PDA

View Full Version : List ranks best, deadliest U.S. roads

Galax Steeler
03-17-2010, 04:51 AM
(CNN) -- Before you take a road trip this summer, check out which routes could make your journey a smooth one and which ones have the potential for trouble.

Kansas, Wisconsin and Montana have the best roads in the country, according to a list compiled by Reader's Digest.

The magazine looked at data from the Federal Highway Administration -- such as highway and bridge conditions, as well as congestion and the rate of fatalities -- to come up with the rankings.

But while Montana made the "best" list because of its good infrastructure and few bottlenecks, it also had some dishonorable mentions.

Montana tops both the list of states with the deadliest roads (followed by Louisiana and South Carolina) as well as the list of deadliest states when it comes to driving under the influence; South Carolina and Louisiana come in second and third in that category.

"[Montana] tops the deadliest list in part because of drivers who drink, drive recklessly or shun seat belts," the magazine's editors said.

Meanwhile, Alabama was ranked as the deadliest state for speeding, followed by Mississippi and South Carolina.

Reader's Digest also compiled a list of what it called "dreaded, dreadful and deadly" stretches of road that truck drivers and other veteran travelers complain about, including Interstate 5 in California, Pennsylvania roads "in general" and I-285 in Atlanta, Georgia.

The magazine's best bets for "safe, scenic and sensible" roads include I-70 through Kansas, I-40 across New Mexico and California and I-84 in Oregon.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/16/best.deadliest.roads/index.html?hpt=Sbin

SCSTILLER
03-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Not surprised to see South Carolina ranked high in deadliest roads. It is quite humurous trying to drive around down here and watching the stupidity unfold on a daily basis on the roads. Then you throw in the rain, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

fansince'76
03-17-2010, 06:42 AM
The magazine's best bets for "safe, scenic and sensible" roads include I-70 through Kansas, I-40 across New Mexico and California and I-84 in Oregon.

Obviously written by someone who has never actually driven through Kansas on I-70. Safe and sensible, maybe, but scenic? No, unless you consider a pancake-flat landscape with nothing, and I mean nothing, but miles and miles and miles of cornfields "scenic."

GBMelBlount
03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Not surprised to see South Carolina ranked high in deadliest roads. It is quite humurous trying to drive around down here and watching the stupidity unfold on a daily basis on the roads. Then you throw in the rain, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LOL.

I cannot speak for South Carolina but I personally feel there are some bad roads in PA. There are stretches of both I70 & 76 that are absolute nail baiters, especially during bad weather...

MACH1
03-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Obviously they haven't been to my neck of the woods in the winter where they don't believe in snowplows.

SCSTILLER
03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
LOL.

I cannot speak for South Carolina but I personally feel there are some bad roads in PA. There are stretches of both I70 & 76 that are absolute nail baiters, especially during bad weather...

Oh yeah, I know. What is it? Route 19 where near the intersect of I-79 right outside of Pittsburgh. That is always a tad sporty when I am driving to see my folks on vacation. PA turnpike, that's a blast too. Plus, I am still looking for my old car in a pot hole that I hit several years back near Wexford

tony hipchest
03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Obviously written by someone who has never actually driven through Kansas on I-70. Safe and sensible, maybe, but scenic? No, unless you consider a pancake-flat landscape with nothing, and I mean nothing, but miles and miles and miles of cornfields "scenic." would this be the same God forsaken road that takes you from colorado springs to kansas? colorado is beautiful until you start heading east from the rockies towards kansas. i went there once for a weekend to corral some cattle/ irrigate some corn fields/ ride a horse/ drag main st/ and experience small town farm life, as a teenager. the 4 hour drive completely sucked and i swore thats as close as i will ever get to the mid-west ever again.

I-40 through NM and AZ is really nice. unfortunately NM has a horrible drunk driving record and nearly leads the nation in deaths per capita. I-40 goes east-west through gallup (indian reservation). if you go north towards the 4 corners region on hwy 666, you will notice streetlights in the middle of nowhere for about 5-10 miles outside of the small town.

i found this odd when i first traveled through. i later learned this was one of the most deadliest stretches of hwy in america. not because of the drivers, but because of the high number of drunk native americans struck by cars walking along the road (i know it sounds stereotypical, but the problem was so bad, they put up tons of lights to light highways in the middle of nowhere).

i have since noticed this around other reservations here in the southwest. (i have also driven on the other hwy 666 in southern AZ made famous by AC/DC).

GBMelBlount
03-18-2010, 07:38 AM
i found this odd when i first traveled through. i later learned this was one of the most deadliest stretches of hwy in america. not because of the drivers, but because of the high number of drunk native americans struck by cars walking along the road (i know it sounds stereotypical, but the problem was so bad, they put up tons of lights to light highways in the middle of nowhere).

...and on the positive side, at least they're not driving drunk.

GBMelBlount
03-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Oh yeah, I know. What is it? Route 19 where near the intersect of I-79 right outside of Pittsburgh. That is always a tad sporty when I am driving to see my folks on vacation. PA turnpike, that's a blast too. Plus, I am still looking for my old car in a pot hole that I hit several years back near Wexford

Yes,19 has some bad spots as well.

PA arguably has some of the worst maintained roads in the country.

Partially due to the terrible weather I would imagine.