Jets. I agree with the Steelers on letting him go.

Woodson refused to switch to safety and insisted on playing CB. He sucked at it while he was a 49er (i.e washed up as a CB) and finally made the switch to safety as a Raven and Raider. If he was willing to switch to S as a Steeler, we would have kept him. I agree with the Steelers' assessment

Porter - there is no way he had as good of a year as he did as a Steeler. He was clearly a player that looked better in the Steeler system than his pure talent. He was still servicable - but there was no way I would have kept him over Harrison.

Plexico still had yet to reach his peak but he was a headcase - there was good reason to get rid of him.

Vrable did not fit our system. We had too much talent at LB to keep this guy. He was neither washed up or a headcase so I would put him in the Chris Hope / Kevin Greene category.

Kris Brown - I think letting him go was a big mistake. We suffered for a while trying to find a kicker and lucked out with Jeff Reed. As you can see, the FO did not make the same mistake twice placing the tag on Reed

:rofl: kris brown :rofl: vrabel did not fit a 3-4 :rofl: porters 17 sacks with miami :rofl: agreeing with getting rid of woodson :rofl:

:toofunny: kris brown :toofunny:

is there any REAL football talk going on around here? :mg:

next. :coffee: