PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers are waiting for ...

Heart4Steelers
03-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Byron Leftwich to become available.

Has the media in Pittsburgh reporting this? I think BL would be better to have than Batch.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d16-Pittsburgh-Steelers-daily-digest-Tony-Pike-exclusiveCould-Steelers-be-eyeing-player-draft-day

Galax Steeler
03-17-2010, 04:47 AM
I seen this if this is true then I think we need to get him signed I think Batch's days are winding down.

zulater
03-17-2010, 06:26 AM
I would like to see Leftwich and Dixon be given an equal chance to compete for either the 2nd string job or the starters role if Ben can't get his mess cleared up in time.

stillers4me
03-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Would love to see Byron back in the black and gold. Hope it's true. Nobody can take Ben's place or give us the thrilling plays quite like he does...I'll just take the wins if he is out for any period of time.

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Bring Back Lefty! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

That is all.

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Based on one good half against the Redskins. I'd rather see Dixon take the reins if the worst comes to pass. There is a reason Leftwich was available when Batch broke his collarbone in preseason and there is also a reason he was unceremoniously benched by TB.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Bring Back Lefty! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

That is all.

:iagree:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Based on one good half against the Redskins. I'd rather see Dixon take the reins if the worst comes to pass. There is a reason Leftwich was available when Batch broke his collarbone in preseason and there is also a reason he was unceremoniously benched by TB.

I actually see where yo are coming from....I would love to see Leftwich back in a Steelers uniform...BUT...he very well might be behind Dixon on the depth chart.

Bring Lefty in for the right price and he fits the perfect role as a mentor for Dixon and an extra set of experienced eyes to disect the defense for Ben from the sidleline.

pete74
03-17-2010, 08:22 AM

agreed. i think dixon gives our team the best chance to win(with the obvious exception of ben) and i would rather him be back there then leftwich. dixon has a good arm and the ability to scramble and take it home anytime he touches the ball.

SteelerFanInStl
03-17-2010, 09:14 AM

:iagree: I'll take Lefty back as a #3 only. He was terrible last year at TB.

Steelers>NFL
03-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Everybody in TB was terrible!
BL was fine is Pittsburgh the season before.
So I would not write him off based on his
play in TB last season.

zulater
03-17-2010, 10:24 AM

Who wouldn't look bad in Tampa Bay last year? Besides not having a particuarly talented team that was one of the worst coaching staffs ever assembled.

zulater
03-17-2010, 10:26 AM

What would be wrong with bringing back Leftwich and have he and Dixon compete for the back-up job? Better man through OTA's and training camp gets the job.

tube517
03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
True but TB doesn't have 2 SB MVP 1,000 WR's, a star in the making #3 WR, A stud at TE and a 1000 yd RB.

mulldog24
03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
I would love to have Lefty back, as stated previously Lefty was bad on a bad Tampa team and he was good on a good Steeler team. Bring him back for experience and competition for Dixon.

SteelerFanInStl
03-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Everybody in TB was terrible!
BL was fine is Pittsburgh the season before.
So I would not write him off based on his
play in TB last season.

Who wouldn't look bad in Tampa Bay last year? Besides not having a particuarly talented team that was one of the worst coaching staffs ever assembled.

That's like saying that Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn only looked bad in Cleveland because they were on a terrible team.

Just like Fansince said, there was a reason why Lefty was available when the Steelers signed him. His career QB rating of 79.6 should tell you something. I'd take him as 3rd string, nothing more.

jonslow
03-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Leftwich was really valuable two years ago and I was happy with how he performed in the backup role, but he's two years older now. I don't think he can stick around too much longer. I'd like to see him come in and compete with Dixon. Veteran leadership is underrated, especially with a young kid like Dixon on the roster competing for the backup job. Letwich is a good character guy and has a ton of experience. It can only benefit us to bring him back.

Shoes
03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I like DD and Lefty.....but think Donovan McNabb may be taking the snaps by August......maybe :chuckle:

solardave
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM

The point here is HE IS NOT A STARTER but can do a good job off the bench. Isay give him a shot.

steeltheone
03-17-2010, 03:25 PM
agreed. i think dixon gives our team the best chance to win(with the obvious exception of ben) and i would rather him be back there then leftwich. dixon has a good arm and the ability to scramble and take it home anytime he touches the ball.

C'mon A guy with 1 career start gives us our best chance over a Vet like Leftwitch...No way...

stlrtruck
03-17-2010, 03:41 PM

You're right, there is a huge reason why he was benched in TB and it had very little to do with his play on the field. He was making plays for the Bucs but because the defense was old and couldn't stop anyone, the fans-the media-the coaches, were looking for a scape goat and when they turned around, there was Byron.

The O-line wasn't capable of stopping my 4 year old, and while Byron still fired in a lot of the short yardage passes, his WR corp wasn't doing him any favors down field.

If I recall correctly, he was cut from Atlanta due more to the financial side of the game than his ability.

Personally, I wouldn't mind him getting another shot at being backup for the Steelers. I mean worse case scenario he comes to camp and gets cut because Dixon is better than he was two years ago. At least it will bring more competition for Dixon which in turn will help him perform better and get better.

steelreserve
03-17-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't care about Leftwich anymore. He had a purpose when Dixon was a rookie coming off a major knee injury, but now, it'd just be a waste of a roster spot. If Dixon is supposed to be the #2 QB of the future, the time is now. When Dixon was thrown into the fire, he did pretty well; I'm just as confident in him as Leftwich.

As far as Pike goes, I absolutely LOVE that guy's potential. I don't really see us drafting a QB, but if we did, he's one that would make me happy.

Plus, if you're looking for a guy who's not going to cause off-the-field problems, Pike has got to be it. I mean, the guy spent four years playing football in Cincinnati without going to jail. What more proof do you need?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-17-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd rather have Dixon as the #2 and Charlie as the #3...Leftwich is dreadful. The guy is slower than molasses and he'd get killed behind this offensive line. Ben gets sacked because he holds the ball too long... Leftwich would simply because he can't move.

I think it's time we sever ties for good with him...

steelerdude15
03-17-2010, 05:31 PM
It would add more depth which is always a good thing.

Preacher
03-17-2010, 07:15 PM

As a backup, I think he is a excellent find.

As far as "the worst coming to past" well, you may be right. However, there are a number of QB's who hit a second wind late in their careers. Personally, I would rather bank on Lefty in either role at this point than any of the other QB's that are available (not counting the draft... or actually, maybe counting the draft).

Shoes
03-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Hey, did you see Mike T, and Tebow chatting it up today at his P day?

Shoes
03-17-2010, 11:01 PM

Sorry, I forgot this.......:chuckle:

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 11:02 PM

Sorry, I forgot this.......:chuckle:

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

steelreserve
03-18-2010, 01:04 AM
I'd rather have Dixon as the #2 and Charlie as the #3...Leftwich is dreadful. The guy is slower than molasses and he'd get killed behind this offensive line. Ben gets sacked because he holds the ball too long... Leftwich would simply because he can't move.

Uhh ... Leftwich didn't get killed when he played for us, and it was the same offensive line, only worse. He knew he had to get rid of the ball quickly, so he did, and the pass rush barely got to him at all. Ben continued to insist on trying to throw 40-yard bombs every other play.

Anyway, that notwithstanding, I still don't think Leftwich would add much for us THIS season. I just don't think his style would be the disaster that you're predicting.

tony hipchest
03-18-2010, 01:09 AM
i think the only pass that sweed ever caught in his professional career was a lazer bullet thrown on a frozen rope from leftwich. :hunch:

Steeldude
03-18-2010, 01:43 AM
i doubt leftwich would be the 3rd string QB. if BR goes down with an injury why would you want an inexperienced QB like dixon to take his place?

steelreserve
03-18-2010, 03:36 AM
i doubt leftwich would be the 3rd string QB. if BR goes down with an injury why would you want an inexperienced QB like dixon to take his place?

I honestly think Dixon is going to be pretty good. He didn't get rattled or overwhelmed when we called on him this year, and his accuracy is about as good as I've seen. If he didn't make that one bad pass against the Ravens, we'd be giving him the old slop-n'-mop instead of having this conversation, and wondering why we were so blessed to find a respectable backup in the fifth round. As it stands, I see that as a rookie mistake that he probably would've learned to avoid with more pro experience.

Also, this is the last year of Dixon's contract. If he's not the clear #2 backup by now, we can kiss his ass goodbye when the season's over, and he'll go somewhere with a realistic chance of at least getting on the field.

