PDA

View Full Version : Freddie Barnes and BG's pro day

jonslow
03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Bowling Green's pro day was yeterday. Freddie Barnes worked out in front of scouts from 14 NFL teams including one of our very own.

There's been no official word on Barnes' 40-time, but early indications at that he ran a high-4.5, low-4.6 40, which was what he was expected to run.

I overheard one scout talking about Barnes and his agility, which is very good and could offset his slow-ish 40 time. As a projected slot receiver, route-running and agility are especially important for Barnes.

During receiving drills, Barnes looked very, very good at times. He displayed great hands and the ability to run crisp routes. Last season at Bowling Green, Barnes put together a phenominal season and was a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award.

I for one would like to see Barnes in black and gold next year. If he slips into the fifth round, he would be a great pick for the steelers as someone to replace Hines Ward in the slot for the future.

SteelMember
03-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Definately a guy I'd have on the radar for the later rounds.

I know he has good hands, and is versitle in the fact he could throw the ball if needed. Some of the things Randle El was quite good at, and could be still asked to do.

Another guy that is a little taller, with some more speed might be Marcus Easley. He hasn't done much before his final season, but he definately has the "I like 'em tall" red zone ability we're still waiting on.

The guy I really like in these later rounds is Blair White. The guy has a great work ethic, and is a very tough. He has some good hands, accompaning some good route running. Best of all, he'll throw a block without batting an eye. He could be that physical, possession receiver that could replace Hines, as you eluded to with Barnes.

Northside Jonny
03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
I hope like hell we land Freddie B.

mulldog24
03-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I really like this kid and you can't deny his production, I hope we get him come April.

MasterOfPuppets
03-19-2010, 01:23 AM
since the steelers decided to waste 2 roster spots on 2 vet receivers with zero upside, i don't see them using more than a 7th rd pick on WR if at all since most likely they end up on the practice squad anyway unless they're a special teams demon.

Steely McSmash
03-20-2010, 05:37 PM
since the steelers decided to waste 2 roster spots on 2 vet receivers with zero upside, i don't see them using more than a 7th rd pick on WR if at all since most likely they end up on the practice squad anyway unless they're a special teams demon.

Do you think they might deal one of those guys for something if we draft a guy? Thinking about Battle mostly I guess. I doubt the team would do that since they seem to give the players quite a bit of respect.

Texasteel
03-20-2010, 09:39 PM
If we take a WR, it should be very late. I am still interested to see what Easley could do.

SteelerFanInStl
03-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Do you think they might deal one of those guys for something if we draft a guy? Thinking about Battle mostly I guess. I doubt the team would do that since they seem to give the players quite a bit of respect.

No. We signed Battle because he's a very good special teams player and we need help there. There's no reason to draft a WR until late and that guy will probably be a practice squad player.

MasterOfPuppets
03-20-2010, 10:25 PM

nope..they're already on the hook for million dollar signing bonus's for both battle AND A.R.E., so pretty much the receiving core is already decided despite who they have a chance to draft. they might use a 7th on a guy just for practice squad competition with grisham... i'd have to say signing both of them so quick was one of the dumbest moves the steelers have made since bring that bum mayhan in. :banging:

Galax Steeler
03-21-2010, 08:19 AM
I think we will draft a receiver before the 5th round I just have a gutsy feeling.

Steely McSmash
03-21-2010, 07:54 PM
I think we will draft a receiver before the 5th round I just have a gutsy feeling.

I think so too. I've heard that they're interested in Golden Tate. Also interest in Barnes.

It doesn't all add up with the FA additions unless they have a plan to make roster space or dealing those guys.

ARE particularly, there's no real need for him. I don't see the Rooney's dealing a guy that has such a relationship with the team though. Maybe if they get rid of logan they'll have room for a guy.

Before those signings I was just thinking that with 3 good receivers, we'd finally be in position to go without vet insurance and get some more young talent. Grisham was maybe going to become a ST guy and slot backup. Now I don't see what the plan is.

khorton9986
03-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I doubt we draft a receiver. Barnes is very underrated though. I don't care what his measurables are, the man caught 155 passes in a single season lol.

jonslow
03-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I doubt we draft a receiver. Barnes is very underrated though. I don't care what his measurables are, the man caught 155 passes in a single season lol.

Agreed. He didn't even get an invite to the combine because people thought he would run a 4.8 or something... Instead he ran a high 4.5 at BG's pro day and will undoubtedly go in the late rounds. If we can get him late in the draft after addressing major needs, I'll be ecstatic.