In summary, I don't think Dixon is much of a downgrade over Leftwich (if he is at all), and we get the added benefit of maybe finding out that out backup kicks ass. Leftwich would be only a short-term rental and likely not any better.

mikegrimey
03-19-2010, 05:59 PM
YOu're all speculating these great things about leftwich based on one solid half against a team that wasn't even prepared to play him. You all say dixon isn't experienced, and how do you propose he gets experience? By watching washed dinosaurs like leftwich step in front of him---f
dixon is three years in, and showed guts and skill in a terrible situation last year, if he's not ready now, he never will be

BlockMonsta
03-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Like others have said I would rather see Dixon. Bl did well, as did Dixon but I just like the idea of having a dual threat QB in there such as Dixon.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-19-2010, 11:05 PM
I think we would have to go with Dixon. Hes young, mobile, and has been groomed for the last 2 seasons. He ran the offense well, although I would like to have seen him throw a few more balls against baltimore.
Dixon is mobile enough to survive in our offense but may not be big enough to take all the hits?

Psyychoward86
03-19-2010, 11:06 PM
I think a lot of people are overrating Leftwich and underrating the potential of Dixon.

Preacher
03-20-2010, 12:08 AM
I think a lot of people are overrating Leftwich and underrating the potential of Dixon.

Naa.

I think people are seeing the distinction between what can be done right now, and what can be done in the future.

If we need a QB at the beginning of the year, I think Lefty has a better chance of winning each week then Dixon does.

Dixon still has a learning curve to overcome.

pete74
03-20-2010, 06:26 AM
yea i would rather start dixon myself. he has been with us for 2 years and if he started taking all the 1st team snaps in training camp i think he can be good. obviously nobody knows for sure but he was an awesome qb at oregon and i wouldnt mind seeing what he can do with time to perpare. the last time he started he didnt know he was playing until the night before

mikegrimey
03-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Naa.

I think people are seeing the distinction between what can be done right now, and what can be done in the future.

If we need a QB at the beginning of the year, I think Lefty has a better chance of winning each week then Dixon does.

Dixon still has a learning curve to overcome.

I see what you're saying, but I won't buy into this ideology.

Fact is, Dixon isn't going to get any more "prepared" while watching a mediocre QB from the sidelines for a whole season. He's had 2 years to get ready.

Also, you really think the Steelers could win a championship with Byron at the helm? Unless i'm mistaken, he never won a playoff game while he was with the Jaguars. There's a lot of tape on Byron and it all leads to failure in the end, at least with Dixon you have the upside of youth.
Just think what would have happened to our team if either Charlie Batch and Tommy Maddox didn't get hurt in the 04 season, Ben may not have seen the field until his third year because some people foolishly go for steady unspectacular veterans over the potential of a young player.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Just because we bring back Lefty does not mean he will be the starter. I for one would love to see some competition between him and Dixon. I have all the confidence in the world in Dixon, but I also have a lot of confidence in Lefty and would feel great if we had them both.

Fire Haley
03-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Batch is done - his old bones are so brittle he'd shatter if he dropped a spoon on his foot.

Put me down for a 'Yes' to Lefty in the short term - if they release him.

So Pike and Tebow are both there for the taking at the end of the 3rd rd. Who would you take?

Vincent
03-20-2010, 11:08 AM
So Pike and Tebow are both there for the taking at the end of the 3rd rd. Who would you take?

I'd take Tebow in a heartbeat. His résumé and leadership don't need any more ballyhooing. None less than John Gruden thinks he will be a great NFL QB... http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/17121/gruden_believes_in_tim_tebow,_nfl_qb Why? Because he will drive himself to be the best he can be. He will learn. He will improve.

We've blown 2nds and 3rds on much worse.

Shoes
03-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd take Tebow in a heartbeat. His résumé and leadership don't need any more ballyhooing. None less than John Gruden thinks he will be a great NFL QB... http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/17121/gruden_believes_in_tim_tebow,_nfl_qb Why? Because he will drive himself to be the best he can be. He will learn. He will improve.

We've blown 2nds and 3rds on much worse.

I agree Vin, this kid has the tools for living on and off the field. He won't be around for the 3rd, that's for sure Killer.

SteelerFanInStl
03-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Neither. We don't need to waste a 3rd round pick on a QB that we don't need. I'll never understand why so many people hang on Tebow's jock so much.

Psyychoward86
03-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Neither. We don't need to waste a 3rd round pick on a QB that we don't need. I'll never understand why so many people hang on Tebow's jock so much.

Intangibles. PHENOMENAL intangibles.

SteelerFanInStl
03-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Intangibles. PHENOMENAL intangibles.

Name them. Everything that I've seen shows poor footwork, poor throwing form with a slow release and slow at reading defenses. One day of throwing scripted plays in front of scouts with a new throwing motion doesn't mean that problem is fixed. He was already going back to his old habits when he started getting tired. People seem to like him so much because he's a clean kid and Jesus lover. He's got desire and heart but it takes much more than that to be successful in the NFL. I'm just tired of hearing about him non-stop.

He may eventually make it in the NFL but that's not even the point that I was making. There's no reason for the Steelers to waste a 3rd round pick on a QB when we have Dennis Dixon already and a lot of other positions of need.

HughC
03-21-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't follow the 'can't start Dixon, he has no experience' logic. Every quarterback in the history of the NFL at one time had no experience. In case anyone has forgotten, there's another quarterback on this roster who did okay in his first season as a starter. The reason some quarterbacks do poorly as rookies is probably due more to the team they are surrounded with than anything else. I'd feel differently if we were talking about a guy who was playing college ball the previous season, but with two years to learn the system he should be more prepared than someone close to retirement who was in a different system last year.

Steely McSmash
03-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Name them. Everything that I've seen shows poor footwork, poor throwing form with a slow release and slow at reading defenses. One day of throwing scripted plays in front of scouts with a new throwing motion doesn't mean that problem is fixed. He was already going back to his old habits when he started getting tired. People seem to like him so much because he's a clean kid and Jesus lover. He's got desire and heart but it takes much more than that to be successful in the NFL. I'm just tired of hearing about him non-stop.

He may eventually make it in the NFL but that's not even the point that I was making. There's no reason for the Steelers to waste a 3rd round pick on a QB when we have Dennis Dixon already and a lot of other positions of need.

I'm not a huge Tebow booster and I would not draft him in the third, but your efforts to refute this are not making a whole lot of sense.

Pointing out a bunch of things about his form doesn't refute intangibles. I don't recall anyone on here saying that they were sold due to his pro day so that means nothing.

I also don't think we have positions of need. The FO has made the draft a total crap shoot this year. There are a lot of places that can be upgraded but we're returning all the starters. And if you're going to bring up the secondary, I'd say the addition of a FA safety to replace TC, 2 rookies coming back with a year of experience, and #43 back on the field makes the secondary an "upgrade opportunity" rather than a need.

I expect them to draft a QB this year but maybe another 5th round guy.

Preacher
03-22-2010, 03:36 AM

If he falls to the third round, and is BPA, why not take him instead of reaching. How many times have we struck gold in the 3-7th rounds over the last few years? I really don't think it is that drastic of a choice. On top of that, this team seems to prefer undrafted rookies instead of 3-7 round drafted rookies.

steelreserve
03-22-2010, 03:42 AM

Thanks to all the free agent signings, a third-round pick probably isn't going to make the team this year except in a handful of positions where we have a roster spot open and can carry a guy to develop. Right now, that looks like QB and maybe RB, DB or LB, but maybe not. Possibly K if we get tired of Reed's bullshit. More likely than not, we won't risk putting a third-round guy on the practice squad because he'll get snatched.

Third QB presents a perfect option to do something because it kind of takes a roster spot and kind of doesn't. We already have a marginal guy outgoing at 3rd QB who we need to replace. Our second QB has one year on his contract and is probably leaving unless something happens to our first QB. Our first QB introduced a chance, even if it's a 5% chance, that he won't be able to play for us long-term. And you're telling me you think it's a waste to spend a second-day pick on that position?

SteelerFanInStl
03-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Pointing out a bunch of things about his form doesn't refute intangibles. I don't recall anyone on here saying that they were sold due to his pro day so that means nothing.

You don't draft a guy in the 3rd round because of 'intangibles'.

SteelerFanInStl
03-22-2010, 08:44 AM
If he falls to the third round, and is BPA, why not take him instead of reaching. How many times have we struck gold in the 3-7th rounds over the last few years? I really don't think it is that drastic of a choice. On top of that, this team seems to prefer undrafted rookies instead of 3-7 round drafted rookies.

IMO he wouldn't be the BPA. I'd rather see an OL, CB, S or DL. There will be plenty of quality players at those positions in the 3rd.

Steely McSmash
03-22-2010, 12:33 PM
You don't draft a guy in the 3rd round because of 'intangibles'.

Somebody will -- for the intangibles, the athletecism. I'll be surprised if he makes it past the second.

SteelerFanInStl
03-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Somebody will -- for the intangibles, the athletecism. I'll be surprised if he makes it past the second.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes him that early. There are lots of stupid picks every year. I just don't want it to be the Steelers.

KeiselPower99
03-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Id welcome Byron back no problem. It never hurts to have quality guys in waiting.

markymarc
03-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I would take Lefty over Batch everyday and twice on Sundays!